Start by marking “A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings: Collected Stories of the Supernatural” as Want to Read:
A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings: Collected Stories of the Supernatural

A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings: Collected Stories of the Supernatural

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  266 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Published September 15th 2004 by Viking Books

To ask other readers questions about A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Face in the Dark and Other Hauntings

Sumit Singla
Ruskin Bond really knows how to create an atmosphere. And of course, all the stories in this book are intended to create an eerie one.

Some of them fail. Spectacularly. There are others, which don't horrify you. In fact, you might even read them, shrug your shoulders, and say, "Ghost stories, seriously?"

BIG mistake! For when it's a dark, rainy night and the power's out due to a storm, you just might hear a faint sound of footsteps and tinkling anklets. Well, in that case, don't sleep!

Considering
Abhinav
3.5 to 4 stars. Would've been half a star less if not for 'The Daffodil Case' featuring Sherlock Holmes.

This book is a collection of ghost stories which are intriguing, sometimes funny & spooky rather than downright scary. Like most short story collections, some fail to live up to the mark as the others. And some parts of the stories often seem to get repetitive, besides a few phrases. But Ruskin Bond being the great writer he is, he never fails to engage your attention & you keep on rea
Manish Mahajan
Loved it. In fact this book is a great influence in me attempting to follow the large footsteps of Ruskin Bond. In my soon to be published book of ghost stories, one of the story is inspired by an excerpt from this book's foreword.

In this collection by Ruskin Bond, there are two things which stand out for me
1) the simple english. I recall the story A Face in the Dark was in our CBSE class 6 or 7 english syllabus. Its indeed masterful to write otherwise complex topics like supernatural in the sim
Neha
Horror genre is not really my cup of tea. But Ruskin Bond stories are not horror they are like experiences. They make you feel you are spending a weekend on a hill station and then late night next to the bonfire everyone starts telling you about the stories they have heard from strangers with haunting experiences. None of these experiences are dangerous, life threatening or altering – they are just different. All his stories are good hearted, honest and believable. They make you warm like the bo ...more
Jayaprakash Satyamurthy
Largely traditional ghost stories, drawing on the British ghost story genre and Indian folklore, they range from the sort of yarns my old Anglo-Indian geography teacher and scout master used to tell us to a couple of surprisingly nasty tales of supernatural come-uppance meted out to representatives of a brash, new India that I'm about as wary of as Bond seems to be. Some humorous tales, some heartbreaking ones and a few fairly average pieces in between, but every story has at least one vivid ima ...more
Ashita Arora
True to Ruskin Bond's style of writing, none of these stories are scary in the literal sense. They'd make you think of ghosts as a part of your life ..there and doing their thing. some of these are actually even funny.
Having said that, each story is beautifully written with each scenario being so descriptive .
Roanna
Ruskin Bond is a new favourite! He really does have a way of telling stories. (My best friend Minila presented me with a copy of this book for my birthday, this year... And I can't wait to buy more books written by him.)

P.S. Some stories overlap with A Season of Ghosts but that's okay, at least I thought it was!
Amrita Basu
Having spent a good portion of my teen years in a sleepy little hilly town , I connect with Bond's idea of eerie , probably a little more than most would. It just exists. No starts, no gasps, no shocks. It simply exists. And you have no choice but to fall in love with it. Beautifully so.
Varun Rajwade
Brilliant writing as usual, Ruskin Bond really is the master of creating and bringing to life a setting. Some of the stories are ok, but others are very nice. Having said that, its horror for all ages, and not very very scary!!
Shinn
Most of the stories in this collection are meant for children, but that cannot really justify the predictable and somewhat unimaginative writing.

I read this mostly for the quaint depictions of northern India and the Anglo-Indian vestiges of the hill stations. The first story A Face in the Dark is reminiscent of the Japanese Nopperabou and I grew up hearing a variation of the story myself. Of the twenty eight stories, I liked The Haunted Bungalow and Ghosts of the Savoy best, but like many other
Meghana Rastogi
superbly penned down short stories...few were humorous and few were Oh-my-god-i-am-having-goosebumps :P Best book for lighting reading :)
Michelle
this is a collection of ghost stories by a british-indian author born and raised in northern india. ruskin bond is extremely prolific.

i found this collection to be filled with trite, predictable, and unconvincing stories. i bought, read and kept it because most of the stories take place in the town of mussoorie. the tibetan nunnery i studied at in india, samten tse, is also in mussoorie. so it was pretty neat to read about the area by one of its most appreciative residents.
Diva
won't be getting more than 4 starts from me this one,it's a little scary, but mostly weird in the "i am Bond, Ruskin Bond way" , more nostalgic than spooky. still his work is always worth a read!
Ashima
the book leaves you with a desire to meet the ghosts! :) Read my book experience at: http://limenlemony.wordpress.com/2012...
Madhavi
Read and re-read and will read again and again and again!
Thyagesh
Thyagesh marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Eureka Alphonso
Eureka Alphonso marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2015
Remi
Remi added it
Jul 27, 2015
Renu Singh
Renu Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2015
Vicky A
Vicky A marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2015
Golden pages
Golden pages marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Nikita Manjrekar
Nikita Manjrekar marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2015
Nitta P
Nitta P marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2015
  • Extreme Solitude
  • Everyone's Reading Bastard
  • Bitter Fruit: The Very Best of Saadat Hasan Manto
  • Brotherly Love
  • Beastly Tales from Here and There
  • The Jeeves Omnibus Vol. 1 (Jeeves, #5, 7, & 2)
  • The Complete Adventures of Feluda, Vol. 2
  • Portrait of a Man Unknown
  • Khushwant Singh Selects Best Indian Short Stories.
  • The Wordkeepers (The Wordkeepers Trilogy, No. 1)
  • When the Nines Roll Over and Other Stories
  • Blood Red Sari
  • Bookless in Baghdad: Reflections on Writing and Writers
  • Town of Cats
  • The Last Of The Great Romantics
  • Hot Tea Across India
  • The Hangman's Replacement: Sprout of Disruption
  • The Mahabharata (Mahabharata, #1)
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish
More about Ruskin Bond...
The Room on the Roof Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories The Best of Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far The Blue Umbrella