D.N.Angel, Vol. 1 (D.N.Angel, #1)

D.N.Angel, Vol. 1 (D.N.Angel #1)

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  19,094 ratings  ·  96 reviews
Daisuke Niwa is an ordinary middle school student who has inherited an interesting family condition, where the sight of the girl he adores transforms him into a phantom thief.
Comic, 184 pages
Published April 6th 2004 by TokyoPop (first published November 1997)

To ask other readers questions about D.N.Angel, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about D.N.Angel, Vol. 1

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 01 by Hiromu ArakawaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga/Anime Book Ever
25th out of 859 books — 2,455 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraVampire Knight, Vol. 01 by Matsuri HinoSpecial A, Vol. 1 by Maki Minami
Favorite Shoujo Manga
108th out of 564 books — 1,170 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikki  King
D.N.Angel was an ok manga... Nowhere near my favorites- at this point at least. So basically this kid, named Daisuke, turns into this Handsome Super Amazing phantom thief named Dark. He turns whenever he starts thinking about his first crush/the girl he likes. I'm not sure which... There's 2 girls, they're twins, and that bit was confusing. But he DOES turn, and he steals priceless artifacts from museums an such that are all from a certain family... Not sure if they MADE the art or if they prote...more
Jessi Larie
From my blog Auntie Spinelli Reads

This is another one of my favorites! I absolutely LOVE this series! The main reason? This guy right here:

DARK MOUSY. Sexy phantom thief. *swoon* He's one of my top 3 favorite manga crushes ever! I love him so much.♥
And of course the cute lil furry guy on his shoulder - Wiz! He's freaking adorable, I love him too! Plus he transforms into Dark's wings, it's awesome. I want a Wiz stuffie so bad, haha.

I love the plot of this one, too. Riku and Risa are twins, and Da...more
Selena
Wow. Found this series on my shelf and decided to read it again.

Maybe my tastes have grown a bit since I last read it, but I don't like it nearly as much as I once did. I find the characters a little whiny. What I once thought was fast-paced now seems poorly paced.

Overall, it doesn't seem as good now than it was when I first got it... Maybe my fondness actually stems from later volumes, rather than the first.
Anne
Currently my favorite series. Great characters, chaotic but plausible and easily followed plot, intense idea, low-to-no mature content, and all around way too much fun, not to mention incredible art. All the way around, I really can't find anything wrong with this. :D
Carmen
Amazing! So exciting. I actually watched the anime of D.N.Angel like 6 years ago (I think). And have loved it ever since. But I always held back from reading the manga. Well, what was I thinking? I'm just glad that I decided to go for it since I joined the Manga Reading Challenge. But yes, great series. And I've only gotten up to four books. And the cliffhanger at the end of the fourth volume.... too exciting. I want to go get the next volumes. But... I'll have to check my budgeting.
This story i...more
Victoria
Another one of my favorite mangas, also introduced to me by my friend, this one is nice because it hits a good, solid medium between shojo (female appeal) and shounen (male appeal).

Daisuke Niwa has been trained to be a thief ever since he can remember; his mother and grandfather have constantly drilled him in lockpicking, trap avoidance, stealth, and use of his wits. He doesn't really understand the purpose behind it, just that it's a "family tradition." And despite the fact that he knows how t...more
Aoife
The author, a comparative rookie at his stage, has a definite Shonen tint to their art despite this being a manga for girls. As an introductory volume from a debuting mangaka the standard is relatively decent.
The setup is established, the characters well introduced and everything is prepared for adventures down the line.

The problem though that despite the improvements in art and writing as the series progresses is that this series is left incomplete. The english language publisher Tokyopop went...more
Chi
Loved it.
Natalie
Jan 02, 2014 Natalie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone & everyone
Recommended to Natalie by: my best sis
The first four volumes of D N Angel have nothing spectacular about them, but they do have a few elements going for them that make them pretty enjoyable. The story is not completely new, I do know that, but for me, this was the first manga that introduced the idea of a person transforming into another person.

The story is pretty interesting and the character cast is ok. The story goes that this phantom thief named Dark whose DNA has been in their family for centuries as Daisuke Niwa’s family for...more
Robyn
I have read this series and I absolutely love it. The mixture of chracters and the plot are phenomenal. Especially the contrast between Dark and Daisuke's personalities. Dark is a charismatic, and suave phantome thief, while Daiskue seems to be your typical everday 14 year old middle school kid (although he comes from a family of phantom thieves, and has received special thief training from his mother and grandfather). His life is normal at first until he learns about the abnormality caused by t...more
Ayu Puspita Sari
The rating and review are for the whole (uncompleted) series.

