Start by marking “The Crow: The Lazarus Heart” as Want to Read:
The Crow: The Lazarus Heart

The Crow: The Lazarus Heart (The Crow Novels)

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,259 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
The Eternal OneAt our human limits, when we've gone asfor as flesh and imagination can take us, wemeet the Eternal One. The Crow.

Immemorially old, and inconsolable, he is there only for those who seek both revenge"and" love, and are willing to go alI theway--and beyond.

The Lazarus Heart

Five, four, three, two ... Jared Poe counts thedays on Louisiana's Death Row. The contro
Published May 5th 1999 by HarperEntertainment (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Crow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Crow

It Lives in The Basement by Sahara FoleyThe Shining by Stephen KingInterview with the Vampire by Anne RicePet Sematary by Stephen KingCarrie by Stephen King
Horrific Goodness
121st out of 126 books — 94 voters
The Crow by James O'BarrThe Crow by John WagnerThe Crow by Poppy Z. BriteThe Crow by Norman PartridgeThe Crow by S.P. Somtow
The Crow
3rd out of 22 books — 1 voter

More lists with this book...

Carly Nicholas
Jan 05, 2016 Carly Nicholas rated it it was amazing
A unique story The copy that I have of this book, is a pre-owned used copy but it's in relatively good condition, since it was very cheap and I was lucky to find a copy of it. This book is inspired and loosely based on the graphic novel The Crow by James O'Barr.I haven't read any books by this author before but I was pleasantly surprised, I really like the way the book was written the characters and the plot of the book. I have never read a book about a character that was resurrected and reanima ...more
Saki
Jul 04, 2012 Saki rated it it was amazing
It was by complete accident I came across this in a closing down bookshop sale. It was the book which started my love affair with Poppy Z. Brite's writing.
He has such a unique way with words and addresses some really out there issues in his writing. The books are always unique, macabre and beautiful...exactly what I like to read!

I feel as though this book could have stood on its own, without the attachment to 'The Crow' franchise and context, and still come across as a really great read.
Linda
Nov 12, 2007 Linda rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, psychopomps
I probably would have really dug this when I was 18. Unfortunately, I read it at about twice that age. What once would have seemed really goth and moving now comes across as trying too hard. Kudos for sympathetic portrayals of alternate sexuality, although one expects nothing less from Ms. Brite.
Karl
Jun 25, 2015 Karl marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
This leather bound hard cover is limited to 1000 signed copies.

The book is signed by:

Poppy Z. Brite
John Shirley
Miracle Hein
Jul 27, 2011 Miracle Hein rated it really liked it
i went into this thinking i'd hate it, but i actually really enjoyed reading this one.
Christy Stewart
If Poppy Z. Brite and James O'Barr had a baby, that baby would be too good for you.
Carly Nicholas
I haven't read any books by this author before but I was pleasantly surprised, I really like the way the book was written the characters and the plot of the book. I have never read a book about a character that was resurrected and reanimated after they
Tina
Dec 16, 2014 Tina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
klar - man könnte denken - schon wieder eine "The Crow" story
aber ich finde sie großartig.
für mich neben der original verfilmung mit bandon lee gleichzustellen.

Jared Poe wird beschuldigt seinen Geliebten Benjamin DeBous auf grausame weise getötet zu haben.
Hintergrund des ganzen ist, dass in New Orleans ein Serientäter sein Unwesen treibt, der es sich zur Aufgabe gemacht hat, die Menschheit vor der Invasion der Schwulen und Transvestiten zu befreien.
Diese bestialischen Morde die er im Namen
Marie
Dec 22, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mine, read-in-2012
I knew there were The Crow novels out there and I do have one, in German translation, that I didn’t really like so much when I picked it up. What I didn’t know is that Poppy Brite wrote one of them! So given my love for her other novels, I just had to have that one. Lazarus Heart plays in good old New Orleans and a storm is coming, a hurricane, to be precise. The whole story starts from a crow’s point of view, which is quite strange but turns out to be a clever beginning. The crow witnesses Jare ...more
Allison Floyd
Mar 11, 2014 Allison Floyd rated it liked it
This was fairly ridiculous and, by the author's admission, more commercially driven than it was a labor of love (nothing wrong with that--we all gotta eat). That said, PZB (now Billy Martin) is always entertaining and I have found the creative trajectory of this author/artist to be completely fascinating. This was one of the few of his previous efforts I'd yet to read, so I guess I can now cross it off the bucket list.
verbava
Sep 24, 2015 verbava rated it liked it
і поппі брайт, і "ворона-месника" (пам'ятаєте це скажено готичне кіно?) я люблю за атмосферу. проте якраз атмосфери в цій книжці виявилося мало. звісно, тут є цілий букет андрогінних готів, які в основному вмирають, і поетичні описи результатів роботи вбивці-маньяка, але все воно якесь трошки вимушене. мовчу вже про те, що вершити помсту, вдягшись у латекс, має бути доволі незручно.
Kathryn
May 08, 2008 Kathryn rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, horror
Pleh. This was NOT a great book. For obvious reasons, Poppy must have loved the whole Crow genre when she was writing her darker fiction. Unfortunately what came out of that was a lot of pretty imagery, and a story that went NOWHERE. Seriously, this had a deus ex machina wish-fulfillment ending that bugged the crap out of me. If you like blood and violence and angst-filled people wearing a lot of black, then you might like this. Nobody sets a stage better than Brite. But iff you like a little su ...more
Scotty Reynolds
Nov 14, 2014 Scotty Reynolds rated it liked it
not my favorite pzb by a long shot, and the climax was kind of a mess, but even a subpar pzb is a damn good read.
Danielle
Jun 30, 2014 Danielle rated it liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Don't let the campiness factor of the Crow series persuade you to skip this one. The element of camp, and the 90s love affair with all things Gothic in full effect, is done in a way that strikes of nostalgia more than derivation. Gender-bending, unusual relationships and avante garde art are all aspects of the story.

