Start by marking “Grosse Pointe Girl: Tales from a Suburban Adolescence” as Want to Read:
Grosse Pointe Girl: Tales from a Suburban Adolescence

Grosse Pointe Girl: Tales from a Suburban Adolescence

Welcome to Grosse Pointe, Michigan, where social rank is determined by the age of your money and the dryness of your martini.
The new girl in town, Emma Harris, must prove herself hip to the rigid rules of adolescent conformity. The quest for cool, she discovers, is one long final exam. To pass she must be cruel to be kind (ditching her best friend for the popular crowd),
Published June 3rd 2004 by Simon & Schuster (first published January 25th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Grosse Pointe Girl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grosse Pointe Girl

Jasmine
Jan 09, 2009 Jasmine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Detroit natives, YA readers, Older YA readers, girls
Recommended to Jasmine by: kid sister, sarah michal
Shelves: own, ya-older
I liked this book.

Growing up on the eastside of Detroit I was privy to the life that was "The Grosse Pointe Girl's"...I admired it from afar, always aware that my Detroit zip code made us different. Well, that and the fact that GP kids had money and we didn't. (Or else we'd be in GP too, duh!)

It surprised me how much everything is the same - despite taking place in the 80's.

I was also reminded that school, navigating social waters and self discovery are the same - no matter where you grow up.

Det
Bert
Apr 05, 2015 Bert rated it liked it
This was sweet and nostalgic, a frothy, pretty stereotypical, bubblegummy tale of high school and firsts (first cigarette, first bra, first kiss etc). Really liked the scooby-doo-esque illustrations scattered through it, the whole Eighties-ness of it, but could've done without the last chapter..
Rachel
Jul 18, 2009 Rachel rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, young-adult
This is one of the more realistic young adult novels I've read, in the sense that no one has supernatural powers and daily life is both tedious and melodramatic. The story follows Emma Harris from 6th grade through high school graduation, as she gains then loses a best friend, serves as the obligatory non-cool friend to the cool crowd for a while, then finds her own clique based on being a slow runner. Like most non-vampiric high school kids, everyone is affecting a bit of jadedness that they ha ...more
Kathleen
Aug 09, 2015 Kathleen rated it liked it
This was an entertaining and very quick read. This novel details the smoking, drinking and social climbing of "the new girl" in an upscale Detroit neighborhood's high school. The book has a strange lack of emotion, as if the teenage girl who is the narrator is watching from outside herself. I get frustrated reading about bad adolescent choices, not that mine were any better (they were bad in different ways). At the same time, I can appreciate how well-constructed this memoir-esque piece of ficti ...more
Marnie
Dec 14, 2007 Marnie rated it liked it
I thought I'd really like this bookbut it wasnt that great. It's about a girl who was a teenager in the 80s & there was some good pop culture stuff but the girl pretty much messes up her life by dumping her best friend for the popular kids who arent nice to her & pressure her into making bad choices, & her parents get divorced. I liked that it had pictures, but the pictures could have been better.
V
Jan 12, 2016 V rated it it was amazing
Since adolescence was such a magical time for me, I gravitate toward any writer that hits that time period on the head, and this author has nailed it flat. Every detail, from the clothing to the cigarettes, to the makeup, to the neighborhoods, the parties, the friendships won and lost, the popularity contests, the angst, the boy/girl flings and the true love that keeps missing its mark...it's all there. An awesome read, brilliant detail, accurate down to the last punctuation mark. Loved it!!!
Robyn
Feb 07, 2009 Robyn rated it really liked it
A very quick read...finished it in under 3 hours.

Fun coming of age story; some portions reminded me (a little too much!) of my own life.
While fiction, it's obvious that it's got an autobiographical tone.
If you want to relive your adolescence (or, at least remember what it could have been like...) then it's a book to pick up.

