Start by marking “The Future of Success” as Want to Read:
The Future of Success

The Future of Success

3.80  ·  Rating Details  ·  138 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
If you think it’s getting harder to both make a living and make a life, economist and former secretary of labor Robert Reich agrees with you. Americans may be earning more than ever before, but we’re paying a steep price: we’re working longer, seeing our families less, and our communities are fragmenting.

With the clarity and insight that are his hallmarks, Reich delineates
Published April 17th 2001 by Knopf (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Success

Patrick
Kay
Nov 18, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it
I first was exposed to Robert Reich in the documentary Inequality for All. Of course, I want to read his new book, Saving Capitalism, but thought I'd start with this book to check out his future predictions. (This was published in 2000 so really a lot has happened since then.) I found this amazingly accurate and dead on even for today. The trends he saw are moving full steam ahead. This book offers a lot of insight into the economy we're facing post-industrialism with a new sorting order that is ...more
Mark Oppenlander
Robert Reich is an economist and a former US Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration. In this book, he describes some of the macro trends that affect how we work and live in the 21st century.

Reich's basic premise is this: The dual forces of information technology and globalization are leading to better and better deals for consumers. Each of us (especially those of us in the developed world) now has the ability to access a nearly infinite array of goods and services of high quality at g
Roger
Jul 08, 2008 Roger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Long story short: the New Economy differs from the Old in that there is increased volatility, and a feedback cycle coming into play. Highly variable pay and prices are pitted against highly static needs like food, shelter, and childrearing.

Unlike cable TV, one cannot skimp on food for a week because they can't afford their bills. Any time where the wave is lower than the needs, there is social stress from a mismatch.

The feedback cycle results from the rich and creative becoming richer, which can
Nettie
Sep 17, 2007 Nettie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ANYONE IN THE WORKFORCE OR RAISING SOMEONE WHO WILL BE IN THE WORKFORCE
Shelves: non-fiction
Until I saw the Forbes article on Rober Reich's new book, I had forgotten that I had read this book (no fault of the author's, I've just been losing my memory, or maybe my mind). First he is an excellent writer, second he jokes at himself (mostly his stature or lack thereof), and third he is one smart guy with a tremendous level of insight. The book may be several years old, but unless you have already earned a lifetime's worth of income for you and your heirs, take some time and read this book. ...more
Calvin Lai
Nov 14, 2014 Calvin Lai rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: curious
If you're looking for a book to make sense of your place within our post-industrial order, this is it. Highly recommended.
Brandon Weinberg
May 29, 2010 Brandon Weinberg rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: for sure
Find it difficult to make a life while making a living? Balancing a personal and professional life? Of course not a new problem, but reading this overview of success crystallized significant aspect after significant aspect to modern happiness. Robert Reich is one of the best Economists worldwide, here he wrote how business, family, technology, globalization, the whole world obviously, is rapidly changing the feeling of success.
Howard
Sep 27, 2011 Howard rated it it was amazing
Robert Reicht is a leading national economist, author and newsmaker who understands what is happening to our nation economically, socially and morally. Through his endeavors and others like him, I just hope and pray our nation will wake up to the realities of the political events that are guiding our nation in this decline. Thank you, Robert Reicht for your wisdom and promotion of our situation.
Charlie Levinson
Very compelling, put a lot of things in perspective for me about the world we live in, and how much it's changed from the industrial era. I highly recommend it.
Shannon
Jun 02, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Although this book was written before the 2008 crash, and even before 9/11 (published in 2000), it is still totally relevant in 2012. I highly recommend it!
Cristi
Dec 16, 2011 Cristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
spune lucrui evidente dar park e mai credibil pt k el banuesc k vorbeste si din experiente personale. Fericirea din viziunea unui politic/economist/jurnalist
Lori Grant
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and trends regarding visions of the future.
Jenn
Aug 01, 2007 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sociology
Who the fuck has my copy of this book. I really enjoyed it and now it is gone. Fess up!
Jodi
Jan 25, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
the first of reich's books i read, i think it may be time to re-read it
Julia
Oct 23, 2013 Julia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
perspective adjustment for the current economic zeitgeist
Erica Chang
we live in a stressful world alright
Miguel
Miguel rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2016
Leanna Pohevitz
Leanna Pohevitz marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
samir Burnside
samir Burnside rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2016
Ricardo
Ricardo marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Raluca Zamfir
Raluca Zamfir marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
LiZi Bruklinsk
LiZi Bruklinsk marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2016
Stefanie
Stefanie marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2016
Stacey
Stacey marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
  • Standing by Words
  • Why Globalization Works
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender and Computer Games
  • Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class
  • Megatrends 2000
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • The Politics of Upheaval 1935-36 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 3)
  • Better Together: Restoring the American Community
  • The Greening of America
  • Blood and Belonging: Journeys into the New Nationalism
  • ألبير كامو
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • Philosophy and Social Hope
Robert Bernard Reich is an American politician, academic, and political commentator. He served as Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1997. Reich is a former Harvard University professor and the former Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University. He is currently a professor at the Un ...more
More about Robert B. Reich...