Start by marking “Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days” as Want to Read:
Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days

Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  2,063 Ratings  ·  81 Reviews
Gathered from Gaiman's long career, this omnibus edition includes Gaiman's early work on Death, John Constantine: Hellblazer and Swamp Thing, as well as a never-before-published Sandman story. An introduction by Gaiman himself is also included.
Paperback
Published by Titan Books (UK) (first published January 1st 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Neil Gaiman's Midnight Days

Tender Is the Night by F. Scott FitzgeraldA Midsummer Night's Dream by William ShakespeareTwelfth Night by William ShakespeareLong Day's Journey Into Night by Eugene O'NeillThe Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Books that have Night in the title.
133rd out of 209 books — 8 voters
Dragons of Autumn Twilight by Margaret WeisWildfire at Midnight by Mary StewartMidnight at Marble Arch by Anne PerryMidnight by Dean KoontzIn the Night Kitchen by Maurice Sendak
Morning, Noon, and Night
95th out of 107 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Lee Thompson
Dec 17, 2015 Lee Thompson rated it really liked it
I love reading an author's early work, and Gaiman has had mad skills since the beginning of his publishing career. He's so worth your time. Also check out Trigger Warning and the complete Sandman series.
GingerDoll
Dec 02, 2011 GingerDoll rated it it was amazing
I am completely biased, but any collection of early Neil Gaiman stories that has 'Hold Me' from Hellblazer gets five stars. I'd been looking for that story for years after someone lent me the single issue comic. It had a physical impact - and even now 26 years later it still gets me in the gut every time.

I also really enjoyed the Sandman Midnight Theatre story, which has an epic feel for a short story. Oh, and it also has that wonderful creation Dream of the Endless trapped in his glass jar. No
Ma'Belle
Dec 27, 2014 Ma'Belle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
***Update/request*** I read the paperback collection back in '09 and would like to know if there are any must-have additions to the 2012 Deluxe Edition hardcover re-release. Please comment on this review to let me (and others) know.

In the main introduction to this collection of mostly stand-alone comics, Neil Gaiman says that one of them is the best short story he's done. Having read a lot of Neil Gaiman and loved most of it, this struck me as a big piece of genuine hype, and I hoped that he wou
Cathy
Dec 22, 2015 Cathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics, fantasia
I am a Neil Gaiman’s fan, so I was ecstatic when a friend gave me this book. It’s a collection of five comics of this author in collaboration with several illustrators. The stories were written by Gaiman since the 80s to the present day. As usual, the author makes an introductory note to every story worth reading.

Not a spectacular book. The stories had varied subjects. I’ve never read the Swamp Thing comic, so the first two stories didn’t piqued my interest, though I’ve liked the illustrations.
Sookie
Aug 12, 2016 Sookie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2016
A biased purchase purely for the Writer-Artist combination that is Gaiman-McKean. The collection is a hit or miss given one's affection for the characters that are re-imagined.

Hold Me, a Hellblazer story, is brilliant. Midnight Theater set in The Sandman universe is fantastic. The rest are good; nothing great, nothing exceptional.
Mark Lawrence
Sep 25, 2013 Mark Lawrence rated it liked it
My son bought me this at the Bristol Comics Fare this year, knowing how much I love the Sandman graphic novels.

Midnight Days is a collection of shorter pieces. Like a Monty Python show it has touches of genius and parts that fall flat.

The 'Sandman' section had some great writing and was good to read having read the Sandman books, but it did rather drag.

Early work by Gaiman showing a ton of promise. Not quite there yet - but when he does get 'there' in his later work he does it in spades.

I've rea
Alan Chen
Jan 12, 2016 Alan Chen rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
This is a bit of a hodge podge of stuff that never got collected. The quality varies from meh to great. The art varies widely too since it's all done by different artists. The longest story is a story of Dream told by a minor character set in Victorian London in a classic mystery style. Unfortunately it seems Gaiman enjoyed it more than any of his readers because there was a lot of fluff and very little substance. The best was a John Constantine story all done in black and white. It's dark and s ...more
Kammie
Sep 04, 2012 Kammie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This was a beautiful book in every way. I am now a Neil Gaiman fan!
PurplyCookie
The stories in this collection show the early evolution of this great fantasy writer, and those expecting Gaiman at the top of his game will be disappointed. This compilation is like Gaiman 101 because you get to see the foundations. I found it a tad fascinating to see little gems of what was to come twinkling through the growth.

At least Gaiman has written an introduction to each of these stories as well, which is a definite bonus.

