Start by marking “Animal Instincts” as Want to Read:
Animal Instincts

Animal Instincts

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,765 Ratings  ·  147 Reviews
Published April 1st 2007 by Harlequin Books (first published May 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Animal Instincts, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Animal Instincts

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaBet Me by Jennifer CrusieWallbanger by Alice ClaytonMatch Me If You Can by Susan Elizabeth PhillipsNatural Born Charmer by Susan Elizabeth Phillips
Humorous Romance Books
164th out of 2,382 books — 5,432 voters
Catching Fire by Suzanne CollinsFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyFire by Kristin CashoreFantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by J.K. RowlingGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss
Seeing Red
274th out of 1,317 books — 350 voters

More lists with this book...

Suzanne (Under the Covers Book blog)
After a very bad marriage in which her husband constantly cheated on her Naomi Delacroix is determined to stop being such a doormat and let her inner Tigress out to play. If this means unleashing her Tigress on the too-sexy Royce Powell then so be it, the only problem being is that he seems to make her inner Tigress purr...

I had a grin going the entire time I read this book, it may have made me look slightly insane and maybe scared small children, but I was too involved reading the book to reall
Brenda
Jul 23, 2015 Brenda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

OH MY GOODNESS

Perfection. Funny, hot and lovely :)
HE IS PERFECT.
SHE IS AWESOME.

Ok, I can't even describe how much I recognize myself in her. Don't get angry at her, she's afraid, I'd do the same SHE DID. I understand her. I TRULLY UNDERSTAND HER. All her fears are mine! Her life is my life. Like forreal. I'm afraid of relationships, like her BC every single man I knew was a bastard, like her. And she has a point. I mean, NO ONE can say that their love is forever. NO ONE. People change and love
Caroline Yamashita
POR UM MUNDO COM MAIS ROYCE POWELL!!!
Então, ele a viu em um casamento há 6 meses. E desde então a procurou, ligou, tentou de tudo para se encontrar com ela e nada!
Então, quem mais poderia organizar o aniversário da mãe dele???? SIMMMMMM, Naomi Delacroix!
Ela é uma divorciada, que foi traída, humilhada e não quer saber de compromisso tão cedo. Alias nem de homem ela quer chegar perto! Não, até entrar na sala dele!!!
Ele faz de TUDOOOOOO para ter Naomi, inclusive desafiar o medo dela!!!
O livro é hil
L8blmr
Dec 17, 2008 L8blmr rated it really liked it
This was a fun, light and sexy read, featuring a rich, hot hero pursuing a divorced, insecure career girl. Not much new or original, but enjoyable in the way it was constructed, and no stupid misunderstandings (always a plus for me). This story is told in first person, which may be an imediate turn-off for some, but I found it tolerable. If you need a spicy break from heavier fare, give this romance with a sweet HEA a try.
Anzu The Great Destroyer
I must admit that this is my first Gena Showalter book. I really don’t know what made me pick this one, but I was glad I did. It was really fun to read, relaxing and fast. I guess I finished it in two days. But it was like a breath of fresh air. Too much seriousness gets to you in the end.

Now, I really liked the story. It was light but the best part of it was the humor. I really enjoyed the whole Tigress thing. I gathered some quotes that I thought hilarious, but there were too many so I had to
Elisa Rolle
Naomi is a newly divorced event planner who has decided to unveal her inner tiger. She is tired to be used by men and now her life will be different... but then she meets Royce, a multimillionar hunk who says he loves her and wants to marry her. What a bastard, isn't he?

Royce is the perfect man: rich, handsome, gentle, clever... you really can hate him, too perfect!

Naomi instead is not so perfect: average beautiful, no a success working girl, not very rich... you really can hate her, too imper
Donnelle
May 02, 2010 Donnelle rated it really liked it
I won't go into plot details, as they've been covered very well by previous reviews. Instead, I'm going to focus more on Showalter's writing, because she consistently delivers books that are an absolute blast to read.

