Start by marking “Thomas, The Tank Engine” as Want to Read:
Thomas, The Tank Engine

Wilbert Awdry

Thomas, The Tank Engine

3.51 of 5 stars 3.51  ·  rating details  ·  146 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Here is the original collection of stories about Thomas in a friendly, new, larger size! First published in 1946, and continuously in print since then, these are the first four of Thomas’ many adventures. He cheekily tries to upset Gordon, accidentally leaves his coaches behind, and has a lot of trouble with the Troublesome Trucks, but in the end he learns many lessons abo ...more
Unknown Binding, 62 pages
Published January 1st 1985 by Kay and Ward

To ask other readers questions about Thomas, The Tank Engine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thomas, The Tank Engine

Libby
I have never liked Thomas the Tank Engine. This is a long-standing dislike, since my high-school babysitting days. My first encounter was through videos while sitting, and I found all the engines to be grouchy and difficult to like. When I got my first library job and found out that they were all morality tales, I just decided that that was why none of the characters were likable and wrote off the series.

Now, of course, I have children. They have Thomas Toys (which I don't mind so much). They l
Charlotte
As a child care provider for many years, I was surpised that I have never read the first book in the Thomas the Tank engine series. I finally picked it up to meet the goal of reading all "1001 Children's books you must read before you grow up."

I really like these stories. They are not for every child, but the children who do like them are fanatical. The stories are calm, warm, and have a moral. The characters make mistakes and then learn from them. The vocabulary is strangely oldfashioned, but s
Amos White
Jan 05, 2010 Amos White rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents of toddlers
Recommended to Amos by: friends
Another soon to be classic like "The Little Engine That Could," The Reverend Audry tells vivid stories of the beloved tank engines of the Island of Sodor.

Although some parents voice a strong dislike for the engine's "creepy eyes" and the authoritarian messages and ordered cultural structure as commanded by Sir Topham Hat and evidenced in the pecking order of the engines, I find this book series to be emblematic of the geographic place and times which inspired it.

A great read for boys and girls a
Kate
My little brother LOVED Thomas the Train growing up, so I was exposed to my fair share of the madness. I really like this book though, and the rest of the Railway Series - it really sparks a lot of imagination in little children's brains. A whole world of talking trains, my oh my! And not even that, but it teaches valuable lessons in an entertaining way. I hope that I have a son (or daughter) who gets into Thomas like my brother did, so that I can share this brilliant world with him or her.
Mary
If your child loves Thomas then he/she will love these classics, but they can have a few too many words if they aren't the easy reader version, so aren't great for short attention spans of the very young.
Kirei
Apr 20, 2008 Kirei rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: kids
Shelves: younger-kids
Contains four Thomas stories as originally written by Rev. W. Audrey. It has an old fashioned and British feel to it.
Tammy
Just can't get in to the books...
Gabrielle.Brigley
Gabrielle.Brigley marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Steven
Steven marked it as to-read
May 04, 2015
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2015
Andrew Mcmahon
Andrew Mcmahon marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Daniel Brogan
Daniel Brogan marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2015
Leeann
Leeann added it
Jan 30, 2015
Rosemary
Rosemary marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2015
Jo
Jo marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Suzy Platt
Suzy Platt marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
  • My Big Truck Book
  • Family Home Evening Resource Book
  • Meg and Mog
  • Sophie Scott Goes South
  • Where's Spot? (Picture Puffin - Lift-the-flap book)
  • The Trip
  • The Boy Who Grew Flowers
  • Dora's Book of Manners (Dora the Explorer, #5)
Wilbert Vere Awdry, OBE, was an English clergyman, railway enthusiast and children's author, better known as the Reverend W. Awdry and creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, who starred in Awdry's acclaimed Railway Series.

The characters that would make Awdry famous, and the first stories featuring them, were invented in 1943 to amuse his son Christopher during a bout of measles. The first book (The Th
More about Wilbert Awdry...
Stop, Train, Stop! a Thomas the Tank Engine Story (Thomas & Friends) Thomas and the School Trip (Thomas & Friends) Go, Train, Go! Thomas The Tank Engine: The Complete Collection Thomas the Tank Engine Story Collection (Thomas & Friends)