Start by marking “The Battle for Duncragglin” as Want to Read:
The Battle for Duncragglin

The Battle for Duncragglin

Set in the time of William Wallace, this is historical fiction at its bloody best!

One of history’s most turbulent times comes to vivid life in this thrilling new novel. Twelve-year-old Alex has been raised by his uncle since his parents disappeared on a trip to Scotland many years ago. He’s resigned to spending the summer in Scotland with yet another relative and finds him
Published April 14th 2009 by Tundra Books

To ask other readers questions about The Battle for Duncragglin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Battle for Duncragglin

The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Lost Hero by Rick RiordanDivergent by Veronica RothThe Ruins of Gorlan by John FlanaganCinder by Marissa Meyer
Lighthearted
113 books — 31 voters
The Lightning Thief by Rick RiordanThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienDeception Peak by Dianne Lynn GardnerTreasure Island by Robert Louis StevensonEnder's Game by Orson Scott Card
Best YA Guy Reads
254 books — 138 voters

More lists with this book...

Tiphanie Neely
Weirdest thing happened to me while reading page 7 of this book. I KNEW EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED FOR THE REST OF IT.

It's a "time travel" book, but it's messy, ambiguous, and arbitrary. But, what do I expect from a historical fiction, debut young adult's novel?
M.
Jun 24, 2015 M. rated it really liked it
Combination of fantasy and historical fiction. Alex, a modern day Canadian boy sent by his uncle to stay with his aunt in Scotland for the summer, embarks upon a quest to locate his missing parents who disappeared a few years back. Alex finds a time portal which sends him and his friends back to the 13th century, a time when Scotland was fighting England and William Wallace was a Scottish hero. The kids become Wallace supporters, observe and take part in several battles, and ultimately help Wall ...more
Patricia
Jan 23, 2014 Patricia rated it liked it
This is one of those that hovers between 2.5 and 3 stars for me.

I love time travel books. I love books set in Scotland. I love history. I really like YA fiction. So what's not to like? Well, for one, this book seemed more like Juvenile Fiction than YA fiction to me--things resolved easily and quickly, for example. For two, I did some skim-reading (which is usually an automatic 2-star rating) through the whole book but I do feel like reading the second book in the series so that would imply I l
Sue Q
Mar 14, 2013 Sue Q rated it really liked it
Type and Source of Book:
Ebook borrowed from the Ontario Library Service

Thoughts:
I hadn't read the description too well - so I was surprised at the time travel part. A decent read.

Quotes I Highlighted:

Alex wondered how everything could carry on as usual when it so clearly was not. THe entire world should be stopping to see their predicament. Birds should be silent and sad in their trees; horses should watch with big sorrowful eyes.

Rhonda
Sep 04, 2009 Rhonda rated it liked it
cute idea for a teen book. i liked it, but there were some things toward the end that got a bit goofy - and of course, there was fart humor.i applaud the author for not soft pedalling the blood and guts too much so as to lose the feel of what was happening. i'm sure there will be a sequel or a series.
Paige Y.
I really had high hopes for this book and was somewhat disappointed. It is a time-travel/historical fiction book which forces one to suspend disbelief to a certain degree but I felt the author just took too many leaps. I'm also frustrated because the author pretty obviously wants to make a series out of this on -- can't authors write a stand-alone book anymore?
travelerblue
Oct 05, 2009 travelerblue rated it really liked it
Shelves: youngadult
Alex finds himself staying with a family near the ruins of Duncragglin Castle in Scotland. While exploring the ruins, he and his friends discover tunnels leading to a time travel chamber. Alex winds up in 1296 with William Wallace on the eve of the "Battle for Dungragglin.'
Fun and adventure for ages 10 to 110!
Mayra
Sep 26, 2016 Mayra rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I really liked this book! It has some great twists at the end and it is really easy and enjoyable to read. I really recommend it if you want to read something from a lesser-known -but not less talented - author.
Isaac
Aug 01, 2011 Isaac rated it really liked it
The Battle for Duncragglin was a great action filled book.Three kids go back in time and fight and find their mother who supposedly died four years before. They use crossbows and swords and armor.I would read it again if i had the chance.
Barbi
What??? Ok - good premise - but that is about it. Orphaned child goes back to the old country: time travel follows ... should be an amazing story that grabs young readers. Reality =poor character development, poor story line and finally a jump to close the novel.
Annie Oosterwyk
Dec 29, 2009 Annie Oosterwyk rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
This book reminded me of the Susan Cooper series, but not as English. I think it could have been richer, but it probably serves to fill in a gap for readers who couldn't tackle such difficult material.
Tiffany (About to Read)
In this young adult novel, Alex and his friends time travel to late 13th century Scotland and meet William Wallace as he is fighting to remove the British from Scotland. This novel is both educational and entertaining for young children, but I do not recommend it for YA readers or adults.
Olivia Douglas
Nov 27, 2011 Olivia Douglas rated it it was amazing
Very good book!!!! Just finished it, read it in about 5 hours :D though I do say that the ending is really stirring my brain with so many questions
Melanie
Tara Knoblauch
Aug 17, 2013 Tara Knoblauch rated it it was amazing
Such a fun adventure!!!! I love this book. I cant wait to read the next book when I get my hands on it.
Zena
Nov 05, 2009 Zena rated it really liked it
Orphaned 12 year old boy is sent to Scotland to live with Aunt. Searching for adventure he along with his new friends become lost in the past with William Wallace. Fast moving page turner.
Jenny
Jenny rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2009
Sian
Sian rated it it was amazing
Jun 24, 2012
Lael
Lael rated it liked it
Jan 06, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was ok
Aug 19, 2009
Lisa
Aug 29, 2010 Lisa rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, ala, arc
Not a bad time travel story, but seemed a bit simplistic to me.
Kj
Jan 29, 2010 Kj rated it liked it
Good JF time traveling story.
Jenna
Jenna rated it it was ok
Feb 20, 2014
Kristi
Kristi rated it liked it
Feb 12, 2016
Vickie
Vickie rated it liked it
Feb 17, 2010
MissCrystal Nelson
MissCrystal Nelson rated it did not like it
Jul 09, 2010
Reyzyl
Reyzyl rated it liked it
Apr 23, 2012
Stacie
Stacie rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2011
Brandy Painter
Brandy Painter rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2009
Alanna
Alanna rated it liked it
Jan 03, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
1984844
Born in the Netherlands and raised in Canada, Andrew Vanderwal embarked in several years of “on-the-road” travel through Europe, the Middle East and Asia before undertaking a self directed interdisciplinary program at York University that included fiction writing studios. Further world travel (this time through Andean countries) led to his graduate studies at Carleton University’s Norman Patterson ...more
More about Andrew H. Vanderwal...