Start by marking “Be My Neighbor” as Want to Read:
Be My Neighbor

Be My Neighbor

4.03  ·  Rating Details  ·  31 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
Around the world, children live in community with others, sharing homes, resources, and experiences with their neighbors. This book celebrates what it means to be a neighbor the whole world over -- from Vietnam to the United States, Austria to Kenya and everywhere in between.
Published February 1st 2006 by Charlesbridge (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Be My Neighbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be My Neighbor

Hana Sm.
Mar 27, 2014 Hana Sm. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
A book that shows people from around the globe: different types of homes, different schools, places to worship, places to play, places to shop, modes of transportation, special events, and children helping out their family/school/community.

On page 6 there is a photo of a neighborhood in the USA. I found the photo interesting but realistic because there was TRASH in the street and on the sidewalk! But the photographer didn't try to hide it. The neighborhood looks like New York City.

On the same p
Savannah
Jan 26, 2014 Savannah rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
Very informative book.
It covers whether or not you live in a village, town or big city
Made up of lots of different people
Different types of home- to keep you cool or warm, comfortable, dry and safe. Made of wood, brick, glass, mud, grass, or rocks.
Schools- large or one room, house,
Places of worship- cathedral, synagogue, or mosque, temple or home
Places to play- parks, streets, backyards, lake, river, ocean, swimming pools
Places to but things you need- markets, restaurants, shopping malls, groce
Miss Pippi the Librarian
There are two different fonts in this picture book. During storytime, I focused on the large font that was a sentence and ignored the paragraphs on each page. The illustrations are actually pictures from neighborhoods all over the world. The back of the book shows a simple world map with the countries highlighted. Each picture also shares the country where the photo was taken. The end of the book shares the photo credits and other printing information typically seen at the beginning of books.

Elizabeth
Aug 27, 2015 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing
This is an older book but it is lovely and the message still rings true. The welcoming words of the book are from Fred Rogers. The book is about ways to act neighborly and how those actions transcend the places where we are to actually be global actions. People all over our planet assist their neighbors and celebrate with their neighbors. They educate their neighbors and work alongside their neighbors. All of humanity is building an existence and aspiring for a better life. This book is both hum ...more
Tim
Aug 14, 2008 Tim rated it really liked it
Recommended to Tim by: JK
Various characteristics of neightborhoods are intoduced in this Global literature book. This book can be part of of teaching the concepts of neighborhoods. The book has an introduction from Fred Rogers. He discusses that although we may live in different neighborhoods all over the world, we are all human beings and we all need to care for one another. This book would be a great nonficiton book for younger students. There are large photographs and simple words for each page in the book. The photg ...more
Maricela Rivera
Primary students will find this story fascinating, especially the large and colorful photographs of people and communities around the world. Through the photographs and detailed captions the book provides its readers with a glimpse into the homes, schools, places of worships, celebrations and markets of diverse communities. This book allows students to make connections between their lives and those of other community groups. Students will also be able to make comparisons between various cultures ...more
Buxmont Uu
Mar 09, 2015 Buxmont Uu added it
Shelves: bcfl, cc
CC 24
Shannon
Jun 11, 2011 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Can I be honest for a moment? Mr. Rogers creeps me out. His puppets' mouths don't move. He talks too slow.

But I loved this book. I loved the larger print in green that can be read straight through OR combine with the other details in black (kind of like captions, but better). Some of the pictures are pixelated, but I mostly like that other countries aren't quaintified...

AND there's a MAP!!! How many books have I read about people around the world WITHOUT a map showing where these folks are?
Winta
Apr 12, 2011 Winta rated it really liked it
This book starts out with Words of Wisdom from Fred Rogers :) He says how people who live far away can also be your neighbors because "Neighbors are people who care about and help one another." This book then shows how neighborhoods from around the world can look different (their homes, school, etc.) and the Great illustrations show how we are all still the same.
Dr. Laura Meyers
Beautiful book to use for photographs ... shows various neighborhoods and children from around the world. You could share the entire book or excerpts. USA, Iraq, Thailand, Belize, France, Spain, India, Russia, etc., etc. are all included. The text points to the common ground among each location.
Amanda Myers
Oct 15, 2013 Amanda Myers rated it it was amazing
The theme of this picture book is about family life around the world. I really liked how this picture book shows different parts of a neighborhood in different parts of the world. Also, I enjoyed the pictures that went along with the story, and I liked the map of the world in the back of the book.
Olugbemisola Ogutuga
Be my neighor improves children's understanding of community.The pictures will help children to understand that though people look different, dress different and live in different homes they still live in neighborhoods, having a common sence of community.
Stony Point
Apr 02, 2011 Stony Point rated it it was amazing
Fred Rogers is a social activist and Presbyterian!
Kristin
Kristin marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2016
Sam Rayburn
Sam Rayburn marked it as to-read
Feb 09, 2016
Yolanda Rodriguez Saez
Yolanda Rodriguez Saez marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Leslie
Leslie added it
Dec 30, 2015
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2015
Tedi Tsopelas
Tedi Tsopelas marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Gloria
Gloria marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2015
Liz Elliott
Liz Elliott marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
WCNS
WCNS marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Rosanna
Rosanna marked it as to-read
May 13, 2015
Catherine
Catherine rated it liked it
Mar 17, 2015