Start by marking “The Art & Soul of Baking” as Want to Read:
The Art & Soul of Baking

The Art & Soul of Baking

4.2  ·  Rating Details ·  1,401 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
2009 IACP Cookbook Awards Winner

Nominated for a 2009 James Beard Foundation Award.

Sur La Table teamed with pastry chef and baking teacher Cindy Mushet to bring you the ultimate guide to baking. Beautiful photographs and more than 250 easy-to-follow recipes lead you into a world of alluring aromas and light, flaky pastries. Illustrated asides take you step by step through

Published October 21st 2008 by Andrews McMeel Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Art & Soul of Baking, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Art & Soul of Baking

Salsabrarian
Has the tips for making a flaky crust (p. 168)
Teri
Oct 25, 2008 Teri rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Teri by: Sur la Table
Shelves: recipes
Oscar and I went to a Pie class at Sur la Table which used recipes from this book. Tasted the herbed chicken pot pie, roasted butternut squash-onion pie, chocolate silk pie, lattice-top nectarine-blackberry pie(frozen peaches used since nectarines are not in season) and Oscar and I made (and tasted)the peach-gingerbread dumplings (apples were used since fresh peaches are not in season).The dough was great, it was a cream cheese dough that was easy to work with. Tasted good too.
Everything was yu
Diane
Mar 05, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing
I'll be "currently reading" this for some time! So far I've made the Cinnamon-Streusel Sour Cream Coffee Cake and Gingerbread Scones - both truly yummy. I've always liked to cook but have never done much baking. Fortunately, I have people willing to dispose of most of the evidence before it alters my health and shape permanently (I hope) - taking off current shelf because it's a reference book, really. Still loving it, although I need to go shopping for some kitchen items I don't have - such as ...more
Dawn
Feb 25, 2009 Dawn rated it it was amazing
This was a fantastic book. It's full of good recipes, but more importantly, it's full of good solid information about ingredients, different types of baked goods, process, and variations. Each section of the book has a whole food science introduction that tells you how that particular type of baked good works, how you make it, and things to watch out for. Highly recommended for anyone who wants to do lots of baking and be able to figure out why things do or don't turn out.
Lizzy
Jan 27, 2013 Lizzy rated it it was amazing
4 out of 5 recipes I've made were huge hits and had to be made twice--for me, that's the mark of a good cookbook, and I've been studying them for a few months now. I recommend the pumpkin walnut bread (with frosting), maple pecan sticky buns, and the croissants (loads of work, but definitely worth it).
Hazel
May 28, 2013 Hazel rated it it was amazing
I love this book for having measurements by weight (I decided to no longer accept baking books without them). There are some clever flavor combos and some very good basic recipes. I do not utilize it as much as I think I would. But I always pull it out and look at it for inspiration.

I would totally recommend it as an interesting basic if you are a baking novice.
Caroline
Very pretty cookbook with pretty pictures, but nothing really excited me to be honest. I don't think this is the book's fault at all. It does have a lot of good information--the tip section that accompanies each recipe is very helpful. I might give it another shot if I see it at the library again.
Ashley
Nov 12, 2010 Ashley rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
A wealth of classic baking recipes, with detailed instructions, easy variations, and introductory pages to help understand measuring and more. Worth reading through from beginning to end, especially for the beginning student baker. Advanced bakers can still learn much from this book.
Liz De Coster
Feb 05, 2009 Liz De Coster rated it liked it
Shelves: food
This book was gorgeous to look at, but there wasn't a lot that jumped out of me. Most of the recipes seemed more involved than I'm interested in, although some of the flavor combinations might be worth trying.
Sandie
Dec 31, 2012 Sandie rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
I made the lemon marscapone layer cake for Christmas. Very light and tasty. I am an experienced baker and had no trouble with this (I made the marscapone as well) but I would not recommend this for a beginner. There are some helpful hints for beginners peppered throughout the book though.
Mandy
Jan 07, 2009 Mandy rated it really liked it
After spending some time flipping through the library copy of this, I quickly decided to add it to my Amazon wishlist and return it. Its a great reference resource that I look forward to exploring more. My only gripe is its unwieldy size.
Christine
Jul 15, 2016 Christine rated it liked it
Lots of great recipes and even more great information! Some recipes are a miss for me, but I still find myself reaching for this cookbook for certain favorites.
Hannah
Nov 04, 2011 Hannah added it
good grief, do i need to open a bakery or what??? srsly, there is a baci tart recipe in there... with a chocolate carmel tart shell.
Shelbi B
Jan 24, 2014 Shelbi B rated it it was amazing
This is probably one of the best baking books to have it gives tips and hints that most cookbooks leave out. Love this book!!
Siena
Siena rated it liked it
May 03, 2015
Jamie Tan
Jamie Tan rated it liked it
Aug 25, 2013
Kali
Kali rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2014
Patty Price
Patty Price rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
JomJam Chawaiket
JomJam Chawaiket rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Angel Hill
Angel Hill rated it it was amazing
Aug 27, 2016
Empress
Empress rated it really liked it
Oct 06, 2009
Sohaila Zeid
Sohaila Zeid rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2012
Brandy
Brandy rated it it was amazing
Feb 07, 2012
Lud Thẹo
Lud Thẹo rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2014
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Aug 24, 2016
Mariam
Mariam rated it it was amazing
May 07, 2014
Hope C.
Hope C. rated it it was amazing
Apr 23, 2013
Petra Hlávková
Petra Hlávková rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Aryana Rasmussen
Aryana Rasmussen rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Maria
Maria rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2012
  • Baking
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • The Professional Pastry Chef: Fundamentals of Baking and Pastry
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Kaffeehaus: Exquisite Desserts from the Classic Cafés of Vienna, Budapest and Prague
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Chocolates and Confections: Formula, Theory, and Technique for the Artisan Confectioner
  • Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Southern Cakes: Sweet and Irresistible Recipes for Everyday Celebrations