Start by marking “Indian Railway Stories” as Want to Read:
Indian Railway Stories

Indian Railway Stories

The stories in this collection capture the essence of the Indian Railways - from the small-town station, at the time of the Raj, to the present day big-city station bursting at the seams. The teening and varied life of the Indian Railway station and its environs have fascinated writers from Jules Verne in the 1870s to more recently Satyajit Ray, R.K. Laxman and more modern ...more
Published March 30th 2003 by Penguin Books Australia (first published January 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Indian Railway Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Indian Railway Stories

Shekhar Ruparelia
Aug 27, 2015 Shekhar Ruparelia rated it liked it

(A slightly longer and more personal review of this book appears on my blog: https://adventuresofatraveller.wordpr... Please do have a look at that too. Thanks!)

This book is split into two halves: stories from before and after India’s independence. And although I’d expected the stories in the first half to fascinate me more, this is where disappointment lay. In place of stories which I expected to make me travel back in time, to a place where railway stations were little hubs of activity and fil
Aditya Iyer
May 21, 2016 Aditya Iyer rated it liked it
I received this book as a gift from my English teacher for performing well academically throughout the year. Had high expectations but other than Jim Corbett's story and a couple more in the 'Stories after Independence' part, the stories were really short and had abrupt endings as the excerpts were badly chosen. Rudyard Kipling's stories are worth skipping. My personal favourites were the 'Cherry Choo Choo and 99 UP as they provided a true insight into railway travel with a small station situate ...more
Indian
Oct 06, 2013 Indian rated it really liked it
Indian railways had always had a magnetic pull on travelers. This short anthology by Ruskin Bond was suggested read by the on-board railway magazine RAIL-BANDHU. I have been an avid reader of RAIL-BANDHU in all my journeys through the Rajdhani, Shatabdi & Durontu trains.
A short story collection is like a buffet lunch, the assortment gives a rare chance for the reader to spot writers of his liking.
I discovered many writers through this book, the most amazing being Bill Aitken. His lucid prose
Debalina
Sep 21, 2016 Debalina rated it really liked it
a quaint little collection reminiscing mainly the old(it's 2016 & this book came out in 1994) Indian Railways and the somewhere-steamy-somewhere-electrical nostalgia associated with it...
a nice little read for times you have less time & much pressure... this book relaxes you... :)
Ravinder
Jan 02, 2014 Ravinder rated it really liked it
Fantastic read.

I liked the stories in the "After Independence" section better. With the exception of The luck of John Fernandez.

For me the best story was The Cherry Choo-Choo, closely followed by Balbir Arora Goes Metric. The stories are not all about Railways. Some are loosely connected to trains or stations.

Personally, I found Rudyard Kipling stories the most difficult/uninteresting, and there are two of them. The second one - The Bold 'Prentice is the better one.

Worth a read once
Jatin Kanwar
Feb 03, 2016 Jatin Kanwar rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
A nice collection of short stories by Indian & foreign authors. The book is divided into two halves , stories before the independence and stories after the independence .
Each story somehow comes and links itself to this Lifeline of India (The gr8 Indian Railways) .
Tanvi
May 02, 2013 Tanvi rated it really liked it
A nice anthology of stories (oh, how I wish I could change that descriptor!). It was quite fun to see so many famous authors gathered around one topic.
Nitish Williamson
A good collection, being a Ruskin Bond fan, gave me insight to what kind of literature would
Aakanksha Singh
Jul 06, 2011 Aakanksha Singh rated it liked it
awesome!
Ritambhara Dixit
Dec 20, 2013 Ritambhara Dixit rated it liked it
okay
Akhilesh Kumar
Akhilesh Kumar rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Isha Dash
Isha Dash marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2016
Rosa
Rosa is currently reading it
Aug 01, 2016
Nikunj
Nikunj rated it liked it
Aug 01, 2016
Shruti
Shruti marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Siddharth Venkataraman
Siddharth Venkataraman marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2016
Rajanish Singh
Rajanish Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Janani
Janani marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2016
Miznanisar
Miznanisar marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Abhijeet
Abhijeet rated it really liked it
Jul 08, 2016
Jyoti Malakar
Jyoti Malakar marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2016
Rohit Mata
Rohit Mata marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2016
Shehtaz
Shehtaz marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2016
Preeti
Preeti is currently reading it
Jun 20, 2016
Sapna Gaidhankar
Sapna Gaidhankar marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2016
Sandip
Sandip marked it as to-read
Jun 18, 2016
Shammas
Shammas marked it as to-read
Jun 08, 2016
Sameer
Sameer marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Cover update 2 17 Feb 03, 2016 01:48PM
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
More about Ruskin Bond...