Start by marking “Harlequin Valentine” as Want to Read:
Harlequin Valentine

Harlequin Valentine

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,437 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
In this modern retelling of a classic commedia dell' arte legend of tomfoolery and hopeless, fawning love, creators Neil Gaiman (Sandman) and John Bolton (Manbat: Batman) update the relation of Harlequin and Columbine. A buffoon burdened with a brimming heart, Harlequin chases his sensible, oblivious Columbine around the streets of a city, having given his heart freely. Co ...more
40 pages
Published (first published November 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Harlequin Valentine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Harlequin Valentine

Watchmen by Alan MooreV for Vendetta by Alan MooreThe Sandman, Vol. 1 by Neil GaimanAll-Star Superman by Grant MorrisonThe Sandman, Vol. 3 by Neil Gaiman
Who's Afraid of Comic Books
17th out of 71 books — 31 voters
City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickClockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadPassion by Lauren Kate
Books I Must Read In 2011
294th out of 345 books — 457 voters

More lists with this book...

Airiz C
Jun 25, 2011 Airiz C rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers who like weird romances, readers familiar with Comedia dell'arte/Brit Pantomime
Would you give your heart to someone for Valentines’ Day—literally? Neil Gaiman’s buffoonish Harlequin certainly will. In this romantically twisted re-imagining of Comedia dell’Arte and the British Pantomime, Gaiman once again proved that he is a wizard of storytelling. Couple that with John Bolton’s adroit hands with a palette of colors and what you get is a little literary treasure that will leave a lingering feeling in you after you turn the last page.

Harlequin Valentine follows the story of
L. Alexandra
Aug 12, 2013 L. Alexandra rated it really liked it
This comic came at an ironic time for me, that is to say, two stories before I would've read its original story in Fragile Things. At the tail-end of my Neil Gaiman binge, I was alternating between some of his comics, and the short stories in the aforementioned collection. I was unaware that Gaiman had transformed more than a few of his short stories into graphic novels. It was interesting reading the graphic novel first. Insofar as I can tell, there are no changes between the short story and th ...more
Pablo
Feb 01, 2016 Pablo rated it liked it
One of Gaiman's earliest works and it shows. It's an entertaining tale that brings back the delights of 'Comedia dell'Arte' to modern times, but even if it feels as a chapter of 'The Sandman' somehow it lacks its strength. Still, an entertaining read!
Marsha
Valentine is a time for lovers, yet set in the one of the coldest months of the year in many climes. How is happiness and romance supposed to bloom in a time when no one is in the mood to take off their clothes? A certain Harlequin has no concern for that, only his oblivious Columbine, whose feelings of love may not be the same as his… Gaiman gives us a tale of surprises, changes and trickery where nothing is as it seems and love itself can be taken off balance. In muted, colored backgrounds, sh ...more
James
Jan 16, 2016 James rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoroughly engaging short graphic novel, it is visually and dramatically compelling. The story for me was held together by the sense that the relationships between these characters, even those briefly glimpsed, were natural and very real. The protagonist of the Harlequin is seemingly trapped between his nature and his desire, his interest trapped between experience and a belief in what cannot be seen, and the other characters seemingly trapped by their roles and jobs on a cold Valentine's Day. ...more
Benja
Sep 08, 2015 Benja rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tale of a mischievous, invisible harlequin who attempts to romance a lonely girl on St. Valentine's Day. The harlequin literally gives his heart to the girl, nailing the bloody thing to her front door and then sort of following her around, waiting for her to notice him.

The story is short and offbeat enough that you continue reading, but it never really grounds you with a specific tone, and fails to convey any lasting emotion other than one of strangeness. Not because of its supernatural trickste
PurplyCookie
Harlequin Valentine is a bloody and romantic short story later rewritten into a graphic novel by Neil Gaiman & illustrated by John Bolton, based on the old Commedia dell'arte and Harlequinade pantomime. The short story has been republished in Gaiman's collection of short stories in "Fragile Things."

The story takes place on February 14 with the Harlequin giving Missy his heart, literally speaking, by nailing it to her door. The story follows the Missy as she tries to discover who gave her thi
Ceci
Nov 11, 2008 Ceci rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in art, tradition, history and weird but wonderful stories
Harlequin Valentine is such a delightful cocktail of quirkiness, oddity and romaticism that one cannot help but love it. I have always enjoyed pantomimes and the harlequinades (which I've only seen on film and in classib British tv series) and this is a charming re-telling of the old tale of the Harlequin and Columbine in the best Commedia dell'Arte tradition.

