Start by marking “The Best of Ruskin Bond” as Want to Read:
The Best of Ruskin Bond

The Best of Ruskin Bond

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,125 ratings  ·  28 reviews
In dull and dusty Pipalnagar, each day is like another, and 'there is not exactly despair, but resignation'. Even the dreams here are small. Adrift among them, the narrator, Arun, a struggling writer of detective novels in Urdu, waits for inspiration to write a blockbuster. Meanwhile, he seeks reassurance in love, and finds it in unusual places: with the young prostitute K ...more
Published October 14th 2000 by Penguin Books India

To ask other readers questions about The Best of Ruskin Bond, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Best of Ruskin Bond

The God of Small Things by Arundhati RoyThe White Tiger by Aravind AdigaA Fine Balance by Rohinton MistryShantaram by Gregory David RobertsMidnight's Children by Salman Rushdie
India
74th out of 410 books — 549 voters
2 States by Chetan BhagatI Too Had A Love Story.. by Ravinder SinghThe 3 Mistakes of My Life by Chetan BhagatRevolution 2020 by Chetan BhagatThe Immortals of Meluha by Amish Tripathi
Indian Books - Fiction
189th out of 679 books — 1,681 voters

More lists with this book...

Niloy Mitra
Happened to find this book by chance. Once I started reading it I was unable to put it down. The scenes from the mountains sounded a bit too familiar, and I got drifted off -- to the mountains which has always something to charm the weary soul. The writing is simple, the setting mundane, the characters too real, and the feelings right from the heart. All adds up to create a wonderful world. Every story is charming, may it be the squirrel trying to build a nest in Ruskin's pocket, or the owlet sn ...more
Amey Nadkarni
This book is a collection of Bond's 6 novels as it says, namely- The Room on the roof, Vagrants in the Valley, Delhi is not Far, A flight of pegions, The Sensualist and A Handful of Nuts.

As i began the first of the 6 novels- written by Bond when he was only 17!- I found myself being leisurely drawn into the world of this young orphan anglo boy as he drifted through his days in his quaint hilly town of Dehra. The story takes you on a journey with this boy, maintaining a relaxed pace, just like th
Jasveer Singh
Ruskin Bond is James Bond of short stories. He is everything. Simple, clever and deep-sighted. At many occasions, he seems to be afflicted with strong homosexuality . Common man, so what! give him a break!
Even in his very long stories like "Delhi is not far", he does not bore the reader by writing about the unnecessary details of the scenery or of the characters. The characters are simple and Bond never passes any judgments about them. He leaves it to the reader. The story flows very smooth.
You
Gloria
I am still reading this book, but since it is a collection of his essays and short stories, I can already tell that it will be a favorite book, and that I will want to read other books by this author. Having completed the book, it was a good read, and I enjoyed the perspective of the Indian author. Some of the words he used were unfamiliar to me, and my knowledge of the geography of his country is not as good as it should be. I feel some motivation to improve on this deficit!
Dhanya
A good winter read. I had read many if Ruskin Bond's short stories as a child. Reading the book again brought back a lot of memories... the stories still hold all their charm, the picture of hills, trees, flowers, birds and mountains are no less vivid... it transported me to a happy place, long gone.
Deb
Perfectly captures the experience of being a westerner hopelessly in love with the subcontinent.
Pallavi Kamat
The book’s blurb reads: “This volume brings together the best of Ruskin Bond’s prose and poetry. For over four decades, by way of innumerable novels, essays, short stories and poems, the author has mapped out and peopled a unique literary landscape. This anthology has selections from all of his major books and includes the classic novella ‘Delhi Is Not Far’.

