Start by marking “Swiss Mist” as Want to Read:
Swiss Mist

Swiss Mist

When Milo is in fifth grade, his parents get divorced, and his teacher, Ms. Swinford, helps him make it through the year. He loves hearing her sing “The Happy Wanderer” and reminisce about the year she lived in Switzerland during college, practically on the misty slopes of the Matterhorn. The Matterhorn! During the next five years, Milo moves through the mists of Washingto ...more
Published October 28th 2008 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (BYR)

To ask other readers questions about Swiss Mist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Swiss Mist

Jaycee Bernardi
Aug 22, 2015 Jaycee Bernardi rated it liked it
I have mixed emotions about this book.
I enjoyed this book because it went on about real life events, but executed it in such a way that didn't make it depressing to read, but could make you laugh along with the misfortunes and the lessons Milo had to learn. Each character was well developed so I was able to get a good, interpersonal feel with each one as a reader.
I was upset by the resolution, I believed that Milo should've had something he truly wished for happen to him. He chased for such th
Mel Raschke
Between fifth and tenth grade, Milo loses a few youthful illusions and searches for some meaning to life in this laid-back Washington. He records his parents’ divorce, multiple moves, his rarely seen father’s superficial philosophizing, and his more practical mother’s efforts to make a go of it as a single mom—all while following a loner’s path, keeping a low profile at school, he usually leaves his own reactions between the lines of this novel.
Christine
Oct 20, 2013 Christine rated it liked it
Good, quirky coming-of-age book that talks deeply and complexly about life and truth. I liked it. It may haven't been the first time I've read the book--It's been sitting on my bookshelf for almost a year now--but after re-reading it again today, I realized just how much I actually appreciate the book. I also liked the idea of the Cog. And the main character, Milo, I liked him too. Mainly, because in a way, he reminded me of myself. [3 Stars]
Tracie
May 18, 2010 Tracie rated it liked it
As an adult I liked this look at Milo's life from 5th-12th grade, but I'm still not sure who I'd recommend this story to. Milo is a good kid whose parents divorce. His mother is somewhat timid, but willing to sacrifice for them while his father, a professor of philosophy, fired for a dalliance with a student, seeks enlightenment through various life paths.
Molly Blaisdell
Jan 08, 2009 Molly Blaisdell rated it it was amazing
One of the best YA writers out there, folks. Yet another artful story that brings together what it really means to be a teenager. Another book that embraces the upside, downside, inside and outside of normal everyday life. Someone give this author some Printz love or National Book Award love because he totally deserves it.
Heather
Halfway through, I thought this book was nothing new, but by the end, I realized it had a lot going for it. One of the best: it doesn't try to solve any of Milo's problems or tell you what he (or you) ought to conclude from his experiences.
Ali
Jan 30, 2009 Ali added it
A nice story about a teen boy. He's trying to find his philosophy, his way to live life. I appreciate that it is a teen book without a dead parent, drunk driving crash, eating disorder, abusive relationship, etc.
Kate
Mar 12, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it
interesting to follow the little kiddo becoming a boy being able to give an observation to his dad having trouble finding his life trails..
Adrienne
Adrienne rated it it was ok
Nov 30, 2009
Sudha
Sudha rated it it was amazing
Jan 20, 2013
Megan
Megan rated it really liked it
Dec 30, 2008
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Jun 20, 2009
Jessica
Jessica rated it really liked it
Aug 19, 2013
Nicki Fox
Nicki Fox rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2015
Lauren Ip
Lauren Ip rated it really liked it
Mar 19, 2013
Ericka
Ericka rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2013
Dawn Reck
Dawn Reck rated it really liked it
Feb 13, 2014
Jaydnen Drake
Jaydnen Drake rated it really liked it
Oct 20, 2013
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2016
Brooke
Sep 21, 2008 Brooke rated it really liked it
Nicely quirky story of a boy finding himself. Funny, too.
M.
M. rated it liked it
Oct 19, 2013
Megan Anderson
Megan Anderson rated it liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Ray
Ray rated it it was amazing
Feb 03, 2009
Dave Kiersh
Dave Kiersh rated it it was amazing
Sep 14, 2012
Jordan
Jordan rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2014
Jec Mendiola
Oct 06, 2014 Jec Mendiola rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorite
Quirky and funny. I love that it didn't focus about romance but life in general.
Sydney Bortz
Sydney Bortz rated it really liked it
Dec 05, 2014
B.J.
B.J. rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2009
Sydney
Sydney rated it it was amazing
Sep 28, 2014
I've lived in Seattle all my life -- since 1956. I live here now with my wife, Judy, and our two sons, Eli and Drew. I like the outdoors, books, fresh crab and raw oysters, and rain.

As a kid, I was crazy about sports. All sports. When I wasn't playing the real thing, I was playing some imaginary form of it. I wasn't a great athlete, just obsessed. I peaked when I was eleven. Our little league foot
More about Randy Powell...