Start by marking “Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1)” as Want to Read:
Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress, #1)

Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress #1)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  7,818 ratings  ·  399 reviews
RIDDING THE WORLD OF EVIL, ONE ALIEN AT A TIME: THAT'S MIA SNOW'S MISSION.

Snow is in the forecast.

In a time and place not too far away, Mia Snow is an alien huntress for the New Chicago Police Department. Heading up her expert team of Alien Investigation and Removal agents, Mia's unmatched at battling the elusive enemy among us, and she's the perfect girl for the job.

Published March 1st 2006 by Downtown Press (first published May 10th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Awaken Me Darkly, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Dark Lover by J.R. WardTwilight by Stephenie MeyerHalfway to the Grave by Jeaniene FrostDead Until Dark by Charlaine HarrisDarkfever by Karen Marie Moning
Best Paranormal Romance Series
118th out of 951 books — 9,821 voters
Twilight by Stephenie MeyerDark Lover by J.R. WardVampire Academy by Richelle MeadCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareThe Host by Stephenie Meyer
Best Paranormal & Fantasy Romances
98th out of 3,227 books — 6,630 voters

More lists with this book...

Anzu The Great Destroyer
Hmmmmmm look at what I’m reading… Ignore the stupid title and clichéd series name. And the perverted cover. Geez there are lots of things that would make a person avoid reading this. I’m not sure why I picked it. Oh wait.

Muahahaha I couldn’t help myself!

Well well… What can I say about this Awaken Me Darkly? It’s mostly typical UF to my entire disappointment. I like a good UF as any cool and important person but my dear Huntress of Aliens is not the most special kid in class. The story is mediocr
Carmen
Aug 07, 2014 Carmen rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Absolutely no one ever
Shelves: fiction, romance
REASONS I DON'T LIKE THIS BOOK:
1.) FEMINISM DOES NOT EQUAL MAN-HATING. Okay, so the main character is just going around, talking about castrating men, forcing steel pipes down their throats (o.O), ripping out their voice boxes, kicking men in the balls, and saying stuff like,
A tide of anticipation was already rushing through me at the thought of putting these men in their places - at my feet.

Um...NO.

One of the men had actually pulled my hair and scratched my cheek, like a sissy girl who ha
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads)
I wasn't at all sure what to think of this storyline, since the alien bounty hunter plot seems very different, but I ended up liking it very much. My first read by Gena Showalter was The Nymph King, which I absolutely loved. From that point on, I have been reading her books. This is very different. Early on in her paranormal romance-writing career, Gena Showalter seemed to focus on writing lighter paranormal. The Alien Huntress series is a big departure from that, at least in my opinion. If I co ...more
Laura the Highland Hussy
Mia is a hard-ass A.I.R. agent who never lets anything stand in her way, but from the first time she lays eyes on arcadian Kyrin, she can't get him out of her head. But when her partner Dallas is hurt and near death, Kyrin can save him...for a price. He wants his sister Lilla released from the A.I.R. holding cell, then he'll save Dallas. Mia tries to set him up, but he captures her and they get to know each other. I love the way the ending leaves a happily ever after, but also there's enough lee ...more
Kathy Davie
First in the Alien Huntress paranormal romance series. It will definitely be my last in this series.

The Story
Mia Snow has been called out to a homicide. A man, William Steele, has been found nude in a dicey neighborhood and it's only luck that Mia and Dallas each find a clue that narrows the list of suspects down. All on that list are aliens, which confirms that their unit, AIR, is in charge.

The team members of AIR are hoping this isn't a serial killer as Steele is the fifth man who's been snatc
Kaleigha
I was never that interested in reading the Alien Huntress series, for some reason. But, when I got into the latest book, Seduce the Darkness, I got into the storyline and decided to go back and start from the beginning. That lead me to Awaken Me Darkly.

Mia Snow is not just an agent for A.I.R, she is THE agent for A.I.R. The toughest, the smartest, the most lethal. Ever since he beloved brother was killed by a group of predatory Aliens, Mia has devoted her life to the destruction of the Alien inv
valee

I have been saving this series for a long, long time, not because I thought it would be amazing and I wanted to save it for later but because it was the last series I had yet to read from this outstanding author. I knew I wouldn't be as attached to it as her LOTU series but I still knew I would like it big time because I adore how she writes. Well, I am glad to say I even liked it much more than what I thought I would after reading most of the reviews out there.

I never thought aliens co
Suzanne the Mighty (Under the Covers Book blog)
3.5 Stars

Mia Snow is a Huntress, she hunts down aliens who have commited violent crimes on humans and executes them, and her most recent case, where a man shows up dead and posed in a seedy alley is no different, she hs to find the alien responsible and execute them. Only things aren't quite what they seem, espcially with a certain handsome but deadly alien, and the case soon becomes really personal.