What review can you write about somebody whose mere name evokes a sense of nostalgia about the hills? Whose writing transports us directly i
Madhubanti Bhattacharyya
The first section 'love and friendship: short stories' made me laugh and cry; that section alone would have made me give this book 10 out of 5 stars. (I have reread My Father's Trees in Dehra and The Kitemaker so many times I can probably recite them from memory.) But the nonfiction turned out to be relatively uneven in quality, which somewhat ruined the book, and even Time stops at Shamli, which I have always loved, could not entirely redeem the book for me.
Ishita Jain
I had actually read this book almost 8-10 years back.I think i had borrowed it from someone. Since that time, this book with its set of amazing stories and essays has stayed with me.
Saw it today while browsing through the Goodreads recommendations.Feeling contended to be reminded of such a good book.Just ordered myself a new copy :)
Syeda Samia Dilrus
Full of heart warming tales that transport you to rain filled roads surrounded by damp trees and petrichor all around.
Abhiraj Rajadhyaksha
The book contains a fabulous variation in terms of genres. Hats off to the author.
Sharjeel Khan
Aug 30, 2014 Sharjeel Khan marked it as to-read
just because i like rukin bond's books and stories
Stella
It has been more than a decade since I read a book by Ruskin Bond. I remember enjoying his books as a child and then I forgot all about him and moved on to other authors. I'm really glad I came back. And I'm feeling incredibly proud of my reading choices as a child. Bond writes simply and in all his readings you can discern a deep attachment to nature, trees and birds especially. Each of his stories seems to bare his soul for the reader, each story is close to him, personal. An absolute delight ...more
Abhishek Panigrahi
the book is very much engaging...i felt a part of me living in this novel,after completing each story it would leave u nostalgic..it will consume u and refine your weary soul into a young one desperately in search of love & friendship..simple writing yet articulated vividly with peerless art..maximum stories are of mountain life inking resplendent beauty, pristine nature and childhood innocence...this book will become a mellow friend in course of time..
Tina
So engaging...leaves you nostalgic !
Keerthi
He walks through the mountains..Blah blah blah..He does something interesting..but oopsZ!!he again drifts off to the mountains and ..Blha Blah Blah!Really,some of the stories were awesome,some passably good but the majority were a BIG yawn.It was the same,walking through the mountains,observing the nature and other things repeated over and over and over again leaving the reader to pray to god for a change of scene.
April Singh
Although i had read most of the stories before, the "on the road" stories were quite refreshing. I never thought that Mr. Bond had traveled so up in the mountains. I had heard of the pilgrim sites in the Himalayas but listening their stories from Mr. Bond was surreal. It felt as if i am seeing the hills and snow and the trees in the pages of the book.
Nellalou
This author is read in many Indian schools. His work is featured on television, in magazines and movies. His charming stories capture north India at a particular time in history to a T. [Having the privilege of knowing him not withstanding. Best to state my bias here.]
Eryn
This book was recommended to me by a friend. The story he chose was "Time Stops in Shamli" was wonderful. There was a nice plot, memorable characters, humor, and sadness. I also have enjoyed reading and re-reading "Delhi is not Far."
Viraj Verma
A very rich and thrilling collection of short tales of love, romance and even horror in and around the Garhwal mountain region of india by our very own, Wordsworth in prose, Ruskin Bond.
Varun Channa
good collection..
Anuja Papriwal
Sep 11, 2012 Anuja Papriwal rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: light readers looking to visit the mountains
transports me to the mountains. never fails to do that even now since childhood! Ruskin Bond will always have a soft corner in my heart.
Sudhir
The short stories are brilliant and instantly connect to the narrative of these stories...
Ritambhara Dixit
Most awesome book ever....
Ila
A must have for a Bond fan.
Amit Kumar
loved it...
Parth
Feb 12, 2012 Parth marked it as to-read
X
Shreyas
nice
Priyanshusingh
Priyanshusingh marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2015
  • Chronicle of a Corpse Bearer
  • The Japanese Wife
  • Truth, Love and a Little Malice
  • Vanity Bagh
Ruskin Bond is an Indian author of British descent.He is considered to be an icon among Indian writers and children's authors and a top novelist.
He wrote his first novel, The Room on the Roof, when he was seventeen which won John Llewellyn Rhys Memorial Prize in 1957.
Since then he has written several novellas, over 500 short stories, as well as various essays and poems, all of which have establish
More about Ruskin Bond...
The Room on the Roof Night Train at Deoli: And Other Stories Delhi Is Not Far Rusty, the Boy from the Hills The Blue Umbrella

“People often ask me why my style is so simple. It is, in fact, deceptively simple, for no two sentences are alike. It is clarity that I am striving to attain, not simplicity.

Of course, some people want literature to be difficult and there are writers who like to make their readers toil and sweat. They hope to be taken more seriously that way. I have always tried to achieve a prose that is easy and conversational. And those who think this is simple should try it for themselves.”
120 likes