Start by marking “The Best of Ruskin Bond” as Want to Read:
The Best of Ruskin Bond

The Best of Ruskin Bond

4.25  ·  Rating Details ·  1,808 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The essential Ruskin Bond Delhi Is Not Far brings together the best of Ruskin Bond's prose and poetry. For over four decades, by way of innumerable novels, essays, short stories, and poems, the author has mapped out and peopled a unique literary landscape. This anthology has selections from all of his major books and also features an unpublished novella, Delhi Is Not Far. ...more
Published October 14th 2000 by Penguin India

Sahil
Jul 05, 2015 Sahil rated it it was amazing
I wanted to write this review for a long time but was holding back as my writing skills are not good enough to do justice to a writer of the stature of Ruskin Bond. No matter how many more great books that I read or things that I learn, Ruskin can never be replaced. Ruskin will always have a special place in my heart and let me explain why...

Like any typical North Indian kid, I used to look forward to my summer holidays away form the school. I, along with my cousins, would rush to complete our s
Niloy Mitra
May 31, 2009 Niloy Mitra rated it really liked it
Happened to find this book by chance. Once I started reading it I was unable to put it down. The scenes from the mountains sounded a bit too familiar, and I got drifted off -- to the mountains which has always something to charm the weary soul. The writing is simple, the setting mundane, the characters too real, and the feelings right from the heart. All adds up to create a wonderful world. Every story is charming, may it be the squirrel trying to build a nest in Ruskin's pocket, or the owlet sn ...more
Sandeep
Sep 03, 2015 Sandeep rated it it was amazing
Skipped poetry part, may be some other day!

I love Ruskin Bond, his writing appeals to me.
Whenever I need reminiscence about the good old days, I look to Ruskin Bond.
Whenever I miss the simplicity of life in the hills, I read Ruskin Bond.

Ruskin Bond reminds me of days when growing old was fun, something to look for each day/week/year. These days with lives filled with everything apart from simplicity and originality, I look for solace in the hills or at-least in Ruskin Bond's writing when I am i
Naman Mukesh Chaudhary
Apr 08, 2015 Naman Mukesh Chaudhary rated it really liked it
What review can you write about somebody whose mere name evokes a sense of nostalgia about the hills? Whose writing transports us directly into the markets of Dehrad
Amey Nadkarni
This book is a collection of Bond's 6 novels as it says, namely- The Room on the roof, Vagrants in the Valley, Delhi is not Far, A flight of pegions, The Sensualist and A Handful of Nuts.

As i began the first of the 6 novels- written by Bond when he was only 17!- I found myself being leisurely drawn into the world of this young orphan anglo boy as he drifted through his days in his quaint hilly town of Dehra. The story takes you on a journey with this boy, maintaining a relaxed pace, just like th
Pallavi Kamat
Nov 15, 2013 Pallavi Kamat rated it it was amazing
The book’s blurb reads: “This volume brings together the best of Ruskin Bond’s prose and poetry. For over four decades, by way of innumerable novels, essays, short stories and poems, the author has mapped out and peopled a unique literary landscape. This anthology has selections from all of his major books and includes the classic novella ‘Delhi Is Not Far’.

