Start by marking “Handyman (Handyman #1)” as Want to Read:
Handyman (Handyman #1)

Read eBook

Handyman (Handyman #1)

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,268 Ratings  ·  193 Reviews
High-powered stock trader. Simple handyman. Can they find common ground?

Will Spencer is a player with a reputation for using and discarding lovers as easily as he earns big money on Wall Street. Handsome, sexy and openly gay, he’s used to having whatever—and whoever—he wants at the snap of his fingers.

And what he wants now is his new handyman, Jack Crawford. But Jack is sk
Published September 16th 2008 by Samhain (first published August 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Handyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handyman

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyTry by Ella Frank
Best "Out For You" Romance
23rd out of 558 books — 1,486 voters
Cut & Run by Madeleine UrbanZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFish & Chips by Madeleine UrbanFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsHot Head by Damon Suede
The Best of Gay Romance
106th out of 2,623 books — 2,763 voters

More lists with this book...

J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
4.5 Stars!!

Based on the title and the cover, you would think this book was pure smut!

Instead it was a very sweet, slow build GFY/OFY romance! My favorite!

Will has taken a step back from his hectic life on Wall Street. He's on sabbatical and does some day trading from home. He's looking to have some renovations done at his house. Enter Jack, the handyman.

Jack is 14 years older than Will. He was married for 20+ years before he lost his wife suddenly. He has two grown sons. Two years have passed
Daisiemae
Apr 15, 2009 Daisiemae rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Daisiemae by: Brenda (natesmomb)

Claire Thompson’s book are either a hit or miss with me. Not to say she isn’t a great writer, because she is. She has a tendency to write very erotic novels, while of course I love. BUT, in some of her books, I don’t feel that the characters have an emotional connection between them. The heroes are always very sexy and the writing is sexually explicit, but I always prefer my heroes to have an emotional bond, also. In Handyman, I think she did an awesome job with the heroes having both
Arianna
Dec 17, 2014 Arianna rated it really liked it
4.5 STARS

“Handyman” is a very good slow-paced gay for you m/m that tells the story of Jack and Will two men who have their own fears, different fears, but who together they will find their peace and happiness.

Until three months ago, Will (30) had lived in the city, working as a trader in a prestigious investment bank. He took a break for his job and from the city and he’s looking for a handyman because he wants to have some renovations done at his new house.

Jack, the handyman is in his forties
Melissa (Ever So Mela)
Jun 14, 2015 Melissa (Ever So Mela) rated it did not like it
Shelves: did-not-finish, m-m
DNF 59%

I did promise a microscopic rant. So here it is...

It can't get any shorter than that.
Vio
Oct 21, 2011 Vio rated it really liked it
Recommended to Vio by: Simsala

I loved the way the relationship between Jack and Will developed slowly, they really got to know each other becoming friends before getting all hot and heavy, the build up was lovely and romantic. Will was very smart with his slow courting of a skittish Jack, who was fighting his attraction to Will and the realization he might be gay. The love scenes were tender as well as sexy, there were a couple of sizzling moments that were very, very nice. One sweet read, recommended for anyone who
Buggy
Jan 23, 2013 Buggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Opening Line:"Straight. The word popped into Will's head."

With a sweet, moving and emotional story The Handyman was a pretty good read however definitely more on the sweeter side of the erotica scale. The set up here reminds me very much of Faith & Fidelity and its basically a character driven M/M romance with more sexual tension then actual sex scenes. In fact it’s like 150 pages of really good foreplay before we get any serious action. (Although a couple of the kissing scenes are off the c
Katharina
Aug 10, 2013 Katharina rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
I decided to read this book because I liked the blurb of the story. It seemed rather predictable, but sometimes I don't want originality, I just want a nice, easy, predictable read. And this is mostly the right book for that.

I liked the characters, especially Jack. Jack is an 'older' guy (actually 44 years old doesn't seem old to me, but it's older than most characters in romance fiction tend to be) who's been married for 24 rather passionless, but loving years and widowed for 2. He has had exac
Camille
Aug 05, 2012 Camille rated it it was amazing
A strong story, a lovely one too. I especially enjoyed Jack's character and his tale of finding himself, love and a new life after having had so much taken away from him and so much else buried for over two decades. I love stories where people find their truth and are courageous enough to grasp it. And as regards courage, it's the trait I most appreciated in Will. He went after what and who he wanted.