"Jack in the Green" >> Apparently the second comics story
Artur Coelho
Apr 21, 2016 Artur Coelho rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Esta edição de luxo da Panini Books é uma boa adição às estantes de leitores que sejam fãs do trabalho de Neil Gaiman nos diferentes media, bem como aos conhecedores do trabalho inovador para a época de edição da Vertigo. Ler as traduções para o vernacular brasileiro tem o seu quê de doloroso, mas é o preço a pagar para ter esta obra em português. Recensão completa no aCalopsia: Dias da Meia Noite.
Jessica
May 22, 2016 Jessica rated it did not like it
Shelves: library-public
As a long time fan of Gaiman's - and more accurately, of his short stories and briefer arcs in his graphic novels - I was surprised to find this an arduous read. About halfway through, I clicked with why I don't really bother with his work and haven't worried about removing him from my reading habits: he is almost obscenely obsessed with what he both deems and delegates to 'the other'.

He and Palmer have both been recipients of excess praise for thinking beyond the box but frankly they both fetis
Nick
Sep 27, 2014 Nick rated it it was ok
A collection of short stories. Two of these tie in with Alan Moore's "Swamp Thing" run, which I admit I've never read and know nothing about; I guess Swamp Thing is a good guy, but I keep thinking he's going to go Creature from the Black Lagoon and start killing teenagers.

Anyway! The first story, "Jack-In-The-Green", has Swamp Thing tending to one of his dying friends, and then burying him. Not very exciting. Neither is the second short, "Shaggy God Stories", where a sentient tree wanders around
Sam
Mar 31, 2014 Sam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This collection brings together some of Gaiman's earliest works and gives brief glimpses and insights into the various worlds he has created since from John Constantine to Sandman. The first few stories about Jack in the Green and Swamp Thing were not really my cup of tea, they were enjoyable but not overly so. While the latter two stories of Hold Me and the Sandman Midnight Theatre were superb and up to Gaiman's usual superb standard, and ones that I obviously enjoyed much more, the latter of w ...more
Zac
Nov 29, 2014 Zac rated it it was ok
So I bought this the other day primarily (actually, solely) for the unpublished Swamp Thing story, and read the rest of the book pretty quickly. As a result, I think I've decided that Neil Gaiman is not really for me. I think that he's a thoughtful writer, but I just find it hard to engage with his stories. I feel like he has an idea or theme and he skirts around it to the extent that, by the end of it, you can't really work out what his point was. That said, I did really, really enjoy his secti ...more
Cliff Bumgardner
Mar 16, 2013 Cliff Bumgardner rated it it was amazing
Shelves: partially-read
March 16'th, 2013:

Read "Hold Me." I'd never read an issue of Hellblazer, so I was a little confused at first, but wow does it end strong. A line from the book has instantly become one of my favorite quotes. I propose we put "In Gaiman We Trust" on our money. Yeah, I know he's not American, but neither is God. ;)
Feather Mista
Mar 05, 2010 Feather Mista rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Gaimanistas
Recommended to Feather by: Bajo precio.
Suma cuatro estrellitas por acumulación. Quizás ninguna de las historias que recopila este tomo sea espectacular (con excepción de "Abrázame"), pero la suma de todas ellas dan por resultado un tomo de lo más entretenido y recomendable. Cuando lo relea seguro lo rerreseñe.
Jessiqa
Mar 02, 2014 Jessiqa rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-but-unowned
This is basically a book of short stories. It's a collection of random stories, most of which have been published elsewhere, in comic form. The main story is called Sandman Midnight Theater. This puts both Sandman characters (Sandmen?) together in one story. It's during the time when Gaiman's Sandman is being held captive by that creepy old dude, and much of the action takes place at a party at this old man's house. The original Sandman is among the guests. In this manner, it takes the form of t ...more
Andrewcharles420
Apr 05, 2014 Andrewcharles420 rated it liked it
A few unrelated comics from early in Neil Gaiman's career. Good to read if you like the author. If you're unfamiliar, I'd recommend above all else the Sandman series!

Swamp Thing in the past as an intelligent, ponderous creature, watching humans deal with the plague.
In a more modern story, some people on the outskirts of Swamp Thing's life are hassled by the government.
Another story has a plant man trying to reason with plant-gods.
'Hold Me' is surprisingly touching for such a darkly mooded piec
Reuven Fischer
Apr 17, 2013 Reuven Fischer rated it liked it
Awesome collection of short stories by Neil Gaiman. After reading this collection, I need to jump back into my Sandman trades and continue where I left off.
Tomás
Mar 17, 2016 Tomás rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Este tomo reúne algunas historias cortas de Gaiman que, si bien no son nada del otro mundo, son entretenidas de leer.

Por otro lado, está en el tomo la historia de Hellblazer "Hold me", un número increíble que me pareció superior a varias de las historias de John Constantine que tengo leídas. Verdaderamente hermosa, bien dibujada, escrita con sentimiento, imposible no sentirse tocado por esta historia corta (un par de páginas más tendría que tener porque es una genialidad).

EL otro punto fuerte, y
T4ncr3d1
Aug 24, 2013 T4ncr3d1 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
"Ci stringiamo quando è buio, ma il buio non riusciamo mai a scacciarlo. Gli orrori sono ancora lì. Gli incubi continuano a camminare."

