Start by marking “Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)” as Want to Read:
Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)

Amelia Rules! Volume 3: Superheroes (Amelia Rules! #3)

Amelia McBride is facing more changes - her beloved Aunt Tanner is moving, new friend Trish is hiding a terrible secret and super-hero-wannabe Reggie has vowed to destroy the evil Legion of Steves. (You did know that everyone named Steve is up to no good, right??) This first ever novel-length Amelia Rules! story masterfully combines seriousness and humor, even taking the ...more
Published September 13th 2006 by Renaissance Press (first published January 1st 2006)

Patrice Sartor
I gave the first Amelia graphic novel 2 stars, and with that, I figured I was done with the Amelia books. Trevor (10) liked the first one reasonably well, and I got at least five more of them transferred to our local library for *his* reading pleasure. Still, I didn't expect him to approach me, title in hand, and say "I think you might like this one. It made me tear up at the end." OK, how can I resist THAT? Trevor knows I am a softie, and will cry at heart-string pulling, non-eye-rolling ...more
Alex
Jul 04, 2014 Alex rated it it was amazing
Amazing and cleaver this book was a total random book sale buy and I seriously can't wait to find the others. This is how you write a children's graphic novel Yolan take notes. I didn't expect this to make me weep like a baby but wow that ending, heartrendingly amazing.

My only complaint is that these kids are supposed to be fourth graders to fifth grade age, when honestly should have been sixth to seventh. That way the vocabulary and topics would be more on par with who is able to read this ser
Danielle
Aug 21, 2016 Danielle rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: any reader, comic fan or not
*First read when I was a kid*

This volume is the first one that really stuck out to me, mostly because it deals with the issue of chronic illness (and its themes can be extended to mental illness). I think that even while I was enjoying the story, I was trying to take in the lessons they were extending, and to apply them to my own life. I think I still am today. I don't have a whole lot to say about this volume generally (a lot of it's covered below), but the mix of funny and heartbreaking and ul
Dawn Rutherford
Very sweet with lots of depth and genuine kids stuff going on. I'd love to see some 8-11 year olds reading this.
Nicole Scheu
Summary: This book is the third in a series of Amelia Rules! by Jimmy Gownley's. This book, Superheroes, is about Amelia's adventures dealing with having to move, new friendships and secret legends, and all the adventures she faces with superhero characters.

Characteristics that support the genre: The book is laid out in a comic strip form that combines the traits of a novel.

Writing mentor traits:
Presentation-The book is in a comic strip form with different punctuations to emphasize expression.
Dylan
Apr 01, 2016 Dylan rated it it was amazing
I am a Brave Boy, my home is near. YOU ARE INSIGNIFICANT! Vol 3 made Amelia Rules jump from good to great. A realistic portrayal of life as an only child with divorced parents. Vol 3 kicks off with the beginning of summer vacation and maybe a brutal change for Amelia, but luckily her Aunt Tanner former pop star saves the day

We also get to know some minor characters from Book 2 as the members of GASP have to take on their arch enemies the Ninja's and a new group called the Legion of Steves. Along
Brandy
There simply aren't enough good words in the English language to describe this book. It's been compared to Peanuts more times than I can count, and if you're just looking at the cuteness of it, I can understand that--it does have a moderately Peanutsy look. But where this story really shines is in the emotional content. Gownley's biggest strength is his ability to portray situations with all the gravity they have to a 10-year-old. A situation that doesn't merit much thinking about to an adult, b ...more
Dolly
Jul 19, 2014 Dolly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the third book in the Amelia Rules! series by Jimmy Gownley. We recently discovered this series and our girls just love it - they will argue over who gets to read the books first. They are really into reading graphic novels right now and we all love that it features a strong female main character who has other strong women in her life.

The book is broken up into six short stories that are consecutive in time and show how the friends' relationship develops and changes over time and introd
Emily
May 21, 2008 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Summary (Worldcat): Amelia McBride has to face even more changes. Her beloved she's moving again, her new friend Trish is hiding a terrible secret, and superhero-wannabe Reggie has vowed to destroy the evil Legion of Steves.