I think this book starts of really well, she sets up an interesting futuristic world where aliens
Ronda  Tutt
This story was an ok read for me, I give it 3 stars because the story was more like a cop and murder kind of thing. I felt like I was watching the SVU (Special Victums Unit) on TV where the detective figures out the case and either kills the murder or puts him in jail.

Kyrin the alien and Mia the half alien romance was more of a lust kind of thing and so it was ok for me but not thrilling. I didn't get any kind of thrill for this book or emotion.

If a book brings out some kind of emotion in me li
Zeek
Ended up liking this one. I wasn’t sure because I usually hate “bitchy” heroines- and Mia is that. But, to Showalter’s credit, she never got on my nerves. It’s the world building that makes this story, however, which I cant say about a lot of “PNR” (paranormal romance.)

Aliens are in this world (future earth from what I can tell) and Mia Snow is in charge of a team for the A.I.R. unit of the New Chicago Police Department. (A.I.R. standing for Alien Investigation and Removal.) During an alien rel
Neyra ♦
Actual rating: 1.5

The city is Chicago, the time: the distant future (it was never specified). A series of killings has erupted, and A.I.R is on the case. I know sounds silly, right? :P

Awaken me Darkly begins the Alien Huntress series with Alien Investigation and Removal agent, Mia Snow. She is an expert when dealing with "other-worlders", and as a series of killings unfold in Chicago, Mia and her team must track the killer before it is too late. But as they begin their trail in finding a suspe
Meagan
Jennifer (a.k.a The Book Nympho)
Originally posted at The Book Nympho

SciFisexy1Well-Written

First Impression: Smoking sex with a hot alien. Win!

The Narration:Justine Eyrenarration of Awaken Me Darkly is equal parts lulling and sex phone operator. She has a silky deep voice that works well for both the female and male characters. It's hard for a female narrator to pull the male voices off well sometimes but Eyre does a great job and she still manages to make the females sound light and feminine.

What I liked: Showalter does a great job at setting up t

Catherine
After reading the third and fourth books in this series, Savor Me Slowly and Seduce The Darkness, I decided to go back and read the earlier books to catch up on the other characters. I guess I had a different set of expectations after starting the series where I did. One of the biggest disappointments was that it was in first person. That was really jarring after reading a few of the other books in third person. It's just really odd to read a series and have one book be in first person and other ...more
Hollie
DNF at 40% - Way too much emphasis on the heroine being all that.......... it seemed to take away from story development and character depth. At least on every page something was said about how badass our little Alien Huntress was. I could not stand this character for even another chapter. The arrogance was not only appalling but ridiculous. I lost interest. Fast. Not a series I will continue.
Hbeebti
This was a fast paced , kick butt book. I was a little nervous since I am not a huge fan of alien books. But I love Gena Showalter and so I figured I would give it a chance. I am glad I did. I look forward to the next book and hope that some of the other characters will be in it. Kinda fond of some of them. Want more Dallas and Jaxon.
AvidReader47
Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous! Gena Showalter never fails to deliver. Onto the bookstore to get the 2nd book in this series...enough said.
 ~*~Princess Nhya~*~
Really liked this book. Loved Kyrin, the story, the plot. well written. Mia is my girl! I kinda teared up towards the end.
Amanda
I've been in a bit of a reading funk lately and haven't really enjoyed most of the books I've read. Fortunately, Awaken Me Slowly was just what I needed to break out of it. I loved it so much that I've already bought the next four books in the series! Mia Snow is a perfect strong heroine - smart, sexy, and tough, with a real reason behind her attitude instead of just barely-deserved cockiness. Kyrin, the male protagonist, is strong yet caring, making him very endearing. I also loved the concept ...more
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
Awaken Me Darkly is set in the future when different species of aliens are openly living amongst humans. Mia is part of a law enforcement group that specifically deal with alien-related crime. She hunts down the criminals and if she finds them guilty, they are executed. There is no trial.

Mia is a no-nonsense kick-ass alien hunter, she's had a tough life growing up. Her mother left after she was born, her two brothers were murdered and her father stopped loving her and turned abusive when her fir
Karissa
This is the first book in the Alien Huntress series by Gena Showalter. I really liked her book "Playing with Fire". I was a bit leery about this book because...well...it's called "Awaken me Darkly" and it has a scantily clad woman in a black corset on the cover; it kind of screamed romance to me. Well, it is not a romance. It is a tightly packed paranormal crime novel, with back to back action scenes and a sex scene thrown in for good measure.

Mia Snow is part of AIR, Alien Investigation and Remo
Jenny Rebecca
I've read the entire Alien Huntress series, but somehow I missed the very first one. I picked this one up yesterday. The first thing I noticed was that the two main characters didn't even meet until page 100 or so, and then it was another 25 pages until they even had any real contact!
This is more a story kind of a story than a romance novel. I never felt like I got to know Kyrin, and even when he was around there didn't seem to be tons of chemistry between them either. Plus this book really onl
Rhomy
3.5 - 4 stars
The book was action packed, the intrigues and mysteries were amazing.
Sometimes the pace was perfect but at others it felt a bit slow.
I didn't understand where the infatuation with each other came at first, but at the end I understood. (at least from Kyrin's side).