Despite their miscommunications at times and fears and insecurities on both sides these men str
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
3.5 Stars
Audrey
4.5 to 5 stars. Bare chests. Neckties. Toolbelts. Can it get any better??

This story was a Kindle lend that I will convert into a purchase. It was that enjoyable.

The story, in a nutshell: On leave from his Wall Street investment banker position, Will moves to the suburbs and buys a fixer upper house. Who helps him fix it up? Why, the titular handyman, Jack, of course. Will is gay; Jack's a widower who thought he was straight all his life...except for that one incident with his best friend when he
Beck
Original review... Jack...a man of integrity, a man of his word...stoic, stable, responsible, reliable...what happens to a man like this when his only 'responsibility' is for his own happiness? Will...a 'player'...wealthy, self-assured and comfortable with his casual, shallow relationships...what happens to a man like this when he steps back from the frenetic pace of his life and contemplates his future? Together they explore 'virgin' territory...Jack's almost virginal innocence about sex and pa ...more
Rachel
Sep 13, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Rachel by: Daisiemae
Handyman is one of the best books I've ever read. I loved Will and Jack so much! I really became involved with these complex men. I loved how they really got to know one another before any kind of physical involvement started between them. But, when they did take their relationship to the next level, it made it that much sweeter and hot! I wish Claire would write more of these unique and wonderful men. I loved them and I know I'll be reading their story many times over the years to come!
Verity T. Ease
Apr 28, 2015 Verity T. Ease rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m, gay-for-you
At about 10% I'd thought about DNFing this one. I found the writing to be a bit awkward, rough around the edges and the dialogues where as wooden as a plank.
Having said that, this is actually quite a sweet story about being brave enough to live your life to the fullest and giving yourself permission to be true to yourself.
Either the writing became a tad better later on in the book or the story was interesting enough to overlook any shortcomings, hence the 3 stars.
Susan65
Mar 03, 2013 Susan65 rated it liked it
It was an okay read. Sweet in some ways and hot in others. The only issue I had was that it dragged on in places and i skipped ahead a lot.
Gigi
Oct 22, 2015 Gigi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mm-children
Review shortly!
Kati
Jun 07, 2009 Kati rated it liked it
The summary of this story sounded like something I would love - a recent widower meets an openly gay man, they fall for each other and start exploring their new relationship together. Unfortunately, I should have known that this "exploring" will be of sexual nature only. I mean, I liked Jack, the handyman, with all his insecurities and desires to finally start living now that his wife of twenty six years died, but I just couldn't fall for Will. I mean, he promised Jack not to rush him, to respec ...more
Jenre
Jun 09, 2010 Jenre rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, contemporary, romance
A great 'straight to gay' m/m book which I thought took a realistic view of a straight widower who suddenly discovers that he has feelings for a gay man. There was a great deal of wonderful sexual tension and a slow build up to acting on their attraction which made it more appealing than if they'd jumped straight into be with each other. I also liked the way that Jack is shown to have had some, if limited, experience with a man previously in his life as that made it more likely that he would wan ...more
DaisyGirl
Oct 28, 2012 DaisyGirl rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars

This was a sweet story. Will Spencer is a successful day-trader who is handsome, sexy, and openly gay. He has a history of casual relationships but has never been in love. After witnessing his boss collapse and die right in front of him, Will decides to escape the stress and pressures of city life and moves to a fixer-upper in the suburbs.

Handyman Jack Crawford is a recent widower who never thought of himself as gay. Freaked out years ago by an erotic encounter with his best friend, he
Nathalie
Jan 10, 2013 Nathalie rated it really liked it
I devoured this book! Completely and utterly devoured it! Minimal angst, relatively predictable, addressing all the right points and with lengthy monologues it usually wouldn't be a book that jumped out at me but it was just what I needed. I know that may not make it sound appealing but it was! if your looking for something light and sweet, this is the book for you.