At first, I wasn't sure if I liked Bolton's illustrations, as beautiful and eerie as they are since they looked so much like eighties' fa
Bruce Nordstrom
Jul 09, 2015 Bruce Nordstrom rated it really liked it
I saw this one at the library and just started looking through it. Next thing I knew I was ordering a copy from Amazon.

This a love story which examines the nature of Love. It begins on Valentine's Day, and a man gives his heart to a young woman. Literally. But she does not scorn him. Instead she keeps his heart. And then things start to get weird.

An amazing story which I keep re-reading and finding more. Neil Gaiman's story is brilliant, and Tom Boulton's artwork makes it so great.
Andrea
Arlequín está enamorado y ha decidido entregar su corazón el día de San Valentín a su amada. De manera literal. Clavado en la puerta de su casa con un alfiler de sombrero.

Missy, la Colombina, tiene sentimientos diferentes a los del arlequín y no duda en devorar su corazón.

Interesante revisión del clásico de la Comedia del arte.

No me ha gustado demasiado el arte gráfico.
Leah
Jan 29, 2015 Leah rated it really liked it
Gaiman's modern magical retelling of an age old story with age old theatrical tropes was a real treat. It was a nice respite from the longer books I've been trying to make myself read. The art was beautiful, if only a little wonky at times. I initially bought this as an unplanned Valentine's Day gift for my boyfriend who loves Neil at least as much as I do.
Angie
Harlequin is searching for and trying to seduce his new Valentine in this graphic novel from Neil Gaiman. Since his seduction starts with him pinning his bleeding heart onto her front door you know you are not in for a regular seduction. The story is a bit gruesome, but entertaining. I enjoyed the history of the Harlequin story that Gaiman included at the back.
Phoenix
Jun 11, 2011 Phoenix rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I just finished this today. While I've always loved this short story, I found that I didn't like it as much when adapted to a visual format. I think it's mostly because I'm selfish when I've already read certain stories long before and have a specific image of all the characters in my head. I didn't picture Missy the way the artist of this graphic novel did, nor Harlequin for that matter. The atmosphere overall fit the tone of the story, but again, I think I preferred it when there weren't pictu ...more
Aaron Chandler
Thou i haven't read this story on this comic book, i have read it in one of his other works. This interesting and a weird and truly interesting love story, i had to just sit back and enjoy this. Got me interested in the Harlequin legend, i mean this is truly and great story about love and obsession. I mean this is funny it was in a way what you need to get thou love. This was something golden, i mean i loved it. there is simply nothing else to say. i wanna get the comic cause well i love that st ...more
Paul Eckert
Jun 10, 2011 Paul Eckert rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great short story in which a Harlequin roams the streets in a city, trying to win the affections of a particular woman. In a short space, Gaiman does a great job of introducing the mythical background of the Harlequin and playing it into the story. The ending was a welcome surprise and brought the story full circle.

The illustration complimented the story well, and told its part of the story very effectively. The Harlequin was well-realized, and the soft focus of the drawings gives the story a d
Ellioth Mess
El guión es genial. Pero los dibujos parecen sacados de un libro para aprender inglés cuando estás en la primaria. Les falta expresión, fuerza, connotación.
Victoria
Jun 22, 2013 Victoria rated it liked it

This very short, 40-page graphic novel tells the story of a harlequin who falls in love with a woman, Missy, on Valentine's Day. To exhibit his affection, he nails his heart to her door with a hat pin. The story progresses from there as the harlequin follows Missy about her day, her carrying his heart along. The plot is drawn from the tropes used in old Commedia dell'arte, with some of the style of English harlequins thrown in.

The art style, comprised of digitally enhanced photos that a
Ako
Mar 13, 2008 Ako rated it really liked it
Once again, Neil Gaiman has written a heart-melting modern fairy tale and blended it with a contemporary point of view and a sprinkle of fairy dust.

After literally giving his heart, Harlequin the pantomime chased his heart desire on a Valentine Day. Later on in the city, he found such a charming surprise in town. It's a story of hopeless love. Strange but romantically gorgeous. Just perfect for the ones who found that spending Valentine Day alone as something hard to swallow.

