Start by marking “Man-Eaters of Kumaon” as Want to Read:
Man-Eaters of Kumaon

Man-Eaters of Kumaon

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,866 ratings  ·  131 reviews
Jim Corbett was every inch a hero, something like a "sahib" Davy Crockett: expert in the ways of the jungle, fearless in the pursuit of man-eating big cats, and above all a crack shot. Brought up on a hill-station in north-west India, he killed his first leopard before he was nine and went on to achieve a legendary reputation as a hunter.
Corbett was also an author of grea
Paperback, 19, 228 pages
Published 2012 by Oxford University Press, India (first published 1944)

To ask other readers questions about Man-Eaters of Kumaon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Man-Eaters of Kumaon

Josh
I can't recall how I came across this book exactly, I think I was browsing around for out-of-copyright stuff and other freebies that I could populate the Kindle with. Because normally I wouldn't be all that interested in an old book about big game hunting, presuming it would just be some oblivious early-20th-century white guy plowing through jungles with an elephant gun killing tigers so he could have something to brag about over brandy and cigars. Nor am I a hunter, and I'm keenly aware of the ...more
Michael
Jim Corbett was a trophy hunter turned conservationist. The only problem is... the whole "better late than never" theory doesn't really apply here because he can't bring back or replace the dead big cats he destroyed for nothing more than his ego and their skin. Yes, some of these were man eaters that posed a problem to innocent people. But the thing I noticed was most of these became "man eaters" because someone like Corbett tried to shoot them for no reason.... there by wounding them which cau ...more
Sjs
What a read! I was totally taken with the man as much as his adventures, a quiet an unassuming person with an almost limitless knowledge of the jungle. Jim Corbett details his adventures hunting man-eating tigers around India in the 1920's. Some of these cats killed well over 500 people, Corbett hunted to protect people and not for the sake of hunting.
Corbett also teaches the reader important principles of conservation as he relates his story. Here is a man completely at ease in nature with a gr
Allison
Jim Corbett, Sahib and master of hunting, walks the reader through 7 tales of his hunting - and destroying - man-eating tigers. As Corbett patiently explains, humans are not tigers' natural nor preferred prey, and tigers resort to man only if the animal suffers a physical ailment that causes it to seek out an easy target. Sometimes these ailments are from animal injury or human intervention, regardless of the cause the animals soon begins to prowl for human flesh.

Living in a 21st century modern
Nigel
I first read this book many many years ago and it stayed in my mind. Recently one or two things raised it in my memory and I decided it would be good to read it again while waiting for another book to arrive. Given that this was written in the middle of the last century about events in the first half of that century it is remarkably readable and timeless.

Jim Corbett was a sportsman (hunter) who took to hunting man eating tigers (and other wildlife) in the foothills of the Himalaya. However despi
Mike (the Paladin)
Well, I reviewed this a while ago...and Alice ate it. So here we go again. As I said before in the review you didn't get to read and that's now spread among the random electrons of the internet, this book is far too good to have been read as I did, just to get it done and back to the library. I have a situation here where I'm involved in a couple of group reads and also a dozen (or more) library books showed up at once. This is one of them. It's not only a library book, but an interlibrary loan ...more
Jaya Kumar K
A comprehensive narration of the experiences of Jim Corbett in the forests of North India.

Thrills us to the core. Made me look around for any stalking tiger one night, in the 3rd floor balcony of my apartment in a city!

The book shares not just the story of tigers, but the passion of Jim Corbett for all these creatures, the kind natured man who exposes himself of his good heart when he tries to find all ways to spare a cat before deciding to shoot it down. Walking alone in search of man eaters, s
Shiva
A good read, but written in a time when hunting big cats for sport was thought to be perfectly fine.

While I could stomach the stories about man eaters he tracked down and killed, I was repelled by the ones where he would shoot tigers just for sport and collect 'trophies' of their skin.

