Start by marking “Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II” as Want to Read:
Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II

Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots Of World War II

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  43 Ratings  ·  10 Reviews
Here is the fascinating story of the first women to fly U.S. military aircraftthe Women Airforce Service Pilots (WASPs) of World War II. Although these pioneers were never allowed to fly in combat, they did fly in many essential wartime missionssome that the men didn't even want to take on.

Through firsthand accounts, these women share their experiences as they test-fly new

Published September 1st 2001 by National Geographic Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Yankee Doodle Gals, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yankee Doodle Gals

Apr 27, 2015 Kiri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: flying
Absolutely fantastic history of American women pilots in WWII (WASPs). Although I found this book in the "juvenile" section of my library, it is eminently readable by adults. There are a few glossing-over moments, but they don't detract from the stories. There are women who flew planes from where they were made to where they would head overseas (ferry pilots), women who dragged canvas targets behind planes so soldiers on the ground could practice shooting at them (!), and women who tested repair ...more
Nov 19, 2009 Duane rated it it was amazing
Anyone needed to know about WASPS and the tremendous role they carried out during WW2 will find this book a treasure. Filled with great photographs and done in easy-to-read writing style, this book is a definite for any library's collection. Starting with a great introduction on how the program started, it takes you through the various stages of the ladies becoming pilots and the numerous duties they carried out for their country. Ending with the unfair disbanding of the program, it also takes y ...more
Maggie Burgess
Nov 16, 2013 Maggie Burgess rated it really liked it
I checked this book out from the library, but this is definitely one that I will buy for my (someday) daughter's library.

I had never heard of the WASP girls, but I am so glad I know about them now, and I will tell others about them now! These are brave, strong women who made a difference! And to think after all the hard work, Congress put a quick end to the program! Still, these women are heroes. The pictures, the information... I'm just so happy I found this book!

Boys will enjoy learning about
Mia K
Apr 29, 2014 Mia K rated it it was ok
Yankee Doodle: Woman pilots of World War II, is a non-fiction book, written by Amy Nathan. The book is about all the woman pilots who helped the US Air Force. The most unique about all these stories of woman, encouraged to help, is that during that period of time woman were not allowed to be in any type of fighting. After all, most of them achieve their dream to become pilots and to help man, by delivering supplies.

The book was interesting and the best part of it was when they were showing pic
Aug 26, 2014 Kim rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a great add to my middle school shelves. Not only is our mascot the Aviators, my 5th and 6th graders are fascinated with WWII. I also love it because students today have very little knowledge about women's rights and the changes that have occurred within the last century. Amazing piece of US history!
Jun 15, 2010 Rebecca rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked up this book for hair/costuming purposes, but ended up reading it. It's a juvenile book, but well written. The women who flew during WWII sound strong and interesting and I was impressed by their stories.
May 15, 2012 Misti rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Picked this up at my library because I got interested in women and the war after reading Code Name Verity. It's written for children but still has some interesting things.
Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides
Nov 18, 2010 Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides marked it as decided-not-to-read
Recommended to Snail in Danger (Sid) by: display at library
Cool concept, but the style is too clearly targeted at the juvenile age group. Has a pretty good bibliography.
Jul 12, 2015 Harla rated it it was amazing
Great JUV non-fiction for adults! Just enough information to satisfy my need to know without me having to read a 400 page book. I love it. The story of these women is amazing!
Katharine Ott
Jun 16, 2015 Katharine Ott rated it liked it
Shelves: middle-grade
"Yankee Doodle Gals: Women Pilots of World War II" - written by Amy Nathan and published in 2001 by National Geographic Children's Books. Lots of interesting details and photographs.
John Moseley
John Moseley rated it really liked it
Jun 14, 2015
Jen rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2015
MICHAEL UVA rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2015
Amy Templer
Amy Templer rated it really liked it
Jul 11, 2014
Jenn rated it really liked it
Nov 24, 2009
Carol rated it it was amazing
Nov 25, 2015
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2014
Vanessa Johnston
Vanessa Johnston rated it liked it
Apr 29, 2014
Kyle rated it really liked it
Jan 09, 2016
Kathryn rated it really liked it
May 28, 2010
andra bostian ferguson
andra bostian ferguson rated it it was amazing
Jul 14, 2016
ARLENE BAKER rated it it was amazing
Mar 02, 2015
Nicole Monk
Nicole Monk rated it it was ok
Apr 11, 2012
Sarah rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2013
Elizabeth rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Marye W. Holton
Marye W. Holton rated it it was amazing
Dec 19, 2015
Bonnie rated it liked it
May 28, 2012
Kirsten rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2015
Penny Linsenmayer
Penny Linsenmayer rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2015
Katrina rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2011
My books cover a wide range of topics, from women's history to dance to allowances to how to make practicing a musical instrument — or doing homework — less of a hassle.

However, all my books have something in common: They introduce you to amazing people whose stories have inspired me and, I hope, will spur you to keep following your dreams, no matter what kinds of obstacles may pop up from time t
More about Amy Nathan...