Start by marking “Understanding the Power God Gives Us: What Agency Really Means” as Want to Read:
Understanding the Power God Gives Us: What Agency Really Means

Understanding the Power God Gives Us: What Agency Really Means

4.23 of 5 stars 4.23  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  7 reviews

Without agency, no author part of the gospel can exist. As a gift of
God it ranks with life itself, for without it, life has no meaning.

So writes author Joseph Fielding McConkie in this thought-provoking volume
that gives us fresh insight into why the Lord has blessed us with the precious
gift of agency and what he expects us to do with it.

In laying the foundation for di

Published January 1st 2004 by Shadow Mountain

To ask other readers questions about Understanding the Power God Gives Us, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Understanding the Power God Gives Us

Ernie Dawson
Undoubtedly one of the best books I've ever read. It's too bad that it's too expensive to get the book currently not in print. This is about as close as you can get to a "must read" book.
Mike Day
I love the argument he gives for those parents that want their children to decide if they will go to church because they want them to have "their free agency"... I really liked this book.
I really enjoyed this treatment on the principle of agency. I came away with an increased understanding of this principle and a lot to think about as I review my life choices, priorities and goals. I withheld one star because of some quibbles with his writing style. Sometimes he gets too academic for my taste. I think this tendency adversely affected the flow of the narrative and clouded his point at times.
I read this after hearing him speak on this subject at a conference. He takes our basic understanding of "agency" to a new level. He explains how we are not "free agents" in this world but are His agent and must honor that commitment.

Excellent book.
Wendy Jensen
Joseph Fielding McConkie is one of my favorite lecturers and authors. This book on Agency is thoughtfully presented and an excellent resource for the person who seeks to understand this great gift of God - one of my all time favorite books.
I've read this book atleast 4 times. I keep marking it and marking it up. Amazing!
The best book I have read on Agency, one of my all time favorites.
Julie Atkinson
Julie Atkinson marked it as to-read
Apr 24, 2015
Chris Galadima
Chris Galadima marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2015
Ryan added it
Jun 13, 2014
Tyler marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
Bennuce marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2014
Julie marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2014
Elizabeth Miller
Elizabeth Miller marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2014
Seth Morin
Seth Morin marked it as to-read
Jan 08, 2014
Felicia marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2013
Emily Mcconkie
Emily Mcconkie marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2013
Karla Matson
Karla Matson marked it as to-read
May 23, 2013
Brandi marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2013
Ryan Barber
Ryan Barber marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2013
Laura marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2013
Ben marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2013
Mark Bradshaw
Mark Bradshaw marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2013
Joseph Fielding McConkie received a Doctorate of Education from Brigham Young University in 1973, following which he became the director of the LDS Institute of Religion at the University of Washington in Seattle. Four years later he joined the faculty at BYU where he is now a Professor of Ancient Scripture. He is the author or co-author of 25 books, the most recent being a 1200 page work titled R ...more
More about Joseph Fielding McConkie...
The Bruce R. McConkie Story: Reflections of a Son Doctrinal Commentary on the Book of Mormon, Vol. 1- First and Second Nephi Gospel Symbolism Answers: Straightforward Answers to Tough Gospel Questions Here We Stand