Start by marking “Drastic: Stories” as Want to Read:
Drastic: Stories

Drastic: Stories

Meet the college graduate working in a whole body–donation clinic; a young woman obsessed with Benedictine monks; a middle-aged woman who becomes a stand-in talk-show guest; unlikely friends who meet in a domestic violence shelter; a young girl and the father who stole her away to escape his wife's mental illness; a graduate student from a suburban family who believes her ...more
Published July 8th 2003 by Harper Perennial (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Drastic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Drastic

Stephanie Holcomb
Just loved this.
I used to avoid short stories but for some reason I've read a few books full of them lately. I usually want more (and I SO do with these) and I feel a little let down. Maud Casey has a wonderful writing style, descriptive, rich characters, just the right amount of metaphors. She writes intelligently without insulting intelligence, but at the same time it's not pretentious. Having read The Shape of Things to Come I recognized one of the stories -- it may have been the first chapte
Mary Lynn
Apr 26, 2011 Mary Lynn rated it it was amazing
Very smart, compelling stories, with plenty of "Oh, Wow" moments throughout. I had a major life revelation after reading the first story in this collection, "Seaworthy." There aren't many fiction writers who pack that kind of punch. I am definitely a Maud Casey fan now, and look forward to reading much more of her fiction.
Mar 09, 2009 Caitlin rated it liked it
oops. i would not recommend reading all of casey all at once. reading the short stories after the shape of things to come, i quickly became saturated with something that felt like, look how weird i am and what strange lovely revelations i have over and over again. something forced or failing, i can't tell.
Oct 18, 2008 Mary rated it liked it
Shelves: 2008
These stories are bleak, somewhat depressing and very very well written. All stories are about some sort of loss, they left me feeling incomplete and yuk.
Jenny Holland
Jenny Holland rated it really liked it
Oct 07, 2014
Lucy rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2007
Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor rated it liked it
May 04, 2009
Paul Hollis
Paul Hollis rated it really liked it
Jul 29, 2011
Jon Thorsen
Jon Thorsen rated it really liked it
Sep 05, 2016
Allison rated it liked it
Oct 29, 2008
Catherine Robertson
Catherine Robertson rated it it was amazing
May 01, 2014
Brent rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2009
Karin rated it it was amazing
Nov 28, 2011
Kellie rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2012
An Person
An Person rated it liked it
Jul 06, 2014
Goldie rated it it was amazing
Nov 29, 2011
Yasmine Ramadan
Yasmine Ramadan rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2013
emily rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2012
Laura rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2015
Sonia rated it did not like it
Sep 23, 2013
Katherine rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2012
Rachel rated it did not like it
Dec 02, 2008
Marygrace rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2015
Laura rated it it was amazing
Dec 26, 2009
Sean Enright
Sean Enright rated it really liked it
Oct 19, 2012
Jennifer rated it really liked it
Sep 01, 2007
Carlos  Chism
Carlos Chism rated it liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Danuta Hinc
Danuta Hinc rated it it was amazing
Jul 18, 2012
Leigh Ann
Leigh Ann rated it liked it
Sep 15, 2013
Rachel Lewis
Rachel Lewis rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Maud Casey lives in Washington, D.C. She is an Associate Professor of English and teaches in the MFA Creative Writing Program at the University of Maryland. She also teaches in the low-residency MFA Program at Warren Wilson and was a faculty member at the Breadloaf Writers Conference in 2009.

She has received international fellowships from the Fundacion Valparaiso and the Hawthornden International
More about Maud Casey...