Start by marking “Donald Has a Difficulty” as Want to Read:
Donald Has a Difficulty

Donald Has a Difficulty

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  490 ratings  ·  18 reviews
This is the story of a boy named Donald who enlists his wise mother's aid in removing a splinter. She tells him to think of markets, and strings, and battles, and he therefore doesn't feel its removal. However, when she calls him back to treat the wound, he forgets to think of those things and feels the sting.
Published March 1st 2004 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 1982)

To ask other readers questions about Donald Has a Difficulty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Donald Has a Difficulty

Dan
Donald and the… is another book by Peter F. Neumeyer and Edward Gorey in which the grim style deployed in Gorey’s pictures functions to undermine readers’ expectations with regard to the conventions of representation typically employed in children’s books. Moreover, the story raises many questions that it does not answer. For instance, although Donald’s mother is an important character both in this book and in Donald Has a Difficulty, Donald’s father is not mentioned, nor is the reader told wher ...more
Bark's Book Nonsense
This is one eerie little children's book. I am the non-squeamish one in my household which means splinter duty as well as tooth pulling, doggie leg infection draining (don't ask) and any other grossity usually falls upon me so this book really appeals to me.

I love the creepy, atmospheric drawings. The creepiest being the pillow carrying scene, followed by the alcohol on the fresh wound. Momma's intent in both cases looks a bit devious to me . . .

Recommend to creepy children everywhere.
Dan
In addition to narrating how Donald has a splinter removed from his knee, Donald Has a Difficulty comments on the power of the imagination. Peter F. Neumeyer’s story is appropriate for small children; however, Gorey’s pictures will also be of interest for older readers because of the fictional world they represent. In addition to the size of the furniture, for instance, the absence of toys from the pictures implies that Donald lives among surroundings that were not constructed with children in m ...more
Kim
Floating Worlds: The Letters of Edward Gorey & Peter F. Neumeyer goes into so much detail about all of the conversations behind the creation of the Donald books that I just had to pick up my own copies of Donald And The... / Donald Has A Difficulty, and they are both such treasures. Any excuse to pore over Edward Gorey's marvelous illustrations, and the quirky stories by Neumeyer are just an added bonus.
Kim
Cynthia
J'ai découvert Edward Gorey grâce à une pièce de théâtre jeune public. Les dessins sont sobres, soignés, minimalistes. Les aventures de Donald sont atypiques et c'est un bonheur.
Elizabeth
I spent several minutes trying to figure out why I couldn't get the pages separated so that I could read the first page.

Donald gets a splinter and his mother takes it out...maybe I should find the first Donald book, or maybe I should just admit that something are strange enough that even I don't really appreciate them.
Jenny
Thought the story was kind of different and somewhat strange story, but since my 3 year old hates when I use hydrogen peroxide on his cuts and scrapes, it was a very fitting story that he especially related to and liked!
Bethany
Edward Gorey's work is always delightful, and this little book is no different. Donald's misadventures buoy him through a dull, quiet, upper-class life, and this installment presents us with tales of metamorphosis. Charming!
Susan Greve
given to me by something special. en lieu with Colette. children are heartbreakingly wonderful. it is powerful to remember that I have an imagination and it is just as legit as this (so called) reality.
SmarterLilac
Cute. Could be a useful too to help reduce children's fears of disinfectants; curious, as I don't think of Gorey as an author who helps reduce anyone's fears.
Polly
A very odd little book--which is not to say I don't like it, because I do; odd can be excellent, and it is in this case!
Melody
Twisted little story about the small white worm Donald finds at the bottom of the trash can, illustrated by the inimitable Gorey.
Teresa Gashler
This book made me laugh in a way that I can't describe. That might not be a good thing, but it made me happy at least.
Lilian
Lovely, wicked little "children's" book. It's what I expected Gorey would have illustrated.
Melonknee62
Excellent & awkward story with beautiful illustrations by Edward Gorey!
Janel
Jan 29, 2008 Janel rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: noone
Pretty drawings. Lame story.
Thomb Jambus
Jul 25, 2013 Thomb Jambus rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: children, adults
stunning.
Y.M. Valentonis
Y.M. Valentonis marked it as to-read
Dec 13, 2014
Cláudia Costa
Cláudia Costa marked it as to-read
Dec 11, 2014
Katiuska Mendoza castro
Katiuska Mendoza castro marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
  • Elephant House: Photographs of Edward Gorey's House
  • The Strange Case of Edward Gorey
  • The Recently Deflowered Girl
  • Cautionary Tales for Children
Why We Have Day and Night The Phantom of the Opera Homage to John Clare: A poetical and critical correspondence The Faithful Fish The "Castle" (20th Century Interpretations)