Start by marking “The Devil You Know” as Want to Read:
The Devil You Know

The Devil You Know

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  417 ratings  ·  14 reviews
THE NEW SHORT STORY COLLECTION BY POPPY Z. BRITE
Published August 1st 2005 by Gauntlet Press (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Devil You Know, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Devil You Know

Barks & Bites
Initially I was disappointed to learn that Poppy Z. Brite had decided to leave her gothic fantasy world of New Orlean’s far behind in exchange for a toned down look at life from the point of view of the regular folks inhabiting New Orleans (mostly gay, hard-working cooks).

I really enjoyed those dark, graphically violent books ~ especially Exquisite Corpse (hmmm, what does that say about me?!). But once I began this book I found myself enjoying her new style which is much less purple in its pros...more
Stéphanie
Comme souvent dans un recueil de nouvelles, les histoires sont malheureusement de qualité inégale. Celui-ci ne déroge pas à la règle. Ici les seules nouvelles qui soient vraiment dignes d'intérêt sont celles mettant en scène Ricky et G-Man, nos deux cuistots de la Nouvelle-Orléans de ses excellents romans Liquor et Prime, que l'on retrouve ici avec grand plaisirs. Les nouvelles concernant la coroner gastronome Brite ne sont pas totalement désagréables non plus, mais elles ne sont pas non plus d'...more
Louis
A criminally overlooked collection from the exceptional independent imprint, Subterranean Press, this is Poppy Brite at her finest in my opinion. None of this is easy to categorize, just good story telliing, done with heart and soul and a rare instinct for rooting out the truth beneath the surface of every day things. Contains my very favorite Poppy Brite story, "The Heart of New Orleans. " Highly recommended.
Writerlibrarian
Poppy Brite est une des figures marquantes de la littérature américaine alternative des années 90. Grande star de la littérature gothique, elle met en scène, sexe, drogue et rock and roll dans un Nouvelle Orléans remplie de vampires et de créatures étranges puis blasée par les restrictions que son succès lui impose, Brite, reprend la plume mais dans un genre aux antipodes de son genre habituel. Le résultat: des recueils de nouvelles incises, avec le charme hypnotisant d’un cobra.

Brite continue à...more
Kathryn
I'm not sure why, but the only collection of Poppy Z. Brite's short stories that I've really liked has been "Wormwood". The rest, well...I think most of the stories originated when Poppy started to get out of her goth-like stories, and moved on to foodie fiction. Nothing wrong with the foodie fiction of course, but they just aren't as appealing to me as her earlier works.

I enjoyed "Burn Baby Burn", mostly because it was about a familiar character. But that was about it.
Gef
New Orleans and food: if you love either of these, then chances are you'll get a kick out of this short story collection. Brite meanders from grotesqueries, to comedies, to tragedies. And she does it all with a rather soft-spoken style that gives an ethereal quality to many of the stories. Oddly enough, one of my personal favorites from the collection features a character she didn't even create, but rather a character from the "Hellboy" universe. Good stuff.
Niki
This collection of short stories is a quick read, and fans of Brite's previous works will appreciate the combination of foodie culture and horror aesthetic in some of the yarns. Some of the stories read more like character sketches or scenes than complete tales, but Brite's writing is as strong as ever, with great descriptions of how things look, smell, and taste.
Kelly Jacqueline
An excellent collection of short stories by Poppy Z. Brite. Each one held my interest; there wasn't a boring story in the bunch. These stories ran the gamut from horror/supernatural to restaurant culture, and a few actually combined both subjects. Highly recommended!
Hanna
Surprisingly disturbing short stories from New Orleans including cannibalism vs. being a foodie and the Devil being a genteel Mr. William (Bill) Z. Bubb owning an over-sized black cat that he cannot quite control.
I was interested to read this because New Orleans is so fascinating. But I was disappointed. The last story was the best, with Brite enjoying the characters from her Liquor novels.
Anki
A collection of short stories set in and around New Orleans. These stories made me want to read Poppy Z Brite latest novels, the ones that aren't about vampires.
Deborah
These PZB New Orleans books were perfect while orchestrating a move, amongst all of life's other goings-on.
Emily Moore
Nita
Nita added it
Oct 18, 2014
Amy Norfleet
Amy Norfleet marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
Tim
Tim added it
Oct 16, 2014
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Sergio Aldana
Sergio Aldana marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Kamale
Kamale marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2014
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
  • Murder of Angels (Silk, #2)
  • In the Mean Time
  • Skin
  • Borderlands 1
  • Black Butterflies
  • The Drive-in 2
  • At the Gates of the Animal Kingdom: Stories
  • October Dreams: A Celebration of Halloween
  • The Ghosts of Blood and Innocence (Wraeththu Histories, #3)
  • The Gospel of the Living Dead: George Romero's Visions of Hell on Earth
  • Not Flesh Nor Feathers (Eden Moore, #3)
  • Back to Barbary Lane: The Tales of the City Omnibus (Tales of the City, #4-6)
  • The Real Thing: Stories and Sketches
  • A Pretty Mouth
  • The Chains That You Refuse
  • Totally Tangled: Zentangle and Beyond
Poppy Z. Brite (born Melissa Ann Brite, now going by Billy Martin) is an American author born in New Orleans, Louisiana.

Born a biological female, Brite has written and talked much about his gender dysphoria/gender identity issues. He self-identifies almost completely as a homosexual male rather than female, and as of 2011 has started taking testosterone injections. His male name is Billy Martin.

He...more
More about Poppy Z. Brite...
Lost Souls Drawing Blood Exquisite Corpse Wormwood: A Collection of Short Stories Liquor