Hunting by these 'sahibs' and unchecked poaching is what has made the tiger a near extinct species today. These stories serve as a reminder of the glorious time when India's jungles were teeming with these wonderf
John Winterson

The ‘Great White Hunter’ genre has fallen out of favour, especially with the media classes. Yet perhaps we must question whether, in replacing old prejudices with new, we can in fact be less broad-minded than our ancestors, who in many ways had no choice but to develop a practical knowledge of the world in which they lived.

Jim Corbett certainly presents a challenge to some fashionable perceptions of the role of the semi-professional hunter and of the last decades of British India. Like the vast
Anuja
I have been reading this book for long and managed to finish it finally! The reasons for the slow progress are manifold and none of them are related to how good the book is. Everybody has heard about Jim Corbett (we have a national park named after him after all), but the book gives so much insight into Jim Corbett and his love for the jungle. His insights from years of work following tigers and being in the jungle in general show from the writing. But what stands out is his love for it, every h ...more
Rajeev Roshan
हर अंत के बाद एक शानदार शुरुआत होती है।
हर रात के बाद के सुनदर सा सूरज निकलता है।
हर जंग के बाद विजय का जशन मनाया जाता है।
हर हार के बाद जीतने की आशा और बलवती होती जाती है।

मेरे जीवन इन आशावादी वाकयों का बडा ही महतव है। वैसे तो मैं एक आशावादी वयकति हूँ पर कभी कभी निराशा से भी दो-चार होना पडता है। ऐसे समय में एक पुसतक उठा लेता हूँ "सफलता के बढते कदम" सवेट मोरडेन दवारा लिखित। यह किताब मुझे हमेशा निराशा से दूर और आशाओं के करीब ले जाता है। लेकिन ऐसा नहीं है की इस दारशनिक पुसतक ने ही मेरे जीवन पर परभाव ड
Azn
One of the best books I've ever read. Jim Corbett should be the inspiration of all youth; his courage and love for nature and fellow man are unwavering, which pressed him to face grave dangers all by himself.
This was a very nail biting experience, and many times as I read this my fingers went cold. The brutality was described in a matter of fact way, not over the top for the sake of sensationalism, and not once did Corbett praised himself, nor did he pride himself in killing these animals.

Over
Amerynth
What makes Jim Corbett's "Man-Eaters of Kuamon" so wonderful is his eye for detail. Corbett traveled on foot across India hunting man-eating tigers from in the 1920's and 1930's. His book, not only reports his adventures stalking tigers, but gives a great sense of the jungle and a small taste of the people living in the region. His tales are so descriptive, you can really imagine yourself next to him hearing a tiger's roar disconcertingly close by as you're crouched in the bush or up a tree. Ver ...more
Avik
Man-Eaters of Kumaon is a collection of Jim Corbett’s hunting adventures penned by the remarkable personality himself.

The fact that Jim Corbett’s talents with the pen rival his shooting skills is well-known. However, this review is about certain other personal observations. One, the humility of the man is as much responsible for a pleasurable read as the excitement and thrill of the nature of the adventures. Jim Corbett’s objective description of facts and situations and his unabashed admissions
Bonnie
Loved Corbett's descriptions and I loved learning about India, the wildlife, the tigers, the people. He gave great attention to detail. I think Corbett was an exceptional human being, he shows great respect for the tigers, regretting when he kills the wrong tiger and takes great care to educate the reader.
I can't imagine living in one of those remote mountain villages, being afraid to walk 20 ft from your house because there is a man eating tiger on the loose. The skill and courage it took Corb
Readergal
This is a book I never would have read except for the happenstance of picking up a magazine and reading an article about Jim Corbett. My curiosity was piqued after reading the article,so I ordered the book from Amazon.
The book was certainly thrilling to read. The lives of villagers living in India during the early part of the twentieth was difficult. They were often outdoors earning their living as farmers. The man-eating tigers roamed freely and made earning a living a dangerous affair.
Jim C
Lalit
I came across this when i was still on the kinder side of teen, and from then till now it has stayed with me. The fact that he can make you feel as if you are not reading but conversing with Jungle and the King himself is just one of the many great things about this book.

