I Shook Up the World: The Incredible Life of Muhammad Ali

I Shook Up the World: The Incredible Life of Muhammad Ali

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  4 ratings  ·  2 reviews
I Shook Up the World is an illustrated tribute to Muhammad Ali written by his oldest daughter, Maryum. The book tells Ali’s story from the beginning to the present—how he started boxing, earned an Olympic Gold Medal, won the heavyweight championship, worked for civil rights, and made a principled stand against the Vietnam War. Ali’s trademark...more
Published January 1st 2004 by Aladdin/Beyond Words (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about I Shook Up the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Shook Up the World

Phayvanh
Jun 24, 2008 Phayvanh rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: libraries
Recommended to Phayvanh by: library sale
Researching Ali, picked up this book at the latest library sale. We used to carry it at the bookstore I worked at. Written by his daughter, who assumes we know who Ali is, what boxing is (and how it differs from fighting in general) and why his life is so "inspiring".

This book is about as cardboard as the covers binding it. Illustrations, when modeled after photographs, are pale comparison, and when original are vague and half-hearted.

The most redeeming part of this book is the timeline at the e...more
Jacqueline
Strange layout with art that is a bit too overly detailed for my tastes. Good for an introduction to Ali but not as a story time read aloud.
Ryan
Ryan marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Tabres
Tabres added it
Jun 13, 2013
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Dec 16, 2012
Usama Mahmood
Usama Mahmood marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2012