Untold numbers of writers, particularly in this genre, attempt to create heroes and heroines that are chock full of sarcasm and witty banter. Unfortunately, most of their efforts feel forced and fall flat. Showalter, on the other hand, has a gift for delivering truly funny and clev
Ale Rivero
Iba con muchas expectativas sobre esta historia, por eso creo que al final no me conquistó del todo a pesar de que me haya gustado bastante.
La historia de Naomi y Royce es entretenida, aunque Royce me sacaba bastante de mis casillas con sus actitudes. Al final, el amor siempre termina transformando a los personas, aunque hay que poner bastante de uno mismo. Entretenida.
Ria Lize
May 13, 2014 Ria Lize rated it liked it
3.25/5

I'm a sucker for books with the shy, clueless heroine and the relentless hot guy. For the most part, I like the whole resistance and denial, him working to earn her trust. Sometimes the heroine can be wrapped up in her own thoughts for too long, how she's hurt, or she's just not good enough, so the hero breaking those notions can be so much fun.

-In Animal Instincts, it worked, and it didn't. It worked because Naomi did soften up to him, and eventually she learned to trust. Her refusing his
May
Jun 10, 2010 May rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: nobody. It's a guilty pleasure read, I couldn't guess who would/wouldn't be loving it...
Know how sometimes you read a book and think "oh, there was so much I should fault here... yet I totally loved it."? I call this a guilty pleasure read, and Animal Instincts totally qualifies.
The heroine is a plain jane doormat turned "tigress", the hero a very rich handsome man. She goes to work for him (she plans parties) only to find out he's already totally smitten with her and it scares her. Why? She had a yuck dad + jerk ex-husband.
Now, I feel like I could truly rip this sucker to shreds,
Crista
May 19, 2010 Crista rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2-star, contemporary
This one had some promising aspects. I was laughing out loud during this first part of this book, but then all of a sudden it just became to "over the top" and unrealistic for me to even be able to suspend belief for a moment...which is funny because this a romance novel!

Here's what I disliked:
1. I don't prefer to read books written in the first person. These kind of books usually leave out to much of what others are thinking. This book is a perfect example of just that.
2. I don't like books
Liza
Apr 19, 2011 Liza rated it liked it
I must wrote this here because it's so funny, it's about Royce's parents.. I really did LOL at this and I sooo like the writing of Gena Showalter! :)

"I've never met two people more in need of a divorce. They bickered and fought all evening.
Royce said that's how they express their love. I don't believe him. I mean, please. You tell me if you feel
the love from this conversation (written word for word as I remember it):

Linda: Elliot, be a dear and get me another drink.
Elliot: Get it yourself.
Linda:
Jen
Sep 19, 2008 Jen rated it did not like it
Ugh. This author could really do interesting things if only she could get a little depth into her heroes. They're so one-dimensional. Do all her books have a slightly damaged woman getting bossed around by sexy man until she falls for him? Do they all have to end with marriage and babies? It just seems so forced.
If you're a single or divorced self-help-book lover who is convinced all men are evil but really deep down inside just wants a white horse and a walk down the aisle with lots of babies
Robin
Oct 03, 2015 Robin rated it it was amazing
Naomi has been burned by a cheating husband, and now that she's divorced she's determined to never trust another man. No dating, no falling in love, and definitely no getting married again. Royce saw Naomi across the room at an event she planned for his friend's sister, and six months later he still can't get her off his mind. He arranges for his mother to contact her to plan her “surprise” birthday party, and from the minute he gets her into his life he's determined to keep her there permanentl ...more
Ladywolf.
Da zerbino a tigre (a letto)

Da poco divorziata e decisa a non riaprire il suo cuore all’amore, l’organizzatrice di eventi Naomi Delacroix sta cercando di tirare fuori la sua tigre interiore. Decisa a non farsi più mettere i piedi in testa da nessuno, incontrerà il suo prossimo cliente, il bello e carismatico Royce Powell, ma la sua ineguagliabile “fortuna” le metterà i bastoni tra le ruote, persino in questioni d’amore. Infatti, Royce si dimostrerà fin da subito interessato a lei, persino con in
Diana
Feb 16, 2008 Diana rated it it was amazing
Hired to plan Royce's mother's birthday party, Naomi is unaware that he's been in love with her for six months. However much she is attracted to him, Naomi is scarred by a cheating ex-husband and nasty divorce and is afraid of committing again.

