Start by marking “Donald Has a Difficulty” as Want to Read:
Donald Has a Difficulty

Donald Has a Difficulty

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  556 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
This is the story of a boy named Donald who enlists his wise mother's aid in removing a splinter. She tells him to think of markets, and strings, and battles, and he therefore doesn't feel its removal. However, when she calls him back to treat the wound, he forgets to think of those things and feels the sting.
Published March 1st 2004 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Donald Has a Difficulty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donald Has a Difficulty

Bark's Book Nonsense
Jan 04, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it really liked it
This is one eerie little children's book. I am the non-squeamish one in my household which means splinter duty as well as tooth pulling, doggie leg infection draining (don't ask) and any other grossity usually falls upon me so this book really appeals to me.

I love the creepy, atmospheric drawings. The creepiest being the pillow carrying scene, followed by the alcohol on the fresh wound. Momma's intent in both cases looks a bit devious to me . . .

Recommend to creepy children everywhere.
Dan
Donald and the… is another book by Peter F. Neumeyer and Edward Gorey in which the grim style deployed in Gorey’s pictures functions to undermine readers’ expectations with regard to the conventions of representation typically employed in children’s books. Moreover, the story raises many questions that it does not answer. For instance, although Donald’s mother is an important character both in this book and in Donald Has a Difficulty, Donald’s father is not mentioned, nor is the reader told wher ...more
Katie
Apr 30, 2015 Katie rated it really liked it
Shelves: weird, art
A strange little illustrated book from 1970. I wouldn't know what to think of it, except for the helpful afterward that contextualizes the collaboration between Neumeyer and Gorey. It explains that the concept for the Donald books comes from a Borges story--which, once you hear this, makes so much sense! Once you understand the work as having "no point except [its] own existence" you can appreciate it for the strange little thing it is--a work of art, and not necessarily a children's book, or so ...more
Dan
May 06, 2010 Dan rated it liked it
In addition to narrating how Donald has a splinter removed from his knee, Donald Has a Difficulty comments on the power of the imagination. Peter F. Neumeyer’s story is appropriate for small children; however, Gorey’s pictures will also be of interest for older readers because of the fictional world they represent. In addition to the size of the furniture, for instance, the absence of toys from the pictures implies that Donald lives among surroundings that were not constructed with children in m ...more
Kim
Jul 03, 2012 Kim rated it really liked it
Floating Worlds: The Letters of Edward Gorey & Peter F. Neumeyer goes into so much detail about all of the conversations behind the creation of the Donald books that I just had to pick up my own copies of Donald And The... / Donald Has A Difficulty, and they are both such treasures. Any excuse to pore over Edward Gorey's marvelous illustrations, and the quirky stories by Neumeyer are just an added bonus.
Kim
Cynthia
J'ai découvert Edward Gorey grâce à une pièce de théâtre jeune public. Les dessins sont sobres, soignés, minimalistes. Les aventures de Donald sont atypiques et c'est un bonheur.
Elizabeth
Feb 21, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was ok
I spent several minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get the pages separated so that I could read the first page.

Donald gets a splinter and his mother takes it out...maybe I should find the first Donald book, or maybe I should just admit that something are strange enough that even I don't really appreciate them.
Jenny
May 12, 2009 Jenny rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Thought the story was kind of different and somewhat strange story, but since my 3 year old hates when I use hydrogen peroxide on his cuts and scrapes, it was a very fitting story that he especially related to and liked!
Bethany
Aug 27, 2007 Bethany rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, childrenslit, humorous
Edward Gorey's work is always delightful, and this little book is no different. Donald's misadventures buoy him through a dull, quiet, upper-class life, and this installment presents us with tales of metamorphosis. Charming!
Susan Greve
Jan 16, 2009 Susan Greve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
given to me by something special. en lieu with Colette. children are heartbreakingly wonderful. it is powerful to remember that I have an imagination and it is just as legit as this (so called) reality.
SmarterLilac
Jan 26, 2011 SmarterLilac rated it liked it
Cute. Could be a useful too to help reduce children's fears of disinfectants; curious, as I don't think of Gorey as an author who helps reduce anyone's fears.
Polly
Aug 22, 2012 Polly rated it really liked it
A very odd little book--which is not to say I don't like it, because I do; odd can be excellent, and it is in this case!
Melody
Sep 15, 2007 Melody rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twisted little story about the small white worm Donald finds at the bottom of the trash can, illustrated by the inimitable Gorey.
Teresa Gashler
Feb 15, 2015 Teresa Gashler rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book made me laugh in a way that I can't describe. That might not be a good thing, but it made me happy at least.
Lilian
Jul 27, 2012 Lilian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely, wicked little "children's" book. It's what I expected Gorey would have illustrated.
Melonknee62
Mar 21, 2013 Melonknee62 rated it it was amazing
Excellent & awkward story with beautiful illustrations by Edward Gorey!
Haley
Jul 07, 2015 Haley rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hilariously weird and strangely adorable.
Janel
Jan 29, 2008 Janel rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: noone
Pretty drawings. Lame story.
Selenita
Yikes!
TN
Jul 25, 2013 TN rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: children, adults
stunning.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2016
Pirita
Pirita rated it liked it
Feb 06, 2016
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Ree Ree
Ree Ree marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2016
karen kienenberger
karen kienenberger rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Zairah Marie
Zairah Marie marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2016
Robby
Robby added it
Jan 24, 2016
Nita
Nita rated it really liked it
Jan 23, 2016