Start by marking “Animal Instincts” as Want to Read:
Animal Instincts

Animal Instincts

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  2,362 ratings  ·  135 reviews
Published April 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Instincts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Instincts

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsWallbanger by Alice Clayton
Humorous Romance Books
139th out of 1,720 books — 3,943 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFire by Kristin CashoreGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussInkheart by Cornelia Funke
Seeing Red
224th out of 1,067 books — 298 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
After a very bad marriage in which her husband constantly cheated on her Naomi Delacroix is determined to stop being such a doormat and let her inner Tigress out to play. If this means unleashing her Tigress on the too-sexy Royce Powell then so be it, the only problem being is that he seems to make her inner Tigress purr...

I had a grin going the entire time I read this book, it may have made me look slightly insane and maybe scared small children, but I was too involved reading the book to reall
L8blmr
This was a fun, light and sexy read, featuring a rich, hot hero pursuing a divorced, insecure career girl. Not much new or original, but enjoyable in the way it was constructed, and no stupid misunderstandings (always a plus for me). This story is told in first person, which may be an imediate turn-off for some, but I found it tolerable. If you need a spicy break from heavier fare, give this romance with a sweet HEA a try.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I must admit that this is my first Gena Showalter book. I really don’t know what made me pick this one, but I was glad I did. It was really fun to read, relaxing and fast. I guess I finished it in two days. But it was like a breath of fresh air. Too much seriousness gets to you in the end.

Now, I really liked the story. It was light but the best part of it was the humor. I really enjoyed the whole Tigress thing. I gathered some quotes that I thought hilarious, but there were too many so I had to
Elisa Rolle
Naomi is a newly divorced event planner who has decided to unveal her inner tiger. She is tired to be used by men and now her life will be different... but then she meets Royce, a multimillionar hunk who says he loves her and wants to marry her. What a bastard, isn't he?

Royce is the perfect man: rich, handsome, gentle, clever... you really can hate him, too perfect!

Naomi instead is not so perfect: average beautiful, no a success working girl, not very rich... you really can hate her, too imper
Paige
I won't go into plot details, as they've been covered very well by previous reviews. Instead, I'm going to focus more on Showalter's writing, because she consistently delivers books that are an absolute blast to read.

Untold numbers of writers, particularly in this genre, attempt to create heroes and heroines that are chock full of sarcasm and witty banter. Unfortunately, most of their efforts feel forced and fall flat. Showalter, on the other hand, has a gift for delivering truly funny and clev
May
Jun 10, 2010 May rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: nobody. It's a guilty pleasure read, I couldn't guess who would/wouldn't be loving it...
Know how sometimes you read a book and think "oh, there was so much I should fault here... yet I totally loved it."? I call this a guilty pleasure read, and Animal Instincts totally qualifies.
The heroine is a plain jane doormat turned "tigress", the hero a very rich handsome man. She goes to work for him (she plans parties) only to find out he's already totally smitten with her and it scares her. Why? She had a yuck dad + jerk ex-husband.
Now, I feel like I could truly rip this sucker to shreds,
Jen
Ugh. This author could really do interesting things if only she could get a little depth into her heroes. They're so one-dimensional. Do all her books have a slightly damaged woman getting bossed around by sexy man until she falls for him? Do they all have to end with marriage and babies? It just seems so forced.
If you're a single or divorced self-help-book lover who is convinced all men are evil but really deep down inside just wants a white horse and a walk down the aisle with lots of babies
Diana
Hired to plan Royce's mother's birthday party, Naomi is unaware that he's been in love with her for six months. However much she is attracted to him, Naomi is scarred by a cheating ex-husband and nasty divorce and is afraid of committing again.

Fascinating. A real departure for Showalter with a contemporary romance with no paranormal aspects. Royce is at first a little overbearing but is perfectly romantic. Naomi is a little less likeable with her trust issues that almost destroy their relationsh
Ria Lize
3.25/5

I'm a sucker for books with the shy, clueless heroine and the relentless hot guy. For the most part, I like the whole resistance and denial, him working to earn her trust. Sometimes the heroine can be wrapped up in her own thoughts for too long, how she's hurt, or she's just not good enough, so the hero breaking those notions can be so much fun.

-In Animal Instincts, it worked, and it didn't. It worked because Naomi did soften up to him, and eventually she learned to trust. Her refusing his
Kathrynn
I read this sometime in 2006 and it is NOT a paranormal book. Strictly romance. There are no twists or turns, no suspense and no action, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes, just what we need to read for a chance of pace.

Naomi (recently divorce and a party planner) is courted by Royce (CEO of aeronatuical company).

