Start by marking “Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)” as Want to Read:
Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #2)

Engaging Father Christmas (Father Christmas #2)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  333 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Miranda Carson can't wait to return to England for Christmas and to be with her boyfriend, Ian. She has spent a lifetime yearning for a place to call home, and she's sure Carlton Heath will be it, especially when a hinted-at engagement ring slips into the conversation.
But Miranda's high hopes for a jolly Christmas with the small circle of people she has come to love are
Published October 30th 2008 by FaithWords (first published October 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Engaging Father Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Engaging Father Christmas

Jody
*Some spoilers ahead.* I enjoyed this book, but the storyline didn't take the turns I thought it would. The dustjacket states "the matriarch of the Whitcombe family refuses to bless Miranda and Ian's relationship." It also says "family secrets threaten all her relationships in unanticipated ways," and "she finds the promise of so much more in the arms of a certain Father Christmas." First off, the matriarch didn't even have anything to say about their relationship, and the only "family secret" i ...more
Kristin
I picked this up unaware that it was a sequel. I knew the author penned a series that my daughter had enjoyed (Christy), which caused me to want to give it a try.

"Truth has a way of rising to the surface. Sometimes you must wait for truth to float to the top. Other times you must go to it, take it by the hand, and pull it up with all your might."

The author was stating this in the context of family and hiding parentage. But the quote rings true in so many instances. Sometimes it's more than diffi
Melissa
I really liked the connection between Ian and Miranda may not have her blood family to support her, but she is beginning to see that she has plenty of family that cares for her. On this trip back to Carlton Heath a member of her chosen family is in the hospital and they all need to be there for support. As you read about Katherine being worried about Miranda after her long trip you can tell that she worries about all the people she loves so much. Even through the stress of the illness Ian and Mi ...more
Title: ENGAGING FATHER CHRISTMAS
Author: Robin Jones Gunn
Publisher: Faith Words
2008
ISBN: 978-0-446-17946-1
Genre: Inspirational/Christmas/contemporary

Miranda Carson has just returned to England to spend Christmas with her Scottish boyfriend, Ian, and his family, who manages a tea shop in a small town in the English country-side. But Ian is running late meeting Miranda at the airport, and the first person Miranda sees is her former boyfriend, Josh. After a few minutes spent catching up, Josh goes h
Mary
Engaging Father Christmas is the continuation of Miranda Carson's journey to search for her father and become a beloved member of a family, which began in Finding Father Christmas.

At the beginning of the story we find Miranda at Paddington Station having just arrived from the United States to spend Christmas with the Whitcombe family (the family of her now deceased birth father) and the McGregor family in Carlton Heath England. While awaiting the arrival of her beloved Ian, she happens to bump
KDNH
Talk about perfect timing for a book! I finished this one the day after Christmas and it was such a cute and cozy little read during the holiday. The sequel to Finding Father Christmas, Engaging Father Christmas continues with Miranda’s journey as she heads back to Carlton Heath one year after her discovery of a family she never knew. Now happily involved with a special someone, Miranda feels sentimental as she travels back to the tiny town that welcomed her with open arms the first time she vis ...more
Emily
I'll kind of combine my thoughts on Finding Father Christmas and Engaging Father Christmas, since I read the, right after another as though they were one big book. There might possibly be spoilers. I'll try to keep it as spoiler free as possible though.

I genuinely enjoyed these books, however I think that is because I am a long time fan of Robin Jones Gunn. A person who isn't one of her fans or familiar with her writing, I'm not sure how they would enjoy them. I also had to keep reminding myself
Ruth
I love to make Christmas cookies. I pull out Mom's recipies and some I've grown to love over the years. They are sweet, yummy, and who cares if they aren't nutritious? I just read two books by Robin Jones Gunn that remind me of Christmas cookies. Finding Father Christmas and Engaging Father Christmas are both about Miranda Carlson, the daughter of an actress who is a single mother. The clues her mother left her led her to England one Christmas on a search for her father. I won't tell whether she ...more
Donna
This novel is the sequel to Finding Father Christmas.

Miranda Carson cannot wait to return to England to spend the Christmas season with her boyfriend and family. She is still trying to make amends with the family that she has found to be the family of her father, Sir James Whitcombe. She so wants them to accept her into the family, especially Margaret, Sir James' widow.

Surprises await Miranda and so does disappointments. Miranda is certain all is lost when the family secret is made public and th
Anne
I read this book not knowing it was book two of the series. I loved it. Such a sweet love story that brings the Christmas Story into the story very well. Wish I would have had this book at Christmas.
Holly (2 Kids and Tired)
A sequel to Finding Father Christmas.

Miranda Carson returns to England and her newly found family and boyfriend. However, the happy Christmas reunion she expected does not unfold as she anticipated. Illness and family secrets threaten Miranda's new life. As she hopes for her dreams to come true, Miranda and others learn about love and acceptance and what it means to be a family. The Whitcombe and MacGregor families are just as charming here. We also get better acquainted, especially with Ian, J
Tricia
This book is the sequel to Finding Father Christmas, and I sure hope there are more to come in this series.

Engaging Father Christmas picks up one year after the last book ended. Miranda is once again in England for Christmas, hoping to get engaged to her Scottish boyfriend, Ian. There are some hiccups along the way, but things turn out exactly as they should in the end.

The themes of faith, grace, and patience with a little romance thrown in, can't help but produce some Christmas cheer. (I even
Michelle
This story was so touching I literally got choked up three different times. The author really knows how to engage a reader's heart. It doesn't hurt that Ian is a dreamy hero. And Miranda is a very loveable heroine. What's not to love about either of them? They are an amazing couple and a joy to read about as you get to know more about them and their desire for love. Ah....

