Start by marking “The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)” as Want to Read:
The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci, #4)

The Magicians of Caprona (Chrestomanci #4)

3.9  ·  Rating Details ·  8,843 Ratings  ·  289 Reviews
Tonino is the only person in the famous Montana household who wasn't born with an instinct for creating spells, but he has other gifts. His ability to communicate with cats just might help defend the city of Caprona against a mysterious enchanter -- but only if Tonino can learn to cooperate with a girl from the hated Petrocchi family of spell-makers.

In this spirited tale o
Published April 10th 2001 by Greenwillow Books (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Magicians of Caprona, please sign up.

Janouk Yes, but he has not a big role in the book

mark monday
Mar 18, 2013 mark monday rated it really liked it
another splendid entry in the Chrestomanci cycle! this wonderful little series about multiple dimensions, magic, and the trans-dimensional authority on magic known as the "Chrestomanci" has been a real light in my life whenever i open up a new book. what a lovely and pleasing breath of fresh air.

The Magicians of Caprona takes place in an alternate dimension in which magic is openly practiced and where the various city-states of Italy never united. Caprona is a fairly powerful city that appears t
Rachel
Apr 07, 2008 Rachel rated it it was amazing
This was the first book by DWJ that I ever read. I stumbled on it by accident in the library when I was a kid, and it was the kind of book I would stay up all night reading and then feel sad when I got to the last page. (I still read like that sometimes, but it's pretty rare to find books I can be that excited about).

Really, instead of going on and on about this writer, I will say that these are the books JK Rowling WISHES she could have written. well, I'm sure she's quite fine with things as th
Sanaa
Aug 17, 2015 Sanaa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
[4 Stars] When I started this book I didn't really think I would like it. It was slow and it took me some time to get sucked into the writing, but as I read on I just got more and more excited. This story grows on you, the characters do, the worlds do, and now that I'm finished I want to go back to them!

My favorite parts of this book have to be the ridiculous magical bits like the cardboard horses and the cardboard coach, and of course the silly rivalry between the Petrocchis and the Montanas. T
Mark Lawrence
Dec 11, 2016 Mark Lawrence rated it liked it
This is the second Chrestomanci book I've read to my daughter Celyn - there seems to be some confusion about the order of the books, but they appear to be self-contained and the order is perhaps unimportant.

It's a good book, not a great book. It's the first of the 5 DWJ's books I've read to Celyn not to get a 4 or 5*.

It retains many of the excellent things I've come to expect from Diana Wynne Jones - imagination, quality writing, a lively sense of humour.

It loses other of the excellent things I'
beatricks
This was cute but hard to connect with. Where some of DWJ's other books employ a tight POV, this one has such a broad lens -- beginning with the entire city of Caprona and the Montana family, and then switching off vaguely between Tonino and Paolo -- that I never felt terribly invested in anyone's fates, nor did I have any doubts about them and their fates, since the plot is so formulaic and involves a literal angel vs. a literal devil*.

As I read I first kept thinking of Zen Cho and how her So
Myles
Apr 04, 2011 Myles rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-stuff, fantasy
DWJ Book Toast, #4

Diana Wynne Jones is one of my favorite fantasy authors, growing up and now, and I was saddened by the news of her death. I can't say I'm overcome with emotion - as personal as some of her work is to me, its not like I knew her after all - but I wish I could put into words how I feel about her no longer being out there, writing new adventures and laughing at all of us serious fans thinking so hard about her words when we should simply get on with the business of enjoying them.

A
Gusfina
--- The Magicians of Caprona ~ Penyihir-Penyihir Caprona ---
Plot: Mudah tertebak sekaligus tidak mudah tertebak.
Penokohan: Hubungan antar-tokohnya paling bagus ^^.
Gaya bercerita: Ok.

Novel fantasi ini akan membawa pembacanya terjun ke dunia dimana sihir adalah sesuatu yang umum.
Seumum pertikaian mendarah daging antara Casa Montana dan Casa Petrocchi di Caprona. Belum berhenti sampai disana, api pertikaian mereka seakan disulut dengan minyak saat seorang anggota keluarga mereka diculik!

Mereka sa
Melissa McShane
So The Magicians of Caprona is not my favorite Diana Wynne Jones book, but I'm not sure why. Her eleventh book has all the trademarks we've come to expect, at this point in her career: an unusual magic system, important family dynamics (with two families this time, both larger than any of the previous ones), an alternate version of Earth, and kids who end up saving the day, but not in a twee way. Add to this some intelligent cats (Benvenuto!) and you have all the ingredients of another classic b ...more
bakanekonomama
Suasana di Caprona sedang mencekam dan terancam perang. Padahal sebelumnya, kota yang dilindungi oleh Malaikat Caprona, yang dibantu oleh dua klan penyihir terbesar di Caprona ini, Casa Montana dan Casa Petrocchi, berada dalam kedamaian.

