Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Year: A Guide to Health and Comfort Before and After Your Baby Is Born

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  31 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Exercise programs designed to ease the burdens of pregnancy on the average, underexercised woman.
Published September 1st 1995 by New Life Images (first published 1976)

Crystal
WOW! This book has moved up to #1 spot for books that every woman even considering having a baby MUST read. I'm more than 1/2 way through my pregnancy and I found this book to be insightful, empowering, and educational. Not only was it helpful to see which exercises can harm different muscle groups (Never do a double-leg raise) but it was clear that the author, with 30+ years of experience as a physical therapist helping pregnant woman, is very supportive of the best way for a woman to give birt...more
Susan
I find this book invaluable. These are things that a medical doctor will never take the time to teach you and yet it can increase the chances of a safe, healthy birth experience for the mother as well as the child. I especially appreciate the many ways she describes how you can help avoid the need for an episiotomy. She also goes over the best positions to push in, which are not the same positions that the nurses at a hospital will put you in!

One word of warning before you read this book: the a...more
Jenny
Mar 21, 2008 Jenny rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: every woman of childbearing age
I really like this book. I think I should be handed out with pregnancy tests at doctors offices. The book is by a phsyical therapist and she includes exercises for before, during and after pregnancy.

She talks about pregnancy pains and how to minimize SI pains and all the other pains most people just say 'sucks to be you' about. I wish I had this book two pregnancies ago!
Gwen
This book should be on everyone's pregnancy reading list. If you are pregnant or have recently had a baby, the abdominal chapter alone is worth it. Ever wonder why you still have a pouch even though you exercised and did your crunches??

My only regret is that I didn't discover this book until my second pregnancy!
Malea
This book is such a great resource for any woman. It outlines the importance of exercise and has drawings of each exercise to make it easy to follow along.
Shelley White-corey
This has been my bible to help train women for birth, as well as help rehabilitate abs and pelvic floor following birth.
Danielle Rich
I liked this book and its got good information and partners exercise that i thought were cool.
Reuel
Very helpful to stay in good physical condition throughout pregnancy.
Aaminah Shakur
Aaminah Shakur marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2014
Lorren
Lorren marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2014
Michele
Michele marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Jasmine
Jasmine marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Selena
Selena added it
Apr 26, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Apr 12, 2014
Sabrina
Sabrina marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2014
Tiff Miller
Tiff Miller marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2014
Starlight
Starlight marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2014
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Mary
Mary marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2014
Amie
Amie marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Mandy
Mandy added it
Jan 11, 2014
Donny
Donny marked it as to-read
Jan 01, 2014
Victoria Klein
Victoria Klein marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Elizabeth Noble was born and raised in Australia, where she completed studies in physiotherapy, philosophy, and anthropology. She was an American Field Service Exchange Student to Tucson, AZ in 1961.

In 1973 after living abroad, she returned to the USA and founded the Section on Women's Health of the American Physical Therapy Association.

Her first book was Essential Exercises for the Childbearing Y...more
More about Elizabeth Noble...
Having Twins And More: A Parent's Guide to Multiple Pregnancy, Birth, and Early Childhood Childbirth With Insight Primal Connections Winners Speak Globish The Joy Of Being A Boy