Girl from Mumbai
“It is always the same with mountains. Once you have lived with them for any length of time, you belong to them. There is no escape.” – Ruskin Bond
There are only a few writers who can make you yearn for a place that you have never been to before. And Ruskin Bond makes one ache for his beloved hills. The book “The Best of Ruskin Bond” is a collection of his different writings from various novels including his masterpiece “Delhi is not Far”. The book is warm, lucid, full of reminiscing, making you
Jasveer Singh
Feb 28, 2013 Jasveer Singh rated it really liked it
Ruskin Bond is James Bond of short stories. He is everything. Simple, clever and deep-sighted. At many occasions, he seems to be afflicted with strong homosexuality . Common man, so what! give him a break!
Even in his very long stories like "Delhi is not far", he does not bore the reader by writing about the unnecessary details of the scenery or of the characters. The characters are simple and Bond never passes any judgments about them. He leaves it to the reader. The story flows very smooth.
You
Gloria
Jun 15, 2012 Gloria rated it really liked it
I am still reading this book, but since it is a collection of his essays and short stories, I can already tell that it will be a favorite book, and that I will want to read other books by this author. Having completed the book, it was a good read, and I enjoyed the perspective of the Indian author. Some of the words he used were unfamiliar to me, and my knowledge of the geography of his country is not as good as it should be. I feel some motivation to improve on this deficit!
Dhanya
Nov 03, 2014 Dhanya rated it really liked it
A good winter read. I had read many if Ruskin Bond's short stories as a child. Reading the book again brought back a lot of memories... the stories still hold all their charm, the picture of hills, trees, flowers, birds and mountains are no less vivid... it transported me to a happy place, long gone.
Deb
Mar 05, 2012 Deb rated it it was amazing
Perfectly captures the experience of being a westerner hopelessly in love with the subcontinent.
Gibin Mathew
Mar 07, 2016 Gibin Mathew rated it liked it
Intresting !
A good onetime read !

This book is a collection of some of the famous works of Ruskin Bond. It includes short stories,essays,travelogues,extracts from his novels and two of his novels(complete). This book will give you a glimpse of different kinds of works of Mr Bond and his contribution to different branches of literary world.

The collection of short stories in this book are refreshing and engaging. Most of this stories are extracts from his personal life and most of this stories rev
Siddharth Nishar
Dec 04, 2015 Siddharth Nishar rated it really liked it
I was fortunate enough to read this while in Kashmir, often overlooking the very ranges Bond is so found of. It makes for quite an experience, although Bond's chief strength is in weaving environments with simple words. His simplicity can awe the reader who has tried to write. However, what makes his stories stick is the tender honesty of the sentiment around which they are woven.

The collection has poems, travelogues and essays in addition to the short stories. I found myself smiling at some of
Saifuddin Shaik
Jul 02, 2016 Saifuddin Shaik rated it really liked it
This is my first Ruskin Bond book, and i picked the best because i didnt know about this wonderful author. The book has very short to short stories which will grip your attention as you progress. The places seem to be mostly of the northern region especially the hilly regions where Ruskin lives now. I was able to connect to the stories as from past 2 years, frequent travelling to the hills made me wonder about the serenity and beauty of the hills.

This is a simple, yet a fantastic read which will
Gangambika
Mar 22, 2013 Gangambika rated it really liked it
It has been more than a decade since I read a book by Ruskin Bond. I remember enjoying his books as a child and then I forgot all about him and moved on to other authors. I'm really glad I came back. And I'm feeling incredibly proud of my reading choices as a child. Bond writes simply and in all his readings you can discern a deep attachment to nature, trees and birds especially. Each of his stories seems to bare his soul for the reader, each story is close to him, personal. An absolute delight ...more
Shubhra
Jan 27, 2015 Shubhra rated it liked it
Ruskin's got a blessed eye for things..and above that,an out of the world imagination which grabs one by surprise..And it's both a good and a not so good thing if you're his reader.The stories run deep,the author's eyes baring all the usual human emotions and tendencies that are so hard to be put in words.And yet there are some of those stories where one keeps wondering as to which specific subject it revolves around.It might put you off temporarily..but lemme tell you,Ruskin is a rare treat.Sur ...more
Keerthi
Jan 17, 2012 Keerthi rated it liked it
He walks through the mountains..Blah blah blah..He does something interesting..but oopsZ!!he again drifts off to the mountains and ..Blha Blah Blah!Really,some of the stories were awesome,some passably good but the majority were a BIG yawn.It was the same,walking through the mountains,observing the nature and other things repeated over and over and over again leaving the reader to pray to god for a change of scene.
Abhishek Panigrahi
Apr 04, 2013 Abhishek Panigrahi rated it it was amazing
the book is very much engaging...i felt a part of me living in this novel,after completing each story it would leave u nostalgic..it will consume u and refine your weary soul into a young one desperately in search of love & friendship..simple writing yet articulated vividly with peerless art..maximum stories are of mountain life inking resplendent beauty, pristine nature and childhood innocence...this book will become a mellow friend in course of time..
Madhubanti Bhattacharyya
The first section 'love and friendship: short stories' made me laugh and cry; that section alone would have made me give this book 10 out of 5 stars. (I have reread My Father's Trees in Dehra and The Kitemaker so many times I can probably recite them from memory.) But the nonfiction turned out to be relatively uneven in quality, which somewhat ruined the book, and even Time stops at Shamli, which I have always loved, could not entirely redeem the book for me.
April Singh
May 14, 2014 April Singh rated it it was amazing
Although i had read most of the stories before, the "on the road" stories were quite refreshing. I never thought that Mr. Bond had traveled so up in the mountains. I had heard of the pilgrim sites in the Himalayas but listening their stories from Mr. Bond was surreal. It felt as if i am seeing the hills and snow and the trees in the pages of the book.
Ishita Sood
Dec 02, 2013 Ishita Sood rated it really liked it
"It is always the same with mountains. Once you have lived with them for any length of time, you belong to them. There is no escape....."

