The Last Temptation

The Last Temptation

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  3,029 ratings  ·  108 reviews
Steven is afraid. Afraid of ghost stories, afraid of growing up... just afraid. That is, until he meets the mysterious Showman and his Theatre of the Real. Steven takes a ticket and watches the show on a dare, but getting out of the performance will be harder than he ever imagined. And then Steven learns what it is to be truly afraid.
Neil Gaiman, internationally acclaimed...more
Published September 13th 2005 by Dark Horse Comics (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Temptation

Ender's Game by Orson Scott CardNerd Do Well by Simon PeggA batalha do Apocalipse by Eduardo SpohrThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Last Temptation by Neil Gaiman
Recomendo
5th out of 25 books — 3 voters
Sandman Absolute 1 by Neil GaimanWatchmen by Alan MooreThe Last Temptation by Neil GaimanV de Vendetta by Alan MoorePokemon Graphic Novel, Volume 1 by Toshihiro Ono
Comics
3rd out of 22 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Becky
3.5 Stars

I recently read on someone's blog that it's not good for reviewers to review books without a knowledge of the genre, the author, the series, etc to inform their opinion.

Hrmph.

While I can see why that would be beneficial, on one level at least, I mostly disagree with it overall. I think books can, and should, be judged on their own merit. I think that, if I pick up a book, it needs to stand on its own and not use my previous experience with the author's other books as a crutch. I think...more
Abhishek
Neil Gaiman could simply write about a tree, and one would still love it. He has a certain charm in his writing, something effortless about him, that makes reading his books also seem effortless. Having said that, The Last Temptation is unlikely to be one of his finest works. This wasn't actually intended to be a book to begin with. Neil Gaiman had gotten together with rock singer Alice Cooper for the latter's next album. And from there the idea to develop a 3-part comic book also developed.

The...more
Sam Quixote
A mysterious theatre and a charismatic showman with an uncanny resemblance to Alice Cooper appear down an alley where before nothing stood, tempting a young boy inside for a show he won't soon forget - warning signs anyone? Not if you're a character in a Neil Gaiman book!

The boy is taken on a roller-coaster ride of strange performances in the theatre and when he escapes to the real world is still dogged by a Krueger-esque Cooper who haunts his dreams and waking life. But why is he doing this? S...more
M—
Book signed by Gaiman at the 2005 National Book Festival, where Gaiman was promoting his new Anansi Boys novel. Visited NBF at last minute, tagging along after a friend who had invited me down several times over the course of the preceding week because she really wanted to see the person whose name I heard as: Neil Diamond. I wasn't interested in traveling two hours to meet a singer whose music I'm not interested in, and it was only the night before the festival that she finally said, "I thought...more
John
I picked the book up on a whimsy. I like Gaiman, and this book looked different from the rest.

The introduction was among the most interesting parts for me, the prose that allowed Gaiman to tell how Last Temptation came about. Helping write a concept album for Alice Cooper sounded exciting and neat, and I imagine it is an opportunity that happens too often. Within the context of the album, the resulting graphic novel take form.

The tale is of Steven, a boy pressed with many fears and threats in hi...more
Rhonda
One of the only 'graphic novels' I have ever read. Of course I had to read it because the music cd it goes hand in hand with is one of my favorite Alice Cooper albums.

When I first read it, I had no idea who Neil Gaiman was or what the big deal was about him. Now I do and it almost makes me want to check out his previous graphic novel work, Sandman (I think).

Anyway, this graphic novel gives a story to a collection of songs. It's a tale about the pull between good and evil that affects one young m...more
Manda
I decided to read this while listening to Alice Cooper's album "The Last Temptation" just for fun. :) The soundtrack added an interesting layer to the book because mentally I wouldn't have had that style of music in mind while I was reading and may have missed an aspect of how it was meant to be presented. Overall I appreciated it, although I would have liked a little more info on the Showman, he didn't feel satisfactorily fleshed out to me. But maybe that's part of what makes him creepy, by not...more
verbava
добре відчутно, що то така промо-книжка. зате там гарний еліс купер.
Emmy
I love Neil Gaiman and Alice Cooper. Put the two of them together, and I'm sure to love the finished product....right?

Well, yes. Yes, I did. The Last Temptation was an unusual piece, short, sweet, and to the general allegorical point. It was just the right amount of creepy with a pinch of morality. It was a fun and easy read.