Tampaknya ada sebuah kekuatan dari luar yang berusaha untuk menguasai Caprona. Bukan kekuatan biasa. Karena ini di dunia Chrestomanci, pasti ada campur tangan penyihir di dalamnya. Soalnya, mantra yang dibuat oleh Casa Montana dan Casa Petrocchi mulai meluntur. J
Elizabeth
Jan 19, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
The Magicians of Caprona is basically Romeo & Juliet, except better because it doesn’t end in death. I liked the fact that it was three pairs that ended up uniting together against the Big Bad, rather than just the obvious one. I also enjoyed the fact that it was children who overcame the barriers first, rather than the adults, since children usually do in situations like the one in the book (adults are more bitter and are liable to hold onto past grudges for a longer amount of time).

I felt
Harold Ogle
Jul 20, 2012 Harold Ogle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, ya, magic
A very good read, which strangely reminded me a bit of Tim Powers towards the end (possibly because of the statues). Weirdly, this is listed as the fourth book in the series, when it was clearly the second book she wrote in the series (1980, as opposed to the 1988 publishing date of the supposed book 2, Christopher Chant). I'm doing the best I can to read them in chronological order - that is, in the order they were written, not in an order they were connected in after the fact.

In this book, the
Daphne
Nov 14, 2016 Daphne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Chrestomanci books are always a bit harder to review because comparing them to the other books in the series is almost impossible. They aren't quite stand-alone stories, since they have connections to the other books, but they aren't really sequels of one another either. Then added on top of that, they don't have a specific order you have to read them in. So where I would usually compare a book to the rest in the series, it wouldn't feel right to do that as much with these books.

I liked The
Carol Nicolas
Once again, Diana Wynne Jones has thoroughly impressed me, this time with a wonderful story about a boy who lives in the Italy of one of the Chrestomanci worlds. The only magic Tonino Montana can do is talk to cats, and that is not something highly regarded. His magical family and the horrid Petrocchi family are involved in a generations-long feud, and when armies march on their city, Caprona, threatening it with destruction, the two families can’t stop fighting long enough to do anything about ...more
Twyla
May 26, 2011 Twyla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2011
Here's what I don't get: The book is called WOrld's of CHrestomanci Magician's of Caprona. This CHrestomanci seems to have all the presence of a daytime tv cameo appearance. There's like one reference to him in the way that someone would reference Aunt Maria cooking Porkchops on the weekend; and yet somehow the book is not called World's of Aunt Maria Magician's of Caprona.
This bothers me (not the dis-inclusion of Aunt Maria). But yes, I get that its a kids book.
The first few chapters are .. dif
Jazzmin Hunter
Sep 21, 2015 Jazzmin Hunter rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid-books
I loved this book. Everything about it was fascinating. It was narrated by Gerard Doyle, who does a great job on the characters and always leaves me hanging on every word.

It is too bad that the ratings are lower than the book deserves. It seems the chief complaint is that the book is part of the Chrestomanci series and Chrestomanci (a character in the story) only has a couple of short appearances.
branewurms
Mar 25, 2012 branewurms rated it really liked it
Kind of like Romeo and Juliet, only, you know, with everyone's favorite fancy-pants foppish enchanter waltzing around and informing everyone how ridiculous they are. Well, except for the Romeo and the Juliet, who actually had some sense in this particular permutation of the concept, along with a handful of DWJ's usual resourceful children. That is to say: kind of like Romeo and Juliet, but actually enjoyable.
Kylie
Jun 18, 2012 Kylie rated it it was amazing
I think this is my favorite Diana Wynn Jones book yet. She truly is a remarkable storyteller. These books are good in an old-fashioned kind of way that reminds me of C.S. Lewis or E. Nesbitt or Joan Aiken (my childhood favorite) but also modern in a way that reminds me of Neil Gaiman (who writes in the blubs that her books are "always perfectly magical.") They are perfectly magical, and always perfectly believable too.
Jaz
I remember reading this and not enjoying it the first time round because of all the conflict and I'm a wimp who likes happy hour always. I was quite young then. Reread a couple years ago and still that feeling was there faintly. I definitely enjoyed it more.
The two youngest of the clans/families are the winners for best characters here.
Man I need to read this again
Beth
Jul 24, 2016 Beth rated it it was ok
My least favorite Chrestomanci book. The best part is easily the what-if-Romeo-and-Juliet-weren't-idiots subplot, where they deceive their families easily. And the part where each family is really proud of even the less-talented younger child.
C.
I think Diana Wynne Jones is my favourite author. I can go back to her books again and again and again, they are never disappointing and they ALWAYS make me happy. No adult realisation of any lack of literary merit has yet managed to spoil my deep and sincere enjoyment.
karen
Nov 15, 2016 karen rated it really liked it
another chrestomanci book that's light on the chrestomanci. it took me a little while to get into it, but once the action picked up it was really suspenseful. main character tonino was pretty neat and sympathetic. i don't know if everybody is as creeped out by punch & judy as i am, but i was thoroughly scared during that whole part of the story. and as always, jones's depictions of animals is great - sweet but not sappy, just realistic pictures of what is actually cool about them, not fantas ...more
Susan Fehr
Oct 22, 2016 Susan Fehr rated it really liked it
I liked the setting of this book veery much, and the characters also. The resolution was a bit standard, but there were a good few twists in getting there, and suffice to say, I remember putting the book down at about 2am....oops!
Luciana Darce
Oct 30, 2014 Luciana Darce rated it liked it
Eu acredito que li quando era mais nova um ou outro volume da série Crestomanci, mas confesso que não lembro de nada. Sei que o conheci à mesma época em que estava folheando meus primeiros Pratchett na Nobel, e que um pouco depois disso descobri o brilhante O Castelo Animado, que é da mesma autora.

