Start by marking “Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year: A Guide to Health and Comfort Before and After Your Baby Is Born” as Want to Read:

Exercise programs designed to ease the burdens of pregnancy on the average, underexercised woman.
Published September 1st 1995 by New Life Images (first published 1976)

To ask other readers questions about Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year

Crystal
May 18, 2009 Crystal rated it it was amazing
WOW! This book has moved up to #1 spot for books that every woman even considering having a baby MUST read. I'm more than 1/2 way through my pregnancy and I found this book to be insightful, empowering, and educational. Not only was it helpful to see which exercises can harm different muscle groups (Never do a double-leg raise) but it was clear that the author, with 30+ years of experience as a physical therapist helping pregnant woman, is very supportive of the best way for a woman to give birt ...more
Susan
Jun 24, 2010 Susan rated it it was amazing
I find this book invaluable. These are things that a medical doctor will never take the time to teach you and yet it can increase the chances of a safe, healthy birth experience for the mother as well as the child. I especially appreciate the many ways she describes how you can help avoid the need for an episiotomy. She also goes over the best positions to push in, which are not the same positions that the nurses at a hospital will put you in!

One word of warning before you read this book: the a
Gwen
Feb 19, 2011 Gwen rated it it was amazing
This book should be on everyone's pregnancy reading list. If you are pregnant or have recently had a baby, the abdominal chapter alone is worth it. Ever wonder why you still have a pouch even though you exercised and did your crunches??

My only regret is that I didn't discover this book until my second pregnancy!
Jenny
Mar 21, 2008 Jenny rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: every woman of childbearing age
I really like this book. I think I should be handed out with pregnancy tests at doctors offices. The book is by a phsyical therapist and she includes exercises for before, during and after pregnancy.

She talks about pregnancy pains and how to minimize SI pains and all the other pains most people just say 'sucks to be you' about. I wish I had this book two pregnancies ago!
Danielle Rich
Aug 23, 2012 Danielle Rich rated it really liked it
I liked this book and its got good information and partners exercise that i thought were cool.
Shelley White-corey
Jun 05, 2012 Shelley White-corey rated it it was amazing
This has been my bible to help train women for birth, as well as help rehabilitate abs and pelvic floor following birth.
Reuel
Feb 26, 2008 Reuel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very helpful to stay in good physical condition throughout pregnancy.
Malea
Jul 23, 2011 Malea rated it really liked it
This book is such a great resource for any woman. It outlines the importance of exercise and has drawings of each exercise to make it easy to follow along.
AlbanyReads
AlbanyReads rated it it was amazing
Sep 15, 2014
Jenna Krueger
Jenna Krueger rated it it was amazing
Apr 01, 2016
Pamela
Pamela rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2007
Sophie
Sophie rated it it was amazing
Aug 05, 2014
Katherine Anne Reid
Katherine Anne Reid rated it really liked it
Aug 24, 2015
Trina Abuan
Trina Abuan rated it it was amazing
Nov 13, 2014
Meegan
Meegan rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2009
Christine Tally
Christine Tally rated it it was ok
Jan 20, 2012
Emily
Emily rated it really liked it
Jul 09, 2011
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Dec 27, 2012
Jacque
Jacque rated it it was amazing
May 26, 2009
D Fleischman
D Fleischman rated it it was amazing
Sep 29, 2012
Stephanie
Stephanie rated it it was ok
Aug 14, 2012
Jena
Jena rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2010
Linda Ethier
Linda Ethier rated it it was amazing
Dec 29, 2012
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it it was amazing
Apr 19, 2016
Bobbe
Bobbe rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2014
Julianne Brandt
Julianne Brandt rated it it was ok
Mar 02, 2016
arize au
arize au rated it it was ok
Nov 14, 2014
Bridget
Bridget rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2013
Beth Anne
Beth Anne rated it it was amazing
Dec 14, 2012
Diana Rocha
Diana Rocha rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2013
Elizabeth Noble was born and raised in Australia, where she completed studies in physiotherapy, philosophy, and anthropology. She was an American Field Service Exchange Student to Tucson, AZ in 1961.

In 1973 after living abroad, she returned to the USA and founded the Section on Women's Health of the American Physical Therapy Association.

Her first book was Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Y
More about Elizabeth Noble...