Start by marking “Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)” as Want to Read:
Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)

Crime School (Kathleen Mallory #6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,371 ratings  ·  61 reviews
Over the course of six novels, Carol O'Connell has become one of our most acclaimed writers of suspense. Her heroine, Kathy Mallory, is "stunningly unique" ("Milwaukee Journal Sentinel"). "O'Connell conjures up a world of almost Faulkerian richness and complexity," said "People," and the "Chicago Tribune" wrote simply, "O'Connell has raised the standard for psychological t ...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Putnam Adult (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Crime School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime School

Linda Robinson
Excellent. O'Connell digs into our brains and hauls out empathy, repulsion, anger, regret, pity, insanity. Mallory's world is not one I want to live in, but six books into the series, I feel like a rookie ghost standing by the sergeant's desk at the foot of the stairs leading up to Special Crimes Unit, watching. O'Connell knows we can never understand the gears that propel Mallory, or the pain that Riker lives with, or the unique and combustible combination of elements that is Charles Butler. I ...more
Melliott
And...this one was back to being great! This series is really frustrating--one good, one not, one good, one not. There's something about it that has caused me to hang in there, but...now I'm off to read three books for teen book clubs! Maybe I will revisit it after.
Fredrick Danysh
Kathleen Mallory is not your typical policewoman. First she was a street child until found and adopted by a policeman. She uses her gut instinct to solve crimes and takes no guff from anyone. Now she is working the murder of a bag lady.
Òphiere editoriale

