Start by marking “Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Higland #1)” as Want to Read:
Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Higland #1)

Embrace the Dawn (Scottish Highland #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  27 reviews

Scottish Highlands, 1691

Rumored to have murdered his wife, Ruarc MacDonald has a reputation as a dangerous man. Now his faith and honor are about to be put to the test.

After escaping a violent marriage, Killian Campbell swears no man will hurt or control her again. As she fights for her own life and her sons, Killian is forced to seek safety in the arms of the one man who

Published August 6th 2002 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Embrace the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Embrace the Dawn

Sheila Grimm
Really I'd give it a 4.9. Good book, though

Though, the ending left questions and I don't like ending being unresolved. I suppose the author is leaving it as assumption but I like concrete. The big things were rapped up but I feel like I've been left hanging, hence the 4 stars. I'm hoping there is another book that follows that answers my questions.
BUT the book kept me reading and wanting to read, you can't ask for more than that in a good book. I will read more by this author. If there was a wa
Sheri Salatin
I really enjoy Morgan's books. Her Scottish series are my favorites and this one was no exception. The theme woven throughout this novel was one of forgiveness and renewel of relationships with God first and others second.

After being widowed from a man who was mean and abusive, Killian Campbell promises to never let anyone hurt her again. With circumstances out of her control, she meets Ruarc MacDonald and is soon pledged in marriage to him. She fights it at every turn.

Ruarc MacDonald is a man a
Jeni Enjaian
Despite some shortcomings I still really enjoyed this book. I'm a sucker for the time period and genre. If the author has even a modicum of writing ability then I usually enjoy the book each time I read it.
In my opinion, the biggest problem with this book is the plot pacing. It seemed to start and stop in a stuttering sort of way which left the resolution of the overall problem (the fractured relationship between Adam Campbell and Ruarc Macdonald) rushed and almost trite, almost.
While it's far f
Lindsey
Apr 28, 2014 Lindsey rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: own
I liked this book, but it didn't seem to end. Hoping the sequel finishes the loose ends.
Anne
I absolutely loced this book. It is set in one of my favorite places, the Scottish Highlands, and is the story of Killian, who comes to Scotland to visit with her son and Scottish born husband, Alex. when Alex dies, she meets Ruarc, a Highland chieftain and marries him. they live in the Glencoe area and this brings then into play during the infamous Glencoe massacre which they miracuously escape. Plenty of action, romance and suspense, and the power of god's love permeate this wonderful novel wh ...more
Becca
So Harlequinish!
joy *the clean-reader extraordinaire*
there were several times while reading this that i thought, "this is stupid." but you know how it is, when there's not another book within reach and you really don't want to get up... so...
try the classic Lady Of The Glen: A Novel of 17Th-Century Scotland and the Massacre of Glencoe for a more worthwhile introduction to the time period.
Very good. I liked the part where the crofters took Killian and her son in when they got lost.
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
Set in the late 17th century Scotland. Killian is coming from an abusive marriage and Ruarc was deeply hurt by his unfaithful wife. Events bring them together and they must learn to trust again. Trust in each other and trust in the Lord.

This book was a bit slow at times. It may be a little less than four stars, I did enjoy it.
Heather
This is a story of a woman and man who both have problems with learning to trust after previous bitter marriages. It also focuses a lot on their relationship to God, and how that affects all other relationships. It would give it a 3.5 if there was one. It was a bit slow in some parts, and a bit to 'preachy' for me...but I still liked it.
Andrea
A nice tale set int he scottish highlands. The characters were enjoyable and decently rounded. The story was nice and had some mystery involved. I also appreciated the lessons on faith that were woven throughout.
Haley
I might not have rated quite 4 stars, but it was good. I love a good Scottish Highland love story. I guess I didn't like that there was so much senseless hatred. The novel was a good, and I want to read the next one.
Stephanie Guerrero
I keep coming back to this story and rereading it. It is a passionate tale, yet taught me about love, marriage and relationships through a powerful story. You won't want to put it down.
Debbie
Mar 15, 2010 Debbie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all
Recommended to Debbie by: ellen
A little too religious, but absorbing story, realistic relationship between Ruark and Killian, and great backdrop of history in Scotland. No Outlanders .
Melissa T
Another nice, cheesy Christian read. I find I don't mind the preachy sections as much as I would the trashy sections in most other light romances!
Catherine
I really enjoyed this quick, beach type read. The story was interesting and the characters were very well constructed.
Annette Maclean
This is better than its sequel, love this time period and nice easy reading with enjoyable characters.
Kelly
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! I could not put it down. Words do no do this book justice! Loved it!!
Marleah
I'd probably give this 3.5 stars. A good, clean christian historical fiction romance (got that? :)
Marilyn
I really liked this book.
It takes me back to my Scottish roots.
Court
pretty good, but amazing, but interesting
Valerie
It was great! Happy/felt good at the end.
Stephanie
kind of lame. don't know if I'm going to finish.
Faith
Jan 15, 2014 Faith added it
this is one of my favorite books :)
Ashley
Dec 10, 2008 Ashley marked it as to-read
not at library
Jenny Johnson
Jenny Johnson marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2015
Sarah Sayre
Sarah Sayre marked it as to-read
Jan 28, 2015
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
  • Circle of Honor (Scottish Crown Series, #1)
  • Maire (Fires of Gleannmara, #1)
  • The Duchess and the Dragon
  • Highland Blessings (Highlands #1)
  • Threads of Silk (The Silk House, #3)
  • The Restitution (Legacy of the King's Pirates #3)
  • In the Shadow of the Sun King (Darkness to Light, #1)
  • The Highlander's Stolen Bride
  • Surrender the Dawn (Surrender to Destiny, #3)

Kathleen began her career writing contemporary romances and soon moved to historical and futuristic romances. She sold her first book, a futuristic romance, in April 1990 while stationed in Korea as an Army nurse. Additional romances soon followed, until she had sold a total of fifteen books in the general mark
More about Kathleen Morgan...

Scottish Highland (2 books)
  • Consuming Fire (Scottish Highland, #2)
Child of the Mist (These Highland Hills, #1) Daughter of Joy (Brides of Culdee Creek #1) A Heart Divided (Heart of the Rockies #1) Woman of Grace (Brides of Culdee Creek, #2) Wings of Morning (These Highland Hills, #2)