Start by marking “Handyman (Handyman #1)” as Want to Read:
Handyman (Handyman #1)
Read eBook

Handyman (Handyman #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  2,036 ratings  ·  166 reviews
High-powered stock trader. Simple handyman. Can they find common ground?

Will Spencer is a player with a reputation for using and discarding lovers as easily as he earns big money on Wall Street. Handsome, sexy and openly gay, he’s used to having whatever—and whoever—he wants at the snap of his fingers.

And what he wants now is his new handyman, Jack Crawford. But Jack is sk
Published September 16th 2008 by Samhain (first published August 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Handyman, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Handyman

Hot Head by Damon SuedeFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsPromises by Marie SextonWithout Reservations by J.L. LangleyThe Assignment by Evangeline Anderson
Best Gay For You Romance
21st out of 518 books — 1,273 voters
Cut & Run by Abigail RouxZero at the Bone by Jane SevilleFaith & Fidelity by Tere MichaelsFish & Chips by Abigail RouxPromises by Marie Sexton
The Best of Gay Romance
100th out of 2,373 books — 2,456 voters

More lists with this book...

J *I did it all for the nookie.The book nookie*
4.5 Stars!!

Based on the title and the cover, you would think this book was pure smut!

Instead it was a very sweet, slow build GFY/OFY romance! My favorite!

Will has taken a step back from his hectic life on Wall Street. He's on sabbatical and does some day trading from home. He's looking to have some renovations done at his house. Enter Jack, the handyman.

Jack is 14 years older than Will. He was married for 20+ years before he lost his wife suddenly. He has two grown sons. Two years have passed
Baba  ♥♥♥ Tyler, Marcus, Archer, Dean, Adrian, Dan & Hunter
Live in the moment. Just live now, savor the joy that is now.

4.5 stars.

I’d highly recommend Handyman to those readers who’d like to give the m-m genre a try. Even though the plot is very simple, the characters, the message and the dialogue are very evocative. It’s thoughtful. It’s tender. It’s beautiful. It’s real. It’s believable. Give this story a try—I assume you wouldn’t regret it.

I think what made this story so special was Jack Crawford. He's a widower. Handyman is about Jack’s sexual ident
Daisiemae

Claire Thompson’s book are either a hit or miss with me. Not to say she isn’t a great writer, because she is. She has a tendency to write very erotic novels, while of course I love. BUT, in some of her books, I don’t feel that the characters have an emotional connection between them. The heroes are always very sexy and the writing is sexually explicit, but I always prefer my heroes to have an emotional bond, also. In Handyman, I think she did an awesome job with the heroes having both
Arianna
4.5 STARS

“Handyman” is a very good slow-paced gay for you m/m that tells the story of Jack and Will two men who have their own fears, different fears, but who together they will find their peace and happiness.

Until three months ago, Will (30) had lived in the city, working as a trader in a prestigious investment bank. He took a break for his job and from the city and he’s looking for a handyman because he wants to have some renovations done at his new house.

Jack, the handyman is in his forties
Vio

I loved the way the relationship between Jack and Will developed slowly, they really got to know each other becoming friends before getting all hot and heavy, the build up was lovely and romantic. Will was very smart with his slow courting of a skittish Jack, who was fighting his attraction to Will and the realization he might be gay. The love scenes were tender as well as sexy, there were a couple of sizzling moments that were very, very nice. One sweet read, recommended for anyone who
Buggy
Opening Line:"Straight. The word popped into Will's head."

With a sweet, moving and emotional story The Handyman was a pretty good read however definitely more on the sweeter side of the erotica scale. The set up here reminds me very much of Faith & Fidelity and its basically a character driven M/M romance with more sexual tension then actual sex scenes. In fact it’s like 150 pages of really good foreplay before we get any serious action. (Although a couple of the kissing scenes are off the c
Camille
A strong story, a lovely one too. I especially enjoyed Jack's character and his tale of finding himself, love and a new life after having had so much taken away from him and so much else buried for over two decades. I love stories where people find their truth and are courageous enough to grasp it. And as regards courage, it's the trait I most appreciated in Will. He went after what and who he wanted.

Despite their miscommunications at times and fears and insecurities on both sides these men str
Katharina
I decided to read this book because I liked the blurb of the story. It seemed rather predictable, but sometimes I don't want originality, I just want a nice, easy, predictable read. And this is mostly the right book for that.