Read the 1st volume back in 8th grade, I quickly attached to this story since the characters are majority on their 8th grade also. But unlike my friends who love this story for it's romance, the hormonless 14 years old me love this story for it's mere astounding artwork. I mean, can't you see how beautiful Sugisaki-sensei's drawing is? It was hand down amazing! The detail, the panels coordinating, the characters, all of them were beaut...more
Striped Skittles
(view spoiler)...more
Rebecca
D.N.Angel was something quite different as far as manga goes. I've never read anything like it before but I really enjoyed reading it.

The illustrations were amazing. Although some of them were a little too busy so I had a bit of trouble finding out what was going on.

The main character Daisuke, was pretty cool. I'm very interested to know more of his story. I did have trouble between the twins. There were times when I wasn't sure which one was which.

Overall, D.N.Angel is a pretty good manga to re...more
Kristen
The pacing was a bit odd. It moved too fast in scenes I thought should have been more important. . It would have liked to see some more time spent on the heists, seeing how it is the central theme. The art style is not one I'm particularly fond of. It reminds me bit of Gravitation or Oh My Goddess, which for me is not a good thing. There was something about it that clicked with me, though, because I am intereted in reading further into the series.

There's a short story at the end of this volume t...more
Beth
Jul 10, 2008 Beth rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Just getting used to reading Manga. I'm still getting kind of lost and confused. This seemed OK. I liked when Risa said that Daisuke would not "improve her social standing" and when she talks about "my sworm enemy...my twin sister Riku!!!" and there's a picture of a super cute girl with crazy big eyes and a little cute manga mouth.

I suppose I'll have to read on in the series to see why there's this family curse of turning into the Phantom Thief Dark and stealing works of art. What kind of curse...more
Nina Fuentes
It had potential
This is volume 1 of a manga series and I understand why it's a hit. Daisuke is an 8th grader who gets a surprise when he turns 14. He discovers that his mom and grandpa have been training him to take over the family business (art theft!). Whenever he comes into contact with the girl he loves, he changes into a studly man named Dark who steals art. But then he changes back to Daisuke. So the bulk of the novel is about the first few thefts and Daisuke trying to learn how to control his change.
pinkgal
While I give it three stars because I feel it lacks in a lot of parts, it's a very pretty, well-characterized manga. The mangaka seems to have been very slow in the past few years about producing new volumes, but the first ten volumes are quite good, even sad sometimes. I say, if you want some light shoujo reading, this is definitely a good piece. For one thing, the females aren't shown as absolute ninnies. B( that's one thing I really dislike about a lot of shonen manga... but I digress.
Christina G
Still not sure I "get" manga. The premise struck me as strange but not complex enough to be interesting, and sometimes I found the art in the action scenes hard to follow.

But, for younger manga readers, I think this has a nice balance between romance and action, and the appeal seems to be in the boy-girl puppy love.

But as an adult reader who finds queer subtext in everything, I thought Daisuke and Satoshi had more interesting chemistry.
Skedatt
Aug 27, 2008 Skedatt rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone
Recommended to Skedatt by: Mark
Shelves: manga
I only included the first book of the series, though I have read them all. They are a really fun read. It is an ongoing series, so it isn't completed yet. I like the art style and the plot moves along pretty fast.

