Start by marking “The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy” as Want to Read:
The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy

The Future of Success: Working and Living in the New Economy

If you think it’s getting harder to both make a living and make a life, economist and former secretary of labor Robert Reich agrees with you. Americans may be earning more than ever before, but we’re paying a steep price: we’re working longer, seeing our families less, and our communities are fragmenting.

With the clarity and insight that are his hallmarks, Reich delineates
Published January 8th 2002 by Vintage (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about The Future of Success, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Future of Success

Feb 18, 2014 Patrick rated it liked it
Nov 18, 2015 Kay rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I first was exposed to Robert Reich in the documentary Inequality for All. Of course, I want to read his new book, Saving Capitalism, but thought I'd start with this book to check out his future predictions. (This was published in 2000 so really a lot has happened since then.) I found this amazingly accurate and dead on even for today. The trends he saw are moving full steam ahead. This book offers a lot of insight into the economy we're facing post-industrialism with a new sorting order that is ...more
Mark Oppenlander
Robert Reich is an economist and a former US Secretary of Labor in the Clinton administration. In this book, he describes some of the macro trends that affect how we work and live in the 21st century.

Reich's basic premise is this: The dual forces of information technology and globalization are leading to better and better deals for consumers. Each of us (especially those of us in the developed world) now has the ability to access a nearly infinite array of goods and services of high quality at g
Jul 08, 2008 Roger rated it really liked it
Long story short: the New Economy differs from the Old in that there is increased volatility, and a feedback cycle coming into play. Highly variable pay and prices are pitted against highly static needs like food, shelter, and childrearing.

Unlike cable TV, one cannot skimp on food for a week because they can't afford their bills. Any time where the wave is lower than the needs, there is social stress from a mismatch.

The feedback cycle results from the rich and creative becoming richer, which can
Sep 17, 2007 Nettie rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Until I saw the Forbes article on Rober Reich's new book, I had forgotten that I had read this book (no fault of the author's, I've just been losing my memory, or maybe my mind). First he is an excellent writer, second he jokes at himself (mostly his stature or lack thereof), and third he is one smart guy with a tremendous level of insight. The book may be several years old, but unless you have already earned a lifetime's worth of income for you and your heirs, take some time and read this book. ...more
Calvin Lai
Nov 14, 2014 Calvin Lai rated it it was amazing
Shelves: curious
If you're looking for a book to make sense of your place within our post-industrial order, this is it. Highly recommended.
Brandon Weinberg
May 29, 2010 Brandon Weinberg rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: for sure
Find it difficult to make a life while making a living? Balancing a personal and professional life? Of course not a new problem, but reading this overview of success crystallized significant aspect after significant aspect to modern happiness. Robert Reich is one of the best Economists worldwide, here he wrote how business, family, technology, globalization, the whole world obviously, is rapidly changing the feeling of success.
Sep 27, 2011 Howard rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Robert Reicht is a leading national economist, author and newsmaker who understands what is happening to our nation economically, socially and morally. Through his endeavors and others like him, I just hope and pray our nation will wake up to the realities of the political events that are guiding our nation in this decline. Thank you, Robert Reicht for your wisdom and promotion of our situation.
Charlie Levinson
May 27, 2013 Charlie Levinson rated it it was amazing
Very compelling, put a lot of things in perspective for me about the world we live in, and how much it's changed from the industrial era. I highly recommend it.
Jun 02, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business
Although this book was written before the 2008 crash, and even before 9/11 (published in 2000), it is still totally relevant in 2012. I highly recommend it!
Dec 16, 2011 Cristi rated it really liked it
spune lucrui evidente dar park e mai credibil pt k el banuesc k vorbeste si din experiente personale. Fericirea din viziunea unui politic/economist/jurnalist
Lori Grant
Mar 29, 2013 Lori Grant rated it really liked it
A should-read book for knowledge workers and entrepreneurs on concepts and trends regarding visions of the future.
Aug 01, 2007 Jenn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sociology
Who the fuck has my copy of this book. I really enjoyed it and now it is gone. Fess up!
Jan 25, 2008 Jodi rated it really liked it
the first of reich's books i read, i think it may be time to re-read it
Oct 23, 2013 Julia rated it liked it
perspective adjustment for the current economic zeitgeist
Erica Chang
Aug 16, 2011 Erica Chang rated it liked it
we live in a stressful world alright
Elias marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2016
Leslie Graff
Leslie Graff rated it it was amazing
Oct 21, 2016
Natalya rated it liked it
Oct 15, 2016
BookDB marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2016
Anthony Meals
Anthony Meals marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2016
Gina rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2016
Barb Stadtmiller
Barb Stadtmiller marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2016
Olivier rated it liked it
Sep 22, 2016
Margo added it
Aug 22, 2016
Ciara M. Durkan
Ciara M. Durkan rated it it was amazing
Aug 13, 2016
April marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2016
Mindy added it
Aug 12, 2016
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2016
Samantha marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
  • Standing by Words
  • Why Globalization Works
  • Al Qaeda and What It Means to Be Modern
  • Supercade: A Visual History Of The Videogame Age, 1971 1984
  • John Stuart Mill: Victorian Firebrand
  • One Market Under God: Extreme Capitalism, Market Populism, and the End of Economic Democracy
  • Small Pieces Loosely Joined: A Unified Theory Of The Web
  • Fear of Falling: The Inner Life of the Middle Class
  • Great American Hypocrites: Toppling the Big Myths of Republican Politics
  • The Politics of Upheaval 1935-36 (The Age of Roosevelt, Vol 3)
  • Better Together: Restoring the American Community
  • Megatrends 2000
  • From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender and Computer Games
  • Blood and Belonging: Journeys into the New Nationalism
  • The Greening of America
  • The End of Oil: On the Edge of a Perilous New World
  • Get Your War on
  • Quarterlife Crisis: The Unique Challenges of Life in Your Twenties
Robert Bernard Reich is an American politician, academic, and political commentator. He served as Secretary of Labor under President Bill Clinton from 1993 to 1997. Reich is a former Harvard University professor and the former Maurice B. Hexter Professor of Social and Economic Policy at the Heller School for Social Policy and Management at Brandeis University. He is currently a professor at the Un ...more
More about Robert B. Reich...