Start by marking “The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood” as Want to Read:
The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood

The Blindfold Horse: Memories of a Persian Childhood

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  59 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Long before the momentous Iranian Revolution of 1979, which placed the country under strict religious rule, Shusha Guppy grew up in a Persia delicately balanced between traditional Islamic society and the transforming forces of westernisation. In this memoir, she recreates the lost world of her childhood before the oil boom and the eventual overthrow of the Shah. Her tales ...more
Published July 20th 1997 by Beacon Press (first published 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Blindfold Horse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blindfold Horse

Jenny (Reading Envy)
Shusha Guppy, who died in 2008, moved to Paris from Persia in 1950 at the age of 16. The oil conflicts and 1979 revolution happened after she had left her country, so this memoir of her childhood (1938-1950) has a sense of a fairy tale at times, telling a story of a place that no longer exists the way she experienced it.

After she moved away, she became a writer, composer, and singer, making her friends among the French and English artist communities.

You can see hear some of her singing in YouTu
Amir
Dec 04, 2012 Amir rated it really liked it
I just finished reading this memoir. It took me to places that were both familiar and exotic. The writer (now deceased) belongs to a different time in Iran and a different social stratum than my own. Her childhood was definitely privileged, compared to the majority of the population, and it is not clear from her writing how aware of this fact she has been. For those of us who were raised in more ordinary, middle-class families in Iran, her memoir has voyeuristic value. But what's remarkable abou ...more
Camela
Oct 26, 2009 Camela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
I loved this book much more the first time I read it because it was all new then. It taught me a lot about Iran before the ayatollahs. It's funny the times I've used something I learned from this book in conversation.
Lora
Oct 03, 2009 Lora rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is fun to read.
S
Aug 14, 2013 S rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am totally aware that my fairly high rating of this book is totally due to the fact that I spent my childhood in Iran hearing about the Iran of my father's childhood and always wanting to hear more. Well, this is the more that I always wanted since Ms. Guppy is of the same generation of my father though she seems to have grown up in a more traditional household than that of my father.

She explains so many things about the Iran of old and about the customs surrounding so much that is life in Ira
Leila
Jan 15, 2013 Leila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lyrically written memoir about growing up in Persia in the time of the Shahs--a lost world now. I notice the author, now deceased, has caught a little flak on Goodreads for "classism"... But she does not hide the fact that she is describing her childhood in an upper class home, not does she imply that her experience was universal. Not to mention that it makes little sense to impose the current construct of "class" to a time before the 1960s.. A light, enjoyable read.
Ann-katrin
Aug 26, 2012 Ann-katrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Guppy, with her beautiful language, paints a world unknown to many of us, and very familiar to those who were there, it's a story about a Persian childhood, and about growing as a woman. Guppy describes a world that no longer exists, and does it in a spell binding way.
Ginger
Mar 01, 2008 Ginger rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
At this point I've read so many growing up in the Iranian revolution stories that it's hard for me to weed one out from another, but this one was my leas favorite.
اویس
Oct 25, 2010 اویس rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the biography of a mildly arrogant but highly intelligent Persian woman..I loved her razor sharp recollections and witty musings...
Melinda
May 12, 2014 Melinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
A beautifully written memoir. Pre Revolution days in Iran. Enjoyed this book very much. Great tales shared.
Jbondandrews
May 20, 2012 Jbondandrews rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting set of short stories, she writes like Marjane Satrapi.
Ahmed Mustafa
Ahmed Mustafa marked it as to-read
Apr 16, 2016
Valentin Mahrwald
Valentin Mahrwald marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Ivinee
Ivinee marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2016
Matt
Matt marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2016
Anne
Anne marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Nurbanu
Nurbanu marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Merve Irem
Merve Irem marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Jan 31, 2016
Zeeshan Fatima
Zeeshan Fatima marked it as to-read
Dec 30, 2015
Elika
Elika marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2015
Dan Eggleston
Dan Eggleston rated it really liked it
Dec 23, 2015
Gamze Tatarashvili
Gamze Tatarashvili marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2015
Kasey Rhee
Kasey Rhee marked it as to-read
Dec 10, 2015
Tamamamin
Tamamamin is currently reading it
Oct 01, 2015
Katie Mokhtarzadeh
Katie Mokhtarzadeh rated it liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Banafsheh Serov
Banafsheh Serov rated it liked it
May 07, 2015
Jonathan
Jonathan rated it did not like it
Mar 11, 2015