I liked the characters, especially Jack. Jack is an 'older' guy (actually 44 years old doesn't seem old to me, but it's older than most characters in romance fiction tend to be) who's been married for 24 rather passionless, but loving years and widowed for 2. He has had exac
Beck
Original review... Jack...a man of integrity, a man of his word...stoic, stable, responsible, reliable...what happens to a man like this when his only 'responsibility' is for his own happiness? Will...a 'player'...wealthy, self-assured and comfortable with his casual, shallow relationships...what happens to a man like this when he steps back from the frenetic pace of his life and contemplates his future? Together they explore 'virgin' territory...Jack's almost virginal innocence about sex and pa ...more
Rachel
Handyman is one of the best books I've ever read. I loved Will and Jack so much! I really became involved with these complex men. I loved how they really got to know one another before any kind of physical involvement started between them. But, when they did take their relationship to the next level, it made it that much sweeter and hot! I wish Claire would write more of these unique and wonderful men. I loved them and I know I'll be reading their story many times over the years to come!
Verity Tease
At about 10% I'd thought about DNFing this one. I found the writing to be a bit awkward, rough around the edges and the dialogues where as wooden as a plank.
Having said that, this is actually quite a sweet story about being brave enough to live your life to the fullest and giving yourself permission to be true to yourself.
Either the writing became a tad better later on in the book or the story was interesting enough to overlook any shortcomings, hence the 3 stars.
Susan65
It was an okay read. Sweet in some ways and hot in others. The only issue I had was that it dragged on in places and i skipped ahead a lot.
Audrey
4.5 to 5 stars. Bare chests. Neckties. Toolbelts. Can it get any better??

This story was a Kindle lend that I will convert into a purchase. It was that enjoyable.

The story, in a nutshell: On leave from his Wall Street investment banker position, Will moves to the suburbs and buys a fixer upper house. Who helps him fix it up? Why, the titular handyman, Jack, of course. Will is gay; Jack's a widower who thought he was straight all his life...except for that one incident with his best friend when he
Kati
The summary of this story sounded like something I would love - a recent widower meets an openly gay man, they fall for each other and start exploring their new relationship together. Unfortunately, I should have known that this "exploring" will be of sexual nature only. I mean, I liked Jack, the handyman, with all his insecurities and desires to finally start living now that his wife of twenty six years died, but I just couldn't fall for Will. I mean, he promised Jack not to rush him, to respec ...more
Jenre
A great 'straight to gay' m/m book which I thought took a realistic view of a straight widower who suddenly discovers that he has feelings for a gay man. There was a great deal of wonderful sexual tension and a slow build up to acting on their attraction which made it more appealing than if they'd jumped straight into be with each other. I also liked the way that Jack is shown to have had some, if limited, experience with a man previously in his life as that made it more likely that he would wan ...more
DaisyGirl
3.5 Stars

This was a sweet story. Will Spencer is a successful day-trader who is handsome, sexy, and openly gay. He has a history of casual relationships but has never been in love. After witnessing his boss collapse and die right in front of him, Will decides to escape the stress and pressures of city life and moves to a fixer-upper in the suburbs.

Handyman Jack Crawford is a recent widower who never thought of himself as gay. Freaked out years ago by an erotic encounter with his best friend, he
Nathalie
I devoured this book! Completely and utterly devoured it! Minimal angst, relatively predictable, addressing all the right points and with lengthy monologues it usually wouldn't be a book that jumped out at me but it was just what I needed. I know that may not make it sound appealing but it was! if your looking for something light and sweet, this is the book for you.

A fluffy romantic story about two men falling in love and one of them finally coming to terms with his sexuality. While fluffy, the
Spring
Jul 16, 2009 Spring rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Spring by: Daisiemae
This is the first book I have read by this author. One thing I really liked about it was the way Will and Jack got to know one another, before they jumped into a sexual relationship. That's refreshing for this genre.
Really loved it. Look forward to reading more by this author.
Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel  (Oh My Shelves)
Jan 21, 2015 Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel (Oh My Shelves) marked it as to-read
Recommended to Ezinwanyi~the Impish Angel by: UnusualChild{beppy}

*Christmas gift from Sirius!
Megan
I really enjoyed this book. It was my first by Claire Thompson. The story was cute and emotional, coming to terms with who you really are, deep down. I would recommend this to fans of m/m romance, it was erotica but that didn't overpower the book at all. Just enough to kick up the steam factor without making it just another 200 page sex scene like some other books.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!

