Start by marking “Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)” as Want to Read:
Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)

Dear Irene (Irene Kelly #3)

3.94  ·  Rating Details ·  1,039 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
When a strange letter signed "Thanatos" -- the ancient Greek name for death -- lands on Irene Kelly's desk, the intrepid reporter doesn't think much of it; she gets crazy mail all the time. A less cryptic message is sent when a body turns up the next morning. As more letters roll in, the death toll mounts...and Irene fears that her mysterious pen pal has cast her in his ...more
Published January 1st 2003 by Pocket Books (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dear Irene, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dear Irene

Wood, Talc and Mr. J by Chris   RoseJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëThe Secret of Excalibur by Sahara FoleyOliver Twist by Charles DickensPeter Pan by J.M. Barrie
Fictional book titles that include names
411th out of 644 books — 94 voters
The Joy Luck Club by Amy TanThe Syrian Virgin by Zack LoveThe Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg LarssonThe Help by Kathryn StockettThe Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd
Women with Moxie
84th out of 106 books — 43 voters

More lists with this book...

Ed
Oct 15, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it
#3 in the Irene Kelly series.

Irene Kelly series - Nearly recovered from the wounds she received in Sweet Dreams (1994), feisty reporter Irene Kelly returns to her California newspaper office to be caught up in another intelligent tale of danger and vengeance. Among her accumulated mail is a letter from someone calling himself Thanatos, addressing her as Cassandra and promising that ``Clio will be the first to die.'' Dismissing the letter as the work of a kook, she nevertheless pursues the mythol
Donna
Jan 18, 2016 Donna rated it liked it
Newspaper reporter Irene Kelly makes her way back to work in the newsroom after her last murder investigation left her with temporary injuries that are still healing. She receives letters in the mail threatening harm to mythological characters. Dead bodies relating to the myths begin turning up. Irene also receives phone calls from someone using a disguised voice. She reports all to her boss at the newspaper as well as her fiance, homicide detective Frank Harriman, who is obviously concerned ...more
Teena in Toronto
May 10, 2012 Teena in Toronto rated it liked it
This is the third in the series of eleven (as of 2011). I read it years ago and am rereading the series.

This one was okay. Irene and Frank are now engaged and living together and expanding their family.

Irene is just getting back to work after the beating she had in the second book. Frank is very protective and its driving her crazy.

She starts getting cryptic letters giving her clues to murders. Working together with the police and other reporters, she goes down the path of solving the mystery.

Th
Mary
Jan 26, 2011 Mary rated it really liked it
Irene Kelly is finally able to return to work, but she has started receiving letters from someone who calls himself Thantos and calls her Cassandra. Then bodies start showing up. Thantos even breaks into her house that she shares with her fiance Frank Harriman a detective. The link between the bodies and Thantos is that of a death during WWII daycare run by an aircraft company. There are Greek and Roman mythology references. Makes me want to read my mythology books again.
George
Jan 25, 2008 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another in the Irene Kelly, Southern California newspaper reporter mysterys. In this story, a serial killer is passing on information to her regarding his killings. Plot line involves Greek mythology as Irene works to unravel who the killer is and why. As is usual for this series, Irene becomes a potential victim.
Msjodi777
Jun 09, 2016 Msjodi777 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2016, june-2016
I have to admit that I had forgotten how much I enjoy this series, though if all the killers in the little town keep coming after Irene, I'm sure it will eventually start getting old. But for now, the writing is excellent, the stories are believable and interesting, and the narration is excellent. So, I'll keep listening to them. <><
Johnny
Aug 10, 2014 Johnny rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Mystery fans
It was okay.

Think Seven meets Y.A. meets rom-com battle-of-the-sexes.

The characters were contrived, the ending telegraphed, and the cat and mouse game a bit silly. Lacked the depth or compulsion in the conceit that makes baiting serial killers fun to read--the Mercury/Greek mythology connection is t-h-i-n.

Not recommended, unless you like the series.
Toni Kania
Jun 06, 2015 Toni Kania rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
This an earlier series that I had let lapse and am only now getting back to. Too long to be still sitting on my shelves. It's funny that I did do that, because the book was surprising good. A series that good would normally have drawn me back. Must have been a busy time or something...of course it was -- when wasn't I busy in the 90's?
LJ
DEAR IRENE = VG+
Burke, Jan - 3rd in Irene Kelly series

Receiving a cryptic note that foretells a murder, newspaperwoman Irene Kelly realizes that she is being drawn into an inescapable labyrinth of terror and must track down a killer before she becomes the next victim.