A fluffy romantic story about two men falling in love and one of them finally coming to terms with his sexuality. While fluffy, the
Spring
Jul 16, 2009 Spring rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Spring by: Daisiemae
This is the first book I have read by this author. One thing I really liked about it was the way Will and Jack got to know one another, before they jumped into a sexual relationship. That's refreshing for this genre.
Really loved it. Look forward to reading more by this author.
ThatEzi  (Oh My Shelves)

*Christmas gift from Sirius!
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
i really enjoyed this. :)
Megan
I really enjoyed this book. It was my first by Claire Thompson. The story was cute and emotional, coming to terms with who you really are, deep down. I would recommend this to fans of m/m romance, it was erotica but that didn't overpower the book at all. Just enough to kick up the steam factor without making it just another 200 page sex scene like some other books.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

The main character, Jack, is a 44 year old contractor who has been widowed for two years. He had a sexual encounter
Chris, the Dalek King
Will Spencer saw what life on Wall Street did to his boss, so he takes a sabbatical, buys a house in the 'burbs, and tries to figure out exactly what he wants out of life. First, though, he is going to need to figure out what to do with his house...because while it has its charms, the interior decorating is not one of them.

When he hires Jake to help fix his kitchen he has no plans on seducing the man. Jake is nearly fifteen years older, straight, and not at all what Will is looking for in a bed
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I'm a bit disappointed. I think this book started with a great idea which had a lot of potential, but wasn't exploited as it deserved.

The two main characters, Jack - the handyman - and Will - his client - are almost opposites. Jack is 44, a widower with two 20-something sons, he married at 18, his work is manual, he is a very down-to-earth, solid man, he is very good at his job, but he's very humble, he takes pleasure in simple things, at the beginning he is not a sensual man, not really good-lo
Candice
Jun 15, 2013 Candice rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"The heart wants what it wants" Thank you Woody Allen :)

4.5 Stars

To be honest, this would have been a 5 star read from me, but I was missing the Epi. Then I saw there's a free short on Claire Thompson's website.

I am still going to keep my rating though. I LOVED this story! It will definitely be in my Top Books of 2013! Jack and Will. My heart is so full. Yes there are a few errors, but I can overlook those.

Jack is a handyman and is recommended to Will from a friend to renovate his kitchen. Wi
Major English (Laura)
Feb 09, 2013 Major English (Laura) rated it really liked it
Shelves: sex, may-re-read

Don't judge this book by its cover! Book to Me says "sexy romp" but there is emotion in this book too.

The writing: Great vocab words mixed in! Had me looking in the dictionary. But also Very redundant writing. Same sentiments/Thoughts/ideas/rhetorical questions mentioned over and over. Jack asking himself endless rhetorical questions. As a part of Jack's realization of his attraction to men/Will I thought some of his words were a bit disrespectful to his dead wife.

Small errors: At one point Jac
Kelster
Dec 08, 2014 Kelster rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and the realism of their relationship. Beautiful story!!
Heidi Ryan
Nov 01, 2015 Heidi Ryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Where to start? I loved this story! When I saw the title, I immediately thought older man hires a young guy and falls for him. I was so wrong! This book turned my expectations completely around. This book has great characters, great pace, and is a wonderful twist to the usual. I really wasn't sure of anything once I got into it. I was hooked from the get go. Will is a guarded guy who is living life big time. When the stress of Stock Trader life is wearing him down, he takes a break and moves awa ...more
Heather C
This was a quick, enjoyable story with fairly low angst. I thought the GFY aspect was handled really well along with all the communication problems. What I didn't like was some of the flashbacks that occurred in the middle of sex scenes and...(view spoiler)
  • Just For You
  • Letting In the Light
  • The One That Got Away
  • Second Sight
  • Got Mistletoe?
  • Precious Ache
  • Drawn Together
  • Finding Home (Quinn Security, #1)
  • Falling (Falling #1)
  • Out of My Mind
  • At Long Last (Scott and Preston, #1)
  • Man to Man (Hero, #1)
  • And Call Me in the Morning (And Call Me in the Morning #1)
  • Love, Jamie (Love, #1)
  • Off the Beaten Path
I have published erotic fiction and romance since 1996. My work includes the sensual exploration of D/s and erotic romance, as well as the darker side of BDSM. My work includes in-depth exploration of both m/f and m/m relationships, in the context of romance and D/s. I have published over fifty novels and short stories, both in print and ebook format.
It is important to me to write about real peop
More about Claire Thompson...

Handyman (2 books)
  • Be My Handyman (Handyman, #1.1)

“It's a matter of visualizing what you want and then making it happen.” 0 likes