Candice
I really enjoyed this one! It had plenty of humor & that's the biggest reason I enjoyed it so much. I loved Royce, the hero, but I got fed up with Naomi's issues by the end of it all. Ms. Showalter definitely knows how to write a good one though. She's always entertaining.
The Pleasures Chest
Description:

Unleashing your inner tigress isn't easy when you're a doormat by nature! Still, after escaping a wretched marriage to a cheating SOB, Dallas party planner Naomi Delacroix isn't about to let another man sweet-talk her into sheathing her protective claws. Not even hunky millionaire Royce Powell, who's hired her to arrange his mother's surprise party. Even if he does make her purr like a kitten with one heated glance... Royce claims he's been in love with her ever since she threw a par
Manuela
Mi è difficile esprimere un giudizio chiaro e definitivo su questo romanzo. Un 50 % di cose mi sono piaciute, ma un altrettanto 50 % mi ha fatto storcere il naso.
Il pretesto iniziale, le domande per sposare Royce per intenderci, l'ho trovato francamente demenziale, al limite del ridicolo; le schermaglie dialettiche e mentali tra i due protagonisti sono ben scritte, con uno stile fresco e diretto che diverte e non annoia mai, ma in generale l'intero intreccio, lo svolgersi della trama e i passag
Serena
TRAMA: Una vera tigre sa come mettersi in mostra. Avanza a testa alta, con il petto in fuori e l'aria di voler dire: "Ti mangerò vivo"
Naomi invece sa che liberare la tigre che è in lei non sarà facile quando per natura è più portata a fare da zerbino. Cosa può inventarsi allora una ragazza timida e delusa dal sesso maschile per recuperare i suoi istinti primordiali? La sua identità più remota, più sottilmente sexy, in una parola: il suo istinto animale? Naomi è infatti poco propensa a lasciarsi
Tracy
Loved the First Half, The Second...Not So Much
I was looking for a light, fun, romantic read - taking a break, actually, from a book that defines heavy reading. Of course I went to Showalter - she's usually a sure fire gem in that arena. And in Animal Instincts, she was as well...for the first half of the book.

Naomi, burned first by the biological father who did her mom wrong then again by her own husband, sees love and marriage as the most insidious sorts of traps and thinks all men are utter sn
Ariel
Io lo dico: io e la Showalter siamo partite bene. Non ho mai letto nulla di suo e già mi piaceva troppo per non iniziare tutte quante le serie che aveva scritto. Quindi mi sono detta Dai, inizio con un autoconclusivo per capire un po' con chi ho a che fare.

Ho un bel po' di cose da dire su questo libro. Molte cose mi sono piaciute, altre no. Le divido in una lista, così magari la recensione sembra lunga, ehehhe.

Cose che mi sono piaciute:
- Le gemelle. Mel e Kera sono le mie ragazze, le protagonist
liz
You know the drill, feisty woman falls for the "wrong man"... in this case it's actually a contemporary setting (Dallas), with the protagonist steadfastly refusing to learn to trust men again after her divorce from her asshole ex-husband. This also involves trying to fight her relenteless attraction to a sexy local captain of industry, whose mother's surprise party she's trying to plan. The plot moves forward in spite of stubborn characters who are mostly amusing. And can I just say, I've never ...more
Baylee
Leggi la recensione su Lovely Dreams!

Questo romanzo è in perfetto stile Showalter: via le c*****e serie, fate largo a tanto sano divertimento. Quindi non aspettatevi approfondimento psicologico, personaggi di spessore, riflessioni sui massimi sistemi della vita. Qui si ride, gente. E tanto!

Naomi è una donna tanto delusa dagli uomini che potrebbe fare la promoter della castrazione chimica maschile. Ben decisa a non dare mai più credito all'altro sesso, è costretta a rivedere alcune delle sue prio
Ella
Gena Showalter est une nouvelle découverte et je compte bien lire d'autre de ses livres. J'ai commencé avec "Catch a mate", et je n'avais pas très envie de quelque chose de paranormal tout de suite donc j'ai opté pour le seul de ses autres livres que j'ai trouvé qui était une comédie romantique.
Honnêtement, "animal instincts" c'est un petit bijou. Mais j'aurais du attendre un peu pour le lire car juste après "catch a mate" forcement, j'ai vu les ressemblances et j'ai comparés les deux livres....
Crista
This one had some promising aspects. I was laughing out loud during this first part of this book, but then all of a sudden it just became to "over the top" and unrealistic for me to even be able to suspend belief for a moment...which is funny because this a romance novel!

