Crime School (Kathleen Mallory, #6)

Crime School (Kathleen Mallory #6)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  1,224 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Over the course of six novels, Carol O'Connell has become one of our most acclaimed writers of suspense. Her heroine, Kathy Mallory, is "stunningly unique" (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel). "O'Connell conjures up a world of almost Faulkerian richness and complexity," said People, and the Chicago Tribune wrote simply, "O'Connell has raised the standard for psychological thrille...more
Published September 9th 2002 by Putnam Adult (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Crime School, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crime School

Linda Robinson
Excellent. O'Connell digs into our brains and hauls out empathy, repulsion, anger, regret, pity, insanity. Mallory's world is not one I want to live in, but six books into the series, I feel like a rookie ghost standing by the sergeant's desk at the foot of the stairs leading up to Special Crimes Unit, watching. O'Connell knows we can never understand the gears that propel Mallory, or the pain that Riker lives with, or the unique and combustible combination of elements that is Charles Butler. I...more
Libri Òphiere

Il poliziotto le corre dietro nei sotterranei della metropolitana, lei lo scansa è un diavolo ma non ha che dieci anni, è sporca e bionda. Tutto questo finchè un giorno il poliziotto le tende una trappola e l'agguanta. È così che una bambina di strada priva di qualsiasi morale finisce a vivere nella famiglia di un poliziotto, a nutrire per il padre e la madre la devozione di un cucciolo di lupo salvato dall'inverno. È così che nella Polizia di New York approda un detective robotico e seducente:...more
Roxann
This was the first Kathy Mallory book I read. Apparently this is the 5th book. I probably should have read them in order. The story was wonderful (or should I write the plot), but I didn't get into the characters. Also there seemed to be so much that I didn't know about what happened 'before'. I've read other series and most times a book in a series can stand alone. This one could not.
Stephanie Stephens
I felt like there was information that I was supposed to already know as I read this book, but somehow I didn't. But it was a bit lighter than the last one in the series, and I enjoyed it more. I might need a "happy book" break before I start the next one.
Joyce Lagow
5th in the Mallory series.[return][return]This will be the last book with Mallory as a protagonist that I will read. I simply can not take more O� Connell� s inability to realize her protagonists as real characters and her seeming inability to demonstrate what she says about her characters rather than constantly telling us what we should believe.[return][return]Which is too bad, because O� Connell can plot and her other characters� other than Mallory, Charles and Riker� are fascinating. Her writ...more
Cheryl
This book is one of a series of books by Carol O'Connell about a beautiful, damaged, maverick, and almost sociopathic detective named Kathleen Mallory (who insists on being called simply "Mallory"), and the people that love her despite her flaws: Charles, an intelligent, rich, but ugly family friend; Lou, the cop that takes her in; and Riker, her adopted father's partner. The relationships that develop between these characters as they solve crimes together are the focus of the series. [return][r...more
Kris
My dad sent me a few of the mysteries in this series, and this one was the first I read. It might be the only one, since it was just okay. Honestly, at the beginning I actually disliked it. The prose is kind of bad in places (for example, in one paragraph between the use of pronouns and a shift in the narrative perspective, I couldn't figure out which character was being described) and rather repetitive. I kept reading, though, and the mystery plot itself was fairly interesting. I never felt ver...more
Sunni
I am hooked on Carol O'Connell and the Mallory series. I was disappointed with this one, however. I thought it went too overboard with all the gore and could have used more of the "sentimental" character development of her previous novels. The grisly descriptions became repetitive and dull, as well as nauseating. I feel that it was being used to fill and push the edge -- the shock factor. I also thought some things were stretched to the implausible...the idea of this book group and some of Charl...more
Ann
Excellent, excellent book. I will give this one a 10 of 10 rank. The Mallory series is intricately plotted, with favorite characters revealing in each book a few more layers of insight into their character and actions and this one is no exception. Three separate crimes are being investigated, one a twenty year old murder, two recent murders are eerily similar. The NY setting, the glimpses of so many diverse and interesting characters and police procedural details combine with the compelling and...more
Tom
Jun 12, 2014 Tom added it
Shelves: o-connell-carol
Mallory #6
Jodi
Kathleen Mallory 6
William
I had a little bit of a hard time finishing this book. It was good, yet it was dry in spots and just didn't seem to flow as well from beginning to end.
Betty
Kathy Mallory continues to be a fascinating and flawed character. The fifth book in O'Connell's series provides a lot of Mallory's backstory, fleshing out some of the reasons for Mallory's prickly and standoffish personality. But what I liked best about this book was that Riker had a bigger role. But there wasn't nearly enough of Charles. He played a role throughout the book, but it was almost as if O'Connell wrote each scene and then realized she had left Charles out and did a quick rewrite to...more
Joanna
May 26, 2014 Joanna added it
excellent
Ruth
