Wild Robert

Wild Robert

3.26 of 5 stars 3.26  ·  rating details  ·  560 ratings  ·  45 reviews
Heather's parents are the caretakers of the stately home Castlemaine, and Heather would love living there -- if it weren't for the tourists. Every summer they invade Castlemaine, and one day they even trample into all of her secret quiet spots. The only one left is a peculiar little mound that the villagers say is the grave of Wild Robert, a legendary magician who lived 35...more
Published August 19th 2003 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1989)

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne JonesCharmed Life by Diana Wynne JonesThe Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne JonesCastle in the Air by Diana Wynne JonesThe Dark Lord of Derkholm by Diana Wynne Jones
Favourite Diana Wynne Jones
36th out of 37 books — 295 voters
The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest by Stieg LarssonThe Help by Kathryn StockettFahrenheit 451 by Ray BradburyThe Little Stranger by Sarah WatersThe Sense of an Ending by Julian Barnes
Books I Read in 2011
259th out of 275 books — 25 voters

More lists with this book...

Miriam
This is half of a fairly promising novel. And I really mean half -- not, "oh, this has potential but it needs a good rewrite," but "Here is the first half of my finished book. I left the second half on the train and can't be bothered to redo it." Almost more disappointing than a bad book, because I wanted to know how the story turned out.
Stephen Theaker
Not one of Diana Wynne Jones's major works, but interesting nevertheless, and I was thrilled to find it on the shelves of Birmingham Central Library while the children were rolling around on giant cushions.

Heather lives in a stately home which her parents manage for the National Trust. When she idly wishes for Wild Robert to wake up and deal with Mr McManus, the unpleasant gardener, and the tourists who bother her, he does. He plays magical tricks on everyone, but everything's fine by the end of...more
Fiona
Oh what a wonderful short little story full of fun, silliness and magic. It feels though as if there should be more but I do not think there is a sequel to Wild Robert. In a way it could feel incomplete, but to me it feels like the story is still living, it has never ended and never will.

Sometimes the simple stories are the best ones.
Jean Tatro
Fun, but it feels like the prologue to a greater story - lots of set up that goes no where, and no real resolution. It works as a novella as long as you don't expect any more then that. The whole thing is pretty much a romp through the tropes of this particular story. It's short - easy enough to read in a few hours, even for a slow reader like me. If your a fan of the author I can't see a reason not to recommend it, but as a stand alone there isn't much to mention about it.
Cheryl in CC NV
Beguiling, but insignificant. Even if I were 8 years old I wouldn't love it. And the ending is abrupt - do you suppose there were thoughts of a series or sequel?
Josephine
A well-crafted and well-paced short story. Memorable characters with depth and development.
Daniel Shellenbarger
A nice little Diana Wynne Jones fantasy, Wild Robert tells the tale of Heather, a girl who lives in a re-posessed castle (its noble line is extinct) where her parents are caretakers and tour guides. She hates the tourists who take over her home and give her no peace, and one afternoon while trying in vain to get a little privacy, she stumbles onto the barrow in the back where reputedly Wild Robert, a young nobleman accused of witchcraft, was executed. As it turns out, Robert isn't quite as gone...more
Eden
Heather lives with her parents at Castlemaine and her parents are also the caretakers and tourguides of Castlemaine.
Heather would love to live at Castlemaine if it wasn't for every Summer many tourists come. To get away from all tourists and noise, Heather heads off to one of her secret spots in the castle only to find more tourists there.

Heather goes off upset and to the only other secret spot she knows. The mound near the woods, and she has been told that is the grave of Wild Robert, who was...more
Veronica
Yuite Dio
This book, like all DWJ books, is incredibly charming and as always very striking in its characters and setting. I actually wish it had been quite a bit longer so we could have gotten more information and a more firm resolution. I need closureeee poor Robert bbz. Heather was also adorable and I would love a sequel in the future where Robert decides she is old enough to marry and becomes obsessed with winning her hand in the most obnoxious, ridiculously flamboyant ways possible while being absolu...more
Lydia Shellenbarger
Honestly, this felt like half a book. By the end, Heather has realized Wild Roberts story, but she doesn't really have that much of a plan for how she could right the wrongs that have been done to him.

