Start by marking “if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you?: Selected Journals” as Want to Read:
if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you?: Selected Journals

if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you?: Selected Journals

From cat food to death, bra size to spirituality, family to goose poop (yes, goose poop), these are the journals of Canadian recording artist Jann Arden. Her writing is wry and insightful, confessional and compassionate. Also included in if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you? are Jann's line drawings and open spaces inviting readers to think out loud, be human, draw, emo ...more
Published October 15th 2002 by Insomniac Pr (first published January 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about if i knew, don't you think i'd tell you?

Selena Robins
Jul 07, 2015 Selena Robins rated it it was amazing
I love Jann Arden's music, so when I came across this book at the Library I was excited to read it.

Jann could have her own stand-up comedy show, and it would be a hit. Her wit comes across in this short journal. It's like reading a good friend's entries, as you are swept into her mind, as she shares about her life, her family, her creativity and her journey as one of Canada's top musical talents.

As well as entertaining, she keeps it real, and as she does on stage or in an interview she comes acr
MsClaire
Mar 06, 2014 MsClaire rated it really liked it
I loved this book, for its honesty and humor.

I always thought Jan Arden would be an interesting person to meet in real life so it was wonderful to discover that her writings have this way of making you feel you have met her.

I am not big on biographies, but her journal is wonderful and quirky peek into her past in a pleasing way.

Jann is not only a good lyricist, and singer, but she writes a good read as well.
Gisele
Mar 27, 2016 Gisele rated it it was amazing
I am a long time Jann Arden fan...just saw her in concert in September 2014. I loved this book! The selected journals portrayed Jann Arden much as I'd imagined she would be...funny and genuine. The entries were varied; some were funny, others somber and sad, most were touching and poignant... much food for thought. A wonderful read!
Susan
Jann Arden likes words, dislikes rain, and thinks her mother and father are 'the best parents ever!!' with an 'I-think-she-doth-protest-too-much' level of enthusiasm. She also thinks we should all be more spiritual (religious?) and nicer to each other.

Should I mention that it irritates me when people say mean things then protest 'just joking!'? They virtually never are...
Debra Komar
Aug 29, 2014 Debra Komar rated it really liked it
A very pleasant surprise. Normally, "journals" are naval gazing exercises in ego but this one is more poetic, thoughtful and laugh out loud funny than that. She is not afraid to share some darkness and her moods fluctuate with the tides - very human. I wish the illustrations were larger - tough to see the doodles sometimes.
Mike
Jun 12, 2015 Mike rated it really liked it
I am from the boomer club too! A lot of her thoughts and words resonated with mine.
She shoots from the lip ... A straight shooter who calls it out loud!
It's a journal. An easy read and funny with just the right twist of sarcasm and drama.
I'd recommend it!
Anne Marie
Jul 30, 2011 Anne Marie rated it it was amazing
Fun, thankful, grateful, sad, real, original, intense, her observations about human nature and candour regarding her own thoughts and feelings are refreshingly honest and are much needed inspiration in anyone's life.....beautiful. Thanks for your courage, jann!
Crystal
Jun 27, 2015 Crystal rated it really liked it
Quick and easy ready, I've always thought Jann Arden hilarious. This doesn't disappoint. Also poetic and emotional at times.
Brian Bradley
Oct 21, 2013 Brian Bradley rated it it was amazing
Easy read - but uplifting.
Pikasam
Dec 01, 2009 Pikasam rated it it was amazing
I laughed and cried my way through this book. I'm amazed at some of her insights. And her understanding of cats.

Her diaries are now on her website, and still as funny as ever.
Eva
Jul 15, 2011 Eva rated it it was amazing
I am a huge fan of Jann Arden's and, just as in her lyrics, her soul is exposed in her words.
Mandy Vachon
Jul 06, 2013 Mandy Vachon rated it it was amazing
Huge fan of Jann Ardens, and I really enjoyed reading this book! :)
Donna
Oct 26, 2016 Donna rated it really liked it
Jann Arden: So profound one minute, so funny the next. She dredges up my memories with her vivid Alberta childhood recollections. She always makes me smile.
Shadoh
Dec 12, 2011 Shadoh rated it did not like it
disappointing, of interest only to herself, as journals are.
Chalene
Chalene rated it really liked it
Apr 17, 2015
Theryn Fleming
Theryn Fleming rated it it was ok
Jul 07, 2010
Richard
Richard rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2013
Katie
Katie rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2011
Laurel
Laurel rated it really liked it
Apr 13, 2008
Lin
Lin rated it liked it
Nov 20, 2011
Michael Bavaro
Michael Bavaro rated it it was amazing
Apr 05, 2013
Christine Cameron
Christine Cameron rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it really liked it
Nov 28, 2011
Cdubbub
Cdubbub rated it liked it
Sep 01, 2013
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Feb 02, 2008
Lindsay Goto
Lindsay Goto rated it it was amazing
Feb 20, 2011
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Feb 15, 2016
Karen
Karen rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2011
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was ok
Apr 27, 2015
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Dec 22, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Gangs of America: The Rise of Corporate Power and the Disabling of Democracy
  • Where I Belong
  • The Norton Anthology of Modern & Contemporary Poetry, Vol 1: Modern Poetry
  • Soul of the Samurai: Modern Translations of Three Classic Works of Zen  Bushido
  • Sex in the Sea: Our Intimate Connection with Sex-Changing Fish, Romantic Lobsters, Kinky Squid, and Other Salty Erotica of the Deep
  • The Penguin Book of Japanese Verse
  • Nowhere with You: The East Coast Anthems of Joel Plaskett, The Emergency and Thrush Hermit
  • I Hated to Do It: Stories of a Life