Start by marking “The Room on the Roof” as Want to Read:
The Room on the Roof

The Room on the Roof

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  2,507 ratings  ·  126 reviews
The Room on the Roof is Ruskin Bond’s masterpiece of adolescence and coming of age. Written when the author was seventeen, it brilliantly describes the hopes and passions that capture young minds and hearts. A moving tale of love and friendship, it has endured as Bond’s most beloved novel.
Published June 6th 1989 by Penguin Books

To ask other readers questions about The Room on the Roof, please sign up.

Prabir Chaudhuri THE BEST TOPIC TO DO A PRESENTATION ON THIS BOOK IS TO DO ON RUSTY'S EMOTIONS FOR INDIA AND HIS COURAGE.
The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaMidnight's Children by Salman RushdieThe Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri
Best Indian Books
55th out of 604 books — 1,795 voters
2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatRevolution 2020 by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi
Indian Books - Fiction
130th out of 694 books — 1,931 voters

More lists with this book...

Hriday
A fantastic book. Dehra - its hills, bazaars, street vendors, lakes and all the simple charms of a small town.

The best i have read of Ruskin Bond. It makes you rethink about your life, slow down and value the simple pleasures of life.

This book is simply profound and profoundly simple - one of the best i have read.

I wish i was Rusty, the protagonist :D
Anurag Kumar
A Little about the Writer

Ruskin Bond is one of the most celebrated children’s authors in India. He has been actively writing since 1951. In his five decades of writing career Ruskin Bond has lost track of number of books he has written, and he is still active in the literary field enriching them with the tales from Himalayas where he has spent most of his life. Ruskin Bond has been felicitated by Sahitya Akademi Award and Padma Shri.

The Book

The Room on the Roof is Ruskin Bonds first novel, writt
Sherin Punnilath
Coming to think about it, there was nothing much about the story :)
This could have happened in the next street (& gone unnoticed). And that’s the beauty of this novella.

I began, thinking it’s going to be boring, but found it quite interesting. Simple & Good.
Jasmine
Rusty, a sixteen-year-old Anglo-Indian boy, is dissatisfied with life in the declining European community at Dehra Dun… Unhappy with the strict ways of his English guardian, Rusty runs away from home to live with Indian friends. Plunging for the first time into the dream-bright world of the bazaar, Hindu festivals and other aspects of Indian life, Rusty is enchanted...and is lost forever to the prim proprieties of the European community... ‘Like an Indian bazaar itself, the book is filled with t ...more
Namratha
Ruskin Bond's works are the literary equivalent of quiet walks through mist shrouded hill stations. And The Room on the Roof is probably his crowning gem.

Written by Bond when he was seventeen years old, it tells the tale of a lonely teenage ango-indian boy called Rusty. Brought up under the harsh Victorian discipline of his European guardian in Dehra Dun, Rusty eventually rebels and breaks free. He discovers the true flavours of India and the convoluted meaning of friendship in a noisy earthy
Nikhilesh
Mar 20, 2015 Nikhilesh rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Nikhilesh by: Richa
"The light spring rain rode on the wind, into the trees, down the road; it brought an exhilarating freshness to the air, a smell of earth, a scent of flowers; it brought a smile to the eyes of the boy on the road."

These are unabashed fanboy worship five stars. The book is a simple young adult story about a seventeen year old boy discovering adulthood. I cant explain why I loved it so much the way you cant just explain why one loves good music*. As a child one book The Ruskin Bond Children's Omni
Arnab Das
One of the most beautifully written and heartfelt novels I've read. Outstanding achievement for a teenage author (back when Ruskin Bond wrote this).
Pankaj Suneja
After reading this, i feel more inclined to reading the writing of Bond. His writing is so much closer to perception of nature. He touches the genuine and true emotions of any situation. I like his honesty. There is nothing superficial about it.
Anshuman Ansu
Superbly written! The way Bond describes different emotions is fantastic! He was able to capture the moods and feelings in a simple yet subtle way. And to top it off, he was seventeen when he wrote this!! I need to go through more of his work! :D
Indrila
its a simple novel dealing bout a boy's insecure childhood wid his growing adoration n adolescent love
Parmesh Rudra
A Freah Take On Innocence And Aspirations Of Adolescence.
Kartik Kakkar
its a beatiful novel
Nitya Sivasubramanian
Like a breath of fresh air ruffling the stick strands of hair clinging to the nape of my neck, this tiny novella swept in and rinsed my soul clean of all the heavy tomes I've read lately. As crisp and spicy as the golguppa they eat so often, the book is a glimpse at the moment in a boy's life when he becomes a man.
Satyabrat Mishra
Reading through Ruskin Bond's novels is like a walk through a best friend's life... the stories are always personal, simple and unclouded by the myriads of what's called 'style'.
Most of this book has been re-represented in the Rusty series, but still is a joy to read and forget about the world around you.
Hari Sudhan
A pleasant read and a book to remember from Ruskin Bond. The way he describes the rain, the festival, the culture through the eyes of a seventeen year old English boy is impeccable and makes me go back to it.
Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}
in the introduction anita somebody says about herself and her mom and her bro or sis living like 3 peas in a pod and rattling about, and i'm like -anita at least u have a house, not a apartment-smaller rooms therefore more mess in short time and my mom is after me 24/7 going on about my lack of hygiene, and messy room and i'm still sitting on gr and going PFFT.

