Less Than Heroes

Less Than Heroes

2.77 of 5 stars 2.77  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  5 reviews
In the city of Philadelphia there is a tall building at 18th and Market Streets atop of which lives four individuals. They are the official protectors of the city. Their job is to be around when traditional law enforcement fails. But are they really heroes? Meet Philadelphia's contracted super-hero team, Threshold. A quartet more interested in milk and cookies than crime a...more
Published July 20th 2004 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 2004)

Mario
This review originally appeared on my blog, Shared Universe Reviews.

I appreciated Less Than Heroes more than I liked it. It is very good though. It’s unfortunate but my lack of enjoyment can be largely attributed to my distaste for the art. I’ll get to that later though. Yurkovich mentions in an essay collected in the back of the trade paperback that he’s a fan of superhero comics of the Silver and Bronze age. That’s were a lot of the inspiration came from. When reading the comic I also got th...more
Cesar Gerardo
I dont know why people dont get this book, its funny as hell and brings me back the feeling of the 90's and 2000's. Its not the perfect superhero book, its really short and it doesnt have a solid long term story, its more like a recopilation of shorter stories, wich could be annoying because it left a lot of questions pending.

As I said, its a great book, with really good jokes but also great serious and dark reflections. The art is also really good, I liked yourkovich's style, it's always great...more
Nick
This surreal tale wanders between spoof and nightmarish confusion, as the "heroes" of Philadelphia fight crime with super-powers both real and imaginary, and find themselves trapped in a postage stamp, among other odd situations.
I didn't care much for the artist's visual style, but the story was strange enough that I couldn't put it down. It kept me turning the pages, wanting to see what weirdness would come next.
Brandy
A superhero spoof graphic novel. I didn’t particularly care for it—-I found it to be kind of disjointed, like it was mostly written as an excuse to throw in one-liners here and there, rather than telling a funny story.
B-honey
It took a little bit to get into this book, but it ended up being a lot of fun. However, the art work was at times confusing. Overall, pretty darn funny.
Josh
Josh added it
Jul 04, 2014
Grok Testuser
Grok Testuser is currently reading it
Nov 12, 2013
Ria
Ria added it
Nov 01, 2012
Leigh
Leigh added it
Apr 11, 2012
Cristy Rey
Cristy Rey marked it as to-read
May 14, 2011