Aliás, curiosidade: a Jones foi aluna de Tolkien e Lewis em Oxford e professora da Rowling. Mundinho pequeno, não?

Minha edição é uma que vem com os quatro volumes juntos, mas aqui no Brasil elas foram
Chris
Dec 23, 2011 Chris rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, dwj, chrestomanci
First things first: I wondered why Diana Wynne Jones had chosen the name Caprona to use in the title of this children’s book. Was it from the Latin caprona ‘forelock’? Or from a type of butterfly? Or perhaps in homage to an island featuring in Edgar Rice Burroughs’ The Land that Time Forgot? None of these notions really convinced.

It seems most likely that she borrowed the name from a village in the Arno valley in Tuscany, upriver from Pisa and to the west of Florence. While relatively insignific
Karina
Dec 07, 2016 Karina rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-books
Not quite sure why this is listed as #4 when it's the 2nd book in the collection I'm reading.
Hanifah Mahdiyanti
Kita digiring ke salah satu dunia parallel yang dipenuhi sihir, yang berlokasi di Italia. Serasa berada di dunia Harry Potter lagi. Uuh, jadi kangen dengan dunia sihir menakjubkan yang dibangun oleh J.K. Rowling itu. Dan covernya, coba perhatikan deh. Cantik banget ya? Sekilas mirip Romeo dan Juliet dengan background sihir. Memang ada unsur yang mirip cerita itu di dalamnya walaupun bukan yang utama.

Caprona adalah salah satu negara bagian Italia yang terkenal karena kekuatan mantra yang diproduk
Heather
Mar 15, 2014 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids-ya
This book is set in the same world as Charmed Life and The Lives of Christopher Chant, except instead of taking place in a magical version of England, it's in a magical version of Italy. Caprona, where the action takes place, is known for the quality of the magic spells it produces and sells. The best spells from Caprona come from two eminent families, Casa Montana and Casa Petrocchi: the two houses are equally talented at magic and equally full of antipathy towards one another: they've been feu ...more
Karly Noelle Noelle
Aug 16, 2012 Karly Noelle Noelle rated it really liked it
The Petrocchi's and the Montana's hate each other. They are the two strongest spellhouses in Italy, and don't need a reason better than that.
Set in the fantastic world of Chrestomanci, this is a vision of Italy that never united, Caprona is still a city-state, and the two most powerful families around won't work together due to a centuries-long feud. But problems ensue for the family as Caprona edges closer to war with the other city-states, and both families are held to ransom when their young
Natasha
I re-read this book last month after the sad news that Diana had died. It seemed appropriate, being the first of her books that had I ever got my grubby little paws on. (Is it odd to refer to her as Diana? Somehow, it simply doesn’t feel right to use her last name.)

From the perspective of a newcomer to this multiverse and the Chrestomanci series, I suppose I must have been quite perplexed by this world that I was suddenly plunged into. Set in Chrestomanci’s world where Italy never united as one
Janelle Dazzlepants
Goodreads Feedback: Book displaying two different covers? 2 30 Mar 19, 2012 12:49PM
  • The Cuckoo Tree (The Wolves Chronicles, #6)
  • Book of Enchantments
  • Magic Below Stairs
  • The Hounds of the Mórrígan
  • The Tricksters
  • Firebirds: An Anthology of Original Fantasy and Science Fiction
  • Fly Trap (Fly by Night, #2)
  • Instead of Three Wishes: Magical Short Stories
  • The Marvelous Misadventures of Sebastian
  • The Exiles in Love (The Exiles, #3)
  • The Great Ghost Rescue
  • The Little Broomstick
  • The Stones of Green Knowe (Green Knowe, #6)
  • Wise Child (Doran, #1)
Diana Wynne Jones was the author of more than thirty critically acclaimed fantasy stories, including the Chrestomanci series and the novels Howl's Moving Castle and Dark Lord of Derkholm.

For Diana Wynne Jones's official autobiography, please see http://www.leemac.freeserve.co.uk/aut...
More about Diana Wynne Jones...

Chrestomanci (6 books)
  • Charmed Life (Chrestomanci, #1)
  • The Lives of Christopher Chant (Chrestomanci, #2)
  • Witch Week (Chrestomanci, #3)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pinhoe Egg  (Chrestomanci, #6)