Start by marking “Is the Homosexual My Neighbor? A Positive Christian Response (Revised and Updated)” as Want to Read:

A classic work of gay spirituality--newly revised to reflect today's issues, including gays in the military, the AIDS crisis, and genetic research on homosexuality.
Published March 24th 1994 by HarperOne

Be the first to ask a question about Is the Homosexual My Neighbor? A Positive Christian Response

Pablo  Rodriguez
Sep 16, 2009 Pablo Rodriguez rated it it was amazing
Of the books I have read on the topic of homosexuality and the Christian faith this is one of the best. I wished I had read it earlier in my "coming out". It would be a great book to recommend to people who are asking how one can be gay and Christian. It is logical, scientific and easy to read. It doesn't sound biased or as if it started with a set agenda. Though it is an older book, it is just as current today as when it was written.
Melanie
Sep 17, 2009 Melanie rated it really liked it
This is the best (evangelical?) Christian apologetic for positive full inclusion of gays and lesbians into the church that I've read. Originally published in the late 1980s--there's a revised second edition from the 1990s. It takes Scripture seriously while thoroughly examining the human experience, social concerns and scientific research at hand. It is also very compassionate towards the many different voices in the debate.
Ken Yliniemi
Apr 07, 2016 Ken Yliniemi rated it it was amazing
This book is a must read for anyone who has grown up gay and struggling to come to terms with it all and make sense of balancing a relationship with the church in any way, shape or form. I loved the way this book is written with no-nonsense ways to understand the fine balance gays/Christians have with one another, and unfortunately many times too often clash head on.
Robin
Sep 12, 2008 Robin rated it it was amazing
This was the first book I ever read that told me I was okay as I was. When I saw the words "lesbian Christian" together, I cried, realizing that I didn't have to be excluded forever. A little dated, but definitely worth the read.
Dan
Feb 26, 2015 Dan rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-search-of, lgbt
Well-written, with careful and thorough research. Society has come a long way since this was published in 1978, and still has a long way to go. It was interesting to read in retrospect the arguments I lived through and experienced at the time.
Harvey Cottrell
Jul 14, 2015 Harvey Cottrell rated it it was amazing
A historic first! A must read. This book was written at a time when literally no one would discuss the various ways sexuality and spirituality intersect, let alone dare speak loudly and proud the word homosexual.
Corey
Jan 15, 2009 Corey rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Every Christian person, or simply someone wondering what the bible REALLY says about homosexuality.
For the love of people, everyone needs to read this book. The way they look at homosexuality and the biblical evidence they used to support it will open the eyes of every person, Christian or not and regardless of how they feel about homosexuals. Everyone needs to read this book.
Ramón
Jun 22, 2008 Ramón rated it really liked it
The authors contribute an essential voice in the debate about homosexuality in Christianity. Agree or disagree, this is an exegetical contribution that must be taken into account on this issue.
Stevelvis
Stevelvis rated it really liked it
Mar 17, 2008
Alivia Biko
Alivia Biko rated it it was amazing
Feb 16, 2011
Marie
Marie rated it it was amazing
Jul 08, 2016
Bunny
Mar 19, 2009 Bunny marked it as to-read
Alright, I'm curious. And scared.
Midge Noble
Midge Noble rated it it was amazing
Nov 23, 2015
Lenape
Lenape rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Sylvia
Sylvia rated it really liked it
Feb 28, 2013
Itbarthur4u
Itbarthur4u rated it really liked it
Aug 03, 2011
Lyle
Lyle rated it it was amazing
Aug 06, 2016
Mika MF
Mika MF rated it it was amazing
Mar 23, 2014
Cpettitmiller
Cpettitmiller rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2009
Margaret Tyler
Margaret Tyler rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2008
Charlie Hyatt
Charlie Hyatt rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Joshua Peterson
Joshua Peterson rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2008
David
David rated it it was amazing
Jan 12, 2009
Carol Lautier
Carol Lautier rated it really liked it
Dec 12, 2016
Stephen Warren
Stephen Warren rated it it was amazing
May 16, 2008
Heather Morgan
Heather Morgan rated it liked it
Feb 13, 2015
Pride Collective
Pride Collective rated it really liked it
Sep 13, 2012
Anne Jordan-Baker
Anne Jordan-Baker rated it it was amazing
Mar 25, 2014
cubbie
cubbie rated it really liked it
Aug 09, 2008
Susan Landis-steward
Susan Landis-steward rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2011