Fascinating. A real departure for Showalter with a contemporary romance with no paranormal aspects. Royce is at first a little overbearing but is perfectly romantic. Naomi is a little less likeable with her trust issues that almost destroy their relationsh
Amafle
May 02, 2013 Amafle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hace muchos días un libro con tintes eróticos no me hacía pasar un rato tan agradable.

Es una historia divertida, sexy, pasional, romántica, tierna. Naomi es una mujer tan real que me hizo verla en varias de mis amigas, sus miedos, sus fortalezas, su voz interior y esa manera de hablar con ella misma hicieron de este libro una maravilla. Pero lo mejor, lo mejor de todo fue Royce este caballero entra a mi lista de chicos que amo en la literatura.

Me gusto mucho.
tsukino
Jun 14, 2015 tsukino rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, rosa
Carino!
Va preso per quello che è, situazioni inverosimili, etc, comprese.
Voglio dire, certo che è assurdo che lui sia innamorato perso di una, dopo averla vista da lontano sei mesi prima e, mezz’ora dopo averla effettivamente conosciuta, le chieda di sposarlo.
Ma tant’è, se voglio vedere la realtà grigia e triste, mi basta aprire la finestra e guardare fuori.
Per cui ben vengano libri come questo, il cui scopo è, semplicemente, quello di farti sognare e passare qualche ora divertente (ah, potessi
Kathrynn
Dec 26, 2007 Kathrynn rated it it was amazing
I read this sometime in 2006 and it is NOT a paranormal book. Strictly romance. There are no twists or turns, no suspense and no action, but I enjoyed it. Sometimes, just what we need to read for a chance of pace.

Naomi (recently divorce and a party planner) is courted by Royce (CEO of aeronatuical company).

Candice
May 25, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this one! It had plenty of humor & that's the biggest reason I enjoyed it so much. I loved Royce, the hero, but I got fed up with Naomi's issues by the end of it all. Ms. Showalter definitely knows how to write a good one though. She's always entertaining.
The Pleasures Chest
Jan 07, 2010 The Pleasures Chest rated it it was amazing
Description:

Unleashing your inner tigress isn't easy when you're a doormat by nature! Still, after escaping a wretched marriage to a cheating SOB, Dallas party planner Naomi Delacroix isn't about to let another man sweet-talk her into sheathing her protective claws. Not even hunky millionaire Royce Powell, who's hired her to arrange his mother's surprise party. Even if he does make her purr like a kitten with one heated glance... Royce claims he's been in love with her ever since she threw a par
Manuela
Feb 20, 2011 Manuela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cvl, contemporaneo
Mi è difficile esprimere un giudizio chiaro e definitivo su questo romanzo. Un 50 % di cose mi sono piaciute, ma un altrettanto 50 % mi ha fatto storcere il naso.
Il pretesto iniziale, le domande per sposare Royce per intenderci, l'ho trovato francamente demenziale, al limite del ridicolo; le schermaglie dialettiche e mentali tra i due protagonisti sono ben scritte, con uno stile fresco e diretto che diverte e non annoia mai, ma in generale l'intero intreccio, lo svolgersi della trama e i passag
Serena
Oct 08, 2012 Serena rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TRAMA: Una vera tigre sa come mettersi in mostra. Avanza a testa alta, con il petto in fuori e l'aria di voler dire: "Ti mangerò vivo"
Naomi invece sa che liberare la tigre che è in lei non sarà facile quando per natura è più portata a fare da zerbino. Cosa può inventarsi allora una ragazza timida e delusa dal sesso maschile per recuperare i suoi istinti primordiali? La sua identità più remota, più sottilmente sexy, in una parola: il suo istinto animale? Naomi è infatti poco propensa a lasciarsi
Tracy
Loved the First Half, The Second...Not So Much
I was looking for a light, fun, romantic read - taking a break, actually, from a book that defines heavy reading. Of course I went to Showalter - she's usually a sure fire gem in that arena. And in Animal Instincts, she was as well...for the first half of the book.