Review: This book is great fun and a great introduction to graphic novels. The medium is skillfully used to alternate character view point, to change tone, and even for parody. The characters are loveable and dynamic. The story line is dramatic but feel very authentic as well
Ashley
Jan 04, 2013 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Ten year old Amelia Louise McBride is getting used to living in a small town. Sure, it was hard to leave New York after her parents decided to get divorced. But now that she's got her friends Reggie, Rhonda, and Pajamaman, she's starting to feel like things just might be okay. That is, until her mom drops the bomb that they might be moving again - across town, to a new school district. Can things get any worse for Amelia?
When Amelia meets her new friend Trish and learns about the terrible secre
Carolyn
Jan 27, 2016 Carolyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ok, I'm back for some more gushing about how much I love this series. I think this might be my favorite volume in the series (at least so far). It handled some pretty heavy topics, but it was really handled so well. Gownley is really good at handling "adult" topics in a way that's accessible to kids without treating them like they're unintelligent. This is something I have also noticed in Peanuts, which this has been compared to on several occasions, and I can definitely see the similarities! I ...more
Saviourofmusic
Feb 17, 2013 Saviourofmusic rated it it was amazing
I started reading these when I was 13 and I still love them. They remind me of being a little kid again and are funny while have serious messages. Amelia is a great character: she's precocious and really a bit of a smart-Alec, but understanding and sensitive. Tanner is like a rockstar Yoda in a belly-showing shirt. Amelia's friends are unique and funny in every way. Her parents are kind and nurturing, without being totally perfect. These books charming and heartwarming, with beautiful artwork. ...more
Kathy
Jul 16, 2008 Kathy rated it really liked it
Amelia Rules! graphic novels always make me happy! The characters are wonderful, as is the presentation. Amelia shows life thru the eyes of a 10 year old girl with all its ups & downs. This one had more downs then usual, but still enough light-hearted moments to round it off nicely. Her collection of friends add different view points, as does her Aunt Tanner. Everyone should have a Tanner in their lives.
Tazendra
Sep 08, 2016 Tazendra rated it really liked it
Still entertaining (although I thought a couple parts were a bit boring). Out of the three books in this series so far, I like this one the most. It was pretty magical and mysterious in a winking kind of way (especially the ending). I hope that the 4th one is just as magical. 4 stars for this one.
Neo'sha
Dec 03, 2014 Neo'sha rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this! This was the second one that I've read and I love the storyline and the characters. It brings back the memories that I have of elementary school. There was a couple of twists and turns where I wasn't sure what would happen to Amelia and Trishia, but I loved that it gives the readers a glimpse into the future. Awesome!! A book for all ages :)
Chris Hays
Mar 22, 2014 Chris Hays rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, humor
This is like a female 'Calvin' from the Watterson days. The beautiful difference is that you get a completely fleshed out story. To an adult the 'danger' or choices might seem small, but for pre-teens they hit the target. Recommended to any 4-6 grade teacher who can figure out how to display the art while using this as a read a-loud.
Jeannie
I bought this book for my classroom because I'm always looking for new great graphic novels and comics for my classroom library and I thought it looked good. It is good, but not as good as I thought. I found the lead character got eclipsed by her male friends sometimes too much and because it's not the first in the series, there were some things I didn't understand.
Molly
This is going to be a great book to give to a child going through a divorce. I am touched by Amelia and her friends. They are funny (especially in their superhero costumes) but they also are real. I went from laughing to almost crying. The characters are real and their lives are much like many childrens. grades 4+
Dana *
Mar 22, 2010 Dana * rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, manga
These books are helping transition my daughter to self reading instead of being read to. The stories are a bit more complex than in chapter books, and the illustrations help her apply inflection to her reading also.

