Start by marking “The Living Daylights” as Want to Read:
The Living Daylights

The Living Daylights

James Bond is in Berlin battling the KGB's most deadly assassin. Cold tense nights, exotic weapons, a very unhappy M, and a surprising romance--it's all in a day's work for master spy 007 James Bond. Anthony Valentine reads with a cool, assertive tone and a familiar accent that are entirely right as Bond.
Audio Cassette, 0 pages
Published June 28th 1994 by DH Audio (first published June 1st 1962)

Richard Derus
Aug 14, 2013 Richard Derus rated it liked it
Rating: 3* of five

Again a reminder that the 1987 film is what I'm reviewing, not the Fleming story.

Ye gods and little fishes. That's some uninteresting Bond-age. Fell asleep twice. Bratislava? Vienna? Can anyone tell the difference? The plot's very much as always, and that's not a problem if the series has its hooks into you. But the problem with this film is the 1980s-ness of it. What was wit in 1967 is sarcasm in 1987. What was seductive in 1967 is sexual harassment in 1987.

Highlights: this f
Heather Clitheroe
Jun 05, 2011 Heather Clitheroe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
For a first introduction to Ian Fleming, it's surprisingly cogent. The character of James Bond isn't new to me - both the James Bond of old and the newer, rawer version found in Daniel Craig. But this is a more considered James Bond to be found in Ian Fleming's writings - one who isn't entirely satisfied with his work, whose head is, yes, turned by pretty women, but who takes a tranquilizer to sleep the day before an assassination assignment. This is a James Bond I can like.

And bravo to the Peng
Aedan Lake
Feb 26, 2011 Aedan Lake rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Two neat little stories - the first Bond short stories I have read, and rather good too. Unusual missions in both stories ("The Living Daylights" and "From a View to a Kill") with a focus on waiting, watching, and drinking until the enemy shows his hand. Fleming's Bond is particularly snobbish and dismissive here, as he muses on life, nature, the awfulness of Berlin, the awfulness of Paris, how disappointing French women are, the time that he lost his virginity and his note-case ...more
Mark Easton
While James Bond translates naturally from the page to film, there's something in Fleming's writing, a brisk but stylish veneer, that the films fail to capture, stripping Bond's elegance and his encyclopaedic and intimate knowledge of drinks and guns, and replacing them with a singular taste for dry martinis and Walther PPKs.

Given the continual and frequent production of Bond films, reading the Living Daylights is something of a magic tonic. Not only does it show Bond as the discriminating, hard
John
Nov 30, 2014 John rated it liked it
With this, I finish all of the original James Bond stories. Fleming is at best not a great writer, and he really only likes two things (Jamaica and describing luxury items that Bond is wearing/driving/etc.). This was a collection of short stories that didn't work nearly as well as the other set (For Your Eyes Only), but that are better than most of the "late" books (which are really just short stories anyways).
Rafal Kudlinski
Jun 11, 2015 Rafal Kudlinski rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What can I say.... Huge KUDOS to screenwriters of the James Bond movie "The Living Daylights". Movie is very insightful,story is way better told and action keeps you glued to the tv screen for way over 2 hours. Skip this really poor JB story and watch the movie. The Living Daylights is my all time favourite James Bond movie and this story is something I wish I never read...
From IMdb:
James Bond is living on the edge to stop an evil arms dealer from starting another world war. Bond crosses all seven continents in order to stop the evil Whitaker and General Koskov.
Bookstorequeer
Jul 04, 2011 Bookstorequeer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, spy-thriller
This was great! I've never read a Bond book or short story but this mini-collection made me want to. Fleming's writing is a pleasure to read and the stories are very exciting! Bond is the epitome of an action hero and this offering from Penguin does not disappoint.
Fred Voon
A glimpse and taste of the original Bond. What struck me in these two stories was the women: (a) they appear only to be desired, and so only the desirable ones matter (b) they (the desirable type) are Bond's singular weakness.
Sep 05, 2012 Laura rated it liked it
Love James Bond, but I think I love the movies more. The writing and plot were great, but just something was missing. Still good, and I'll be updating the rest of my backlist shortly.
Krista
Sep 19, 2009 Krista rated it liked it
Shelves: short-stories
Very cool little story. It goes much more into James Bond as a person than "Octopussy" did. Short and sweet...well, for a sniper story.
Bobobo
Bobobo rated it liked it
Oct 04, 2014
Stephen Theaker
Stephen Theaker rated it really liked it
Apr 18, 2011
Samy
Samy rated it it was ok
Nov 20, 2013
Tatiana
Tatiana rated it really liked it
Dec 17, 2015
Ashish
Jan 08, 2013 Ashish rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining
Nigel Bentley
Nigel Bentley rated it liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Swagat Siby
Swagat Siby rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Alison
Alison rated it liked it
Jan 19, 2015
Maryann
Maryann rated it it was ok
Oct 07, 2010
Michael
Michael rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Shaun
Shaun rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2011
Jessica
Jessica rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Rahul Upadhyay
Rahul Upadhyay rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2013
Tony
Tony rated it liked it
Apr 20, 2012
Sanket Totewar
Sanket Totewar rated it really liked it
Apr 28, 2012
Joe O'Loughlin
Joe O'Loughlin rated it liked it
Oct 23, 2011
Graeme Wallace
Graeme Wallace rated it really liked it
Oct 24, 2015
Pratik Mate
Pratik Mate rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2013
Ryan
Ryan rated it really liked it
Sep 02, 2014
  • The Queen's Necklace
  • The Crime Wave at Blandings
  • Dear Illusion
  • Rich In Russia (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Bliss
  • Short Treatise on the Joys of Morphinism
  • Red Rose, White Rose
  • The Sexes
  • Some Of Us Had Been Threatening Our Friend Colby (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Lunar Caustic
  • The Expelled (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Children On Their Birthdays
  • The Adulterous Woman
  • Through the Wall
  • The Last Demon
  • Babylon Revisited (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • The Tooth (Penguin Mini Modern Classics)
  • Flypaper

Ian Lancaster Fleming was a British author, journalist and Second World War Navy Commander. Fleming is best remembered for creating the character of James Bond and chronicling his adventures in twelve novels and nine short stories. Additionally, Fleming wrote the children's story Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and two
More about Ian Fleming...