Naomi, burned first by the biological father who did her mom wrong then again by her own husband, sees love and marriage as the most insidious sorts of traps and thinks all men are utter sn
Ariel
Io lo dico: io e la Showalter siamo partite bene. Non ho mai letto nulla di suo e già mi piaceva troppo per non iniziare tutte quante le serie che aveva scritto. Quindi mi sono detta Dai, inizio con un autoconclusivo per capire un po' con chi ho a che fare.

Ho un bel po' di cose da dire su questo libro. Molte cose mi sono piaciute, altre no. Le divido in una lista, così magari la recensione sembra lunga, ehehhe.

Cose che mi sono piaciute:
- Le gemelle. Mel e Kera sono le mie ragazze, le protagonist
liz
May 06, 2007 liz rated it liked it
You know the drill, feisty woman falls for the "wrong man"... in this case it's actually a contemporary setting (Dallas), with the protagonist steadfastly refusing to learn to trust men again after her divorce from her asshole ex-husband. This also involves trying to fight her relenteless attraction to a sexy local captain of industry, whose mother's surprise party she's trying to plan. The plot moves forward in spite of stubborn characters who are mostly amusing. And can I just say, I've never ...more
Baylee
Mar 14, 2015 Baylee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Questo romanzo è in perfetto stile Showalter: via le c*****e serie, fate largo a tanto sano divertimento. Quindi non aspettatevi approfondimento psicologico, personaggi di spessore, riflessioni sui massimi sistemi della vita. Qui si ride, gente. E tanto!

Naomi è una donna tanto delusa dagli uomini che potrebbe fare la promoter della castrazione chimica maschile. Ben decisa a non dare mai più credito all'altro sesso, è costretta a rivedere alcune delle sue priorità dopo l'incontro con il bel milia
Ella
Aug 09, 2013 Ella rated it really liked it
Gena Showalter est une nouvelle découverte et je compte bien lire d'autre de ses livres. J'ai commencé avec "Catch a mate", et je n'avais pas très envie de quelque chose de paranormal tout de suite donc j'ai opté pour le seul de ses autres livres que j'ai trouvé qui était une comédie romantique.
Honnêtement, "animal instincts" c'est un petit bijou. Mais j'aurais du attendre un peu pour le lire car juste après "catch a mate" forcement, j'ai vu les ressemblances et j'ai comparés les deux livres....
Akhila paul
Aug 22, 2014 Akhila paul rated it it was amazing
I loved this book couldn't stop laughing. The character are utterly hilarious. I mean really how many book do u find a man trying to make a women accept a marriage . I loved the part in which Royce refused to sleep with Noami until she married or started a relationship with him & how Noami plans to seduce him into bet. Really if u like romantic comedy this a book u must read.
Tiffany Borys
Feb 19, 2015 Tiffany Borys rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: People who enjoy contemporary romance
Gena Showalter Fans: Animal Instincts 1 4 Jul 23, 2012 12:37PM
  • The Bodyguard (Includes: T-FLAC, #14.5)
  • Mysteria Lane (Mysteria #2)
  • The Price of Pleasure (Sutherland Brothers, #2)
  • Mysteria Nights (Mysteria)
  • Blow Me Down
  • The Switch
  • Heiress for Hire (Cuttersville, #2)
  • Bewitched Bothered & Bevampyred
  • Deep, Dark & Dangerous (Vikings Underground, #4)
  • Code Name: Bikini (SEAL and Code Name, #9)
  • Personal Assets
  • Breakfast in Bed (Domestic Gods, #3)
  • Aussie Rules
  • Kiss a Falling Star
  • Snowbound
  • Daemon's Angel
  • Double Fantasy
  • Bewitched, Bothered & Bevampyred 2: Fangs Again
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

“Ten Things You Shouldn't Say on a Date.
1. You're wearing that?
2. Something smells funny.
3. Where's the Tylenol?
4. And to think, I first wanted to date your brother.
5. I have a confession to make…
6. My dad has a suit just like that.
7. That man is hot. Look at him.
8. My ex, may he rot in hell forever…
9. You're going to order that? Seriously?
10. You're how old?”
1567 likes
“Leap out the window, my inner Tigress cried. You aren't ready to face such a powerful Tiger. I frowned. I thought a true Tigress never backed down from a fight. Don't you know anything? When she's in heat, she avoids everything male. Now run!” 77 likes