Start by marking “The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy” as Want to Read:
The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy

The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  15 reviews
If you think it’s getting harder to both make a living and make a life, economist and former secretary of labor Robert Reich agrees with you. Americans may be earning more than ever before, but we’re paying a steep price: we’re working longer, seeing our families less, and our communities are fragmenting.

With the clarity and insight that are his hallmarks, Reich delineates
Published January 8th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Success

Patrick
Mark Oppenlander
Robert Reich is an economist and a former US Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration. In this book, he describes some of the macro trends that affect how we work and live in the 21st century.

Reich's basic premise is this: The dual forces of information technology and globalization are leading to better and better deals for consumers. Each of us (especially those of us in the developed world) now has the ability to access a nearly infinite array of goods and services of high quality at g
Roger
Long story short: the New Economy differs from the Old in that there is increased volatility, and a feedback cycle coming into play. Highly variable pay and prices are pitted against highly static needs like food, shelter, and childrearing.

Unlike cable TV, one cannot skimp on food for a week because they can't afford their bills. Any time where the wave is lower than the needs, there is social stress from a mismatch.

The feedback cycle results from the rich and creative becoming richer, which can
Nettie
Sep 17, 2007 Nettie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: ANYONE IN THE WORKFORCE OR RAISING SOMEONE WHO WILL BE IN THE WORKFORCE
Shelves: non-fiction
Until I saw the Forbes article on Rober Reich's new book, I had forgotten that I had read this book (no fault of the author's, I've just been losing my memory, or maybe my mind). First he is an excellent writer, second he jokes at himself (mostly his stature or lack thereof), and third he is one smart guy with a tremendous level of insight. The book may be several years old, but unless you have already earned a lifetime's worth of income for you and your heirs, take some time and read this book. ...more
Calvin Lai
If you're looking for a book to make sense of your place within our post-industrial order, this is it. Highly recommended.
Brandon Weinberg
May 29, 2010 Brandon Weinberg rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: for sure
Find it difficult to make a life while making a living? Balancing a personal and professional life? Of course not a new problem, but reading this overview of success crystallized significant aspect after significant aspect to modern happiness. Robert Reich is one of the best Economists worldwide, here he wrote how business, family, technology, globalization, the whole world obviously, is rapidly changing the feeling of success.
Davis
Robert Reicht is a leading national economist, author and newsmaker who understands what is happening to our nation economically, socially and morally. Through his endeavors and others like him, I just hope and pray our nation will wake up to the realities of the political events that are guiding our nation in this decline. Thank you, Robert Reicht for your wisdom and promotion of our situation.
Charlie Levinson
Very compelling, put a lot of things in perspective for me about the world we live in, and how much it's changed from the industrial era. I highly recommend it.
Shannon
Although this book was written before the 2008 crash, and even before 9/11 (published in 2000), it is still totally relevant in 2012. I highly recommend it!
Cristi
spune lucrui evidente dar park e mai credibil pt k el banuesc k vorbeste si din experiente personale. Fericirea din viziunea unui politic/economist/jurnalist
Lori Grant
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and trends regarding visions of the future.
Jenn
Who the fuck has my copy of this book. I really enjoyed it and now it is gone. Fess up!
Jodi
the first of reich's books i read, i think it may be time to re-read it
Julia
perspective adjustment for the current economic zeitgeist
Erica Chang
we live in a stressful world alright
M
M marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2015
Kneedleknees
Kneedleknees marked it as to-read
Aug 24, 2015
Ken
Ken marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Jason
Jason marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2015
Bob
Bob added it
Aug 03, 2015
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2015
Jen Yi
Jen Yi marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Heather J
Heather J marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2015
Nuno Picareta
Nuno Picareta marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2015
Claire
Claire marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
TBA
TBA marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2015
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Why Globalization Works
  • Standing by Words
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class
  • The Politics of Upheaval 1935-36 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 3)
  • Megatrends 2000
  • The Greening of America
  • Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • Dostoevsky: The Years of Ordeal, 1850-1859
Robert Bernard Reich is an American politician, academic, and political commentator. He served as Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1997. Reich is a former Harvard University professor and the former Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University. He is currently a professor at the Un ...more
More about Robert B. Reich...
Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future Supercapitalism: The Transformation of Business, Democracy, and Everyday Life Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix it Reason: Why Liberals Will Win the Battle for America Locked in the Cabinet