The main character, Jack, is a 44 year old contractor who has been widowed for two years. He had a sexual encounter
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
I'm a bit disappointed. I think this book started with a great idea which had a lot of potential, but wasn't exploited as it deserved.

The two main characters, Jack - the handyman - and Will - his client - are almost opposites. Jack is 44, a widower with two 20-something sons, he married at 18, his work is manual, he is a very down-to-earth, solid man, he is very good at his job, but he's very humble, he takes pleasure in simple things, at the beginning he is not a sensual man, not really good-lo
Candice
"The heart wants what it wants" Thank you Woody Allen :)

4.5 Stars

To be honest, this would have been a 5 star read from me, but I was missing the Epi. Then I saw there's a free short on Claire Thompson's website.

I am still going to keep my rating though. I LOVED this story! It will definitely be in my Top Books of 2013! Jack and Will. My heart is so full. Yes there are a few errors, but I can overlook those.

Jack is a handyman and is recommended to Will from a friend to renovate his kitchen. Wi
Major English (Laura)

Don't judge this book by its cover! Book to Me says "sexy romp" but there is emotion in this book too.

The writing: Great vocab words mixed in! Had me looking in the dictionary. But also Very redundant writing. Same sentiments/Thoughts/ideas/rhetorical questions mentioned over and over. Jack asking himself endless rhetorical questions. As a part of Jack's realization of his attraction to men/Will I thought some of his words were a bit disrespectful to his dead wife.

Small errors: At one point Jac
Kelster
I really enjoyed this book. I loved the characters and the realism of their relationship. Beautiful story!!
Heather C
This was a quick, enjoyable story with fairly low angst. I thought the GFY aspect was handled really well along with all the communication problems. What I didn't like was some of the flashbacks that occurred in the middle of sex scenes and...(view spoiler)
Jennifer☠Pher☠
3.5's - This was a very beautiful romance. Two people meeting and falling in love. I really enjoyed it. If you want to read something that just flows with no angst this book would be for you. It is just a beautiful story about two people discovering each other and love. Very sweet. ...more
Kathy
Handyman is one of those books that comes out of nowhere, takes a hold of your imagination and heart and won't let go until you're done... if even then.

Will and Jack are, on the surface, very different. Will Spencer's taking a 6 month sabbatical from his job as a trader for an investment bank ~ having your boss drop dead in front of you can do that to a man who is following in his footsteps. He's moved to the suburbs and bought himself a beautiful old house that needs a lot of work.
Enter Jack
Tara
Will Spencer is a slick business man from New York who likes to live from hook-up to hook-up surviving on sex and coffee to keep him going. He decides to take a sabbatical after his boss has a heart attack so he doesn't end up the same way. Jack Crawford is a handyman and widower. His wife passed away 2 years ago after 24 years of marriage and raising 2 sons. Will has bought a house in Westchester that needs a good deal of fixing up. He hires Jack, who in general prefers to remain on a professio ...more
  • Just For You
  • Letting In the Light
  • And Call Me in the Morning
  • The One That Got Away
  • Precious Ache
  • Love Means... Courage (Farm, #0.5)
  • The Rebuilding Year
  • Str8te Boys
  • Faith & Fidelity (Faith, Love, & Devotion, #1)
  • Something Different
  • Finding Home (Quinn Security, #1)
  • Got Mistletoe?
I have published erotic fiction and romance since 1996. My work includes the sensual exploration of D/s and erotic romance, as well as the darker side of BDSM. My work includes in-depth exploration of both m/f and m/m relationships, in the context of romance and D/s. I have published over fifty novels and short stories, both in print and ebook format.
It is important to me to write about real peop
More about Claire Thompson...

Handyman (2 books)
  • Be My Handyman (Handyman, #1.1)
Polar Reaction Accidental Slave Obsession: Girl Abducted Switch Enslaved

“beneath his head, closing his eyes to put Jack more at his ease. He felt the light touch of Jack’s calloused fingers on his belly, then” 0 likes