Start by marking “In a Patch of Fireweed: A Biologist's Life in the Field” as Want to Read:
In a Patch of Fireweed: A Biologist's Life in the Field

In a Patch of Fireweed: A Biologist's Life in the Field

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  53 ratings  ·  5 reviews
Part autobiography, part case study in the ways of field biology, this book is an account of a scientist's life and work. For the author, it is an opportunity to report not just his results but the curiosity, humour, error, passion and competitiveness that feed the process of discovery. His stated purpose is to tell about the natural links forged between one's life and a l ...more
Published September 1st 1991 by Harvard University Press (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about In a Patch of Fireweed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In a Patch of Fireweed

Angela Boord
I'll be passing this book on to the kids when they're a little older. Excellent description of what being a field biologist is really like.

Just finished reading this last night and loved it, even through all the discussion of taking the thoracic temperature of insects. (Actually, that was fascinating, too; I had no idea that some insects can regulate their own temperatures, or that there are whole groups of moths which are active in the wintertime (in Maine!)) I liked this book for all the littl
This is another lovely example of Heinrich's fine writing. It covers part of his life that I had already read about in other books of his, but with totally different intriguing facts and stories. When I started to read the book, I had been afraid that he might repeat himself in this book, but there is so much depth to his life that he had entirely new material.

His ability to communicate clearly is unparalleled in my experience, and he also has a talent for fine story-telling. I would say that th
Paul Hudson
We all have that friend who's a tinkerer... who wants to know how everything works... who borrows your Nintendo and takes it apart. Well maybe that last part doesn't happen to everyone. (Thanks Brian!) This book is a direct tap into a tinkerer's brain.
Dennis Ross
One of the first books written by my favorite naturalist. It tells the amazing story of his youth during WWII and coming to the USA. His early studies are every bit as fascinating as his later work on birds.
Illuminating and fun. A life-long ecologist's tale of how life's challenges gave him a unique insight on macro-ecology.
Andree marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Diana marked it as to-read
Oct 28, 2015
Deanna marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2015
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2015
Elyse Fuller
Elyse Fuller marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2015
Erin Fekete
Erin Fekete marked it as to-read
Aug 05, 2015
Rosey is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2015
Butterflywolf marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2015
Kristin marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2015
Janice CA
Janice CA marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2015
sbharris marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2015
Joshua Boydstun
Joshua Boydstun marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Emma marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2015
Spencer marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2014
Saul Rothenberg
Saul Rothenberg marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Liz marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Alvaro Espinel
Alvaro Espinel marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
CrimsonFlamez marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Joy marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2014
Camille Hall
Camille Hall marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bernd Heinrich was born in Germany (April 19, 1940) and moved to Wilton, Maine as a child. He studied at the University of Maine and UCLA and is Professor Emeriti of Biology at the University of Vermont.

He is the author of many books including Winter World, Ravens in Winter, Mind of the Raven and Why We Run. Many of his books focus on the natural world just outside the cabin door.

Heinrich has wo
More about Bernd Heinrich...