Start by marking “Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II” as Want to Read:
Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II

Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  7 reviews
Here is the fascinating story of the first women to fly U.S. military aircraft—the Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) of World War II. Although these pioneers were never allowed to fly in combat, they did fly in many essential wartime missions—some that the men didn't even want to take on.

Through firsthand accounts, these women share their experiences as they test-fly n

Published September 1st 2001 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Doodle Gals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Doodle Gals

Mia K
Yankee Doodle: Woman pilots of World War II, is a non-fiction book, written by Amy Nathan. The book is about all the woman pilots who helped the US Air Force. The most unique about all these stories of woman, encouraged to help, is that during that period of time woman were not allowed to be in any type of fighting. After all, most of them achieve their dream to become pilots and to help man, by delivering supplies.

The book was interesting and the best part of it was when they were showing pic
Kim
This is a great add to my middle school shelves. Not only is our mascot the Aviators, my 5th and 6th graders are fascinated with WWII. I also love it because students today have very little knowledge about women's rights and the changes that have occurred within the last century. Amazing piece of US history!
Duane
Anyone needed to know about WASPS and the tremendous role they carried out during WW2 will find this book a treasure. Filled with great photographs and done in easy-to-read writing style, this book is a definite for any library's collection. Starting with a great introduction on how the program started, it takes you through the various stages of the ladies becoming pilots and the numerous duties they carried out for their country. Ending with the unfair disbanding of the program, it also takes y ...more
Maggie Burgess
I checked this book out from the library, but this is definitely one that I will buy for my (someday) daughter's library.

I had never heard of the WASP girls, but I am so glad I know about them now, and I will tell others about them now! These are brave, strong women who made a difference! And to think after all the hard work, Congress put a quick end to the program! Still, these women are heroes. The pictures, the information... I'm just so happy I found this book!

Boys will enjoy learning about
Rebecca
I picked up this book for hair/costuming purposes, but ended up reading it. It's a juvenile book, but well written. The women who flew during WWII sound strong and interesting and I was impressed by their stories.
Misti
Picked this up at my library because I got interested in women and the war after reading Code Name Verity. It's written for children but still has some interesting things.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 18, 2010 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: display at library
Cool concept, but the style is too clearly targeted at the juvenile age group. Has a pretty good bibliography.
Alison
Alison marked it as to-read
Jan 26, 2015
Kimberlee
Kimberlee marked it as to-read
Jan 23, 2015
Stephanie George
Stephanie George marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Elsa
Elsa marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Kim Knutson
Kim Knutson marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2015
Dana Probert
Dana Probert marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Julie Day
Julie Day marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2015
Megs
Megs marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2014
Debbie Rozier
Debbie Rozier marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Brian
Brian marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Maggie
Maggie marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
May 23, 2014
Jeff Bentley
Jeff Bentley marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
My books cover a wide range of topics, from women's history to dance to allowances to how to make practicing a musical instrument — or doing homework — less of a hassle.

However, all my books have something in common: They introduce you to amazing people whose stories have inspired me and, I hope, will spur you to keep following your dreams, no matter what kinds of obstacles may pop up from time t
More about Amy Nathan...
Meet the Dancers: From Ballet, Broadway, and Beyond Count on Us: American Women in the Military Round and Round Together: Taking a Merry-Go-Round Ride into the Civil Rights Movement Meet the Musicians: From Prodigies (or not) to Pros Take a Seat -- Make a Stand: A Hero in the Family