Start by marking “Drastic: Stories” as Want to Read:
Drastic: Stories

Drastic: Stories

Meet the college graduate working in a whole body–donation clinic; a young woman obsessed with Benedictine monks; a middle-aged woman who becomes a stand-in talk-show guest; unlikely friends who meet in a domestic violence shelter; a young girl and the father who stole her away to escape his wife's mental illness; a graduate student from a suburban family who believes her ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Drastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drastic

Stephanie Holcomb
Just loved this.
I used to avoid short stories but for some reason I've read a few books full of them lately. I usually want more (and I SO do with these) and I feel a little let down. Maud Casey has a wonderful writing style, descriptive, rich characters, just the right amount of metaphors. She writes intelligently without insulting intelligence, but at the same time it's not pretentious. Having read The Shape of Things to Come I recognized one of the stories -- it may have been the first chapte
Mary Lynn
Apr 26, 2011 Mary Lynn rated it it was amazing
Very smart, compelling stories, with plenty of "Oh, Wow" moments throughout. I had a major life revelation after reading the first story in this collection, "Seaworthy." There aren't many fiction writers who pack that kind of punch. I am definitely a Maud Casey fan now, and look forward to reading much more of her fiction.
Caitlin
Mar 09, 2009 Caitlin rated it liked it
oops. i would not recommend reading all of casey all at once. reading the short stories after the shape of things to come, i quickly became saturated with something that felt like, look how weird i am and what strange lovely revelations i have over and over again. something forced or failing, i can't tell.
Mary
Oct 18, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
These stories are bleak, somewhat depressing and very very well written. All stories are about some sort of loss, they left me feeling incomplete and yuk.
Megan
Aug 03, 2011 Megan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice short story collection, but I couldn't get into it.
Anna Maria
Anna Maria rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2016
Jessica Garrett
Jessica Garrett rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2016
Andrea MacPherson
Andrea MacPherson marked it as to-read
Apr 28, 2016
Beamish13
Beamish13 marked it as to-read
Feb 19, 2016
Jon Thorsen
Jon Thorsen rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Nancy
Nancy marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Beiza
Beiza added it
Dec 23, 2015
Miranda Middlewood
Miranda Middlewood marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2015
Rachel Lewis
Rachel Lewis rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Nasuhaa Zain
Nasuhaa Zain marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2015
Bryce
Bryce marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2015
Marygrace
Marygrace rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Megan Hoover
Megan Hoover marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2015
Carlos  Chism
Carlos Chism rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Cary Morton
Cary Morton marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Jane Barnes
Jane Barnes rated it it was amazing
Jan 11, 2015
Linett
Linett marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Jamaiquina
Jamaiquina marked it as to-read
Dec 07, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
Dec 06, 2014
Catherine Thomas
Catherine Thomas marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Jenny Holland
Jenny Holland rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Swati
Swati marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Maud Casey lives in Washington, D.C. She is an Associate Professor of English and teaches in the MFA Creative Writing Program at the University of Maryland. She also teaches in the low-residency MFA Program at Warren Wilson and was a faculty member at the Breadloaf Writers Conference in 2009.

She has received international fellowships from the Fundacion Valparaiso and the Hawthornden International
More about Maud Casey...