Il poliziotto le corre dietro nei sotterranei della metropolitana, lei lo scansa è un diavolo ma non ha che dieci anni, è sporca e bionda. Tutto questo finchè un giorno il poliziotto le tende una trappola e l'agguanta. È così che una bambina di strada priva di qualsiasi morale finisce a vivere nella famiglia di un poliziotto, a nutrire per il padre e la madre la devozione di un cucciolo di lupo salvato dall'inverno. È così che nella Polizia di New York approda un detective robotico e seducente:
Cathy Ryan
This is the 6th book in the Kathy Mallory series. I had enough background from previous books, although I haven’t read them all, to catch up. Mallory is an enigma, a child of the streets who was looked after by hookers. She is damaged emotionally, unable or unwilling to allow herself to trust anyone. She was adopted by NYPD Detective Louis Markowitz and his wife Helen and became very close to them both. She is now a Detective herself and partnered by Markowitz’s old partner, Riker. Tough and int ...more
Roxann
This was the first Kathy Mallory book I read. Apparently this is the 5th book. I probably should have read them in order. The story was wonderful (or should I write the plot), but I didn't get into the characters. Also there seemed to be so much that I didn't know about what happened 'before'. I've read other series and most times a book in a series can stand alone. This one could not.
Stephanie Stephens
I felt like there was information that I was supposed to already know as I read this book, but somehow I didn't. But it was a bit lighter than the last one in the series, and I enjoyed it more. I might need a "happy book" break before I start the next one.
Cheryl
This book is one of a series of books by Carol O'Connell about a beautiful, damaged, maverick, and almost sociopathic detective named Kathleen Mallory (who insists on being called simply "Mallory"), and the people that love her despite her flaws: Charles, an intelligent, rich, but ugly family friend; Lou, the cop that takes her in; and Riker, her adopted father's partner. The relationships that develop between these characters as they solve crimes together are the focus of the series. This story ...more
Anahi
This was the first Kathy Mallory book I'd read and, while part of a series, it can _definitely_ stand alone. The characters' motivations and backgrounds are revealed slowly, morsel by morsel... much the same way we usually discover the histories of people we meet in adulthood. Both the plot & Kathy Mallory are scary and scarily satisfying, even though the lead character is a walking contradiction (also just like real-life humans). Definitely add this book to your must read shelf! I am adding ...more
Joyce Lagow
5th in the Mallory series.[return][return]This will be the last book with Mallory as a protagonist that I will read. I simply can not take more O Connell s inability to realize her protagonists as real characters and her seeming inability to demonstrate what she says about her characters rather than constantly telling us what we should believe.[return][return]Which is too bad, because O Connell can plot and her other characters other than Mallory, Charles and Riker are fascinating. Her writing i ...more
Jeff J.
I didn't find this book quite as engaging as the earlier entries in the series, but appreciated learning more of the backstory of Kathy Mallory. The sociopathic cop that Carol O'Connell has created is certainly unique in the annals of crime fiction.
Kris
My dad sent me a few of the mysteries in this series, and this one was the first I read. It might be the only one, since it was just okay. Honestly, at the beginning I actually disliked it. The prose is kind of bad in places (for example, in one paragraph between the use of pronouns and a shift in the narrative perspective, I couldn't figure out which character was being described) and rather repetitive. I kept reading, though, and the mystery plot itself was fairly interesting. I never felt ver ...more
Sunni
I am hooked on Carol O'Connell and the Mallory series. I was disappointed with this one, however. I thought it went too overboard with all the gore and could have used more of the "sentimental" character development of her previous novels. The grisly descriptions became repetitive and dull, as well as nauseating. I feel that it was being used to fill and push the edge -- the shock factor. I also thought some things were stretched to the implausible...the idea of this book group and some of Charl ...more
Philip
I had a hard time finishing this book. None of the characters are even fun to know. And it's doubly hard when you are always trying to figure out what the writer is referring to or means.
Melissa
Good addition to Mallory series. A little confusing in parts, drug a little. Hanging involving someone from Kathy's past.
Ann
Excellent, excellent book. I will give this one a 10 of 10 rank. The Mallory series is intricately plotted, with favorite characters revealing in each book a few more layers of insight into their character and actions and this one is no exception. Three separate crimes are being investigated, one a twenty year old murder, two recent murders are eerily similar. The NY setting, the glimpses of so many diverse and interesting characters and police procedural details combine with the compelling and ...more
Brucie
unique personality overpowers the other features of this story
Tom
Jun 12, 2014 Tom added it
Shelves: o-connell-carol
Mallory #6
Jodi
Kathleen Mallory 6
William
I had a little bit of a hard time finishing this book. It was good, yet it was dry in spots and just didn't seem to flow as well from beginning to end.
Betty
Kathy Mallory continues to be a fascinating and flawed character. The fifth book in O'Connell's series provides a lot of Mallory's backstory, fleshing out some of the reasons for Mallory's prickly and standoffish personality. But what I liked best about this book was that Riker had a bigger role. But there wasn't nearly enough of Charles. He played a role throughout the book, but it was almost as if O'Connell wrote each scene and then realized she had left Charles out and did a quick rewrite to ...more
Joanna
May 26, 2014 Joanna added it
excellent
Ruth
c2002. Great again. O'Connell never disappoints. Jonathan Kellerman is quoted as saying "Kathy Mallory is a marvellous creation" And I agree whole heartedly. There is enough subtle pathos drawn into the character that although you know that her public persona never gives an inch, there is still a small feral child within. Loved it! "Head bowed, she sat in the absolute darkness - awaiting the video's next run - so she could continue to nurse her deep hatred of Sparrow."
Alice Parrish
Hands down the best Kathleen Mallory mystery so far. I love these books, all of them, even the ones I like less than others. In Stone Angel we learn about Kathy's mother & how she became the baby thief that Louis Markowitz rescues from the streets of New York City. In Crime School we learn what life on the street was really like for little Kathy & the true story of how she came to live with Louis & Helen. Oh yeah and maybe what it really means to love someone completely.
Tasula
Another good installment in the series about slightly sociopathic detective Kathy Mallory, and her usual crew of sloppy alcoholic long time partner Riker, and homely patrician PhD Charles Butler. Mallory has unusual reactions (I did mention the slightly sociopathic, right?) and a mania for solving crimes. Her friends have to live with her "quirks" and some of the story is about how she came to be that way and how they help her cope.
Deb
Mallory's past haunts her once again. A dead prostitute, Sparrow, found hung in her apartment. Sparrow was a "mother" to Mallory when Mallory was homeless. Something happened between Sparrow and Mallory when Mallory was 10 yrs. old and they never spoke to each other again. Mallory helps solve this murder which involves a murder that happened 20 years ago. Very fast-paced.
Victoria
well written book of psychological depth. This is my first Mallory mystery, and it's sixth in this series. I think I missed something coming in at this point--Mallory is not very believable or likable. The plot was so well crafted, though, it kept my interest. Not an escapist book, but as another reviewer suggested, maybe i will come back to this series after i read a "happy book."
Kt Thames
Received a starred review from the Kirkus reviews, and after reading it, I understand why. Reverting to her police procedural format, Mallory leaps off the page in the hunt to track down a serial killer. One of the best books in series by far! (This book is not for the faint of heart - some gruesome moments are hard to get past).
Jeanean
Well I decided to give the "Mallory" series another shot and I am glad that I did. I liked this story and the way that it was written. It was much closer to the fantastic Judas Child and Bone by Bone. I may have to go back and reread the books that I didn't like now that I have some of the backstory.
  • To Play the Fool (Kate Martinelli, #2)
  • Corpus Christmas (Sigrid Harald Mystery #6)
  • The Death of a Mafia Don
  • Kittyhawk Down (Inspector Challis, #2)
  • Red Light (Merci Rayborn #2)
  • Hades
  • Dead Past (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #4)
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • Beautiful Ghosts (Inspector Shan, #4)
  • Tunnel Vision (V.I. Warshawski, #8)
  • Midnight Come Again (Kate Shugak, #10)
  • Judas Kiss (Taylor Jackson, #3)
  • Loving Time (April Woo, #3)
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...

Kathleen Mallory (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1)
  • The Man Who Cast Two Shadows (Kathleen Mallory, #2)
  • Killing Critics (Kathleen Mallory, #3)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Shell Game (Kathleen Mallory, #5)
  • Dead Famous (Kathleen Mallory, #7)
  • Winter House (Kathleen Mallory, #8)
  • Find Me (Kathleen Mallory, #9)
  • The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10)
  • It Happens in the Dark (Kathleen Mallory, #11)
Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1) The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10) Judas Child Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4) Bone By Bone

“Crazy is a place," said Janos. "You go, you come back.” 6 likes