Start by marking “The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas” as Want to Read:
The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas

The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  32 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In Texas "Yankee" is a loose term covering a lot of ground. If you're not a Texan or a southerner, you're a Yankee and therefore, to many Texans, suspect. There are many rites of passage to being a Yankee in Texas: the first time you spot a pickup with a gun rack; the first time you realize that a week is a long time to go without Mexican food; the first time you recognize ...more
Published December 27th 2001 by Republic of Texas Press (first published January 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Yankee Chick's Survival Guide to Texas

Lil (Heidi)
This had a lot of good info in it, but it's so outdated compared to what I have seen since moving here that I wish there was a more current version (this was written in 2002). That said, she's dead-on balls correct about the driving. It's like NYC driving but with trucks. Luckily my car is small and has great pick-up, because merging is advisory.

I have only been in Dallas for a week now and I have definitely noticed they use a lot less profanity than I'm used to up North. At least I had a heads
As a fifth-generation Texan married to a Yankee boy from Pennsylvania, my eyes have long been open to the ways of life we Texans take for granted but that constitute major culture shock for a Yankee. For example, I'll never forget the time my then-boyfriend-now-hubby yelled, "Stop the truck!" while we were barreling down the highway. Terrified that something was wrong, I hit the brakes and gasped, "What?" Hubby waved a wild arm. "There's a guy out there on a horse, and he's ROPING A COW!" was hi ...more
Rayfes Mondal
I've lived in Texas almost my entire life but this book about Texans from a New Yorker's view was hilarious. Quick read that you can finish in a few days. From the same author as the Introvert's Way. But is much biased with a suburban Dallas POV vs inner city Austin.
The chapters on fashion were a bit dated and uninteresting to me, but overall, this was a fun read. I definitely have the undying, fierce, and sometimes oddly extreme love of Texas that was discussed so thoroughly in this book. I see what's wrong with this state and I love it despite itself. Dembling provides an entertaining exploration of Texas from a subjective standpoint, and I laughed aloud many times as she pointed out the good, the bad, and the ridiculously strange.
♥L♥ ♥J♥
I'm a Native Texan and found this book to be thoroughly delightful and pretty spot on. It's evident that much thought and research were put in. I'd not only recommend this book for newcomers to Texas, but also for Native Texans as well. Very accurate and entertaining!!
I just moved to Texas (DFW area), so I can't comment on how true all the Texas stereotypes are, but I sure got a kick out of reading this book. I giggled out loud more than once, though. I will try to update this review after I've been living in TX for a while!

Just wanted to add: Keep in mind that this book was written by and for a pretty specific audience. By this I don't mean "Women from the Northeast moving to Texas," instead I mean "middle to upper middle class white women." There wasn't muc
Amusing book full of stereotypical Texas behavior (many of which I found to be accurate from what I've observed in my short time in the state). Worth the read for a little chuckle and for a brief education on the state. Also of note, contrary to a popular Texan myth, it is not illegal to pick bluebonnets, the state flower (something I was recently told by a Texan).
I enjoyed this book immensely...thanks so much Rose for getting this for me! Very funny, great tips, a good book to keep on my library shelves. :)
Excellent guide by a yankee chick to the oddities and fun of Texas society.
Jana Anderson
Very helpful with a move to Texas.
Douglas Eu
Douglas Eu marked it as to-read
Nov 07, 2015
Brittany marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2015
Lynn Corley
Lynn Corley marked it as to-read
Aug 10, 2015
Judy added it
Mar 01, 2015
Debby marked it as to-read
Jan 03, 2015
Laurel added it
Nov 29, 2014
Mlshukers marked it as to-read
Oct 14, 2014
Robin Birdsong
Robin Birdsong marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2014