Start by marking “The Very Lonely Firefly” as Want to Read:
The Very Lonely Firefly

The Very Lonely Firefly

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  6,969 ratings  ·  133 reviews
When a very lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies, it sees a lantern, a candle, and the eyes of a dog, cat, and owl all glowing in the darkness. It even sees a surprise celebration of light. But it is not until it discovers other fireflies that it finds exactly what it's looking for.

Read it with a flashlight in the dark or under the table--an
Published June 1st 1995 by Philomel Books

To ask other readers questions about The Very Lonely Firefly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Very Lonely Firefly

Camille Ryckman
Brief summary - A Firefly searches for other fireflies and happens upon other things that light up at night until he finds the fireflies.
Annotation A story that builds throughout on what different light sources might be used at night as the firefly ventures on. The pictures are spectacular and the final page where he find the fireflies all the tails light up.
Age appropriateness 0-4
Connection to six early literacy skills - I think this book hits all of these early literacy skills
Print Motivation
Anna
The Very Lonely Firefly / Eric Carle / 1995
Genre: fiction
Format: picture book

Plot Summary:A lonely firefly goes out into the night searching for other fireflies.

Considerations: none

Review Citation:
Booklist Reviews, May 1995
"Its simplicity and its depiction of feeling lonely and finding one's place in a group will appeal to preschoolers. As the flap copy says, "The Very Lonely Firefly is about belonging."

Recommended age: 3-6
Anna Frame
Personal Reaction- I like this book a lot because the story is very cute and also presents something new to students. Some of the things in the book may be new to students. For example, some might not know what a firefly is. The story also keeps children guessing because it asks about different lights that could be seen outside at night and distinguishes them from a firefly. I loved this book as a kid and I think others will too!
Purposes- I would read this aloud to kindergarten students for seve
Madelyn Adams
I honestly, think this story would be good read a loud book for children in the classroom. I would personally use this book at the beginning of Kindergarten, because the language is simple. The book does include some larger vocabulary words, which would help stretch a Kindergartener’s vocabulary. For instance, “their eyes reflecting the lights” or “They were fireworks sparkling and glittering and shimmering in the night sky.” However, the plot of the book was very simple.

This book would be good
Elizabeth Walker
This picture book has amazing pictures and the end even lights up, how fun is that?! The Very Lonely Firefly is about a firefly who is trying to find other fireflies, but instead continues to find other lights. Finally he finds his friends. This book would be great for kindergarten or first grade students because of the fun pictures and the light up ending. I only rated the book a three though because it can be somewhat repetitive because the same line is mentioned on every page. All in all it i ...more
Rosaura Sanders
This battery operated engineered book tells the story of a lonely firefly who runs into different sources of light (a candle, a flashlight, a lightbulb) as she searches for other fireflies. At the end of the story, the firefly finds a group of fireflies and the reader can push a button on the last page making all the fireflies light up. Great story to read in the dark with a flashlight. As a follow-up activity the teacher can read a nonfiction book about fireflies and have students create a post ...more
Allison
I liked this book. It starts out with a lonely firefly. He kept seeing lights in the sky but every time he went to inspect it, it was something else. In the first it was a light bulb, then a candle, then a flashlight, then a lamp, then the eyes of a dog, a cat and an owl and even fireworks. Still couldn't find other fireflies like him. It ended with the firefly finally finding other fireflies. I know if the end the fireflies were supposed to light up when the book was opened to the last page but ...more
Heidi
Well, I've seen the back of this book before, but hadn't read it. So, I decided to read it. I like that there is a "story-arc" going on as the firefly searches for other fireflies. And as I like fireflies, the subject of the book got to me. And I always admire Carle's illustrations. But I'll admit that I'm not in love with most of his books. They're standards, yes. But not my favorites.

But who can not like blinking fireflies at the end?!

And in honor, here was the song we women sang in Sound of A
Teeny

Summary: The Very Lonely Firefly is a story about a little firefly that was just born and is searching for other fireflies. The little firefly keeps seeing lights, but they end up not being other fireflies. Instead, they are flashlights, fireworks, candles, lanterns, and etc. At the end, the little firefly finally finds other fireflies and he is not lonely anymore. This is a story that children will enjoy and remember for years to come!

Author and Illustrator: Eric Carle

Audience: K-1st

Genre: Fict
Christina Swain
This book would be a great shared reading to kids to help them understand the dynamics to friendships. In this story, a lonely firefly goes through an exploration to make friends and belong. I could implement this story to my young students and teach them a lesson on being kind with others. Yes, it is true that everyone we encounter, we will not necessarily befriend. However, while children are at such a young age, it is important that they are willing to be friendly to their classmates.
Ethelen V.
Carle, E. (1995). The very lonely firefly. New York, NY: Philomel Books.

A firefly is looking for someone who looks like him. He sees an owl, a lantern, animals' eyes and even fireworks. All of these have bright lights but none match him. He is lonely and wants someone to share with. Just as he's about to give up, he finds what he's been looking for.