All told, this tale features genuine creeping horror and an unique take on the crow legend.
Kit Blyth
Mar 05, 2016 Kit Blyth rated it it was amazing
A deliciously grotesque adventure involving the Crow. Poppy did an amazing job portraying a contraversial topic as the GBLT community and the fetish crowd. I truly loved this book, not only because it's the Crow but because it's a book that really grabbed my attention. I certainly do recomend this to any fan of the Crow and anyone who's a fan of gore and pshycological thrills.
Gloria
Apr 25, 2007 Gloria rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Crow fans
Shelves: fiction
This is probably the best of the Crow spin-off books. Poppy Z. Brite blends wonderful (though sometimes gruesome)imagery with the tale of a brother and sister (the sister is a transsexual) and their lover, and the road to redemption against their killer.

Can be hard to read at times, but read this over the other spin-off books.
Dan Verkys
May 16, 2014 Dan Verkys rated it it was ok
Not the best crow adaptation getting around.
Eamon
Feb 06, 2011 Eamon rated it liked it
Although it's one of "The Crow" series, Poppy Z Brite's own voice, language and style really come through in the novel, taking just the essential idea of the crow books. A nice addition to the early horror influenced works from Poppy, but perhaps not as strong as some of the others.
Mika
Aug 25, 2013 Mika rated it liked it
I expected more after reading Exquisite Corpse. Still enjoyed this book but found the story a bit weak and somewhat predictable. The plot was disappointing and the story felt rushed. I do like Poppy's writing style and appreciate the gruesome details.
Laura Morrigan
I loved the dark magic of New Orleans and characters such as Lucrece and the old man who runs the magic store, however, the sheer horror and disgust for the villain and the things he did made this book difficult to enjoy.
Chris Hutchinson
Mar 13, 2013 Chris Hutchinson rated it it was amazing
I am true enjoyer of anything that talks about the eternal love that one comes back for vengance. I love the spin that Poppy put on the storyline. It sits up there with James O'Barr's story. A great read.
Anna
Jun 03, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Harrowing and not for the faint of heart, the novel is all Brite - beautifully written, weaving grisly reality and fantasy to a tragic, yet oddly inspiring, conclusion.
Randy Turner
Mar 28, 2013 Randy Turner rated it liked it
Being the first Poppy Z.Brite book I have ever read I really enjoyed it. Beeing only 200+ page made it an interesting short book to read. I was suprised.
Rebecca
Jun 30, 2007 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: pre-2007
I read this in high school, but I actually remember thinking it was really good despite the fact that it's supposed to have something to do with the Crow.
Alejandro
Mar 06, 2011 Alejandro rated it liked it
Shelves: horror
An entertaining tie-in effort from Poppy Z. Brite. If you dig her writing or James O'Barr's Crow mythos, you won't be disappointed.
Emily
Jul 22, 2007 Emily rated it really liked it
I can't believe I liked this franchise novel as much as I did, but it shocked me how brave Brite was with her characters and plot.
Tanya
Jul 28, 2013 Tanya rated it liked it
Shelves: owned-books
I liked this book. The storyline works well within the Crow universe and the characters are interesting.
Dianne Hartsock
Jan 14, 2011 Dianne Hartsock rated it liked it
As gruesome and disturbing as expected. Brite with her best horror.
Aurora Desmond
Oct 22, 2013 Aurora Desmond rated it it was amazing
This was a beautiful haunting tale about love and tragic loss.
Wendy
Oct 05, 2010 Wendy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-reading
Re reading for about the 10th Time. I love this book!
  • The Crow: Clash by Night
  • The Crow: Flesh & Blood
  • The Crow:  Shattered Lives & Broken Dreams
  • The Crow: Quoth the Crow
  • No Place For Us
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • The Magazine of Bizarro Fiction (Issue One)
  • Vampire Thrall (Vampires, #2)
  • Low Red Moon
  • Ransom (Royal Navy, #1)
  • A Softer World: Truth and Beauty Bombs
  • The Mormon and the Dom (Mormon-Dom #1)
  • Accessible Love Stories
  • Trapped Nerves
  • Bitten (Bite, #2)
  • Piecemeal June
  • The Lion's Share (Leashed #3)
  • Fix This, Sir (Tales from Rainbow Alley, #3)
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He
More about Poppy Z. Brite...

The Crow Novels (6 books)
  • The Crow: Quoth the Crow