Here's what I disliked:
1. I don't prefer to read books written in the first person. These kind of books usually leave out to much of what others are thinking. This book is a perfect example of just that.
2. I don't like books
Liza
I must wrote this here because it's so funny, it's about Royce's parents.. I really did LOL at this and I sooo like the writing of Gena Showalter! :)

"I've never met two people more in need of a divorce. They bickered and fought all evening.
Royce said that's how they express their love. I don't believe him. I mean, please. You tell me if you feel
the love from this conversation (written word for word as I remember it):

Linda: Elliot, be a dear and get me another drink.
Elliot: Get it yourself.
Linda:
Akhila paul
I loved this book couldn't stop laughing. The character are utterly hilarious. I mean really how many book do u find a man trying to make a women accept a marriage . I loved the part in which Royce refused to sleep with Noami until she married or started a relationship with him & how Noami plans to seduce him into bet. Really if u like romantic comedy this a book u must read.
Michelle
I love love love this book! Great characters(Naomi drove me a bit nuts with her non commitment issues) but Royce made up for that in spades! Perfect amount of heat and sex scenes were well written! I knew I loved Gena Showalter for a reason..she a fantastic storyteller!
Melinda
I read this book a while ago and I'm finally reviewing it now. So I do remember liking this book. I did like the main character in spite of the slowness of her evolution. Naomi feels like she has lived her life being a doormat where men are concerned and it's made her super bitter. Her bitterness manifests as hilarity because she spies on her stepfather who she thinks is cheating on her mom. And all because she just can't trust men.

Then enters Royce who is just intimidating to Naomi, but she kno
K.R.Caldwell

3 stars! Let me just start out by saying I love Gena Showalter. I like her paranormal stuff better though. So this entire book was written in first person, which I’m not totally a fan of. It always ends up being very one sided. We never really get an insight to Royce. Who he is, how he feels, etc… It was just, oh I want to hire this woman to plan a party, and then BAM I’m in love with her, always have been since the day I laid eyes on her. I was kind of like, ‘OK, when was that?’ (This is the o

Melanie Tikalsky
This books is a hoot. I don't think that I have laughed so hard while reading a book ever! The comedic timing in this book is spot on. The romance story is believable and fun. The main characters are funny and loveable, I had to know how the story ended. I couldn't put this book down.

I'm not quite sure how I missed this book before because I have read everything of Gena Showalter's over the years but I am so glad that I found it. While it is one of her earlier books and there is nothing paranorm
Yukino

10^ LETTURA DI GRUPPO "EDICOLA & LIBRERIA"

questo libro non è per intenditori. personaggi senza troppo spessore e che non si prendono troppo sul serio. la storia niente di nuovo e sconvolegente: lei divorziata non vuole più avere a che fare con gli uomini fino a che arriva lui, bello ricco e innamorato di lei che le sconvolge la vita.

il tutto però sotto chiave ironica..vi giuro che in alcuni punti avevo i lacrimoni per il troppo ridere.

romantico e divertente..con situazioni un pò assurde.
mi h
Jessica Gomez
This book was Hilarious!

I felt like Naomi's personality was so close to my own, the sarcastic nature, that it had me laughing at every page turn.

The Tigress is something every women should get to know. Because it is in every one of us! Sometimes it just really bad things that brings it out in us.

This book wasnt your traditional boy meets girl, they fall in love, and the rest is history. Well, okay, it is a little bit. But I liked all the sarcastic bantering that happened with all the charaters.
Kathleen
Well I'm smitten!Gena Showalter sure knows how to write a perfectly druel-worthy Alpha male.
I'm in love with you Royce!I things don't work out with Naomi I'm VERY Available.(sigh)
I couldn't put this down. Animal Instincts had me laughing outloud in the library and earnt me a few weird looks.Naomi's resistance and wariness towards Royce was understandable and she had me nodding my head in agreement with the repercusions that comes when someones trust and self-esteem is destroyed by cheating. If y
Stephanie
Funny. Cute. A little sexy. Adorable man who is into the heroine and not afraid to show it. Just the chick lit pick me up I needed between heavier fare.
Gena Showalter Fans: Animal Instincts 1 3 Jul 23, 2012 12:37PM
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • The Price of Pleasure (Sutherland Brothers, #2)
  • Bewitched, Bothered & BeVampyred
  • Darkness Divine
  • Improper English
  • You Don't Know Jack (NY Girlfriends, #2)
  • Aussie Rules
  • Deep, Dark and Dangerous (Vikings Underground, #4)
  • Tall, Dark, and Cajun (Cajun, #2)
  • Code Name: Blondie (SEAL and Code Name, #8)
  • Confessions of a Slightly Neurotic Hitwoman
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3) The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5)

“Ten Things You Shouldn't Say on a Date.
1. You're wearing that?
2. Something smells funny.
3. Where's the Tylenol?
4. And to think, I first wanted to date your brother.
5. I have a confession to make…
6. My dad has a suit just like that.
7. That man is hot. Look at him.
8. My ex, may he rot in hell forever…
9. You're going to order that? Seriously?
10. You're how old?”
1485 likes
“Leap out the window, my inner Tigress cried. You aren't ready to face such a powerful Tiger. I frowned. I thought a true Tigress never backed down from a fight. Don't you know anything? When she's in heat, she avoids everything male. Now run!” 77 likes