This series is growing better with each book. Ms. Burke is a very good writer.
Kate North
Aug 21, 2015 Kate North rated it liked it
Enjoying re-reading this series. It's been so long since I originally read them, that I don't really remember the details of them, just a sense of the overall plot arc, which is great - it's almost like having a new series to read. The plotting is good, and the characters are interesting. Looking forward to the rest of the series in the coming months.
Melanie Barbarito
Jun 01, 2013 Melanie Barbarito rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
It was good. I read it quickly, but it was kind of mind candy. I didn't find the characters compelling enough to want to read more in the series. Of course, it might have helped if I'd started with an earlier book in the series. But this is what I found at Half Price Books.
Mary Newcomb
Irene Kelly becomes involved with Greek mythology as part of a modern day murder mystery. Even though she is still recovering from her injuries received during the last tale, her spunkiness rebounds admirably!
Joe O'c
Aug 27, 2009 Joe O'c rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Irene Kelly; reporter receives calls and other messages from a serial killer, who appears to be preying on children of mothers who worked in a munitions plant during WW II and who were involved in a playground incident where one of the children died.
Kay Wetter
Aug 12, 2013 Kay Wetter rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, Jan Burke became one of my all time favorite mystery Authors. I love the Irene Kelly series.
Laurla2
Oct 13, 2012 Laurla2 added it
Shelves: mystery
"no use asking anyone to trust you irene. its like asking someone to love you. he either does or he doesnt. the request doesnt change a thing."
Mary Follis
Mar 21, 2016 Mary Follis rated it it was amazing
Irene marries the homicide detective, but first she has a myth-obsessed killer to deal with. Fast-paced with twists.
Shirley Alvarez
Feb 06, 2015 Shirley Alvarez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dear Irene

Another great book! I couldn't put it down. Suspenseful and spine tingling. Can't get enough of these books. I can guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Carol
Dec 15, 2013 Carol rated it really liked it
I love this series. Irene keeps getting in trouble and worries poor Frank to death. Good, fun books.
Sheila
Sheila rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2009
Aquila
Aquila rated it really liked it
Oct 09, 2016
Lisa
Lisa rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2008
Michael
Michael rated it really liked it
Dec 13, 2007
Dianne
Dianne rated it really liked it
Sep 30, 2014
Debra Diprimio
Debra Diprimio rated it really liked it
Nov 10, 2012
Sharan
Sharan rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2012
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2009
Andry
Andry rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Adrienne Brundage
Adrienne Brundage rated it liked it
Mar 06, 2010
TC
TC rated it really liked it
Jul 07, 2016
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2012
  • Sugar Skull
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • Parting Breath  (Inspector Sloan #7)
  • An Unthymely Death and Other Garden Mysteries
  • Another Scandal in Bohemia (Irene Adler, #4)
  • Miami, It's Murder (Britt Montero, #2)
  • The Price of Murder (Sir John Fielding, Book 10)
  • Cut to the Quick (Nan Vining Mysteries, #2)
  • Deadline
  • A Blind Eye (Frank Corso, #3)
  • Per mano mia: Il Natale del commissario Ricciardi
  • Gone to Her Death (Lloyd & Hill, #3)
  • The Lost Witness (Lena Gamble, #2)
  • The Mayfair Affair (Rannoch/Fraser Publication Order, #8)
  • Lady Vanishes (Rachel Alexander & Dash, #4)

Irene Kelly (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Goodnight, Irene (Irene Kelly #1)
  • Sweet Dreams, Irene (Irene Kelly #2)
  • Remember Me, Irene (Irene Kelly #4)
  • Hocus (Irene Kelly #5)
  • Liar (Irene Kelly, #6)
  • Bones (Irene Kelly, #7)
  • Flight (Irene Kelly, #8)
  • Bloodlines (Irene Kelly, #9)
  • Kidnapped (Irene Kelly #10)
  • Disturbance (Irene Kelly, #11)