Amelia is a many faceted character and a relatable child. I would recommend this for girls aged 7-11.
Shelley
Feb 07, 2015 Shelley rated it really liked it
I'm sure I've read this one before, but it's feeling new. The Phondapunzel silent movie fantasy had me laughing out loud (I just knew that a handsome prince would come save me! You are a prince, right? (Well, my Dad has most of his albums.) Close enough!), and I just love the balance of humor and darkness in this series.
Terri
May 01, 2012 Terri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's official. I'm hooked. I'm no longer pretending to read this for my some-day middle years students. And I *may* just have a wee crush on Tanner. *hip checks Reggie out of the way* Another amazingly crafted story with two excellent arcs that are sure to leave you in tears.
Jeff Raymond
Dec 19, 2010 Jeff Raymond rated it it was amazing
I've talked about how this series has a lot of heart and a lot going for it, and this installment in particular really stepped it up in a heart-wrenching and heartwarming way. Absolutely wonderful. Just excellent.
Cassidy
Jul 06, 2013 Cassidy rated it liked it
I read this for a contest at the library. I have never read a graphic novel before, so it was fun to try a new genre. I probably won't read another one. But when I was picking it out, many boys around the age of 10 were checking them out and I think this genre would be perfect for that age group!
Rachel
May 14, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
A great graphic novel for ages 7 and up. Funny and touching, this book covers such topics as childhood crushes, divorce, moving, illness. A great read for older kids and for adults who want to remember what it was like to be a kid trying to navigate through this often confusing world.
Rory
May 12, 2007 Rory rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people who dig graphic novels and used to love "Ramona" books
i feel like i should have liked this more...maybe i'm really not a huge fan of graphic novels, generally. maybe because they're hard to skim?
Alyssa (The Shady Glade)
May 01, 2012 Alyssa (The Shady Glade) rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Always enjoy these books. This one wasn't *quite* as good as the previous too, but I did still enjoy reading it.
Beck
Dec 04, 2009 Beck rated it it was amazing
I think the way Gownley illustrates is just so clever. Plot, words, pictures, everything...loved it.
Suzan
Aug 08, 2011 Suzan added it
Kari
Sep 28, 2011 Kari rated it it was amazing
Shelves: graphic-novel
6 year old "This was actually really fun...when this kid was defeating his mom's boyfriend named Steve."
jacky
Mar 12, 2016 jacky rated it really liked it
Parts of this were just 3 stars, but others 5. I really liked the twist about the move and Trisha's storyline.
  • Babymouse: The Musical (Babymouse, #10)
  • Into the Woods (BIGFOOT Boy #1)
  • Owly, Vol. 4:  A Time to Be Brave (Owly, #4)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Astronaut Academy: Zero Gravity
  • Spiral-Bound: Top Secret Summer
  • Oddly Normal
  • Magic Pickle
  • The Silver Six
  • The Dragon Players (Knights Of The Lunch Table, #2)
  • Tower of Treasure (Three Thieves, #1)
  • Regarding the Bees: A Lesson, in Letters, on Honey, Dating, and Other Sticky Subjects
  • Mal and Chad: The Biggest, Bestest Time Ever! (Mal and Chad, #1)
  • Lunch Lady and the Schoolwide Scuffle (Lunch Lady, #10)
  • Pilot & Huxley: The first adventure
Jimmy Gownley is the author and illustrator of the Amelia Rules! series of graphic novels, as well as the memoir The Dumbest Idea Ever!.

He has been nominated for 13 Eisner awards and 6 Harvey awards. His book Superheroes won the 2006 Cybil Award for best graphic novel for kids 12 and under.

He lives in Pennsylvania.
More about Jimmy Gownley...

Amelia Rules! (8 books)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 1: The Whole World's Crazy (Amelia Rules! #1)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 2: What Makes You Happy (Amelia Rules! #2)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 4: When the Past is a Present (Amelia Rules! #4)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 5: The Tweenage Guide to Not Being Unpopular (Amelia Rules! #5)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 6: True Things Adults Don't Want Kids to Know (Amelia Rules! #6)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 7: The Meaning of Life... and Other Stuff (Amelia Rules! #7)
  • Amelia Rules! Volume 8: Her Permanent Record (Amelia Rules! #8)