Pochi artisti possono vantare una collezione dei lavori di esordio così bella, ricca e d'impatto come questa. Dai primi goffi tentativi, intrisi di omaggio artistico, alla ricerca di uno stile proprio passando per le più disparate storie e tecniche, questa raccolta riesce nello scopo di restituire quella che fu la giovinezza fumettistica di Neil Gaiman e, attrave
Hollowspine
Jul 28, 2014 Hollowspine rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Odds and bits of Neil Gaiman's stories for comic series. Some relate to Swamp Thing others to the Sandman or Hellblazer series.

Perhaps because I know very little of Alan Moore's work some of it was a bit lost on me I'm sure, as I've never really liked the Swamp Thing (probably because all I know of it is what I thought was a terrible 70's television show), but in the first story of the book "Jack of the Green" I really enjoyed the story of this particular "elemental" Jack of the Green.

I've also
Alpa Dedhia
Jun 10, 2011 Alpa Dedhia rated it liked it
here are 5 stories in this books

Jack In The Green
Drawn by Stephen Bissette and John Totleben.
Jack in the Green is the story of the ‘Swamp Thing’ at the death of his friend.
I dont know much of the Swamp Thing as I have just started reading Neil Gaiman’s graphic novels. As a first time reader of Swamp Thing, I could follow the story but there was nothing much in it. The graphics were nice and the Swamp thing was nicely drawn.
Brothers
Drawn by Richard Piers Rayner and Mike Hoffman.
This is supposed t
L
Feb 16, 2014 L rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Of the small stories/comics that are within this compilation, "Hold Me" is by far the best. I don't believe I have ever encountered a comic where the story and art style intermingle so perfectly.

"Jack in the Green"

Art: 5 stars

"Sandman Midnight Theater"
Story: 4 stars
Art: 4 stars

"Welcome Back to the House of Mystery"
Story: 2 stars
Art: 2 stars
Dony Grayman
CORREGIR DESCRIPCIÓN: Alguien puso su reseña personal en el lugar de la descripción general.

Incluye varios comics cortos de Neil Gaiman escritos para distintos títulos de DC. El comic "Abrazame" de Hellblazer está incluido también en Hellblazer Obra completa.
A Reader's Heaven
I started this collection of Neil Gaiman graphic work with high expectations...and was rewarded for most of the stories.

Favourites included The Sandman tale and the John Constantine story (so much so that I am tracking down more of them.)

However, the collection was a little hit and miss all up but certainly worth a read if there is some Gaiman you have missed.

Paul
ARH
Mike Keirsbilck
Mar 14, 2013 Mike Keirsbilck rated it liked it
Shelves: r-52-books
This one is a collection of odd bits and bops. Some of the stuff is not that easy for me to grasp, as I have virtually no background in comics. When I see a green man made out of foliage, I don't link it to The Swamp Thing instantly. I'm sure not having this background doesn't really help me when it comes to appreciating these little tales. However, it does give me an insight how Gaiman has grown into the medium. From a small and clumsy little tale, to a long and self-assured story. It's all the ...more
Kartik
Aug 02, 2012 Kartik rated it really liked it
A collection of Neil Gaiman's early works, Midnight Days clearly shows his depth as a writer of fantasy.

The compilation includes three Swamp Thing stories, one John Constantine story and - the best for last - a Sandman crossover featuring both Wesley Dodds and Dream of the Endless.

None of the stories are in the main plot arc of any of the series - I think - and so can be read on their own. Gaiman brings his signature mythological and philosophical touch to each of the stories.

Particularly, the l
Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Feb 27, 2016 Jean-Pierre Vidrine rated it it was amazing
The stories here are rare gems from an incredible writer. They don't constitute any major events (save perhaps the return of one obscure character to planet) nor any continuity overhauls. In fact there is little in the way of physical conflict here. They are thoughtful little additions to the shared universe to be pondered upon or simply short stories to be enjoyed on their own.
David Wickham
Too many collections throw the best stories at the beginning of the book as a way to make the reader think the whole book is full of great stories. This is sadly not the case in like 99%. This book, however, is the exception to that rule! Amazing collection of short story comics.
  • Vertigo: Winter's Edge (Graphic Novel)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 5: Girl in the Box
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Lucifer, Vol. 2: Children and Monsters
  • Prince of Stories: The Many Worlds of Neil Gaiman
  • Taller Tales
  • Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • The Neil Gaiman Reader
  • Superman: Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow?
  • Comic Book Tattoo
  • Hellblazer, Vol. 5: Dangerous Habits (Hellblazer New Edition, #5)

“When we hold each other, in the darkness, it doesn't make the darkness go away. The bad things are still out there. The nightmares still walking. When we hold each other we feel not safe, but better. "It's all right" we whisper, "I'm here, I love you." and we lie: "I'll never leave you." For just a moment or two the darkness doesn't seem so bad.” 2024 likes