Like other Eric Carle books, this book is bright, colorful, and has surprises. It captures the eyes and the imagination. It is designed for infants
Laura Mincey
Eric Carle writes a tale about a firefly who is bound and determined to see the whole world for himself. However, there is a big problem--this firefly is lonely, and doesn't think it will be too great to tour the world alone. So, as the firefly is traveling, he stops and recruits friends on the way (different groups of animals). Once the firefly isn't so lonely anymore with his travel companions, he sets off on his journey to see the world. However, the animals begin to have second thoughts abou ...more
Michael Duffey
This book was about a firefly that was lonely and looking for other fireflies. He flew all over searching high and low. The grade level intended is K-2. This book could be connected with science specifically seasons because fireflies only show up in Virginia during the summer months. I thought this book was good, but I still prefer Eric Carle's books The Very Hungry Catapillar and Brown Bear, Brown Bear What Do You See. The artwork is the same as his other books, very fun to look at.
Char Hight
What a cute book! This book would be very cute as an intro to an insect unit or even a sweet bedtime story. The illustrations are amazing as Carle always does a superb job. I loved the animated fireflies at the end of the book I read. Age Pre-K to 1st.
Katherine Codino
A wonderful book! This book is perfect for children right before bed time. As one little fire fly searches for his friends he begins to light up the night. This book will leave children excited for turning pages in order to light up the night!
Meg McGregor
This classic by Eric Carle explores how all creatures seek out others so that they are not lonely.

Beautifully written and illustrated in Carle's classic style this book is sure to become a favorite for your little reader.
Jen
Cute book, especially the end when he meets his fellow fireflies and they all light up. I wasn't overly keen on the artwork with the people, but the dark colors helped to enhance the firefly's feeling of loneliness.
Mia Balsamo
PB16: I love Eric Carle picturebooks. I love how his illustrations are different than most other illustrators. I am not sure exactly what he does but the pictures appear to be collages, and they are rough pictures, the lines aren't always straight, faces tend to be boxy, but they work for this book. I also like the use of dark and light; the background is dark because of the night and you can always find the firefly because of his little light. The best part of this book, without question, is th ...more
Pam
Great book by Eric Carle...the lights at the end didn't flicker, but I bet this library books gets a LOT of use, so we understand!
Sheri
Feb 23, 2014 Sheri rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Quinn Cole, Janet Smart, Rosie Taylor, Sandy Chapman
I liked this story as simple as it is about the Firefly looking for other fireflies to join and belong with. The people who see his light follow and watch the firefly. I really enjoyed it after I read that Eric Carle made this one of a foursome of books each with a message of love, belonging, work, and hope. All noble story lines.
Leah Puckett
This book is full of repetition. This would be a good science lesson book. You could teach children the different light sources. There are similarities in this book; the firefly was trying to find another firefly but found different light sources instead. Emotions are another concept from the book, all the firefly wanted to do was try to find other firefly's to fly with.

Learning Experience:
In this learning experience the kids would be put in groups of two. I would bring in flash lights and turn
Aletheia Ubben
Nice, but not fabulous. (Aletheia's review: "I got page-turning skillz!")
Amanda-rdg3320
This was the first book I read to my block kindergarteners on the first day I started there. I was so nervous and the kids were not interested in the book at all, just who in the world I was. But it is a cute book and it had interactives in the back. Its about a firefly who is lonely and travels along looking for some companions. He finally finds a pack of fireflies and at the end of the book when he does find them, the book blinks were all the fireflies butts (?) are. It would be a great story ...more
Kate Tilton
a tale about belonging, another beautiful story by Eric.
Andd Becker
This book in the quartet featuring respectively, a hungry caterpillar, a busy spider, and a q1uiet cricket, has its own unique contribution -- a light-up page at the end.
Prior to that, a young reader is kept busy wondering what each light is. Does the reader guess lightbulb? Candle? Flashlight? Eyes of dog, cat owl? A car's headlights? Fireworks?
A parent reading this book to a young child can use the opportunity to engage the child in questions/answers and wonderful parental/child dialogue.
Wooden Horse
I only order the board book version of Eric Carle's books. I think that the board book format is the best format for his books and are a better price point. Really they could be slightly larger as the text is really meant for a 3 to 5 year old. That age range is usually ready for a "regular picture book" format however the price point for those editions are astronomical in my opinion so I keep to the board book edition. This one features sparkling lights on the final spread and as an added bonus ...more
krym
It's really scary to be lost or should I say, it is really difficult to be in a place or people whom you just can't fit in. In the long the run, your peace relies on your family. After all, they are the only ones who can accept you for who you are. Hahaha! I am putting too much symbolism on Eric Carl's book. It's just a story of a firefly looking for his light or co-fireflies :D Plus I love fireflies because they are magnificent at night. I would lie awake at night for hours just staring at them ...more
Mandy
(3.5 stars)
Abby Chappell
I love Eric Carle books, especially for his illustrations. They're different than most, but they're still eye-catching and captivating. I love the lesson of staying true to yourself in this story.
PWRL
  • Now One Foot, Now the Other
  • Bear Wants More
  • Miss Mary Mack
  • City Dog, Country Frog
Eric Carle (born June 25, 1929) is a children's book author and illustrator, most famous for his book The Very Hungry Caterpillar, which has been translated into over 30 languages. Since The Very Hungry Caterpillar was published in 1969, Eric Carle has illustrated more than seventy books, many best sellers, most of which he also wrote, and more than 71 million copies of his books have sold around ...more
More about Eric Carle...
The Very Hungry Caterpillar The Very Busy Spider The Grouchy Ladybug The Very Quiet Cricket From Head to Toe