Start by marking “I Hate Books!” as Want to Read:
I Hate Books!

I Hate Books!

3.39 of 5 stars 3.39  ·  rating details  ·  38 ratings  ·  11 reviews
Illustrated by David Cox

Hamish loves stories. He especially loves listening to his grandpa, who reads with lots of expression. Hamish’s brother, Nathan, is a good reader, too. Actually, Nathan is a genius. Hamish himself is just smart, or thinks he’s smart until he starts third grade, and his teacher, Miss Margin, asks him to read aloud. Instead of reading, he makes up a w
Published 1995 by Omnibus Books

To ask other readers questions about I Hate Books!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Hate Books!

Lisa Vegan
Sep 15, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who have struggles learning to read, kids in general – it’s a good boy book too
I wasn’t thrilled that Hamish, the boy who tells this story, agrees to learn to read at the end of the book only because his parents promise him a toy that they would never buy for his older brother Nathan because they’re too poor. Where’s learning for the sake of learning?! I wish that the author had picked another plot twist.

I also thought that the grandfather giving Moby Dick to such a young kid was kind of weird.

That said, this is a terrific book for those children with learning differences
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
This book is about Hamish, a boy in 2nd grade who can't read but thinks he is reading when he makes up stories to match the pictures. In addition, his older brother would read a portion of a book onto a tape, and Hamish would memorize it so that people would think he was reading. It's not clear in the text whether he realizes exactly what reading is, and that what he was doing was memorizing and imagining. Various adults in the story tried to show him what reading is, but no one actually explain ...more
Shanna
VERY VERY CUTE STORY!!!
Jean
How many kids love stories and being read to but can't seem to catch on to making sense of those squiggly black lines that make up letters and words? Hamish is one of those kids. He is smart in many ways, but doesn't know how to read. Adults in literacy classes are like Hamish. They've learned superior coping skills to hide the fact that they can't read. They are class clowns, good memorizers and find ways of distracting teachers in order to keep from being exposed as a non-reader. But Hamish is ...more
Harold Bedat Jr
I liked it. It was a good book to read
Margie
A boy who struggles with reading gets sent to his "reading specialist" to work with him. Early on, he learns from his grandfather who "makes up" stories to the pictures he sees. His family never thought he couldn't read because he "faked" reading so long. One teacher discovers his secret and tries to help him.
Wayne
Cute book describing the antics of a boy who loves books, until he realizes that people expect him to read the "real" stories out of them instead of making up his own. He thinks that his stories are just as valid as the ones that everybody else seems to get out of a book.
Melissa
Jul 11, 2010 Melissa rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all parents who read to their kids or to their children if at the reading level
This was my first chapter book to read to my 6yr old son, he loved it and I did too. We checked it out just because of the title. As, Jaden states it, "hey he hates books just like me!" It turned out to be a very cute book.
Elise
A funny yet touching book about a young boy who loves stories and storytelling, but struggles with reading.
Kim
I don't think this would inspire anyone to read, which is the point of the book!
Annie
3rd grade read aloud
Elmer
Elmer marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Marcus
Marcus marked it as to-read
May 19, 2014
Brittany Munson
Brittany Munson marked it as to-read
Apr 21, 2014
Jenny
Jenny added it
Mar 26, 2014
Martha
Martha marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Nathan Mwanza
Nathan Mwanza marked it as to-read
Dec 27, 2013
Rayarana Kandamby
Rayarana Kandamby marked it as to-read
Sep 26, 2013
Osama Masri
Osama Masri marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2013
Staci
Staci added it
Dec 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
I was born in Nottinghamshire, England, but I didn't live there for very long. The family moved to West Yorkshire when I was just eighteen months old and so I have always regarded Yorkshire as my home. I grew up there as the middle child in a family of five—all girls—in a home where books were vitally important and I read anything I could get my hands on.

Even before I could write I was making up s
More about Kate Walker...
The Proud Wife The Greek Tycoon's Unwilling Wife Cordero's Forced Bride Kept for Her Baby Bedded By The Greek Billionaire