Start by marking “The Crow: The Lazarus Heart” as Want to Read:
The Crow: The Lazarus Heart

The Crow: The Lazarus Heart (The Crow Novels)

3.66 of 5 stars 3.66  ·  rating details  ·  1,094 ratings  ·  31 reviews
The Eternal OneAt our human limits, when we've gone asfor as flesh and imagination can take us, wemeet the Eternal One. The Crow.

Immemorially old, and inconsolable, he is there only for those who seek both revenge"and" love, and are willing to go alI theway--and beyond.

The Lazarus Heart

Five, four, three, two ... Jared Poe counts thedays on Louisiana's Death Row. The controversialS&M
Published May 5th 1999 by HarperEntertainment (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crow

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K. RowlingThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakBridge to Terabithia by Katherine PatersonThe Kite Runner by Khaled HosseiniMy Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult
Most emotional books
459th out of 683 books — 778 voters
It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyThe Shining by Stephen KingInterview with the Vampire by Anne RicePet Sematary by Stephen KingCarrie by Stephen King
Horrific Goodness
107th out of 112 books — 80 voters

More lists with this book...

Saki
It was by complete accident I came across this in a closing down bookshop sale. It was the book which started my love affair with Poppy Z. Brite's writing.
He has such a unique way with words and addresses some really out there issues in his writing. The books are always unique, macabre and beautiful...exactly what I like to read!

I feel as though this book could have stood on its own, without the attachment to 'The Crow' franchise and context, and still come across as a really great read.
Linda
I probably would have really dug this when I was 18. Unfortunately, I read it at about twice that age. What once would have seemed really goth and moving now comes across as trying too hard. Kudos for sympathetic portrayals of alternate sexuality, although one expects nothing less from Ms. Brite.
Miracle Hein
i went into this thinking i'd hate it, but i actually really enjoyed reading this one.
Christy Stewart
If Poppy Z. Brite and James O'Barr had a baby, that baby would be too good for you.
Tina
klar - man könnte denken - schon wieder eine "The Crow" story
aber ich finde sie großartig.
für mich neben der original verfilmung mit bandon lee gleichzustellen.

Jared Poe wird beschuldigt seinen Geliebten Benjamin DeBous auf grausame weise getötet zu haben.
Hintergrund des ganzen ist, dass in New Orleans ein Serientäter sein Unwesen treibt, der es sich zur Aufgabe gemacht hat, die Menschheit vor der Invasion der Schwulen und Transvestiten zu befreien.
Diese bestialischen Morde die er im Namen
Marie
I knew there were The Crow novels out there and I do have one, in German translation, that I didn’t really like so much when I picked it up. What I didn’t know is that Poppy Brite wrote one of them! So given my love for her other novels, I just had to have that one. Lazarus Heart plays in good old New Orleans and a storm is coming, a hurricane, to be precise. The whole story starts from a crow’s point of view, which is quite strange but turns out to be a clever beginning. The crow witnesses Jare ...more
Allison
This was fairly ridiculous and, by the author's admission, more commercially driven than it was a labor of love (nothing wrong with that--we all gotta eat). That said, PZB (now Billy Martin) is always entertaining and I have found the creative trajectory of this author/artist to be completely fascinating. This was one of the few of his previous efforts I'd yet to read, so I guess I can now cross it off the bucket list.
Kathryn
Pleh. This was NOT a great book. For obvious reasons, Poppy must have loved the whole Crow genre when she was writing her darker fiction. Unfortunately what came out of that was a lot of pretty imagery, and a story that went NOWHERE. Seriously, this had a deus ex machina wish-fulfillment ending that bugged the crap out of me. If you like blood and violence and angst-filled people wearing a lot of black, then you might like this. Nobody sets a stage better than Brite. But iff you like a little su ...more
Scotty Reynolds
not my favorite pzb by a long shot, and the climax was kind of a mess, but even a subpar pzb is a damn good read.
Danielle
Don't let the campiness factor of the Crow series persuade you to skip this one. The element of camp, and the 90s love affair with all things Gothic in full effect, is done in a way that strikes of nostalgia more than derivation. Gender-bending, unusual relationships and avante garde art are all aspects of the story.