My only complaint was that I wished it was a bit longer. With more space to expand, it could have been a lot richer and more detailed. And I think that would have been a pos...more
Luciana Darce
Steven é um garoto medroso. Do tipo que tem medo até mesmo de sua própria sombra. O que não é exatamente uma qualidade que você quer demonstrar na frente de seus colegas de turma que você quer impressionar para assim “fazer parte da turma”. Talvez por isso ele tenha sido o escolhido. Por isso o reflexo no espelho conversa de volta com ele. É necessário um tipo de estupidez e covardia muito específicas para que alguém seja impelido à coragem necessária para entrar no Teatro do Real.

Fiquei surpres...more
Izlinda
This book has been on my to-read/to-buy list for a long time. I'm a big Neil Gaiman fan so when I finally saw this book in the bookstore I was pretty "Yay!"

I really liked the introduction. Apparently it was out of print a long time ago and Dark Horse (Yay, Dark Horse!) decided to re-print it. Reading the background information about Alice Cooper and Neil Gaiman's collaboration was really great.

There were some good lines and illustrations in the book. I give it a 3-star is because while I would...more
Tricia
Neil Gaiman meets the legendary rock and roll star Alice Cooper to collaborate Cooper’s music [his album, The Last Temptation] written into story with this comic book, The Last Temptation [obviously, under the same name of the album]. Because in their time, truth speaking, there aren’t any good comics done. This book is a three-act comic that tells the adventures of the young boy name Steven in the hands of this Showman in his Theatre of the Real or Grand Guiginol.

Steven is afraid. Afraid of gh...more
Johnny
In the tradition of Something Wicked This Way Comes, this graphic novel posits a young boy intrigued by a mysteriously appearing entertainment that is fronted by an equally mysterious showman. Based on a collaboration with real-life showman, Alice Cooper, Neil Gaiman has created an engaging story of temptation that complements Cooper's album of the same name, The Last Temptation.

As the album begins with the song, "Sideshow," where a bored boy longs for some kind of sideshow or freak show, so do...more
PurplyCookie
Gaiman meets rock star Alice Cooper in this Halloween tale that originally appeared in the early 1990s. It adapts a story from Cooper's album "Lost in America", to which Gaiman contributed story and lyrics.

Gaiman manages to elevate the most frequent scene in literature -- that of evil tempting innocence and offering fantasies come true, all in exchange for the poor sap's soul -- into something quite unique.

However, this work fell short of my expectation. I really didn't care what happens to St...more
Felix Zilich
В провинциальный городок приезжает бродячий театр. Его странный хозяин с белым лицом и длинными немытыми космами каждый день стоит на его ступенях и приглашает прохожих посетить его первое представление. Мальчик по имени Стивен соглашается это сделать, и его жизнь в тот же день меняется окончательно и бесповоротно. Он знакомится с живущей в театре толпой зомби и получает от хозяина небывалое предложение – работа в его театре в обмен на вечную жизнь.

Ощущая какой-то подвох, герой решает проверить...more
Tancredi
Fumetto, romanzo, arte, musica: tutto questo e molto altro.

Questa graphic novel è un autentico gioiellino, uno di quelli irripetibili, un esperimento che il caso ha voluto venisse fuori come un capolavoro.
Neil Gaiman è Neil Gaiman: non ha bisogno di presentazioni. Bastano poche pagine per ambientarsi nelle sue storie. Qui il tratteggio del surreale si unisce alla magistrale caratterizzazione del protagonista. Fantasia surreale da un lato e psicologia spicciola dall'altra: Neil Gaiman ha un modo

Jean-Pierre Vidrine
Rock n' Roll and comic books, two of my favorite things. Alice Cooper and Neil Gaiman, two of my favorite people. This being my second time reading this collection, I read each of the three acts slowly, drinking in the richness of Gaiman's words and more greatly appreciating Michael Zulli's artwork. This isn't a Sandman book, weaving various mythologies into the tapestry of a comic book horror continuity. This also isn't one of those flash and bang action comic books. This is a straightforward p...more
Christopher
Unless you're a particular Neil Gaiman fan (which I am) or likewise a fan of Alice Cooper, I might not bother with this. It is another enjoyable example, but by no means outshines Gaiman's other works. However, for those who like Gaiman's style, and are always happy to read more of it, this is a darker than usual example of his typically engaging and entertaining storytelling.

