Start by marking “Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)” as Want to Read:
Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)

Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  1,752 ratings  ·  82 reviews
For thirty-five years the identity of the dismembered woman found under the Las Piernas pier has remained a mystery. What secret did she take to her grave? Southern California reporter Irene Kelly has uncovered a maze of forensic records and confidential files that suggest a motive far more sinister than anyone imagined. The discovery has brought her close to Detective Fra ...more
Published May 1st 2002 by Pocket Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Goodnight, Irene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Goodnight, Irene

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonOne for the Money by Janet EvanovichA is for Alibi by Sue GraftonDéjà Dead by Kathy ReichsThe No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith
Fearless Females
77th out of 431 books — 552 voters
Dark Places by Gillian FlynnGone Girl by Gillian FlynnNo Time for Goodbye by Linwood BarclaySharp Objects by Gillian FlynnThe Virgin in the Ice by Ellis Peters
Non Police/PI Mysteries
29th out of 307 books — 52 voters

More lists with this book...

Taylor M.
Nov 26, 2007 Taylor M. rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who likes mystery's!
"For thirty-five years the identity of the dismembered woman found under the Las Piernas pier has remained a mystery. What secret did she take to her grave? Southern California reporter Irene kelly has uncovered a maze of forensic records and confidential files that suggest a motive far more sinister than anyone imagined. They discovery has bruoght her close to Detective Frank Harriman, and closer still to exposing a killer who will resort to anything to keep his secrets burried- and Irene silen ...more
Lee
The first in her long running series. Irene is Irish, a reporter and stubborn, and can't keep her nose out of finding the killer of her mentor. Meeting a former close friend on the case, Frank, now a Det. in homicide, they work together on the case. And, I'm sure the relationship will become serious. A fun and quick read, that is a promising start to the series. 3.5 stars.
Ch J Loveall
Have ordered the rest that RPL has but not for a while.
Susan Arena
I had previously read Bones, which comes somewhere in the middle of this series, and was quite taken with the story. I was excited to dive into the the first book, Goodnight Irene, but was sorely disappointed. I found her narrative tedious, and conversation overly simplified. Characters felt flat and awkward in their interactions. The story line itself was interesting enough, though somewhat predictable.
I have the next book in the series, but it's likely just going to head for the yard sale pil
Oswego Public Library District
This is the first book in a long-running popular series. A veteran journalist that vaguely resembles Lois Lane and a cop rekindle a romance that almost started years ago as they work through a cold case from 1955. New crimes related to it are happening almost daily as the killer's identity is close to being revealed. Plenty of suspense and nonstop action make this a satisfying read. -GD

Click here to place a hold on Goodnight, Irene .

If you like reading about cold cases, another riveting novel i
Wendy
Started: Nov 2, 2007
Finished: Nov 11, 2007
***

I met Jan Burke at the Surrey International Writers' Conference in October, and had a total fangirly moment when she told me she'd coauthored a book (story?) with Sue Grafton (author of the Kinsey Millhone series, starting with A is for Alibi

***
This is the first book in this series, and there was enough craft to keep me interested in the heroine, the story, and the love interest subplot. There was even the occasional turn of phrase that made me stop a
Teena in Toronto
I'd read a couple in the Irene Kelly series in the mid/late 1990s and enjoyed them ... then forgot about the series for some reason.

I read about this one in the newspaper last month and it reminded me about the series so I checked it out.

Though it has been a while since I've read the first couple and more have been added since then, I didn't feel lost. If you haven't read any of them, you can pick this one up and go with it. There are enough references so you know what's going on and who is who.
Michael Sump
This was my first sampling of Jan Burke's Irene Kelly series and I think that I'll probably try another. I don't think she's top tier--but she's good, created a interesting story, and kept my interest. Irene Kelly is a compelling lead. I liked this better than the one I recently read, starring V.I. Warshawski.
Becca
his is the second Jan Burke novel I've read. They're always fast paced and enjoyable reads, kind of like the action movies of mystery novel. In fact, it gets to be a little bit too much sometimes- this book featured two explosions, a car chase, a beating, a burial alive, torture, and five minor characters getting killed in the process. The main character, Irene, manages to remain spunky, beautiful, and unscathed throughout. She even manages to keep a positive attitude most of the time- which cau ...more
Brittin
I enjoyed this story, good pace and I liked the main characters. My only complaint is how quickly the ending came about. Also the late and minimal introduction to Elinor. Overall good book and I plan to read the entire series.
Peggy
Goodnight Irene was the November pick for my book club. I’m surprised I haven’t read Jan Burke before because I have read lots of mystery series but she was new to me. She is a cousin to one of our book club members so we all read her first book. This is a likeable easy read and has that “first book” feel. It’s a little slow at times but I liked the main character and I plan to read more in the series.
Shirley Alvarez
Goodnight Irene