I can really connect to this beautiful quote by Mr. Bond because it describes a part of my life..my childhood in the mountains..Thank you for such wonderful and glorious memories, several of his stories are like going back in time!
Ishita Jain
Nov 25, 2014 Ishita Jain rated it it was amazing
I had actually read this book almost 8-10 years back.I think i had borrowed it from someone. Since that time, this book with its set of amazing stories and essays has stayed with me.
Saw it today while browsing through the Goodreads recommendations.Feeling contended to be reminded of such a good book.Just ordered myself a new copy :)
Puja Narula
Feb 22, 2016 Puja Narula rated it it was amazing
Shelves: loved-the-books
The best of my ever-fav author... I had read most of these stories in other collections, but I can never get enough of the beautiful imagery and real-to-life characters that Ruskin Bond brings to life!
Saurabh Das
May 09, 2016 Saurabh Das rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned
Ruskin Bond's writing is true to its core. A very realistic account of the author's childhood, his friends, his struggling days and his immense love for the hills of India. Amazing writer. A must read author for every literature lover who wants to study Indian English literature.

Prajakta Talekar
Feb 20, 2016 Prajakta Talekar rated it really liked it
If any one is fan of old British culture, love readings books whose time-span is old Victorian or king George era - this is treat for you. Offcourse location of this book is India, but stories are really 'best'.
Nellalou
Jun 12, 2012 Nellalou rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
This author is read in many Indian schools. His work is featured on television, in magazines and movies. His charming stories capture north India at a particular time in history to a T. [Having the privilege of knowing him not withstanding. Best to state my bias here.]
Jayashree R
Oct 12, 2016 Jayashree R rated it liked it
awesome... never got exposed to his books when i was a student.. but got hooked to it after reading a chapter from my daughter's 6th grade book.. so nice, so simple... every day events captured as great stories!! really liked them all!!! plan to read other books of his.
Eryn
Dec 23, 2010 Eryn rated it liked it
This book was recommended to me by a friend. The story he chose was "Time Stops in Shamli" was wonderful. There was a nice plot, memorable characters, humor, and sadness. I also have enjoyed reading and re-reading "Delhi is not Far."
Shreya Cilarapu
  • Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer
  • The Japanese Wife
  • Sultana's Dream
  • Rich Like Us
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent. He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.

He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957. Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establi
More about Ruskin Bond...

“People often ask me why my style is so simple. It is, in fact, deceptively simple, for no two sentences are alike. It is clarity that I am striving to attain, not simplicity.

Of course, some people want literature to be difficult and there are writers who like to make their readers toil and sweat. They hope to be taken more seriously that way. I have always tried to achieve a prose that is easy and conversational. And those who think this is simple should try it for themselves.”
166 likes