The graphic pictures were fun--although I did find them to be a little unnecessary.
Jen
Oct 21, 2008 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-lit
This is a hard book to categorize. it's classified as fiction, although it has a very autobiographical tone to it. there are great graphic illustrations throughout, however it's not a comic. and while it's meant to be young adult lit, it felt more geared at adults who wanted a nice nostalgic read. i really did love this book. it's written simply, however in every chapter there were moments from my own childhood that i could relate too.
Carrie Holder
Oct 12, 2010 Carrie Holder rated it it was ok
This book contains snippets of memories of a lady who grew up in Grosse Pointe, Michigan during the late 80's to early 90's. I had a hard time getting into this book because there was no character development or plot development. The author would be telling an interesting story, in the form of a recollection and then she would skip to something else. I prefer traditional plots and I like characters to have more depth.
Julie Ehlers
Jan 30, 2011 Julie Ehlers rated it it was ok
Well, I wanted something quick, and this fit the bill, and I guess it was entertaining enough. But it had a big "who cares?" factor for me. The whole thing was emotionally detached, and without the emotion, why should I care about these very typical, privileged kids? Cool cartoons, though, I guess.
Melissa
Sep 10, 2011 Melissa rated it liked it
I read this book seven years ago and, by the time it came to adding this book to GoodReads, I can remember liking it, but I have no idea what the book was about. I can't even remember if it's a graphic novel (like the cover seems to suggest) or an actual novel. Hmmm.
Deb
Mar 06, 2008 Deb rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, esp since it was so close to home, literally! The reference to Spinners bar in Canada where Bill and I used to go had both of us laughing! Not really a story to it, but it reminded me of my own childhood a lot.
Barbara
Allright. Wanted it to be better.
Jennie
Aug 04, 2008 Jennie rated it really liked it
every reference felt like the author plucked from my very own adolescence. which made it that much more enjoyable to read. deeeetroitttt, yeahhhhh!
Sue
Aug 06, 2016 Sue rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 2004
Loved it - couldn't put it down. Did a great job of showing the friendship between a girl and a guy in high school.
Nicole
Aug 26, 2012 Nicole rated it really liked it
H
Nicole
Jul 12, 2011 Nicole rated it it was ok
I think I'm too old to relate to this and too young to be nostalgic about it.
Shannon
Jan 10, 2010 Shannon rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2004
Meh.
Alicia
Dec 25, 2012 Alicia rated it really liked it
A little amateurish, but captures the time period well. An enjoyable read.
Juli
Dec 20, 2007 Juli rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoir, own-and-read
Very cute. I love the easy style of narration, and it was given to me by my dear friend who is from GP, so it reminds me of her, but also, it's kind of like every girl growing up during that time.
Blake Nelson
Nov 04, 2013 Blake Nelson rated it it was amazing
one of my favorites.
Christine
May 27, 2014 Christine rated it it was ok
I probably would have loved this as a graphic novel. It's a quick, true to life, funny read.
Cherie
Dec 09, 2007 Cherie rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A- Read this quick coming-of-age novel in a day. You watch Emma grow up from an awkward copycat 12 yo to an adult.
Apr 21, 2013 Sarah rated it did not like it
I think this book is better if you live in Grosse Pointe, since there isn't much of a plot line to follow.....
Blake Nelson
Nov 05, 2007 Blake Nelson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the zine version of her first Simon and Schuster book. Loved it when I got it. thought: this is too good to get published. But it got published anyway!
Shawn McBride
May 23, 2014 Shawn McBride rated it it was amazing
This book is hilarious and touching and its author is like totally smoking seriously.
Brandi Johnson
Sep 04, 2013 Brandi Johnson rated it did not like it
This caught my eye at the library; since I live in MI I thought this YA coming of age story would be something I'd relate to. It was actually pretty terrible.
Jackie
Jackie rated it liked it
Jan 11, 2011
  • Donorboy
  • The Actual Real Reality of Jennifer James
  • Funny Little Monkey
  • Working Fire: The Making of a Fireman
  • Gucci Girls (Project Fashion)
  • The Anxiety of Everyday Objects
  • Claiming Georgia Tate
  • Snitch
  • A Greek God at the Ladies' Club
  • The Other Girl (Midvale Academy, #2)
  • Most Likely You Go Your Way and I'll Go Mine
  • The Nannies (Nannies, #1)
  • The Baby Merchant
  • Beautiful Blemish
  • Beating Heart: A Ghost Story
  • Catch
  • All This Heavenly Glory
  • Dancing in Red Shoes Will Kill You
When Sarah Grace McCandless was four, she knew exactly what she wanted to be when she grew up: a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader or a bus driver – however, neither panned out so she became a writer instead. A Midwest native, she also spent eight years in Portland, OR before moving to the east coast in 2004. She is the author of two fiction novels – Grosse Pointe Girl: Tales from a Suburban Adolescence ...more
More about Sarah Grace McCandless...