Zulli's artwork is fitting and disturbing and fascinating to look at. Spend some time looking at the art and you won't be...more
Cathy Winton
I got the first part of this with Alice Cooper's CD and meant to find the other parts, but somehow never got round to it - until i randomly found the complete copy many years later in a small comic book shop in Harrogate I happened upon by chance :) Oh fate how I love thee sometimes!
Avigayil Morris
This was the first graphic novel I ever read - 12 years ago. A friend lent it to me because I loved Alice Cooper. It is a beautiful work of art, has a great story line, and is very well written (got to love Gaiman!). One of my treasures.
Nicholas Whyte
http://nhw.livejournal.com/835845.html[return][return]Written by Neil Gaiman in consultation with Alice Cooper, tying in with Cooper's album of the same name. I know almost nothing about Cooper except that he wears make-up. Even so, I really enjoyed this brief tale of Steven, an adolescent who is tempted by the sinister manager of the Theatre of the Real (a Cooper lookalike) with the offer of eternal life at an unspeakable price. It would have been better to read it at Halloween; it would certai...more
Anneli
A good little short story very much reflecting the album it's based on. I think Gaiman really gets the character of Alice Cooper. Another work of Gaiman I've liked. Short, cool and a bit creepy.
Hollowspine
Neil Gaiman and Alice Cooper team up in this creepy comic book. The Showman (Alice Cooper in appearance) invites a young man into view his delightful show of horror and the macabre. The boy, in an attempt to prove his bravery to his less than savory friends, goes with the Showman and watches his show, but even once he escapes the theater the show seems to go on. Not only a comic about an ancient evil, but a coming-of-age story as well. It is also a perfect read for the October season, due to the...more
Amber
Is there really more to say than "collaboration between Alice Cooper and Neil Gaiman"? This story had very Stephen King-esque qualities to it - definitely the nostalgia for youth and the allure of dark magic. The illustrations were so rich, it was easy to forget it's only black and white. From the decaying theater where you could smell the musty velvet curtains to the brisk fall small town streets where leaves and wind cut our protagonist's thin frame, this book managed to evoke the particulars...more
Ryan
Love Alice cooper, love Neil Gaiman and love Michael Zulli. Top shelf art and pretty good story.
Paul
Neil Gaiman, Alice Cooper and Michael Zulli
Now there's three names you wouldn't expect to write in the same sentence.
I haven't listened to Cooper's Album version of this, but from reading the book, I was transported back to Cooper's early days of Welcome to my Nightmare and School's Out... which were two of the very first 33rpm albums I'd ever owned.
So simply on a nostalgic note, this for me, was very pleasant to read.
Zulli's artwork is as always, some of the best.
Aaron Rubman
For those of you who know me as "Cooper," this book was actually my first exposure to Alice Cooper (aside from Wayne's World, when he was just some rock star I didn't know). It is an amazing work which pays tribute to both the truthful unreality of the theater and the works of Ray Bradbury, two of my longtime passions.

I was actually underwhelmed when I first heard the accompanying album, though You're My Temptation remains one of my all time favorite songs.
Joe
Boring. I wasn't that crazy about Gaiman's Sandman until I read the last few books of the series, which I thought were very, very, very good. The Last Temptation, also written by Gaiman, reminds me a little too much of the earlier books, where some character will say something meant to sound ominous and creepy, except to me, it just sounded cheesy. I guess once you start creeping up on middle age, the old school horrors just don't do it anymore.
Rachel Hall
Would have liked it a lot better without Alice Cooper.
  • Hanging Out with the Dream King
  • Vamps 1 de 2 (Colección Vertigo #1)
  • The Books of Magic, Volume 3: Reckonings
  • Eden (Liberty Meadows #1)
  • Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture 7 (Genshiken: The Society for the Study of Modern Visual Culture, #7)
  • Negima!: Magister Negi Magi, Volume 17
  • The Matrix Comics, Vol. 1
  • Gullivera
  • The Little Endless Storybook
  • Wonder Woman, Vol. 1: Gods and Mortals
  • The Dreaming: Through the Gates of Horn and Ivory
  • FreakAngels, Volume 6 (FreakAngels, #6)
  • The Sandman Companion
  • The Furies
  • Sandman Mystery Theatre, Vol. 2: The Face and the Brute
  • Albion
  • Maitena: Mujeres Escogidas (Nueva Biblioteca Clarín de la Historieta, #1)
  • The Dreaming: Beyond the Shores of Night
American Gods (American Gods, #1) The Graveyard Book Coraline Neverwhere Stardust