If you have ever dreamed of Jungle, if you yearn for the Hills and if you have ever been mystified by the Powerful Feline Family then Jim Corbett is one write you must never miss. His writings reflect a very true and historical
Paritosh
I read this book now for the second time. The first time I was in school. I love the works of Jim Corbett, since it reflects the immense knowledge of this fantastic personality. The level of detail in his descriptions of places, people, animals, and situations fires up the reader's imagination.

With a distinct Raj-era flavour, the stories awaken a sense of adventure, visions of the beautiful Garhwal region (which I have yet to visit), and revives the deep-rooted wanderlust even today as it did 20
MadHatter
Oh, splendid, splendid book!!

Jim Corbett has such a natural story-telling voice, you feel as though he's sitting on an armchair in front of a roaring fire, cup of chai or tumbler of brandy in hand, personally relating these incredible, and true tales of him hunting down ferocious man-eating tigers in northern India's Kumaon region. I kid thee not!

This book had me tearful when reading about the loyal relationship he had with Robin, agitated when met with obstacles, squirming on the edge of my se
Pramod Pant
Corbett has worked like a wordsmith (or should we venture to word-pecker ?) on his stories and on his narration; chiselling away at the book till it was fluid, contemporary, humane, humorous, pregnant with suspense & terror, and efficacious in its narration.

Those of us who are interested in 'natural history'(an old but still acceptable name for an interest) gain from it. People who have walked the wilderness, walk it again with the thrill of a man-eating tiger at their heels. And people who
ward
Apr 25, 2007 ward rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Hunters and Adventurers
This was the book my father read to me as I fell asleep as a boy. Just as my grandfather did for my father. Perhaps this reveals more than it should?

This is a book containing 12 short, NON-fiction, stories about hunting man-eating tigers in India. Jim Corbett, the author and hunter, clearly articulates how and why some (very few) tigers turn to attacking men and what is required to bring these "eco-terrorists" to justice! Just, kidding. Corbet explains that tigers only turn to human prey when in
Melissa
when I bought this book I didn't have any real intentions of reading it, since I just liked the old cover look and thought it would look neat on my shelf. But after I brought it home and had read all my books and needed another I figured I'd pick it up and read it until I found another.
But this book surprised me in that the way the stories were written I was able to sit at the edge of my seat and wonder what would happen, while waiting for the tigers to come.
It took me a long time to get throu
Paul
Aug 10, 2009 Paul rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in hunting dangerous game or the british empire.
This listing is for the First American Edition of "Man Eaters of Kumaon" by Jim Corbett.

This particular edition is bound in bright red/orange hardcovers and has illustrated maps in the inner covers and also on the first few pages. It also has a glossary and a couple of black and white plates.

In this book Mr. Corbett recounts in hunting-camp style many of the most dangerous encounters he had while shooting man eating tigers. He tells his stories so vividly one can almost feel the jungle heat and
Matti Karjalainen
Jim Corbettin "Ihmissyöjätiikereitä" (Otava, 1947) sisältää joukon englantilaisen suurriistanmetsästäjän kirjoittamia erätarinoita, joissa metsästetään ihmislihan makuun päässeitä tiikereitä Intiassa 1900-luvun ensimmäisillä vuosikymmenillä (ja brittejä kun ollaan, hörpitään säännöllisin väliajoin teetä). Niiden lisäksi joukkoon mahtuu jokunen luontokuvaus, joissa kalastellaan tai muistellaan lämmöllä uskollista metsästyskoiraa.

Corbett on epäilemättä kokenut metsästysreissuillaan melkoisia hetki
Anirudh
Fantastic!

A perfect blend of hunting tales and environment conservation, The Man-Eaters of Kumaon reads almost as a thriller at times. But this is non-fiction and chronicles the time hunter and environmentalist Jim Corbett spent in Kumaon in Northern India hunting for man-eaters.