A really good book. Enjoyed the suspenseful story and the romance too. Not over the top just very well done. Already got next one!
Jackie Petrillo
This is a good series. Interesting characters and conundrums. I found it worth while reading the books as they were published. Enjoyed the development of the charcters.
Gigi
I was pulled into this story by Jan Burke's stellar writing. I can't believe it took me so long to discover the wonderful Irene Kelly mystery series.
Ryan Mishap
The start of a series that starts out good and only gets better (except for kidnapped, that one is weird). Irene Kelley made her way into the newspaper business--despite the sexism and barriers in front of women--, at a southern California city paper, but left it for the PR business because of the abusive and controlling atmosphere brought on by the boss/editor. When her old mentor at the paper is murdered, she uses her skills to uncover the why and the who and decides to be a reporter again.
A
Sibylle Seys smets
Un peu simpliste, un peu chick lit, mais le rythme est bon et c est agréable à lire, avec une pointe d humour en prime. Distrayant.
Peg Brantley
This was my first Jan Burke. I've known about her for years through her Crime Lab Project, but never read one of her books. A reader mentioned that the manuscript I have coming out reminded him of Burke so I decided it was time to check her out. I wanted to try and read her "in order", so went back as far as I could. 1993. It's important for me to say that Jan Burke is a far better writer than I. Even twenty years ago. It was interesting to be jarred out of the story (but only slightly) with the ...more
Becky
I didn't like the main character that much.
Catherine Woodman
The bombing death of best friend and journalist O'Connor shocks Irene Kelly, herself an investigative reporter, into pursuing his last story--the as-yet-unsolved mutilation murder of a young woman back in 1955. Kelly collaborates with former flame Detective Harriman in her desire to identify the woman, but not without experiencing murder attempts, car chases, and a return of affection. Level-headed and unflappable, heroine Irene stands poised for a promising new series, despite the guessable vil ...more
Helen
Good, solid series. Will read more.
Shiela
This one was just okay for me. A little bit of political intrigue, dead bodies linked to a cold case, a determined investigative reporter who just lost a close friend, a cop who wants to protect his determined investigative reporter--this is another novel that has been done so many times before. That being said, "Goodnight, Irene" is the first of a long running series, so I think I'll give the second one a chance before writing it off. My friend assures me that they get better.
Jodi
"Read" this on my MP3 player on the way to work. Had listened to the title, "Liar", the week before not realizing it was in the middle of a series. Goodnight Irene is the first book. Enough action, enough description, and enough historical background to appeal to me at 5:30 a.m.
Have actually downloaded the next book, "Sweet Dreams" for this week.
Guess that is recommendation enough--not sure if I'll get bored with the characters or not but so far so good.
Babette
This is the first book in a series and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The characters are solid and the plot unfolds over the novel, introducing new characters along the way. However, that was a slight weakness to me because those later characters came across as stereotypes and seemed less real - there had not been time to develop them. However, the main characters are sympathetic and I will read the next book in the series.
Gloria
George
An Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter mystery. Mystery involves the 40 year old death of an unidentified woman. Irene becomes involved when a close friend, newspaper reporter, who has been trying to indetify this woman, is killed by a bomb when it appears he's close to doing so. Irene becomes involved and more mayhem happens.

The story is witty and fun to read.
Sheila
Murder/mystery who done it kind of book. It did get slow in a few places. Its the first of the Irene Kelly books. I really don't know much about the author just that when I was at 1/2 priced books and they were out of this one author I read, they said I should like this author. Doesn't have the humor that Janet Evanovitch has.

(Could be 2 1/2 stars - 3)
Anita
For thirty-five years the identity of the dismembered woman found under the Las Piernas pier has remained a mystery. What secret did she take to her grave? I enjoy years-past mysteries that are solved in the present. I like Southern California reporter Irene Kelly and Detective Frank Harriman. Not only is the mystery good, but the writing is excellent.
Angie
Was not disappointed.
DK Hoffman
Fantastic mystery!!! I picked this up at a used book sale impulsively and am very glad I did. I loved the character. This is set in the days (was it only 10 years ago) when newspapers were still king and investigative reporting was some of the best news in all of media. A really good read. I'm going to find more by this author.
LJ
GOODNIGHT, IRENE - Ex
Burke, Jan - 1st in Irene Kelly series

When a fellow reporter is blown up while investigating an unsolved murder from 1955, Irene Kelly is determined to solve the mystery despite the threat of death.

Southern California reporter, lots of bodies. I'm think I'm going to like this author a lot!
  • The Jasmine Trade
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • Death by Sudoku
  • The First Cut (Nan Vining Mysteries, #1)
  • Katwalk (Kat Colorado, #1)
  • The Broken Promise Land
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • Stone Angel (Kathleen Mallory, #4)
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • Immaculate Reception (Madeline Bean, #2)
  • Some Die Eloquent (Inspector Sloan #8)
  • Beneath a Silent Moon (Charles & Mélanie Fraser #2)
  • Three Complete Novels: A is for Alibi / B is for Burglar / C is for Corpse
  • Feint Of Art (An Art Lover's Mystery, #1)
  • The Alpine Fury (Emma Lord Mystery, #6)
  • Shooting at Loons (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #3)

Irene Kelly (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)
Bones (Irene Kelly, #7) Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2) Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3) Hocus (Irene Kelly #5) Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)