c2002. Great again. O'Connell never disappoints. Jonathan Kellerman is quoted as saying "Kathy Mallory is a marvellous creation" And I agree whole heartedly. There is enough subtle pathos drawn into the character that although you know that her public persona never gives an inch, there is still a small feral child within. Loved it! "Head bowed, she sat in the absolute darkness - awaiting the video's next run - so she could continue to nurse her deep hatred of Sparrow."
Alice Parrish
Hands down the best Kathleen Mallory mystery so far. I love these books, all of them, even the ones I like less than others. In Stone Angel we learn about Kathy's mother & how she became the baby thief that Louis Markowitz rescues from the streets of New York City. In Crime School we learn what life on the street was really like for little Kathy & the true story of how she came to live with Louis & Helen. Oh yeah and maybe what it really means to love someone completely.
Tasula
Another good installment in the series about slightly sociopathic detective Kathy Mallory, and her usual crew of sloppy alcoholic long time partner Riker, and homely patrician PhD Charles Butler. Mallory has unusual reactions (I did mention the slightly sociopathic, right?) and a mania for solving crimes. Her friends have to live with her "quirks" and some of the story is about how she came to be that way and how they help her cope.
Deb
Mallory's past haunts her once again. A dead prostitute, Sparrow, found hung in her apartment. Sparrow was a "mother" to Mallory when Mallory was homeless. Something happened between Sparrow and Mallory when Mallory was 10 yrs. old and they never spoke to each other again. Mallory helps solve this murder which involves a murder that happened 20 years ago. Very fast-paced.
Victoria
well written book of psychological depth. This is my first Mallory mystery, and it's sixth in this series. I think I missed something coming in at this point--Mallory is not very believable or likable. The plot was so well crafted, though, it kept my interest. Not an escapist book, but as another reviewer suggested, maybe i will come back to this series after i read a "happy book."
Kt Thames
Received a starred review from the Kirkus reviews, and after reading it, I understand why. Reverting to her police procedural format, Mallory leaps off the page in the hunt to track down a serial killer. One of the best books in series by far! (This book is not for the faint of heart - some gruesome moments are hard to get past).
Jeanean
Well I decided to give the "Mallory" series another shot and I am glad that I did. I liked this story and the way that it was written. It was much closer to the fantastic Judas Child and Bone by Bone. I may have to go back and reread the books that I didn't like now that I have some of the backstory.
Lotte_ladybird
This was the first Kathy Mallory book I read and I should probably have read them in the right order. The story was brilliant - loved it. Didn't really like the characters. I felt there was too much I didn't know and that's why I didn't like them. Had I read them in order in might have been different.
Kelly
Yet again, Carol O'Connell has hit a home run with her Kathy Mallory series. I couldn't put this book down and sincerely hope that as I draw to the end of the books currently published, O'Connell is working on another one. A must read for anyone who likes mysteries!
Linny
Liked the character and back story of how damaged Kathy Mallory was, searching for herself and her mother, her past in the present murders. All about her. Whole series , how can this proceed? In Find Me, telling the back story again not work as well.
Dave
Great to reacquaint myself with the amazing Kathy Mallory. This is a unique series. While the characters definitely require willful suspension of disbelief, the writing is challenging and the rewards are real.
Rachel
I have a love hate relationship with crime novels. I love the details and trying to solve the puzzle, but I hate the gore and cruelty. I truly like O'Connell's writing style and characters
Sarah Fox
I enjoyed the suspense of wondering who the scarecrow or serial killer is. The novel centers around the investigation of a serial killer who stalks and hangs blond women.
Andrea
Jun 07, 2010 Andrea rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Andrea by: AAUW Book Sale
While I thought the plot and characters were interesting, I got really really really tired of reading that Kathy's eyes are green, Charles is tall, blahblahblah.
Natalie Collins
Mar 21, 2008 Natalie Collins rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone who likes crime fiction
Recommended to Natalie by: The booksellers at Seattle Mystery Bookshop
Fairly good read. A little meandering, and I didn't totally buy into the main character's motivations, but still fascinating.
Baxter Trautman
Gave up on it. Loved Mallory when I was younger, but now find it hard to hang with her and her tired cohorts.
  • Night Work (Kate Martinelli, #4)
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Maggody and the Moonbeams (Arly Hanks, #13)
  • Death in Blue Folders (Sigrid Harald Mystery #3)
  • Kolymsky Heights
  • Sympathy Between Humans (Sarah Pribek #2)
  • Hades
  • Seventy-Seven Clocks (Bryant & May, # 3)
  • The Vault (Peter Diamond, #6)
  • Nice Girls Finish Last (Robin Hudson, #2)
  • Drawn in Blood (Burbank & Parker, #2)
  • Child's Play (Dalziel & Pascoe, #9)
Born in 1947, Carol O'Connell studied at the California Institute or Arts/Chouinard and the Arizona State University. She lives in New York City.

Series:
* Kathleen Mallory

More about Carol O'Connell...
Mallory's Oracle (Kathleen Mallory, #1) The Chalk Girl (Kathleen Mallory, #10) Judas Child Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4) Bone By Bone

“Crazy is a place," said Janos. "You go, you come back.” 4 likes