The theme of finding your place in the world, the importance of family, and the far-reaching implications of forgiveness are
Meghan Carver
I enjoyed Robin Jones Gunn’s Engaging Father Christmas. I love that it was set in England. The Scottish boyfriend drove an Austin Healy and wore his dress kilt. They ate bacon and baked beans for breakfast. Tea was mentioned on nearly every page, and there was an abundance of “biscuits” (cookies). In the end, the question was popped in a cottage lit by a fire and lots of candles with boughs of evergreen on the mantle.

Even then, though, the conflict wasn’t over. But I won’t ruin it for you. Brew
D.J.
Oh my gosh, I was overwhelmed by the continuation of Miranda's story. Not only does Miranda find the answers to her questions, but she gains so much more than she ever expected to find. Robin Jones Gunn write such a superb story, I think I could have went through an entire box of tissues!

You won't want to miss reading these two novellas... Engaging Father Christmas can be read alone, but is so much richer if you take time to read Finding Father Christmas beforehand.

Thank you, Ms. Gunn, for such
Sarah Fox
I enjoyed Finding Father Christmas and this sequel. Miranda finds a home, place of belonging, love, and peace.
Erin
I didn't know there was a previous one. I just thought a Christmas book by a favorite author at Christmastime would be a good read. Gunn didn't disappoint. The sometimes pessimistic me thought the book might not end that well but it did. The lessons learned about acceptance, truth, love, and how God plays a role in all those areas were what made it a good read. But really I loved the English cultural aspects, like what they said, and how they ate. It was so familiar since having been there and t ...more
Kati
This sequel to "Finding Father Christmas" was just as heartwarming as the first book in the series. The first novel had Miranda searching for her father and finding not only her earthly father, but also finding her Heavenly father. This novel has her returning to Carlton Heath to her new boyfriend, in hopes that their relationship is about to become more permanent. There is also a strong theme of forgiveness woven throughout this book, and as with the first book, the title is a bit of a play on ...more
writer...
Another new author this year that I will definitely be searching out! The joy in Robin's writing is a pleasure to read and the storyline of this last minute library selection was such a positive addition to my CHristmas, I will be hunting for book 1 of the series for next year.

Really enjoyed re-reading for this year's holiday season.
November 2.14
Leyla
A Beautiful and well written story that celebrates the
True Spirit of Christmas ,Love , and Family.This is not a
romance novel , but does have a touch of Old Fashioned
romance of yesteryear .
Stephanie
If you are in need of a sweet Christmas love-story, this one would fit the bill nicely. Miranda travels to England for an extra-special Christmas with her soon-to-be-fiance (or so she hopes). However, unexpected news threatens to change plans and affect those she loves most.
Sandi
May 08, 2009 Sandi rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Christmas stories, Christians, light romance
A sweet little read, perfect for Christmas time. When you want a book that reassures the goodness of mankind, and the importance of family, this fits the bill. No strong conflict or real drama, just a dose of holiday cheer. Brew a cup of English tea and enjoy.
Michele Minor
This is a cute Christmastime read that brings the real meaning of the holiday into the story. Miranda becomes closer to her biological family during a trip to England and hopes that her boyfriend Ian will propose to her.
Sheila  Summerhays
This fun romance is a sequel to Finding Father Christmas. Like other Robin Jones Gunn books, I don't have to overlook sex scenes or bad language. I like the Scotland setting and the rose motif.
Janet Kay Hood
Disappointed in the last two chapters. They were like the author didn't know how to finish the book and wrote the ending too fast - without much description. Previous to that was very enjoyable.
Stacey
About half way through the story I realized that this was number 2 in the series. I enjoyed the story, but felt that I had picked up a book in the middle. I will look for the first one.
I did not realize this is the second in a series until I was well into the book. It was all right, but maybe if I had read the first I would have been more engaged with the characters.
Anne
I liked the story well enough, but the writing....well, it was trite and the characters stereotypical and not well developed. I found myself rolling my eyes a lot.
Janet
A revisit book for me. I enjoyed visiting England a second time for Christmas. A nice, easy, quick read perfect for this time of year.
Amy
I really enjoyed this one. It's a story that reminds you to appreciate the people you have in your life and freely give your love to them.
  • A Wreath of Snow: A Victorian Christmas Novella
  • Two Tickets to the Christmas Ball
  • The Snowflake
  • A Wish for Christmas (Cape Light #10)
  • Once Upon a Christmas: The Most Wonderful Time of the Year/'Twas the Week Before Christmas
  • Christmas at Harrington's
  • The Great Christmas Bowl
  • Love Finds You in Holiday, Florida
  • The Christmas Clock
  • The Christmas Quilt (Brides of Amish Country, #5)
  • Tidings of Comfort & Joy: A Tender Story of Love, Loss, and Reunion
  • A Stranger for Christmas
  • Prayers of a Stranger: A Christmas Journey
  • Forsaken (Taylor Pasbury, #1)
  • The Christmas Journey
  • At Home for the Holidays
  • Love Finds You On Christmas Morning
  • A Carol for Christmas (The Burke Family #1)
41954
ROBIN JONES GUNN is the much loved author of over 85 books. With nearly 5 million copies of her titles sold worldwide, her popular Christy Miller series now continues in Christy & Todd: The Married Years. Her novels and non-fiction works have received multiple awards and are a favorite with book clubs and study groups. Robin and her husband have a grown son and daughter and live in Hawaii.
More about Robin Jones Gunn...

Father Christmas (2 books)
  • Finding Father Christmas (Father Christmas, #1)
Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 1 (Christy Miller, #1-3) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 2 (Christy Miller, #4-6) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 3 (Christy Miller, #7-9) Christy Miller Collection, Vol. 4 (Christy Miller, #10-12) Until Tomorrow (Christy and Todd: College Years #1)