Start by marking “The Complete Book Of Dragons” as Want to Read:
The Complete Book Of Dragons

The Complete Book Of Dragons

Published October 26th 1972 by Hamilton

To ask other readers questions about The Complete Book Of Dragons, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Complete Book Of Dragons

Charity
Mar 25, 2013 Charity rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids
This was another book I read aloud with my kids. They love dragons for some reason, and they really enjoyed these stories. They have a fairy tale feel to them, with moral lessons, (somewhat) gruesome endings, and all. My children especially liked the baby that would cry and cry and cry whenever its mother was asleep. (No real surprise that my daughter felt a kinship with that particular character.) I especially liked that the princesses weren't all just waiting to be rescued and that so many of ...more
scarlettraces
Aug 21, 2015 scarlettraces rated it really liked it
Long before Pixar, Nesbit had mastered the adult wink. The last paragraph of "The Island of Nine Whirlpools": "I have no doubt that you will wish to know what the Princess lived on during the long years when the dragon did the cooking. My dear, she lived on her income: and that is a thing which a great many people would like to be able to do." Indeed.

It's been a while since I read any Nesbit, and while this has undeniably dated - they're mostly from 1899 - it's interestingly dated, especially in
Kayleigh
Jan 12, 2012 Kayleigh rated it did not like it
Shelves: fantasy, children-s
I can't stand Nesbit's writing. It's so twee and condescending. Some of these stories might actually have been fun had they not been written during a time when children were marginalized and considered stupid. Even as a child, I hated it when authors felt the need to talk down to young audiences, so this book annoyed the crap out of me.
Julie
Aug 26, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it
While the stories were a bit variable, I loved their style, and the fact that these dragons were often not like the typical dragon we think of these days (i.e. like Tolkien's Smaug). The astute asides, the taking you out of the story to talk to you directly; their wit reminded me of Dickens. I knew these stories were old, but I had no idea until now that they were written by a woman. That somehow makes me even more impressed because it was harder to be a female author then, I believe. Anyway, th ...more
K.
I'm thinking this is the newest author that belongs in my collection. Some may not appreciate the very "Britishness" of the humor, but I love it.

From "Uncle James, or the Purple Stranger"

The Princess and the gardener's boy were playing in the back yard.

"What will you do when you grow up, Princess?" asked the gardener's boy.

"I should like to marry you, Tom," said the Princess. "Would you mind?"

"No," said the gardener's boy. "I shouldn't mind much. I'll marry you if you like--if I have time."
Renee
May 31, 2016 Renee rated it it was amazing
This is a very fun read aloud
David
Mar 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Great series of short stories all involving dragons in some form. Had a great time reading a story each night at bedtime to my 8 and 5 year old. Old fashioned and dry British humor.
Jamie
Oct 24, 2008 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This is such a great read aloud! I love E. Nesbit's style. Her stories are so every-day and so fantastical all at once. My children begged for more at the end of every story.
Karyn
Jun 24, 2011 Karyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, children-s
This was a darling compilation of stories about dragons for children. My son and I both really enjoyed reading this one together.
Kirsti S.
Mar 25, 2009 Kirsti S. rated it really liked it
Funny short stories. Would make a good read-aloud.
Johannes Kristian
Sep 19, 2011 Johannes Kristian rated it really liked it
Shelves: free-reading, 2011
MCL.

Funny.
Alyse
Alyse marked it as to-read
Sep 27, 2016
Jeannie Kim
Jeannie Kim marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2016
Rachel
Rachel marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Lori Gabbitas
Lori Gabbitas marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Ashley Jakeway swenson
Ashley Jakeway swenson marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2016
Samantha
Samantha rated it liked it
Aug 18, 2016
Andrew Nedelchev
Andrew Nedelchev marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2016
Nuzhat Nowrin
Nuzhat Nowrin marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2016
K
K added it
Jul 09, 2016
Helena
Helena rated it it was amazing
Jun 01, 2016
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Maggie
Maggie added it
May 24, 2016
Belinda
Belinda marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Tammy Fuhrman
Tammy Fuhrman marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Ray McCarthy
Ray McCarthy rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2016
Casey
Casey marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2016
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it really liked it
Mar 21, 2016
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Edith Nesbit (married name Edith Bland; 15 August 1858 – 4 May 1924) was an English author and poet; she published her books for children under the name of E. Nesbit.
She wrote or collaborated on over 60 books of fiction for children, several of which have been adapted for film and television. She was also a political activist and co-founded the Fabian Society, a socialist organisation later connec
More about E. Nesbit...