The Battle for Duncragglin

The Battle for Duncragglin

3.46 of 5 stars 3.46  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Set in the time of William Wallace, this is historical fiction at its bloody best!

One of history’s most turbulent times comes to vivid life in this thrilling new novel. Twelve-year-old Alex has been raised by his uncle since his parents disappeared on a trip to Scotland many years ago. He’s resigned to spending the summer in Scotland with yet another relative and finds him...more
Published April 14th 2009 by Tundra Books

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanDivergent by Veronica RothThe Red Pyramid by Rick RiordanI Am Number Four by Pittacus Lore
Lighthearted
40th out of 97 books — 18 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanDeception Peak by Dianne Lynn GardnerThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonThe False Prince by Jennifer A. Nielsen
Best YA Guy Reads
160th out of 224 books — 93 voters

More lists with this book...

Patricia
This is one of those that hovers between 2.5 and 3 stars for me.

I love time travel books. I love books set in Scotland. I love history. I really like YA fiction. So what's not to like? Well, for one, this book seemed more like Juvenile Fiction than YA fiction to me--things resolved easily and quickly, for example. For two, I did some skim-reading (which is usually an automatic 2-star rating) through the whole book but I do feel like reading the second book in the series so that would imply I l...more
Sue Q
Type and Source of Book:
Ebook borrowed from the Ontario Library Service

Thoughts:
I hadn't read the description too well - so I was surprised at the time travel part. A decent read.

Quotes I Highlighted:

Alex wondered how everything could carry on as usual when it so clearly was not. THe entire world should be stopping to see their predicament. Birds should be silent and sad in their trees; horses should watch with big sorrowful eyes.

Paige Y.
I really had high hopes for this book and was somewhat disappointed. It is a time-travel/historical fiction book which forces one to suspend disbelief to a certain degree but I felt the author just took too many leaps. I'm also frustrated because the author pretty obviously wants to make a series out of this on -- can't authors write a stand-alone book anymore?
travelerblue
Alex finds himself staying with a family near the ruins of Duncragglin Castle in Scotland. While exploring the ruins, he and his friends discover tunnels leading to a time travel chamber. Alex winds up in 1296 with William Wallace on the eve of the "Battle for Dungragglin.'
Fun and adventure for ages 10 to 110!
Rhonda
cute idea for a teen book. i liked it, but there were some things toward the end that got a bit goofy - and of course, there was fart humor.i applaud the author for not soft pedalling the blood and guts too much so as to lose the feel of what was happening. i'm sure there will be a sequel or a series.
Tiffany (About to Read)
In this young adult novel, Alex and his friends time travel to late 13th century Scotland and meet William Wallace as he is fighting to remove the British from Scotland. This novel is both educational and entertaining for young children, but I do not recommend it for YA readers or adults.
Tiphanie Neely
Weirdest thing happened to me while reading page 7 of this book. I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR THE REST OF IT.

It's a "time travel" book, but it's messy, ambiguous, and arbitrary. But, what do I expect from a historical fiction, debut young adult's novel?
Isaac
The Battle for Duncragglin was a great action filled book.Three kids go back in time and fight and find their mother who supposedly died four years before. They use crossbows and swords and armor.I would read it again if i had the chance.
Annie Oosterwyk
This book reminded me of the Susan Cooper series, but not as English. I think it could have been richer, but it probably serves to fill in a gap for readers who couldn't tackle such difficult material.
Zena
Orphaned 12 year old boy is sent to Scotland to live with Aunt. Searching for adventure he along with his new friends become lost in the past with William Wallace. Fast moving page turner.
Olivia Douglas
Very good book!!!! Just finished it, read it in about 5 hours :D though I do say that the ending is really stirring my brain with so many questions
Melanie
Phasered
Such a fun adventure!!!! I love this book. I cant wait to read the next book when I get my hands on it.
Jamie
Very interesting take on time travel and Scottish history.
Written by a Canadian.
Lisa
Aug 29, 2010 Lisa rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids, ala, arc
Not a bad time travel story, but seemed a bit simplistic to me.
Janice
Sep 24, 2009 Janice marked it as to-read
found it with new books looks interesting
Kj
Good JF time traveling story.
Rese C. Van Noy
Rese C. Van Noy marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2014
Niki
Niki added it
Jun 17, 2014
Allison
Allison marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2014
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2014
Raychull Bryson
Raychull Bryson marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
1984844
Andrew H. Vanderwal was born in the Netherlands and raised in Canada. His liberal arts undergraduate studies were interdisciplinary and included fiction-writing studios under renowned Canadian authors. During his graduate studies, he focused on third-world economic development, an interest that stemmed from his extensive travel experiences within developing countries. Andrew is a Partner of Pricew...more
More about Andrew H. Vanderwal...
Death of a King