Start by marking “I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ...” as Want to Read:

I, Vampire: The Confessions of a Vampire - His Life, His Loves, His Strangest Desires ... (I, Vampire #1)

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,624 Ratings  ·  60 Reviews
From yesterday to a hundred years ago, he lives in the world and walks among us. He enjoys the finest things in life, including beautfiul women, well-aged wine, and the finest classical composers. He has no guilt -- he has no need of it. Neither good, nor bad, neither angel nor devil, he is a man, he is a vampire. And this is his story....
Published July 1st 1990 by Fawcett

To ask other readers questions about I, Vampire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I, Vampire

Andrew
May 22, 2009 Andrew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book was completely unexpected for me. I am a HUGE Anne Rice fan and have loved her writing for years. At one point, a family friend recommended to me this book. Initially, I was intriqued because it was a book about vampires.

Romkey is a master at taking something that will challenge your perceptions of things you know and twisting them to his purpose for telling an incredible story that takes its readers on a fantastic journey. In an effort to dispel the convoluted statement I have just m
P. Aaron Potter
May 07, 2012 P. Aaron Potter rated it did not like it
Shelves: horror
One of the worst books I've gone to the trouble of actually finishing...mostly because I couldn't quite believe how wretched it was. Every time you think the plot can't get any more contrived, the protagonist more obnoxious, deeper it goes, like some urban-paranormal train-wreck.

The main character is the second worst Mary-Sue in modern letters. We are to believe this drug-addled, morally vapid, sex-driven liesure-suited bargain-basement lothario keeps running into the Great Minds of history (Moz
Karen
When I was a teen in the late 90s, before the invasion of the Twihards, I loved all things vampire, particularly Anne Rice. I loved the interludes in history and the present, the lavish lifestlyes, the melodrama, and the broodiness (emo, before there was emo). I, Vampire was definetely written with these qualities in mind; depressed wealthy genius becomes a vampire and joins the ranks of, wait for it.....

...vampiric Romonov princesses, Mozart (yes, that Mozart), Rasputin, and my personal favouri
Eric
May 30, 2008 Eric rated it it was amazing
I must admit, when I first started reading this book, that it struck me as a rip-off of Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. The protagonist, David Parker, is a new, sensitive, arts-loving vampire, unsure of all his new powers. I immediately thought of Louis.

But, happily, any similarities ended there. In fact, Romkey has written an original vampire tale, to which he has added several sequels.

David Parker is an unhappy lawyer, freshly divorced, terribly lonely, when he meets a beautiful and mysterio
Jon Alette
Jul 27, 2014 Jon Alette rated it liked it
Michael Romkey var någonting briljant på spåren. Den första halvan av denna vampyrroman var mörk, mystisk, konstnärlig och spännande. Den andra halvan utvecklas till ett stort Harry Potter-äventyr med Star Wars-vibbar där historiska karaktärer travas på varandra i en stereotypisk komplott. I övrigt uttrycker Romkey en konservativ heteronorm där protagonisten uttalar sig negativt om drag show-konceptet samtidigt som han själv lever efter en promiskuös norm som försvaras av att han gör det på ett ...more
John
Aug 29, 2007 John rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fans of mystery, horror and comedy
Shelves: ivereadthis
I cannot say enough about this book. It's not what one would expect at all. I know I seem to read a lot of vampire novels but this one stands apart from all others in it's surprising characters, people you've actually heard of, and yes, they are vampires. It's so much fun and full of good humor and completely unbelievable but the story is gripping and I have read it more than once.
Brian Dickerson
Aug 23, 2011 Brian Dickerson rated it did not like it
Easily, one of the worst pieces of tripe I've ever read. It's the only time I've finished a book thinking "how bad can it get". It got pretty bad. Every cliche' you've ever seen in a vampire story was there.
The "surprise" ending felt more like a punchline.
The book's only redeeming quality is that it's thankfully a quick read.
E
Jun 28, 2007 E rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: fans of Lestat, or fans of outright cheese
Shelves: fantasy
Terrible tacky vampire cheese. Dated, circa mid-80s. Overblown and campy. You might not be able to admit to yourself how much you are enjoying it. And wow, is it terrible. In the best possible ways.
Snazzy Bazil
Jan 10, 2014 Snazzy Bazil rated it liked it
This book received three stars from me because overall I did enjoy it.
The historical figures intertwined into the story was a great treat for me. The words Romkey used to paint scenes in your mind were quite successful for me, they made me feel as though I were there.

