Start by marking “Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art” as Want to Read:
Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

Handmade Houses: A Guide to the Woodbutcher's Art

If you have ever thought about getting it all together...time, energy, land, materials...to build something of your very own, this book may entice you to take the fatal step. Author, Art Boericke and Photography Barry Shapiro have traveled for years to the ends of many rural road in order to visit and record the best owner-built structures they could.

These words and image
Published January 1st 1973 by Scrimshaw Press

To ask other readers questions about Handmade Houses, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handmade Houses

Holly Ollivander
Much like Woodstock Handmade Houses, the times I have dipped into Handmade Houses: A Guided to the Woodbutcher's Art over the decades must number in the hundreds by now, and I still discover something new to gaze at in each image: a pot plant, a corner of a stained glass window, a single infant shoe on the floor. These spaces are not carefully staged, lit and photographed for a glossy magazine, they are lived in; you can almost hear the murmured voices from the next room.

I am not ashamed to say
Andrea
Feb 24, 2008 Andrea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: builders, dreamers, children
Arwen and I simultaneously and independently purchased copies of this book from the Friends of the San Francisco Library book sale. This book proves that building with recycled materials and reducing your energy/resource footprint is by no means a sacrifice. In the Foreword by Sim Van der Ryn (The School of Architecture, UC Berkeley) he implores us to ignore "an economy whose values are the magnitude of production and consumption." Easily and joyfully done, if only I get to live in one of these ...more
James
Gorgeous pictures of innovative homes, often put together with little financial outlay but a lot of careful and creative thought and hard work. A lot of the features in some of these houses are works of art, pure and simple (or pure and sophisticated.)

Given that housing prices have outrun inflation for decades, even with the housing bubble having popped a few years ago, and given the increased concern for conserving resources in building and then in heating and cooling our homes, this old book i
Michael
Dec 30, 2008 Michael rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who dreams
that my dreams of building a home are still alive, and if i did it would look something like one of these. my ex-girlfriend and i had a copy of this in our collection for years, and she got it in the split. just found my copy down the street in a good bookshop near my house. kinda hard to find. i stayed in mark's yert in olympia, and waking up in the morning with vines growing through my bed brought it "home".
Clare
Aug 10, 2013 Clare rated it it was amazing
Love this book. Definitely of it's time, it documents hand made houses in the '60's - made from anything to hand - architectural salvage, driftwood, spare timber. Much reference to the "awesomeness of listening to Raga's" in a sympathetic house. My dad had this book and always planned to make one. Now the mantle has been handed on to me - watch this space.
Phyllis
Dec 02, 2016 Phyllis rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: photography
Really dreamy, aspirational bohemian lifestyle art/photography book from the 70s with amazing photographs of people's beautiful homemade hippie houses. This book will make you want to go off the grid and just live in a treehouse in the middle of nowhere with nothing to your name but a woodstove and a mason jar of lentils. That was my reaction, ANYWAY.
Koeeoaddi
Oct 26, 2013 Koeeoaddi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mr. Lennar & Mr. D.H. Horton
I still love these goofy hippie houses and if I could find one, still standing, off a ways from this bee hive of crammed together stucco, fake adobe and miles of tile roofs, I'd buy it.

(Excepting the seriously unlovely geodesic dome homes, of course. They look just like big wooden warts.)
Ron
Feb 09, 2013 Ron rated it it was amazing
Shelves: architecture
A wonderful look at some wild and creative structures. The ingenuity of design of these hand made homes is remarkable. Most of the examples are located in out of the way places and far away from building inspectors.
Sandra
Jul 21, 2013 Sandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the fact that the book showed handmade houses by amateurs and those designed and built by true architects/builders. Broad range of styles and good description of materials. Many in California - but this harkens to the days when code was relaxed. No way would they be built today in CA.
James
Absolutely gorgeous. This is a picture book of wildly varied houses united by the owners having followed their dreams in building their own visions, and in most cased by their having made extensive use of recycled lumber and other materials. A great source of ideas and inspiration.
Ix
Jul 23, 2016 Ix rated it really liked it
This is the kind of hippie DIY building book I can get behind. Great pictures, not a lot of useful information, but a lot of inspiration to fuel your deep-seated need to build your own environment from scraps and live out a hobbit-like fantasy. Come on, you know it's in you. You want that.
Kent
Feb 15, 2015 Kent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: houses
very inspirational pictures of wood made houses
Shoshanna
Apr 28, 2011 Shoshanna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful photos of handmade houses. Makes me feel wistful for a time I didn't even know.
Meara
Feb 24, 2008 Meara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Endless Drool.
Amy
Oct 07, 2007 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: housing
Living in the sticks... literally. This is a slim coffee-table book of rather beautiful handbuilt, rustic cottages and shacks. Quaint, inspirational, romantic.
Niloy
May 18, 2013 Niloy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was amazing. Inspiring. Truly there's a lot to learn from it.
Monet
Monet rated it really liked it
Jun 11, 2013
Thomas
Thomas rated it it was amazing
Feb 27, 2012
Victoria Manning
Victoria Manning rated it it was amazing
Jan 19, 2016
Aimee
Aimee rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2008
Amanda
Amanda rated it it was amazing
Oct 17, 2016
Patholio
Patholio rated it it was amazing
Dec 12, 2011
Samuel
Samuel rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2009
jw468
jw468 rated it really liked it
May 17, 2013
George
George rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2012
Mark Primack
Mark Primack rated it really liked it
Jan 15, 2011
else fine
else fine rated it it was amazing
Feb 09, 2008
Doug Sharp
Doug Sharp rated it really liked it
Nov 29, 2014
Katie Lejoi
Katie Lejoi rated it liked it
Apr 18, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Mar 17, 2010