I was pleasantly surprised with the truth about Atlanna and the outcome in general.

The worst thing, since it was an audiobook, definitely was the woman reading it. OMG! It was unbearable. I was wishing for it to be over.

Fu
Jess
This was interesting. I saw it in the library and picked it up when I saw the author. I didn't really read the description and then realized that it was actually about aliens. This book was definitely different than the other books she has written and I originally thought it was going to be bad. I'm not a big fan of alien stories. But I was pleasantly surprised. It turned out to be a fast paced story that involved a task force that has the job of hunting and killing the "evil" aliens.

I would de
Leanne Crabtree
Hmm...

Well I loved this at the beginning. Mia was kick-arse, as were the rest of her team. I was interested in what was going on with the murders and finding out who was behind it...

I also loved the little glimpses we got at the start of Kyrin. He sounded equally seductive and bad-arse--which is a great combination.

I can't say I understood Mia's need to attack him all the time...but I guess she has some anger issues regarding aliens.

The murder plot became less interesting throughout the book as
Anne
I thought this was a pretty cool sci-fi book that definitely kept me turning the pages, but I didn't really enjoy the romance between Kyrin and Mia. It also ended rather abruptly, and I would have liked to see a little more resolution to some of the issues. I'm guessing there will be another book that focuses on Mia in Showalters' Alien Huntress series?
Aly is so frigging bored
JUN: Who do you think you are?

Theoretically this should have been a buddy read :D It's just Gena Showalter writes such a compelling book that i literally couldn't put it down!

It has loads of action, kick ass hero and heroine, sensuality, murder :>, a mystery... in other words: read it! ASAP!
(Kelly)~Got Fiction?~ Oakes
I am so enjoying this series. It reminds me of the Anita Blake Vampire series.
I love it when there's a woman kicking ass and taking names.
This story doesn't disappoint.

A great read.
Maya
Excellently entertaining book. Aliens, violence and a tiny dash of romance.
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Gena Showalter’s “Awaken Me Darkly” is the first in her Alien Huntress series. I am a huge fan of Showalter’s Lords of the Underworld Series and I couldn’t wait to see how these books measure up.

The story centers on Mia Snow, a delicate looking, tough as nails agent for the Alien Investigation and Removal Agency. Aliens live on Earth and have for 70 years. Many are friendly, but the AIR protects humans from those who are not.

Mia is trying to solve a string of murders perpetrated by an alien, whi
The Lost Challenges: [May] 'Awaken Me Darkly' 1st in Series Group Read BOM Discussion <SPOILER> 5 14 May 27, 2013 10:00AM
Gena Showalter Fans: Awaken Me Darkly (Alien Huntress #1) 8 46 Jan 13, 2013 05:56PM
compared to LotU? 8 33 Jan 27, 2012 08:56AM
compared to LotU? 1 10 Nov 01, 2011 03:55PM
  • Deep Kiss Of Winter (Includes: Immortals After Dark, #8; Alien Huntress, #4.5)
  • Lord of Rage (Royal House of Shadows, #2)
  • Seduce Me in Dreams (A Three Worlds Novel, #1)
  • Lord of the Abyss (Royal House of Shadows, #4)
  • Moonstruck (Borderlands, #1)
  • Mysteria (Mysteria, #1)
  • Born of Shadows (The League, #4)
  • Eternal Rider (Lords of Deliverance, #1, Demonica, #6)
  • The Warrior Prince (Dragon Lords #4)
  • Demon Slave (Shadow Quest, #2)
  • Skin Game (Skin, #1)
  • Nightkeepers (Nightkeepers, #1)
  • Dark Need (Darkyn, #3)
Gena Showalter is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of over thirty books in paranormal and contemporary romances, as well as young adult novels. Her series include White Rabbit Chronicles, Angels of the Dark, Otherworld Assassins, Lords of the Underworld, Alien Huntress and Intertwined.

Her novels have appeared in Cosmopolitan Magazine, and Seventeen Magazine, and have been transl
More about Gena Showalter...

Alien Huntress (6 books)
  • Enslave Me Sweetly (Alien Huntress, #2)
  • Savor Me Slowly (Alien Huntress, #3)
  • Seduce the Darkness (Alien Huntress, #4)
  • Ecstasy in Darkness (Alien Huntress, #5)
  • Dark Taste of Rapture (Alien Huntress, #6)
The Darkest Night (Lords of the Underworld, #1) The Darkest Kiss (Lords of the Underworld, #2) The Darkest Pleasure (Lords of the Underworld #3) The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) The Darkest Passion (Lords of the Underworld, #5)

“My brother-

"Fuck your brother." I squeezed the trigger.”
22 likes