My key issue with this book was towards the end during the battle. It seemed almost contrived, as though Romkey had run out of ways to have them fight it out in the end. From the buildup through the book I expected much, much more,
Jun 02, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok
I laugh every time I think about this book. Ridiculous.
ein Leichter
Apr 18, 2007 ein Leichter rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one
Shelves: never-finished
This was just too silly for me.
Denise Devine
Sep 16, 2015 Denise Devine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book!
Emily
Jul 09, 2012 Emily rated it liked it
We've all been there. Staring up at the top of the bookshelf, reading the mysterious titles with mounting curiosity, and finally constructing makeshift ladders in order to reach the books our parents didn't want us to notice. For me, I, Vampire was one of those books. I think I read it for the first time in sixth grade. I thought I was such a badass.
(side note: this book is extremely graphic, and I'm surprised I'm not permanently scarred by the experience of reading it).
It's an enjoyable read,
Ladiibbug
Nov 15, 2008 Ladiibbug rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Vampires in Historical Fiction
Very enjoyable, dense read - meaning lots of details and plot packed into each paragraph.

"I, Vampire" is the journey of an unhappy, highly successful attorney whose life is in a tailspin. Once he's turned into a vampire, not only must he adjust to life as a vampire, he finds himself thrown into a mysterious world that takes him from Chicago to Paris to Russia.

The newly turned vampire struggles with all kinds of philosophical questions -- Am I good? Am I evil? ...

In this fictional book, the vampi
Keelynn Hardy
Aug 21, 2014 Keelynn Hardy rated it it was ok
I think that the writing itself is actually pretty good, but the main character is hard to like. He's a bit like a Gary Stu in a sense, in that everything seems to happen without him really taking much action. When he does take action, well. . .it seems to be in the interest of using his mental powers to increase his chances with women. His character just doesn't even out very well in my opinion.
Betsy
Jul 05, 2011 Betsy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampires
I've always loved the idea of vampires in history, and historical figures as vampires, so I really liked this. I love the inclusion of Russian history (always a plus for me), and Victorian Britain (yeah...gotten into that lately. Thank you, Sherlock Holmes!).

Anyway, I haven't read a vampire book in a while, and this one was really good, I thought. Hard to get though...had to find it in a secondhand book shop. Hopefully the sequels will be easier to find. Only problem I had was the dating...the w
Jerry
Jul 24, 2011 Jerry rated it liked it
Shelves: vampire
This is an interesting novel with good points and bad. The story is mostly narrated by journal entries and other documents rather than by a narrator or the protagonists stream of consciousness. I find his living vampire theory to be well thought out and plausible without requiring "magic" or some other supernatural force. Unfortunately Romkey's ideas are better than his writing. I really wanted to like this novel more than I did.

If you are looking for a Vampire Romance novel, this isn't one (eve
Stephanie
Mar 19, 2016 Stephanie rated it did not like it
The author is a good writer but I can only fervently wish I had never read this. It contains scenes so vile and sickening that I will never be able to forget them.
Jes Jester
Nov 17, 2015 Jes Jester rated it really liked it
A good read for pre-Twilight vamp fans. I loved the use of real historical figures (especially my forever bad-boy love Cesare Borgia- even though he's a villain). I see that there are other books to this series and I can't wait to find them. Rasputin is a great character- his misunderstood-ness (is that a word?) and awesome powers of the mind made him the real hero for me.
I know the Borgia's were very bad people, but I'm obsessed with them and was happily surprised to see Lady Lucrezia and Cesar
Jo
Nov 01, 2010 Jo rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, horror, vampires
A vampire tale in the style of Anne Rice. David Parker, a disillusioned lawyer on the verge of suicide is saved by a Russian princess who turns him into a vampire. The novel is set out as his journal showing how he comes to terms with his vampire state, his dealings with other vampires and the human world. It's an old book so, as mentioned at the start, the vampires are reminiscent of Rice's Vampire Chronicles before the world's view of the undead was changed by Buffy and True Blood. It's sweepi ...more
Angela
I have to admit it's been several years since I read this book, but it's one of the few (relatively speaking) vampire novels that survived a mass purge a few years ago, so I must have really liked it. Here's the first paragraph or so, slightly edited:

"Women are my weakness. Or to be more accurate, I should say they are my greatest weakness, for I have many. Travel. Books. Classical music. Art. Excellent wine. And, formerly, cocaine...."

