Start by marking “The Devil You Know” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  464 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
THE NEW SHORT STORY COLLECTION BY POPPY Z. BRITE
Published August 1st 2005 by Gauntlet Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Life is a Circus Run by a Platypus by Allison HawnHouse of Leaves by Mark Z. DanielewskiCoraline by Neil GaimanA Clockwork Orange by Anthony BurgessAlice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Bizarre books
100th out of 229 books — 277 voters
Smoke and Mirrors by Neil GaimanFragile Things by Neil GaimanThe Martian Chronicles by Ray BradburyHeroika 1 by Janet E. MorrisThe Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke
Best Fantasy Short Story Collections
270th out of 337 books — 272 voters

More lists with this book...

Bark's Book Nonsense
Apr 06, 2011 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Initially I was disappointed to learn that Poppy Z. Brite had decided to leave her gothic fantasy world of New Orlean’s far behind in exchange for a toned down look at life from the point of view of the regular folks inhabiting New Orleans (mostly gay, hard-working cooks).

I really enjoyed those dark, graphically violent books ~ especially Exquisite Corpse (hmmm, what does that say about me?!). But once I began this book I found myself enjoying her new style which is much less purple in its pros
Stéphanie
Jul 28, 2011 Stéphanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: nouvelles
Comme souvent dans un recueil de nouvelles, les histoires sont malheureusement de qualité inégale. Celui-ci ne déroge pas à la règle. Ici les seules nouvelles qui soient vraiment dignes d'intérêt sont celles mettant en scène Ricky et G-Man, nos deux cuistots de la Nouvelle-Orléans de ses excellents romans Liquor et Prime, que l'on retrouve ici avec grand plaisirs. Les nouvelles concernant la coroner gastronome Brite ne sont pas totalement désagréables non plus, mais elles ne sont pas non plus d' ...more
Jesse
May 22, 2015 Jesse rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brite's third short story collection. As he states in the introduction, this collection serves as a bridge between his early gothic horror work and his later New Orleans culinary lit stuff. Surprisingly, everything flows together very well, and some stories even successfully capture a mix of the two styles, such as the Dr. Brite story "the Heart of New Orleans" and the Rickey and G-Man story "Bayou de la Mere". There's also some early Rickey and G-Man stuff, along with some fantastic echoes of h ...more
Louis
Apr 23, 2008 Louis rated it it was amazing
A criminally overlooked collection from the exceptional independent imprint, Subterranean Press, this is Poppy Brite at her finest in my opinion. None of this is easy to categorize, just good story telliing, done with heart and soul and a rare instinct for rooting out the truth beneath the surface of every day things. Contains my very favorite Poppy Brite story, "The Heart of New Orleans. " Highly recommended.
Ronn
Nov 19, 2014 Ronn rated it really liked it
If you read Ms Brite's introduction, you might come away with the idea that these are second rate stories, unsuitable for any other volume, or collected together only to fulfill a contractual obligation or some this like that. These would be wholly incorrect assumptions. These stories are wonderful! Yes, there is some uneven-ness, but that is to be expected in any short story collection. I found them all to be thoroughly engaging. I am going to seek out more.
Writerlibrarian
Apr 05, 2008 Writerlibrarian rated it liked it
Shelves: read2005
Poppy Brite est une des figures marquantes de la littérature américaine alternative des années 90. Grande star de la littérature gothique, elle met en scène, sexe, drogue et rock and roll dans un Nouvelle Orléans remplie de vampires et de créatures étranges puis blasée par les restrictions que son succès lui impose, Brite, reprend la plume mais dans un genre aux antipodes de son genre habituel. Le résultat: des recueils de nouvelles incises, avec le charme hypnotisant d’un cobra.