It's poetic and has
Valeria
Oct 19, 2014 Valeria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amé esta historia y las ilustraciones tan bellas. Sin duda quedo entre mis favoritos.
Frans Karlsson
May 03, 2014 Frans Karlsson rated it liked it
Shelves: comics-fantasy
A book about how Harlequin gives away his whole heart to Missy (Columbine).
Jose Gonzalez
Apr 27, 2015 Jose Gonzalez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Un relato bonito y misterioso. También algo oscuro, pero magnífico.
GONZA
Mar 14, 2015 GONZA rated it liked it
Shelves: biblioteca
I was hoping for something better.

Speravo in qualcosa di meglio.
Kat Desi
Nov 30, 2014 Kat Desi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was my first ever Gaiman read; based on the Commedia dell'arte and Harlequinade pantomime, Gaiman retells the story of Harlequin and Columbine.
Lía Erazo
Jan 07, 2015 Lía Erazo rated it really liked it
Una belleza que hay que tener en las manos
T4ncr3d1
Jan 29, 2011 T4ncr3d1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
"Ahi, sventura, Arlecchino innamorato è una triste creatura"

Può capitare che si usi l'espressione "io le ho donato il mio cuore, e lei se lo è mangiato". Gaiman ha pensato bene di scriverci un fumetto.
E così, qui troviamo un Arlecchino tristemente innamorato che regala il suo cuore alla donna che ama, glielo inchioda alla porta. Ma lei, indifferente, preferisce mangiarselo.
Un'altra fiaba dark, pensata per la festa degli innamorati.
Se questo non è genio, è una forma di follia tanto vicina alla g
Cale
Jan 21, 2015 Cale rated it liked it
This quick tale takes the Harlequin from the Commedia Dellarte form and puts him in a modern story about strange romance. It's a simple story, but it has Gaiman's feel to it, with a world that is almost normal, but just slightly bent, and things work out in an unexpected way. The art is distinctive, both photo-referenced and heavily cel shaded. Also interesting is a quick two page 'interview' with John Bolton at the end, which seems like the genesis of Neil Gaiman's directorial debut 'An Intervi ...more
Tammy
May 30, 2014 Tammy rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Harlequin sets out to win the heart of his next valentine, but with Harlequin there's always a trick. Also includes a brief history of Harlequin character.
Marco Mérida
Feb 20, 2013 Marco Mérida rated it liked it
Una de las historias de Gaiman más raras que he leido, pero conmovedora finalmente, lo más perturbador es el estilo de los dibujos, en ocasiones me hicieron sentir incómodo pero creo que de eso se trata, transmitirle una sensación al lector y en ese punto no defrauda.

Extremadamente corto pero entretenido y revelador, el arlequín, invisible que busca a su valentín es un personaje triste más allá de su ostentosa imagen y vemos lo que debe lidiar hasta encontrar a la indicada.
Federiken Masters
Mar 05, 2010 Federiken Masters rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans del autor y de los delirios
Recommended to Federiken by: Val indirectamente
Este libro lo leí antes de regalárselo a una gran amiga porque como es muy impresionable, no sabía si iba a poder tragarlo sin problemas. Resulta que creí que sí pero al final no. Aun así, su lectura (para mí) fue bastante entretenida y el dibujo, rico y expresivo, adapta bastante bien la prosa de Gaiman, ya que si no me equivoco esta historieta está basada en un cuento. Cuando lea el relato y relea el comic luego, seguro lo rerreseñe un cacho.
Miriam
Jun 29, 2008 Miriam rated it really liked it
I realized after I had steeped it that I had chosen St. Valentine tea (the box is decorated with the portrait not of Saint Valentine but of Czar Nicholas). Power of suggestion! Box a lighter, gentler red than the darkly bleeding hearts of this story: cut from breasts, nailed to doors, shown to strangers, devoured. Not bad things! There's nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so. But these tricks are not for kids...
  • The Book of Ballads
  • Lucifer, Vol. 8: The Wolf Beneath the Tree
  • Delirium's Party: A Little Endless Storybook
  • Doom Patrol, Vol. 6: Planet Love
  • The Sandman Companion
  • X-Men and Philosophy: Astonishing Insight and Uncanny Argument in the Mutant X-Verse
  • The Tale of Despereaux: The Graphic Novel
  • Destiny: A Chronicle of Deaths Foretold
  • Iron Man and Philosophy: Facing the Stark Reality
  • Promethea, Vol. 4

“I watch my heart disappearing into her rosebud mouth. My Valentine's jest somehow seems less funny.” 21 likes
“That's the joy of a harlequinade, after all, isn't it? We change our costumes. We change our roles.” 5 likes