Now, how can you NOT like a book that starts out like that?
Mariah
Nov 16, 2008 Mariah rated it really liked it
I liked this book, but in a way it feels dated. Or perhaps it's just my macabre mind. I kept expecting the good guys to end up being bad guys and vice versa. Not sure why considering the historical figures involved, but I did. I'm very glad I read it. I think it should be more popular and more people who are into vampires should read this book. I think it's one I'll develop a keen appreciation for as I think about it more.
Chere
Feb 07, 2012 Chere rated it liked it
Shelves: horror, vampires
I think I would have better appreciated this novel had I read it around the time I bought my copy (12 years ago!), when I was at the height of my vampire obsession. Nevertheless, it was nice to read a different take on the vampire lore, and to follow the initiation of this modern vampire into his new life. The story is also filled with interesting vampire characters such as Mozart, Jack the Ripper and the Borgias.
Matthew Kelley
Feb 10, 2012 Matthew Kelley rated it really liked it
I'm not usually into books about vampires but this series is an exception. It takes an interesting look at vampire lore by introducing historical figures into the mix. If used by a less talented writer, this could easily written off as a marketing gimmick - however, Romkey excels at telling a gripping tale of love and loss well before the time when sparkling vampires were the accepted form of storytelling.
Gail
Jul 17, 2012 Gail rated it it was amazing
Shelves: vampire
This amazingly good read is why my addiction to vampires begun. I love the idea of historical figures being vampires. The story is a wonderful blend of romance, horror, science fiction, fantasy, and a touch of history, that I would recommend to any vampire fan. David Parker is an immortal, caught in the classic battle between good and evil, using his love of the arts and poetry to keep him moving forward.
Gwen
Apr 07, 2009 Gwen rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009-read, paranormal
David Parker states, "women are my weakness." I, Vampire, is a journal of how Parker became a vampire and the obstacles he must defeat to live and find his love. Parker experiences how his actions as a mortal and vampire produce negative and postive consequences. I enjoyed the inclusion of history woven throughout the story.
Grace Jensen
Jul 04, 2011 Grace Jensen rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anne Rice fans
I enjoyed this, especially the more current timeline. Plus, the author gets points for making a certain person vampire. ^_^
This doesn't really differ from Anne Rice much, in the respect of vampires as dead people with feelings. It was a good read, though I don't know if I will read it again.
Kim
Sep 03, 2009 Kim rated it liked it
This book started really slow....I had a tough time getting into it, which is probably why I've had it for so long(a year or so). Finally about 1/3 the way thru it picked up and now I'm looking forward to the ending. I'm almost there. I'm still not sure I'll go on with the series.
Naja
May 13, 2008 Naja rated it liked it
A typical "Woe is he who is beautiful and lives forever." story, that is horribly cliche in the whole vampire genre... but Michael Romkey takes the story and meshes it with familiar tidbits from history to make it something that is an enjoyable and quick read.
Tiffany O'Brien
Aug 21, 2011 Tiffany O'Brien rated it really liked it
Wow! The only book in history that ever made me look over my shoulder with the phrase (don't remember the exact quote but it was something like) "i could be silently coming up behind you now, and you'd never know..." And my back was to a wall at the time!
  • Mina
  • Shattered Glass (Austra Family, #1)
  • Lord of the Vampires (The Diaries of the Family Dracul, #3)
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • Vampire Junction
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Red Death (Jonathan Barrett, Gentleman Vampire, #1)
  • Dracula the Undead
  • Kiss of the Vampire (Creed, #1)
  • The Book of Common Dread (Vincent DeVilbiss, #1)
  • The Vampire Book
  • Hôtel Transylvania (Saint-Germain, #1)
  • Djevlekløften (Sagaen om Isfolket, #21)
  • Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Slave of My Thirst (aka  Supping With Panthers)
  • Blood Tears