All told, this tale features genuine creeping horror and an unique take on the crow legend.
Kit Salvage
A deliciously grotesque adventure involving the Crow. Poppy did an amazing job portraying a contraversial topic as the GBLT community and the fetish crowd. I truly loved this book, not only because it's the Crow but because it's a book that really grabbed my attention. I certainly do recomend this to any fan of the Crow and anyone who's a fan of gore and pshycological thrills.
Gloria
Apr 25, 2007 Gloria rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Crow fans
Shelves: fiction
This is probably the best of the Crow spin-off books. Poppy Z. Brite blends wonderful (though sometimes gruesome)imagery with the tale of a brother and sister (the sister is a transsexual) and their lover, and the road to redemption against their killer.

Can be hard to read at times, but read this over the other spin-off books.
Dan Verkys
Not the best crow adaptation getting around.
Eamon
Although it's one of "The Crow" series, Poppy Z Brite's own voice, language and style really come through in the novel, taking just the essential idea of the crow books. A nice addition to the early horror influenced works from Poppy, but perhaps not as strong as some of the others.
Mika
I expected more after reading Exquisite Corpse. Still enjoyed this book but found the story a bit weak and somewhat predictable. The plot was disappointing and the story felt rushed. I do like Poppy's writing style and appreciate the gruesome details.
Laura Morrigan
I loved the dark magic of New Orleans and characters such as Lucrece and the old man who runs the magic store, however, the sheer horror and disgust for the villain and the things he did made this book difficult to enjoy.
Chris Hutchinson
I am true enjoyer of anything that talks about the eternal love that one comes back for vengance. I love the spin that Poppy put on the storyline. It sits up there with James O'Barr's story. A great read.
Anna
Harrowing and not for the faint of heart, the novel is all Brite - beautifully written, weaving grisly reality and fantasy to a tragic, yet oddly inspiring, conclusion.
Randy Turner
Being the first Poppy Z.Brite book I have ever read I really enjoyed it. Beeing only 200+ page made it an interesting short book to read. I was suprised.
Rebecca
I read this in high school, but I actually remember thinking it was really good despite the fact that it's supposed to have something to do with the Crow.
Alejandro
An entertaining tie-in effort from Poppy Z. Brite. If you dig her writing or James O'Barr's Crow mythos, you won't be disappointed.
Emily
I can't believe I liked this franchise novel as much as I did, but it shocked me how brave Brite was with her characters and plot.
Tanya
I liked this book. The storyline works well within the Crow universe and the characters are interesting.
Dianne Hartsock
As gruesome and disturbing as expected. Brite with her best horror.
Aurora Desmond
This was a beautiful haunting tale about love and tragic loss.
Wendy
Re reading for about the 10th Time. I love this book!
Amanda
Apr 19, 2009 Amanda rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone who likes vampire stories.
Recommended to Amanda by: no one
another amazing book by Poppy. Fell in love with this!
Sharon Rose
I love all of poppy Z. Brites books!
Jenny
One of my favorite books. . .
milton
the beauty of tragic loss
  • The Crow: Flesh & Blood
  • The Crow:  Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams
  • The Crow: Quoth the Crow
  • Low Red Moon
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • Skin
  • Howl (includes: Leashed, #1)
  • Vampire Thrall (Vampires, #2)
  • The Call
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • Sky Tongues
  • Midnight Blue: Sonja Blue Collection
  • A Softer World: Truth and Beauty Bombs
  • Powerless Against You
  • Fire Season (Tales of the Darkworld, #3)
  • I Fell in Love with a Zombie
  • Discreet Young Gentleman
  • Visions of Heaven and Hell
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He
More about Poppy Z. Brite...
Lost Souls Drawing Blood Exquisite Corpse Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories Liquor