Still an enjoyable quick read, complete with quirky magic and what person in charge of maintaining a place for the public hasn't wanted to have them attacked by their own littered trash? :)

Content notes: No swearing that I recall; no sensuality except teenagers making a nuisance of themselves by

Josh
An extremely short book about a girl who lives in a castle which is being cared for by her parents. Tourists visit the castle in droves and it is hard for the girl to find a spare moment of quiet. She inadvertently wakes up the ghost of a warlock buried on the castle grounds who turns the tourists to sheep and does other nasty things to the people the young girl was complaining about only moments before. Of course the girls is appalled by this and works to find a solution to the mischief the war...more
Morag Gray
Not her best work, but a her trademark chaotic comedy is there.
Judy
Inspiring illos (black and white, no grey tone) from Emma Chichester Clark, and an intriguing story with interesting character development. Recommended for upper primary aged readers or young secondary schoolers with an interest in history, mystery, quirkiness and or the slightly macabre.
Beth
I suspect I would have loved this book had it existed when I was in the target audience for it. I would have probably liked it had it been published in the US shortly after its 1989 publication in the UK. As an adult reading this book, it feels as though either the story is incomplete or tied too neatly in a bow. Not my favorite DWJ book by a long shot.
Dharma
I have had Ms. Jones on my list to read for quite some time as she comes highly recommended from friends on an email group. This one was cute, predictable, will be perfect for The Kid. I will get more of her books out to screen and enjoy.
Spazfungus
I picked this up from the free book pile. It caught my eye since it was written by the same author as Howl's Moving Castle. Cute but with a bittersweet ending and written for a much much younger audience than HMC.
robyn
For what it is it's fine! But what it is, I suspect, is the first chapter of a much longer story that Jones just never got round to. Pity. A young reader could read this as a complete story and enjoy it very much.
Paula
Wild Robert is a good book for the very young. The ending was not satisfying. It reads like Jones didn't want to bother with tying up the loose ends. Everything was left floating in the wind.
Katie
raises the question about whether growing up in a castle is all it's cracked up to be. It's also a shame this book doesn't have sequels. There just seems to be so much story left unwritten.
Violinknitter
A fun little story, though it feels more like a short story than a middle-grade novel. Very quick read... I don't think it took me more than an hour, if that.
Elizabeth
Is this an unfinished novel? It read like a first chapter, but there was no warning anywhere on or in the book that there wouldn't be a satisfying ending.
Maddalena
Short, and with an unfinished feeling. I know this is a children's book, but still... usually Diana Wynne Jones is funnier, and cleverer.
Beverly
Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite authors, but the ending of this book left the reader hanging. I finished it with a "is that it?"
Lia
This was a wild romp of a read one afternoon. There isn't much to highly recommend it. Not noteworthy at all. But it was a fun ride.
ingenue
This would have 4 stars if it were longer. How can it end so abruptly mid-story after less than 100 pages? Aaagh! Sequel! Now! Please!
Magali
Cute, simple story that I would have loved to read when I was 10 and full of ideas about what everybody else ought to do.
Indah Threez Lestari
Fun quick reading...

This is what we get if we call a warlock who was buried in the mound 350 years ago...
refgoddess
I read this several years ago, and, while any Diana Wynne Jones is worth reading, this was a slighter effort.
Arwen
Cute idea but this book felt seriously incomplete. It should have been longer with a better ending.
  • The Bear's Song
  • The Xanadu Adventure (Vesper Holly, #6)
  • The Worst Witch Saves the Day (Worst Witch, #5)
  • The Haunting Of Freddy (The Golden Hamster Saga, #4)
  • Hildafolk
  • The Wind on the Moon
  • Magic or Not? (Tales of Magic, #5)
  • The River at Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #3)
  • The Oaken Throne (The Deptford Histories, #2)
  • Howl's Moving Castle Film Comic, Vol. 2
  • Curses, Inc. and Other Stories
  • Claws
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • How to Train Your Viking, by Toothless the Dragon
  • The Land of Green Ginger
  • The Bag of Bones (Tales from the Five Kingdoms, #2)
  • Rosie's Magic Horse
  • The Steps Up the Chimney (The Magician's House Quartet, #1)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...
Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1) Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2) The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #4) Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1) House of Many Ways (Howl's Moving Castle, #3)