Start by marking “Healing from Despair: Choosing Wholeness in a Broken World” as Want to Read:
Healing from Despair: Choosing Wholeness in a Broken World

Healing from Despair: Choosing Wholeness in a Broken World

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
The suffering that brings you to despair and even desperation can with healing become a source of hope, purpose and blessing.

Are you: Feeling anxious? Feeling depressed because of the loss of health, a relationship or a job? Grieving the loss of a loved one? Grieving loss by a suicide? Feeling hopeless? Concerned about a friend who has suicidal thoughts?

This wise and helpf
Published October 1st 2008 by Jewish Lights Publishing (first published August 31st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Healing from Despair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Healing from Despair

Elizabeth Fagin
Having very recently suffered a great loss in my life I found this book to be particularly comforting. While it is grounded in Jewish text and tradition, I think that the wisdom it offers it pretty universal. It is a quick read (I read it entirely in just a few hours) and offers some specific journaling ideas to focus on. It also has a great list of suggested reading.
Jacqueline
A hopeful book. That author shared his own story in a very inspirational way.

p. 139 "Our own moments of pain show us that a caring listener is a blessing. Through our own despair we may become a source of comfort and hope to others.

I also enjoyed the biblical references and their integration throughout.

p. 128 " The significance of the Exodus story for the Jewish people is that we can choose hope in times of despair, that the Promised Land waited us even while we were slaves in Egypt, that libe
Allie
Rabbi Spitz has written super sensitive and insightful book, a patchwork of Jewish thought and personal experiences exploring the role of despair in our lives and how it relates to purpose, forgiveness, suffering, and healing. Anyone who has been through despair will just totally know exactly what he is talking about. He really enlightened me on the mentality of despair and how all kinds of pressures and concerns can build up over time and lead to a breakdown at some unexpected point in life.

The
Shaina
Shaina added it
Dec 17, 2014
Daniel
Daniel added it
Nov 27, 2013
Chava
Chava is currently reading it
Jun 06, 2013
Todd
Todd added it
Apr 29, 2012
Fran
Fran marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2010
Ellen
Ellen marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2010
Does the Soul Survive?: A Jewish Journey to Belief in Afterlife, Past Lives & Living with Purpose