The book is splendidly written and contains amazing stories of 7 different hunts that the legendary hunter conducted, mostly alone and armed with a single rifle. But apart from the 'shikaar' stories, Jim Corbett makes a
Nilanjana Rai
From a hunter's point of view Corbett has done well. the descriptions are beautiful. And it is one of those books that describe Kumaon, its terrain, its people so well. But it is difficult to swallow all that happens to the hunted. Hunting animals, skinning them and then justifying it as if you are doing great job to the human race is difficult to digest. If you are eliminating it for greater good then kill and bury the beast. What is the need to cut it into pieces?
Gary Christensen
Aug 12, 2008 Gary Christensen rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Gary by: Max Wilcoxen
I've stalked tigers on elephant back in this region and couldn't begin to imagine traveling by foot, let alone stalking man-eaters. This book captured some key features of the region. Corbett was essentially native to Kumaon, having been born and raised there. He showed genuine care for the locals and none of the colonialism found in some other pieces from this time.

I read books from this period and genre as insights into the birth of conservation. Some of the early hunters like Corbett and J. A
Utsav Sarkar
I fondly remember reading this book as a kid and maybe my objectivity suffers a lapse while reviewing it after so much time has passed. A thrilling tale of tracking down ferocious man eaters set in the backdrop of the still simple and laid back hills of Kumaon in Uttarakhand. The fantastic detail in the description of the ways of the people, the animals and the jungle by Corbett is exemplary, much like his legacy in India. A truly great work of writing.
Mike Disalvo
Corbett was the finest hunter of man-eating felines ever to walk the planet.
He could tell more from a bent blade of grass and some misplaced dew, than most people could if they read a book. Discover why he thinks of a tiger as a large-hearted gentleman. He was a expert naturalist as well, knowing all of the animl calls and signs in the jungle.

Go with him as he creeps within 12 ft. of the Thak man-eater, who was asleep (imagine the skill needed to stalk within 12 ft of a tiger! ).

Discover the
Tulsi
A fine example of how you don't need heavy words to make your narration gripping. Its simple and interesting writing and will always be close to my heart as i know the Kumaon region very closely.
The author succeeds in touching you with his writing & manages to put across complex situations in a very simple, clear manner that you actually visualize the scene & become one with the author on his many hunts.
You only feel respect for the Legend-Jim Corbett.
Am really looking forward to readin
  • Death in the Long Grass: A Big Game Hunter's Adventures in the African Bush
  • The Man-Eaters of Tsavo
  • Starlight and Storm
  • The Mountain of My Fear / Deborah : A Wilderness Narrative: Two Mountaineering Classics in One Volume
  • Through the Brazilian Wilderness
  • My Life as an Explorer
  • The Darkest Jungle: The True Story of the Darien Expedition and America's Ill-Fated Race to Connect the Seas
  • Travels Into the Interior of Africa
  • Cooper's Creek
  • No Picnic on Mount Kenya: A Daring Escape, A Perilous Climb
  • The Home Of The Blizzard: A True Story Of Antarctic Survival
  • Journal of a Trapper: In the Rocky Mountains Between 1834 and 1843; Comprising a General Description of the Country, Climate, Rivers, Lakes, Mountains, ETC the Nature and Habits of Animals, Manners and Customs of Indians and a Complete View of the Life...
  • Everest: The West Ridge
  • Adventures in the Unknown Interior of America
  • The Spirit of St. Louis
  • K2, The Savage Mountain: The Classic True Story of Disaster and Survival on the World's Second Highest Mountain
  • The Royal Road to Romance: Travelers' Tales Classics
  • Kabloona
Edward James "Jim" Corbett was a British hunter, turned conservationist, author and naturalist, famous for hunting a large number of man-eaters in India.

Corbett held the rank of colonel in the British Indian Army and was frequently called upon by the government of the United Provinces, now the Indian states of Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand, to kill man-eating tigers and leopards that were harassin
More about Jim Corbett...
The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag The Temple Tiger and More Man-Eaters of Kumaon The Jim Corbett Omnibus. My India Jungle Lore

“Those who have never seen a leopard under favourable conditions in his natural surroundings can have no conception of the grace of movement, and beauty of colouring, of this the most gracefuL and the most beautiful of all animales in our Indian jungles.” 8 likes