...now come to think of it, this has absolutely no connection to rusty whatsoever, hmm. wonder if he had a room like a t-rex's litter box
Ashwin
This is my first book from Ruskin Bond. I should say that he is another master story teller. The Storyline of the book is around Rusty, vaguely representing his own life as an Anglo-Indian in Dehra Dun, is interesting and tempts you to read on. Coupled by clean narrations in simple English, this books makes a very good read. Now I should add more of his works to my to-read list.
Abhyudaya Shrivastava
I have a special attachment to this book because Ruskin Bond himself signed it for me. It has everything Ruskin stands for and more.

It's a story for young adults. The protagonist Rusty is a teen Anglo- Indian. There is a lot of adventure and coming-of-age stuff in the book. Ruskin's trademark humour doesn't leave him for one bit in the book. It makes the book much more than a delight. It's a gift you can give to a confused teen soul.

The innocent crush that Rusty has on Meena is the highlight ot
Vaibhav Patil
This book is one of those things that I will gift my children when they turn 16.

I first heard of this book from a friend of mine, Craig.
An Old ragged copies of'The Room on the Roof' was given to Craig by his uncle, hoping to help him with a tough phase in his life, called 'Engineering'.

I had made a note-to-self to read this book in the near future but the name must have slipped out. Untill I found it again in this Sundays edition of Brunch magazine which had a cover story on 'Finest Indian Nove
Stephen
Apr 19, 2015 Stephen rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Stephen by: My Middlebury College student
I have never heard of the author Ruskin Bond until the fall of 2014. My wife and I got involved with a program at Middlebury College that pairs local residents with international students matriculating at the college, starting when they enter as freshman. I filled out the application and questionnaire, and ended up being paired with a girl from India. It turns out the students also completed an application and a questionnaire. At our pairing meeting in October of 2014 we reviewed together each o ...more
Gaurangi Joshi
An Amazing story! One could ever read. It was Ruskin's first book published, alluring tale of Love and friendship! His stories can make you restless...
C.R. Narayanan
"The Room on the Roof" was written by Ruskin Bond while he was seventeen years old. A person who's reading this book without knowing this fact will never be convinced that the writer of this book's a seventeen year old kid. Quality of work is the scale which helps us to discriminate writers. Ruskin Bond made the mercury present in my quality meter burn and boil, making the device burst into pieces.
Stephen King speaks about a pyramid in his book "On Writing." He says that writers can be arranged
Bhaskar Bharti
After finishing the book, i wonder about the prowess of the author at such a tender age of 17. The kind of simplicity, the minute details of small-small events narrated in the story is simply admirable. Moreover, the beauty of the story is such that every individual of current times will feel a 'Rusty' living somewhere in some corner of their heart. Their hearts longing for friends like Somi, Ranbir and Suri and the true friendship, which has not been colored by the adulterates like racism, cast ...more
Vidyullatha
I loved the book for it's portrayal of friendship and brotherhood. This sure is one of my favorites.
Mickey Diwakar
This is my first book of Ruskin Bond. Very beautiful charming novel in simple language. Once somebody said "Simplicity is best" Ruskin Bond proved it. Novel theme is elegant. Writer describes natural beauty like mountains, forest, dales, river. Rusty 17 year old a anglo indian boy who lives with his uncle in Dehra a city of Himachal. After he leaves house because of harshly frustrated uncle. In the Market he makes many friends. He lives the life with adventure, freedom, love, friends affection. ...more
Ashish Kumar
mather chod mujhe the room on the roof ke summary chaya
Himanshu
yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Vaibhavi Sharma
one of my all - time favourites.it moved me.
Abhigyan Siddhant
As a child, discover of Ruskin Bond's literature was a changing point for me. It was through his writing that I nurtured the love of reading and writing. That is just the effect that he has on people. This novel by him is no different in this. The chronicle of a boy through the valleys of Dehradun while he lives and explores is amazing to behold. The sheer brilliance of Bond's writing reflects his deep love of the mountains and nature.
Arpit Jain
This was my first book of Ruskin Bond and I must say I was not disappointed.
I read it when I was just nineteen (Although he wrote it when he was just seventeen) and I felt like some type of deja vu. Well, I'll not disclose the story, but I would say that if you are searching for something Fresh, Light, Scented then you must give it a try.
  • Swami and Friends
  • Kanthapura
  • Pather Dabi: The Right of Way
  • The Man-Eating Leopard of Rudraprayag
  • The Better Man
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish
More about Ruskin Bond...
Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories The Best of Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far The Blue Umbrella Rusty, the Boy from the Hills