Watched the anime, it was ok, though I really enjoyed the over-arching themes of sacrifice and growth that the it had. The anime is complete with 26 episodes that differ a little from the manga, which is only to be expected.
Sabrina
Jan 18, 2013 Sabrina rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all of my anime-loving buddies
Recommended to Sabrina by: Goodreads Recommendations
I thought that this manga was pretty good. I loved the way the art was done, and Wiz is completely adorable ^_^ I also have a new favorite character for mangas: Dark. I shall be enjoying his part in this series more than the rest, but it's enough to make me soooo excited for the next book. And excited to start watching the anime show. Ohemgee, I bet it will be amazing. High hopes for the rest of the series!
Roxanne
One of my favourite manga series! I love it! I have the anime but I haven't finished watching all of it yet. When I first started this series I thought it was very original and that the characters were great. The plot is great, if I was going to knock any stars off it would be because of Riku and Risa...they can get a little annoying at times, but other than that....great series!!
Stephanie
Mar 24, 2011 Stephanie rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephanie by: The anime
I watched the entire anime and enjoyed it all right (3 stars). I was hoping that the book would develop the anime's most interesting elements (to me, the moral and physical struggle between the doppelgangers and Daisuke's mysterious family history), but instead I got a double dose of inane middle school romance! Maybe it fleshes out more later, but I did not read past volume 1.
Sierra
Dec 07, 2012 Sierra added it
it was relly good i need to reed the 3rd book but its not in the libary cuz i think someone checked it out but I DO NOT I REPEAT I DO NOT LIKE RISA I LOVE RIKU DARK AND RIKU ALL THE WAY BUT I DONT GET IT IN THE SECOND BOOK WERE DAISUKE SOAYS I CANT STOP DARK FROM MY FELLINGS AND THEN DARK KISSESD RISA RISA PEOPLE DARK IS SUPPOST TO LIKE RIKU HELLO
Jamie Davis
Book 1 was mindblowing. I fell in love with the characters right away, and the end of each chapter left me on the edge of my seat. When the book ended, I felt like I was going to cry, not only because it left SUCH a cliffhanger, but because Riku was deffinately my favorite out of the twins. I applaud this book, and this series. A must-read.
Charles
Jun 03, 2008 Charles rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Girls into manga
Recommended to Charles by: Molly Baker
Shelves: manga
A funny and cute book, but not really my cup of tea. I know a lot of girls are into this manga, but I think I'll try the anime.

I know many manga girls are obsessed with this series so I'll say add two stars if you like cute and cuddly stories, subtract two if you can't stand them.
Michelle
I screen all books for my 12-yr. old. We're getting to the point where I won't be having to do that much longer but for now, I still do it. If you like manga, this is a good series. I'm not sure it really qualifies as a "book". They are really fast reads - less than an hour.
Killedbydrapery
I watched this anime a long time ago (and I'm absolutely obsessed with the soundtrack!), so I figured it was finally time for me to read the series. And yet me say, it didn't disappoint. :) So good! And the characters are so confusing and loveable.
Arwen S
Even though I enjoyed this it was a little hard to stay interested for very long. I may get the next one in the series at some point, and reading more of the series may change my mind. It's a book that should be given a shot but might not appeal to everyone.
Ada Nasir
I love this. Reading the manga, watched the anime. Dark is just so charismatic while Daisuke is shy~ish boy. The fact that Dark is Daisuke and Daisuke is Dark is just awesome. I like it. And the funny thing is no both likes different twins. Very interesting
Shoujo Manga Book...: D.N.Angel Discussion 13 9 Aug 17, 2013 04:59AM
  • Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE, Vol. 3 (Tsubasa: RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE #3)
  • Fruits Basket, Volume 08
  • Pita Ten, Vol. 01
  • Alice 19th, Vol. 01: Lotis Master
  • Kamikaze Kaito Jeanne, Vol. 01
  • MeruPuri, Vol. 01 (MeruPuri, #1)
  • Black Cat: The Man Called Black Cat, Vol. 01 (Black Cat, #1)
  • Chrono Crusade, Vol. 1 (Chrono Crusade, #1)
  • Demon Diary, Vol. 01
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Godchild, #1
Yukiru Sugisaki (杉崎 ゆきる in Japanese) is a Japanese manga artist. Her hobbies are dramas, video games, and "collecting rabbit things".

Sugisaki's face is rarely seen, as she prefers to draw herself with a rabbit face or mask in her manga profile images. She also seems to have developed a trait of leaving her series unfinished before moving on to different projects (Notably D.N.Angel, which has seen...more
More about Yukiru Sugisaki...
D.N.Angel, Vol. 5 (D.N.Angel, #5) D.N.Angel, Vol. 3 (D.N.Angel, #1) D.N.Angel, Vol. 2 (D.N.Angel, #2) D.N.Angel, Vol. 4 (D.N.Angel, #4) D.N.Angel, Vol. 9

“Throughout history, works of art have been stolen under mysterious circumstances...Said by some to be the work of "Phantom" thieves... ...Others dismiss it as mere myth. But in this country, the stories are all too true. The name of this mysterious thief? "Dark." And his true identity? No one knows...” 8 likes
“It...It...It's... The peeping tom!!” 5 likes