Brite continue à
Camilla
Feb 19, 2015 Camilla rated it liked it
anything for more stories involving ricky & g-man.
Kathryn
I'm not sure why, but the only collection of Poppy Z. Brite's short stories that I've really liked has been "Wormwood". The rest, well...I think most of the stories originated when Poppy started to get out of her goth-like stories, and moved on to foodie fiction. Nothing wrong with the foodie fiction of course, but they just aren't as appealing to me as her earlier works.

I enjoyed "Burn Baby Burn", mostly because it was about a familiar character. But that was about it.
Gef
Sep 24, 2010 Gef rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
New Orleans and food: if you love either of these, then chances are you'll get a kick out of this short story collection. Brite meanders from grotesqueries, to comedies, to tragedies. And she does it all with a rather soft-spoken style that gives an ethereal quality to many of the stories. Oddly enough, one of my personal favorites from the collection features a character she didn't even create, but rather a character from the "Hellboy" universe. Good stuff.
Niki
Jan 05, 2013 Niki rated it liked it
This collection of short stories is a quick read, and fans of Brite's previous works will appreciate the combination of foodie culture and horror aesthetic in some of the yarns. Some of the stories read more like character sketches or scenes than complete tales, but Brite's writing is as strong as ever, with great descriptions of how things look, smell, and taste.
Kelly Jacqueline
Aug 25, 2010 Kelly Jacqueline rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of short stories by Poppy Z. Brite. Each one held my interest; there wasn't a boring story in the bunch. These stories ran the gamut from horror/supernatural to restaurant culture, and a few actually combined both subjects. Highly recommended!
Hanna
Apr 13, 2010 Hanna rated it it was ok
Surprisingly disturbing short stories from New Orleans including cannibalism vs. being a foodie and the Devil being a genteel Mr. William (Bill) Z. Bubb owning an over-sized black cat that he cannot quite control.
Apr 03, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was ok
Shelves: short-stories
I was interested to read this because New Orleans is so fascinating. But I was disappointed. The last story was the best, with Brite enjoying the characters from her Liquor novels.
Anki
Sep 15, 2009 Anki rated it it was amazing
A collection of short stories set in and around New Orleans. These stories made me want to read Poppy Z Brite latest novels, the ones that aren't about vampires.
Deborah
Jul 07, 2010 Deborah rated it liked it
These PZB New Orleans books were perfect while orchestrating a move, amongst all of life's other goings-on.
Rita O'connell
Jan 03, 2015 Rita O'connell rated it liked it
A little strange, but still a good read.
Emily Moore
Mar 07, 2012 Emily Moore rated it liked it
Shelves: print, gay
Cam
Cam marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Chelsea Flint
Chelsea Flint marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Emma
Emma added it
Jan 27, 2016
Kei
Kei rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Sonya
Sonya rated it liked it
Jan 22, 2016
Agnes
Agnes added it
Jan 21, 2016
Kolby MacLennan
Kolby MacLennan rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Justin
Justin rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2016
Brandy
Brandy rated it really liked it
Jan 11, 2016
Eline Van Den Brink
Eline Van Den Brink rated it it was amazing
Jan 08, 2016
Wendy Mayorga Segura
Wendy Mayorga Segura marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2016
Simon Salonen
Simon Salonen rated it it was ok
Jan 02, 2016
  • Low Red Moon
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • Splatterpunks II: Over the Edge
  • Borderlands 1
  • Extremities
  • Control Freak
  • Do You Know What It Means to Miss New Orleans?
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • Drowning Ophelia (Drowning Ophelia, #1)
  • Frenchmen, Desire, Good Children: . . . and Other Streets of New Orleans!
  • The Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth
  • The Basic Kafka
  • The Face That Must Die
  • Hello, New York: An Illustrated Love Letter to the Five Boroughs
  • The Storm: What Went Wrong and Why During Hurricane Katrina--the Inside Story from One Louisiana Scientist
  • Junko Mizuno's Hansel And Gretel (Viz Graphic Novel)
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He
More about Poppy Z. Brite...